Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-10-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Week 4: St. Edward vs Elder

Would like to hear some thoughts on this game. Who has the advantage? Has Ed's recovered from their slow start? Is Elder for real? Can the Elder defense slow down the St. Ed's offense an vice versa? Should be a heck of a game.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-18, 10:42 AM
All Region

Elder4Life is on a distinguished road
Yea I would expect this game to be a shootout with the winner scoring no less than 30 points.

Interesting note about this series is that Elder has beaten Ed's the last two times in Cincy even when Ed's was ranked #1 in the nation in 2014 and #1 in the state in 2016.
Old 09-10-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
St Edward leads the all-time series 8-7. Elder won the first three in the series, Ed's won 4 in a row from 2010 to 2013 but for the most part has been a back and forth series. Home team has generally had the edge.
Old 09-11-18, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Quiet thread. Surprised there is not more talk about this game.

Who are the players to watch for St. Ed's?
Old 09-11-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Fan bases all over the state are nervous and unsure if their teams are really good. Except for Colerain, Hoban and a handful of others. The loser of this game will be concerned, the winner will relax a little. Especially if its lopsided either way.
Old 09-11-18, 11:38 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Some truth to that. Though, I do not doubt that St. Edward is really good, it's just a schedule that may be a bit too tough to get the necessary points on. Last season they faced McDowell-Glenville-Woodson(DC) in the first 3 weeks, replaced this year by Mentor-Cass Tech-Cathedral Prep. Significant upgrade that did not leave us with a nice start to the computer points like last year.
Old 09-11-18, 12:59 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Pope's Pick......updated

Beagles - 17
Prancers - 14

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 09-15-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
With the way their future opponents are looking in terms of harbin potential, this is another game that I think is a must win for the Eagles. And if this match-up was not already difficult enough, this group has to make their first long road trip of the year down to the Pit. I feel that Ramsey has out-schemed Ed's staff on several occasions, and I'm hoping we come in with a good game plan and are able to adjust in game to what he throws at us.

The vertical passing game that looked in midseason form against Mentor has taken a back seat the past two weeks. I think that will be needed against Elder. This will be a huge test for the Ed's LB's in terms of staying disciplined. Elder will take advantage of over-aggressiveness with screens, quick slants, and QB draws.
Old 09-12-18, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Elder is good, but not great.

Strengths are QB, WR's, and Offensive Line.

Weaknesses are lack of team speed, RB, and DB's.

If Ed's brings the type of D1 athletes they usually have, they should win a close one.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 09-12-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 01:56 PM
All Yappi

Looks like the Eagles are going down tonight and staying in a hotel. Hopefully that eliminates the "bus legs" that the travelling team often suffers in these match-ups.
Old 09-14-18, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Looks like the Eagles are going down tonight and staying in a hotel. Hopefully that eliminates the "bus legs" that the travelling team often suffers in these match-ups.
I think that's a wise decision. I know there is the cost involved, but I'm surprised other teams don't do this. Or maybe they do and I'm just not aware.
Old 09-14-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
How is the Elder run defense this year ? St. Ed may just try and eat clock on the ground and keep the Elder offense off the field. St. Ed with their backs against the wall decided to get more prep and rest this trip to Cincinnati.
Old 09-14-18, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
How is the Elder run defense this year ? St. Ed may just try and eat clock on the ground and keep the Elder offense off the field. St. Ed with their backs against the wall decided to get more prep and rest this trip to Cincinnati.
Because Elder is not the fastest team () I would guess they are better vs the run than they are against a great passing team.

Elder's best defense is their ball control offense. The Panthers have very little big play ability.
Old 09-15-18, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like this was a great game. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-18, 08:08 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Was a heck of a high school game. St. Ed's big hogs up front wore down Elder in the second half. Bittner played a great game for Elder but the adjustments made by St. Ed at half time made the difference.
As with most who watched the game the decision not to take the holding penalty was a head scratcher.

Either way two good teams and a great game.
Old 09-15-18, 08:16 PM
Scatologist

Nice win by the Eagles. A couple excellent Eds teams lost at Elder in 2014 and 2016.

Was at Indians division clinching game today and checked on score, saw it 28-14 Elder and figured it was another one of those trips to The Pit.
Old 09-15-18, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
St eds locked up a playoff spot.
Old 09-15-18, 08:19 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
I was there it was a great hard fought game by two very good teams. Castleberry the St Eds RB took the game over in the 2nd half. St Eds coaching staff made solid adjustments at halftime and it showed. I felt he outcoached Elder in the 2nd half. Elder refused a penalty at the end of the game which gave St Eds 4th and 1, with less than 2 minutes left in the game. St Eds went for it and converted.

