Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-29-18, 07:06 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Flo’s NCAA GOAT

Flo did an interesting article on the NCAA GOAT and Ohio got a lot of kudos with Stieber at #5 and Kemp at #6. They named a Top 9 and have a poll for #10. On FLR they said Ohio’s David Taylor is trailing Ohio’s adopted son, Kyle Snyder for the #10 spot. Rounding out the top 5:
1 Cael Sanderson, ISU
2 Yojiro Uetake, OKST
3 Kyle Dake, COR
4 Dan Hodge, OK

Polling is open for the rest of the week at the link below for those who want to weigh in.

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...rs-of-all-time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-18, 08:01 AM
All World

Here's the complete Top 9:

1 Cael Sanderson, ISU
2 Yojiro Uetake, OKST
3 Kyle Dake, COR
4 Dan Hodge, OK
5 Logan Stieber, tOSU
6 Lee Kemp, WIS
7 Dan Gable, ISU
8 Pat Smith, OKST
9 Zain Retherford, PSU
Old 08-29-18, 09:10 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
I have a hard time not seeing Snyder on that list. Winning heavyweight 3 years in a row against guys MUCH bigger than him and Gwiz went on to win world silver or bronze at heavyweight?
Old 08-29-18, 10:04 AM
Freshman

OnceAViking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
Here's the complete Top 9:

1 Cael Sanderson, ISU
2 Yojiro Uetake, OKST
3 Kyle Dake, COR
4 Dan Hodge, OK
5 Logan Stieber, tOSU
6 Lee Kemp, WIS
7 Dan Gable, ISU
8 Pat Smith, OKST
9 Zain Retherford, PSU
While we all know about the others, the stories about Uetake are so amazing as to be almost legends (but I'll continue to believe them to be all true!).

- Winning the Olympic gold medal after his sophomore year (and then again four years later)

- Reportedly never gave up a takedown in college, though I have read he may have given up one

- Lost ONE match in his entire wrestling career (including international competition) and still won the series 2 out of 3 to make the 1968 Olympic team

- And of course, the legend of all legends, Uetake's senior year, in the NCAA finals, cruising to an easy third NC, he is hit with STALLING while on top of Joe Peritore (himself a 3X AA and two time runner-up). At the restart, Uetake immediately turns and pins Peritore. On the way off the mat Peritore was to have told the referee "Next time, don't do me any favors."
Old 08-29-18, 10:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAViking View Post
While we all know about the others, the stories about Uetake are so amazing as to be almost legends (but I'll continue to believe them to be all true!).

- Winning the Olympic gold medal after his sophomore year (and then again four years later)

- Reportedly never gave up a takedown in college, though I have read he may have given up one

- Lost ONE match in his entire wrestling career (including international competition) and still won the series 2 out of 3 to make the 1968 Olympic team

- And of course, the legend of all legends, Uetake's senior year, in the NCAA finals, cruising to an easy third NC, he is hit with STALLING while on top of Joe Peritore (himself a 3X AA and two time runner-up). At the restart, Uetake immediately turns and pins Peritore. On the way off the mat Peritore was to have told the referee "Next time, don't do me any favors."
Great stories. He's someone many on this site may not even know of, and only a select few on this site was following wrestling during his era (1964-66). And I'm old as dirt but I'm not one of the select few.

From Flo:
Myron Roderick, his former coach at OSU, sums it up best:
"I don't know how good he was, because I never saw him challenged."
Old 08-29-18, 10:44 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
I have a hard time not seeing Snyder on that list. Winning heavyweight 3 years in a row against guys MUCH bigger than him and Gwiz went on to win world silver or bronze at heavyweight?
Snyder ducked the loaded competition over the last three years at the CKLV and B1G meets. The wimp chose to represent the US at the World Cups and go to weak Russian tournaments like the Yarygin and Medved instead. Snyder even went as far as wrestling over 70 senior-level freestyle matches the last few years just to avoid the gruesome NCAA schedule. Can't believe he was training for guys like Sadulaev when he could have been taking a beating from college guys. Unbelievable.

