Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-08-18, 03:51 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Week 4: Akron East @ Dover

This Friday sees Dover taking on 3-0 Akron East at home. East has won two close games against competition that is typically comparable to Dover (defeated Jackson by 1 and Hoover by 7) and blew-out a 1-2 Springfield (by 48 points; but Springfieldís only win was over a terrible Kenmore-Garfield).

East sounds much the same as last year: big, athletic, and speedy, but also unorganized and undisciplined, and generally penalty-prone (looks like it could be a long night ). Also, itís been said that both Jackson and Hoover are down this year.

Went to the Dover-Wooster game and saw big improvements for Dover since the Lake game. Thought the running game was excellent and was really impressed with Sayreís newfound speed and mobility. Also, Freemanís, Folkertís, and Williamsí speed and athleticism were optimized with the new offensive schemes (which, IMO, looked similar to the Dover freshmen offense that I saw last year). Nice balance of run and pass (Gotta make those catches, though! Could have easily been up by another 14 points if those two long bombs had been caught!). Like how players were constantly rotated in and out to keep them fresh. Thought the D played much better than last week, and a few players had some nice sacks (Stutzman?). Baldwin, Burris, and Poland also had nice games. Mostly, was struck by how much more Ďintoí the game the kids appeared (as compared to last year), and loved seeing them get excited for each other when they made nice plays.

Dover just needs to continue on its current trajectory and work to eliminate costly penalties and turnovers. Still had some issues with special teams (in particular, punt returns) that Iím hoping will be resolved in practices this coming week. Would also like to see the lines continue to strengthen and improve. And, sure hope either Deneher or McVicker come back!

BTW, what was up with those refs, with their long conferences?! It was as if they had no sense that they were at a football game!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-18, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
I watched the East/Jackson game and was really impressed by East,pretty much like last season,big fast physical. And I don’t buy the Jackson Hoover are terrible argument.
I was also impressed by the enthusiasm of the Dover team last night,good to see.
This looks almost like a must win game as we sit in 17th place in the region.
Old 09-08-18, 06:49 AM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
Jackson beat Boardman and Mayfield. Boardman beat Youngstown East 26-6 who beat Ursuline 34-7. Mayfield beat Walsh.

Hoover beat Brush and Green. Not sure how good Brush is. Hoover beat Louisville 30-14. Louisville only lost to Canfield by 7 and beat Green by 11.

I would say Jackson and Hoover look pretty good this year.

Dover's win over Wooster is impressive. Wooster only lost to Wadsworth by 6. Wadsworth beat Medina 28-7. Medina beat Highland 24-7.

Dover's lost to Lake isnt bad. Lake looks real good this year.

What was the difference in the Dover - Lake game and Dover - Wooster game? Did Dover play a lot better vs Wooster or was it simply a better match up for them?

I would say East's resume is a little better than Dover's. Two wins over Jackson and Hoover who I think are comparable to Lake. Dover lost to Lake by 20. Dover has one big win over Wooster.

East 29 Dover 21

Game will be closer then it should be because East will be undisciplined and Dover will get some home cooking.

Dover will try to run which will help East. Dover will not be able to run which will give East more possessions.
Old 09-08-18, 06:51 AM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
I meant Hoover beat Brush and Louisville not Green
Old 09-08-18, 06:56 AM
All Ohio

I think the difference from Lake to Wooster is 2 fold,Lake was better and Dover killed themselves with turnovers, I recall just 1 turnover last night and I think we had some fair catch interference that was not called on that one.
Old 09-08-18, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Should be a good one.
Old 09-08-18, 11:07 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
I think we had some fair catch interference that was not called on that one.
No way, the kid muffed em. It was uncharacteristic of Dover special teams. This team will be sitting at home week 11 like the other recent fairy boy teams if they donít wake up.
Old 09-08-18, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
What was the difference in the Dover - Lake game and Dover - Wooster game? Did Dover play a lot better vs Wooster or was it simply a better match up for them?
Doverbuckís right in that the biggest difference between Doverís game against Lake and the one against Wooster was the turnovers. In the first half against Lake, Doverís offense moved the ball (mostly by passing, but also through rushing), but Dover had 3 huge TOís that resulted in points for Lake:

http://bluestreaksfootball.com/varsi...n-loss-to-lake

Against Wooster, there was obvious interference that the refs somehow missed on a punt return, which resulted in one Dover turnover. But overall, Dover seemed to have a whole new look and energy. Dover tried several new schemes, with players in different positions. There definitely was more balance between the pass and the run, with Doverís rush offense showing much improvement over last week. That said, Dover could have scored 14 more points if its WRís hadnít dropped 2 right-on-target passes in wide-open space.