My observations:
Elders passing game is nasty
Trischler is a helluva receiver
Bittner is a dangerous dual threat QB
Elder D line is the weak link St Edwards O line dominated them in 2nd half.
Elder coaching staff made no effective adjustments at halftime and that led to their demise.

St Eds QB has a big azz heart so does Castleberry

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-18, 09:07 PM
Scatologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
St eds locked up a playoff spot.
no they have not
Old 09-15-18, 09:24 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
I was there it was a great hard fought game by two very good teams. Castleberry the St Eds RB took the game over in the 2nd half. St Eds coaching staff made solid adjustments at halftime and it showed. I felt he outcoached Elder in the 2nd half. Elder refused a penalty at the end of the game which gave St Eds 4th and 1, with less than 2 minutes left in the game. St Eds went for it and converted.

My observations:
Elders passing game is nasty
Trischler is a helluva receiver
Bittner is a dangerous dual threat QB
Elder D line is the weak link St Edwards O line dominated them in 2nd half.
Elder coaching staff made no effective adjustments at halftime and that led to their demise.

St Eds QB has a big azz heart so does Castleberry

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Uh, EDs o-line , kicked azz. End of story Take it to the bank.
Old 09-15-18, 09:26 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
no they have not
St Eds would have to go 0-3 against Indy Cathedral Prep (who just beat St Xavier), Moeller, and St Ignatius to miss the playoffs. Possible - sure. Those are tough opponents that include maybe the best team in Indiana, their rival, and Moeller is on the road. IMO, St Eds is much more likely to win all three than lose all three. At worst, they should manage one of those wins. Tonight's win against Elder was really huge toward their push for the playoffs after an 0-2 start.
Old 09-15-18, 09:45 PM
All World

FinalWord is on a distinguished road
The call by Elder’s coach to decline the holding penalty with 1:30 left in the game giving St. Ed’s a 4th &1 to convert on their own 32 yard line was one of the dumbest in-game coaching decisions that I’ve seen in any sport at any level.

The holding penalty would have given St. Ed a 3rd & 20 at their own 13 yd line. Elder had 2 timeouts left. The clock stopped on the penalty. I have to believe that with a 3rd & 20, Ed’s would have run the ball to chew some clock and to force Elder to take a timeout. With a St. Ed’s punt from deep in their own territory, Elder likely gets the ball back near midfield with 1:10 left and 1 timeout.

Instead, Elder’s coach declines the penalty, St. Ed converts the 4th & 1 and runs out the clock. A mind numbingly stupid call....
Old 09-15-18, 11:29 PM
All American

VVSpartanalum is on a distinguished road
Went down to the Pit to see this game live. Was really impressed with Elder, even in a loss. Ramsey, I thought had a great game plan, knowing he wasn't going to be able to run between the tackles against Ed's he didn't even try. He was content to carve up Ed's with short to intermediate passes, although he made Ed's account for the QB with designed draws.
Great game to watch, Ed's was very impressive with their size and the Castleberry kid running behind that big line was quite impressive. Elders D lost him behind that big offensive line at times. Walked away impressed with both teams.
Old 09-15-18, 11:45 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalWord View Post
The call by Elderís coach to decline the holding penalty with 1:30 left in the game giving St. Edís a 4th &1 to convert on their own 32 yard line was one of the dumbest in-game coaching decisions that Iíve seen in any sport at any level.

The holding penalty would have given St. Ed a 3rd & 20 at their own 13 yd line. Elder had 2 timeouts left. The clock stopped on the penalty. I have to believe that with a 3rd & 20, Edís would have run the ball to chew some clock and to force Elder to take a timeout. With a St. Edís punt from deep in their own territory, Elder likely gets the ball back near midfield with 1:10 left and 1 timeout.

Instead, Elderís coach declines the penalty, St. Ed converts the 4th & 1 and runs out the clock. A mind numbingly stupid call....
Final Word is usually dead nuts correct. So I'll go with this.
Old 09-16-18, 08:17 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalWord View Post
The call by Elderís coach to decline the holding penalty with 1:30 left in the game giving St. Edís a 4th &1 to convert on their own 32 yard line was one of the dumbest in-game coaching decisions that Iíve seen in any sport at any level.