(Giving credit where credit is due, I copied this post from goStanford18 on another site)
Old 08-29-18, 11:11 AM
All World

Cael Sanderson gets the nod at #1, but Yojiro Uetake and Dan Hodge were both undefeated as well while wrestling in the "no freshman" era. If you count their freshman year a a RS year (Cael took a RS as a freshman) they both come back for an easy win to give them the same accolades as Cael - undefeated 4xers. So I'm not so sure Cael is the undisputed #1, but I can't really argue with the pick because Cael obliterated the competition in his four years at the NCAAs. I think (but not sure) that Pat Smith wrestled as a true freshman, where he took all of his career losses. So he could also be in that discussion as an undefeated 4xer if he RSed as a freshman. But I don't think Smith was considered as dominate as Cael, Hodge and Uetake.
Old 08-29-18, 11:18 AM
Varsity

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
Great stories about Uetake. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he won one of his titles (NCAA or Olympics, can't remember), with basically one arm, as the other was heavily bandaged. I'll have to check my source tonight.
Old 08-29-18, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Old 08-29-18, 04:32 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
QUOTE:

"I don't know how good he was, because I never saw him challenged."
~Myron Roderick

Pretty solid statement. Especially coming from a guy that won three titles himself (only losing twice in that span) and placed fourth in the '56' Olympics. Won his first NCAA team title as a 23yr old coach and won six more after the that. Plus he was an accomplished tennis player at OSU.

Last edited by MPhillips; 08-29-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 05:09 PM
Freshman

OnceAViking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToBe103 View Post
Great stories about Uetake. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he won one of his titles (NCAA or Olympics, can't remember), with basically one arm, as the other was heavily bandaged. I'll have to check my source tonight.
I believe he separated his shoulder in the Olympics in 1968 and still went on to win the Gold Medal.
Old 08-30-18, 07:27 PM
Varsity

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAViking View Post
I believe he separated his shoulder in the Olympics in 1968 and still went on to win the Gold Medal.
Thank you, yes, that was it. I looked up the story again and Wayne Baughman once said this about Uetake: "Yojo was as slick and tough as they come."
Old 09-08-18, 07:47 AM
All World

The final results are in for Flo's final spot on the Top 10 NCAA GOATs, with Ohio's adopted son, Captain America beating out Ohio's David Taylor for the 10th and final spot.

10th G.O.A.T. PERCENT
Kyle Snyder, Ohio State 2015-2018 33.91%
David Taylor, Penn State 2011-2014 12.86%
Lincoln McIlravy, Iowa 1993-1997 6.85%
Ed Ruth, Penn State 2011-2014 6.09%
Carlton Haselrig, Pittsburgh-Johnston 1987-1989 4.82%

Congrats, Captain America
Old 09-08-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
The final results are in for Flo's final spot on the Top 10 NCAA GOATs, with Ohio's adopted son, Captain America beating out Ohio's David Taylor for the 10th and final spot.

10th G.O.A.T. PERCENT
Kyle Snyder, Ohio State 2015-2018 33.91%
David Taylor, Penn State 2011-2014 12.86%
Lincoln McIlravy, Iowa 1993-1997 6.85%
Ed Ruth, Penn State 2011-2014 6.09%
Carlton Haselrig, Pittsburgh-Johnston 1987-1989 4.82%

Congrats, Captain America
Nobody hate me, I voted Lincoln McIlravy. 96-3 in college, 3x NCAA champ, 1x runner up. Lost 13-10 in 1995 in his only NCAA tournament loss
Old 09-08-18, 10:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Nobody hate me, I voted Lincoln McIlravy. 96-3 in college, 3x NCAA champ, 1x runner up. Lost 13-10 in 1995 in his only NCAA tournament loss
If you're voting with your head and not your heart, many of those on the list could have been the pick for #10. Snyder probably benefited from "recency bias" (more people remember Snyder than Bill Koll, Northern Iowa 1946-1948) and also from the fact that he is the defending 3x World/Olympic champ (even tho FS didn't count). His NCAA resume is GOAT like with 3 NCAA titles and a runner-up, but he spent much of his time away from NCAA competition traveling the world beating the best on the planet. So he could have easily been left off the list. Interestingly, when thinking of US Wrestling GOATs on the world stage, three of the top 5 (IMO) aren't on the NCAA list. John Smith, Bruce Baumgartner and Jordan Burroughs got left behind as Ohio's Lee Kemp and Ohio's adopted son, Captain America clocked in at #6 and #10.