Friday, Doverís lines will definitely be challenged by Eastís size, speed, and athleticism, though. Ultimately, think this game will come down to line play and to which team can best limit penalties and turnovers.

Dover wins 27-20.

GO DOVER!
Old 09-09-18, 12:41 AM
All Ohio

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1440...ooster,-49-21/
Old 09-09-18, 02:17 AM
Freshman

Letsgostate is on a distinguished road
I got Akron east to win, I don't see Dover matching up to them they look soft and slow compared to east
Old 09-09-18, 08:04 PM
All District

Hobgoblin
I can see Dover rising to the occasion and sending Akron East back home with a loss - East is way too one dimensional on offense.

Huge game for both teams...
Old 09-10-18, 06:08 AM
All Yappi

Unspoken stat:
Through 3 games East’s defense has held their opponents to their lowest point total.

While it’s still a young season it’s still worth noting. Can Dover score more than 20 points against their defense? This ain’t the urban public school you faced in week 1.
Old 09-10-18, 06:28 AM
All Ohio

This is the 3rd game in the series so Dover is well aware of what East brings to the table and has great respect.
Old 09-10-18, 07:14 AM
Varsity

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
East has been able to overcome the lack of discipline to win close games. Can't say I have the confidence that they can do much damage after week 10, because I think they will clearly be there based on the fact they will be at worst 8-2, probably 9-1 or 10-0. Still have a lack of offense, either QB run or bubble screens, but they do get after people on defense and will control the line of scrimmage with their athletic ability and speed.
East wins 27-14
Old 09-10-18, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
This ainít the urban public school you faced in week 1.
Obviously not, and Dover knows it. Cleveland JFK doesnít have the same draw that East does, which attracts players from other schools (similar to metro privates):

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...e-up-standings

Quote:
East ... will have six transfers eligible to play in Week 1 ó juniors Bangally Kamara, DeShawn Jones, Amarian Robinson and Tariq Williamson and seniors Jonathan Russell and Emil Jackson.
Quote:
ďBangally got over to us [from Kenmore-Garfield] and had not even talked to a college coach,Ē East coach Marques Hayes said.
Quote:
ďThe three kids [Jones, Robinson and Jackson] who transferred from St. Vincent-St. Mary already lived in our attendance zone in Akron and fit the one-time exception to come back to your home public school from a private school.Ē
Quote:
Russell comes to East from Kent Roosevelt and Williamson was at Ellet. Sophomore tailback DeAnthony Becton, formerly of Ellet, and senior linebacker Lavel Frazier, formerly of Kenmore-Garfield, are also at East and will be eligible to play in Week 6.
It's not Dover's first rodeo when it comes to playing teams like East, though. So, that should help the coaches in preparing a competitive game strategy.

GO DOVER!
Old 09-10-18, 09:47 PM
All American

Orangeman89
East is a bit of an enigma here recently.
Up until just a few years ago they were the doormat of the Akron City Series. Hayes has sent a ton of kids to U of Akron and other Akron City kids have noticed and headed that way.
I dont see it lasting long though. The learning environment is terrible at East, they dont have a football field or good facilities and beyond a few solid underclassmen, the homegrown talent wont be as strong as it has been.

As for game, East wins with speed and athleticism, that's it. Coach Hayes isn't your guy if you need one play to save your season and they make plenty of mental mistakes but they have enough talent to make it work.
I know nothing about Dover but unless they have size, speed and depth, the edge has to go to East.
Old 09-10-18, 09:57 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
East is a bit of an enigma here recently.
Up until just a few years ago they were the doormat of the Akron City Series. Hayes has sent a ton of kids to U of Akron and other Akron City kids have noticed and headed that way.
I dont see it lasting long though. The learning environment is terrible at East, they dont have a football field or good facilities and beyond a few solid underclassmen, the homegrown talent wont be as strong as it has been.

As for game, East wins with speed and athleticism, that's it. Coach Hayes isn't your guy if you need one play to save your season and they make plenty of mental mistakes but they have enough talent to make it work.
I know nothing about Dover but unless they have size, speed and depth, the edge has to go to East.
Correction, East does have a football field. It is only 90 yards though. Always thought Akron City Schools should improve the field, nice hill to put in bleachers too. Seems only Ellet gets the upgrades in Akron. Kenmore field is bad. Buchtel is ok. At least nice scoreboard.
Old 09-11-18, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

State rankings have East at #2 in D3. I think that is the highest ranked team since Zanesville came in at number 2 D2 in 2012. That night Dover came out on top.
The joint should be jumpin
Old 09-11-18, 11:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
I know nothing about Dover ...
Doverís pretty much the opposite of East. Homegrown kids who are not as large in stature, but who are well-coached and disciplined.