The holding penalty would have given St. Ed a 3rd & 20 at their own 13 yd line. Elder had 2 timeouts left. The clock stopped on the penalty. I have to believe that with a 3rd & 20, Edís would have run the ball to chew some clock and to force Elder to take a timeout. With a St. Edís punt from deep in their own territory, Elder likely gets the ball back near midfield with 1:10 left and 1 timeout.

Instead, Elderís coach declines the penalty, St. Ed converts the 4th & 1 and runs out the clock. A mind numbingly stupid call....
If St. Ed's was unsuccessful in their 4th down conversion, the Monday morning QB's would be skewering a Head Coach in Cleveland instead of in Cincinnati.
Old 09-16-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
AS12 correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the clock have been rolling even if Elder accepted the penalty since the ball carrier was tackled in play? So Elder would have had to use the timeout to stop the clock on 3rd and 19, plus using their final one on 4th and whatever.

Not saying the right call was made by Ramsey, as I would have taken the penalty, but they nearly stopped the Ed's QB on 4th. He dove head first and made it by a foot. Elder had 3 guys right there and he basically split them on the dive. If Elder converts in the red zone in the 2nd half they win that game by 2 scores. Credit Ed's D for their adjustments at halftime holding Elder to 2 points after 28 1st half points.
Old 09-16-18, 08:37 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
I wonder how many of you on here would have actually gone for it on 4th down like St. Edward did? Like adselder09 said, they barely converted it. Elder would have been in a much better situation to score at that spot vs. St. Edward punting back to Elder. Gutsy call by St. Edward going for it on 4th down.

Here is Elder's head coach explanation.

Quote:
On the series, they forced a third-down stop, despite a St. Edward holding call, but Ramsey declined the penalty and called a timeout with 1:20 to play. The Eagles converted the 4th-and-1 with a run the next play.

After the game, Ramsey said the decision to decline the penalty was to get the ball back sooner and in good field position.

“Yeah, that was the hope,” he said. “If I would’ve known exactly how short it was … I won’t say anything.”
Old 09-16-18, 09:03 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
AS12 correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the clock have been rolling even if Elder accepted the penalty since the ball carrier was tackled in play? So Elder would have had to use the timeout to stop the clock on 3rd and 19, plus using their final one on 4th and whatever.
Outside of the last two minutes of either half the status of the clock after penalty or an official's time out is determined by what the status of the clock was at the end of the preceding play.

In 2017 a rule change was added that provides the offended team the option to have the clock start on the snap after an accepted penalty. (example, a hold on a running play with the runner tackled inbounds).

Therefore in the play being bantered around, if the clock would have remained running absent the foul and accepted penalty, the offended team (Elder in this case) would have had the option to have the clock start on the snap. Since they declined the penalty, the status of the clock reverts to what it was had the foul not occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Not saying the right call was made by Ramsey, as I would have taken the penalty, but they nearly stopped the Ed's QB on 4th. He dove head first and made it by a foot. Elder had 3 guys right there and he basically split them on the dive. If Elder converts in the red zone in the 2nd half they win that game by 2 scores. Credit Ed's D for their adjustments at halftime holding Elder to 2 points after 28 1st half points.
That's what comes with being a Head Coach...... Lots of "woulduv's, coulduv's, and shoulduv's" today..... When tough decisions work, they have a parade for the guy. When they don't, it's the worst decision is history.

Comes with the territory.
Old 09-16-18, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
For Ed's fans....having seen Mentor and Elder, which team do you think is better and why? Didnt have a chance to observe this game and curious with Elder coming to town next week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-18, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
For Ed's fans....having seen Mentor and Elder, which team do you think is better and why? Didnt have a chance to observe this game and curious with Elder coming to town next week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mentor is better overall, primarily because of a stronger run game and line play. Elder's offensive line was impressive, but not quite as good as Mentor. Mentor definitely has the edge on the defensive line.

But Elder's passing game was outstanding. Reminiscent of Mentor teams past. Lots of empty backfield, 5 receiver sets with multiple looks. Very sound, reliable receivers, with a very good one in Trishler. Consistently moved the chains with short and intermediate passes, getting guys wide open on rub routes. O-line provided a pretty clean pocket for Bittner, who can also tuck and run effectively. Coach Ramsey calls a very nice game. With the ways things were going the first half, I can't believe Ed's was able to keep them out of the endzone in the second half.