Dover was D3 last year and is currently the second smallest school in D2, after Maple Heights (by one). Dover has competed in 34 playoff games (facing off against teams such as SVSM, De Sales, Mooney, Bishop Watterson, Lake, Tri-Valley, Granville, Sheridan, Licking Valley, Marlington, Steubenville, Poland Seminary, and Marion-Franklin, to name a few), winning one regional title and making 7 regional title appearances.

Under 24-year veteran HC, Dan Ifft, Dover has been successful employing the 5-Wide Spread offense. This year, though, Dover has also inserted the Wing-T and Triple Option into its package. Starting kicker, Deneher (D1 offers) has been injured and out, as well as the backup kicker, McVicker (although, thought I saw him warming up on the sideline last Friday). Also, Archinal snapped the ball last week for Fell, who was out. Defense has shown recent improvement, after struggling the last few years.

Should be a close game!

GO DOVER!
Old 09-11-18, 11:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
State rankings have East at #2 in D3. I think that is the highest ranked team since Zanesville came in at number 2 D2 in 2012. That night Dover came out on top.
The joint should be jumpin
My kid was in that class, and the players werenít big that year, either (except Farmer and Casto). Still made it to the state semi-finals, though.

Last year, Dover-East was a 3-point game until midway through the 4th quarter. And Dover kinda played like crap that night (penalties, turnovers, no hustle).

Liking what I'm seeing so far this year, and agree that the Brickhouse will be packed Friday!

GO DOVER!
Old 09-12-18, 12:10 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
If East can limit penalties and silly mistakes, they will keep winning. I think as the season progresses, you will see their offense add other options and become a more complete system. But for now “Speed Kills”, and East has plenty of it. Go Orien... er a Dragons !

Last edited by buckeye53; 09-12-18 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 12:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
If East can limit penalties and silly mistakes, they will keep wining. I think as the season progresses, you will see their offense add other options and become a more complete system. But for now ďSpeed KillsĒ, and East has plenty of it. Go Orien... er a Dragons !
Dover's heard of East's speed each year they've played. Regardless, Dover still beat East in 2016.
Old 09-12-18, 04:45 AM
All Yappi

Wish I was going. Think this’ll be a great game.
Old 09-12-18, 12:48 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Dover makes a statement that the program is fully back with a W here. I trust in Coach Ifft to get it done. Less Becker Creek more Front Street!! Lets go Tornadoes.
Old 09-14-18, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

Any updates on the status of Doverís kickers? Last year, Doverís key playmaker, Hess, was injured during the Lake game the week before, and his absence definitely affected Doverís game strategy and the outcome.

For this game, itíll be interesting to see if Dover mixes in the run or sticks with the spread. With the spread, Doverís O-line will need to step up in a big way in order to protect Sayre from Reese, Kamara, Russell, and Williamson and allow Sayre time to connect with his receivers (who must execute perfectly Ė no dropped balls or turnovers). Likewise, Doverís D needs to contain QB Williams' and Feltonís rush attack (usually to the left), in addition to breaking up the short passes to Collins.

Tonight, though, I think patience will be the key factor in Dover snagging the win. Eastís players are so anxious to show how fast and physical they are that they often negate their efforts with excessive penalties.

Should be an exciting game!

GO DOVER!
Old 09-14-18, 01:09 PM
Junior Varsity

buckeye.fan is on a distinguished road
It has been several years that I feel we have beat a team that was equal to or better than us. I believe tonight is the night that Dover makes that happen. The challenge will be great but I like this team a lot and seems to play fearless. I did hear Deneher may be available tonight but not sure of his leg strength. Dover 28-27
Old 09-14-18, 04:40 PM
All Ohio

I think Dover has to survive the early portion of the game,we very well might be down a couple scores as we adjust to the speed, don’t panic just chip away and I think we come out on top.
Old 09-14-18, 05:27 PM
All Yappi

Fan of both programs... east by a whisker
Old 09-14-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

What a game great job Dover,down 20-10 battled back to win 24-20.
Very evenly played game penalties,yards almost identical.
Old 09-14-18, 09:09 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Congrats Dover. Nice win.