Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-18, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post

You're saying there should be no right of choice when it comes to high school education? I thought athletics were part of an educational experience. I thought we had the right to choose our educational experience. .
You absolutely have that right. Athletics is a privilege.
Old 09-13-18, 04:44 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I believe that athletics is part of the educational, life experience. Things have changed though. Athletics can be used to save someone a lot of money in student loans. Or it can even be a means to support your life. This is much more the case now than the way it was 15 or 20 years ago. High school graduates are signing 150,00 to 500,000 signing bonuses. High school swimmers are winning prize money and using it to pay for their travel expenses. Even people that are on the lower levels but still really good in athletics can use them to pay for school or get grants .... The money is so much bigger than it once was.
Old 09-13-18, 04:49 PM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
In my opinion Deer Park had nothing to do with CB. There has to be some ethics in the school administration for rules of the OHSAA to work. Not saying this happened in that case but, if a kid wants to cheat, the parents want to cheat, the coach wants to cheat, and the school administration accepts cheating, what can be done. Honestly, the OHSAA rules are enforced at the school level. OHSAA rules on paperwork submitted. They do not make it a habit of visiting houses to verify residence.
In other words, you admit that CB utterly and totally failed to prevent or punish the main thing you CLAIM CB was designed to stop (manufactured teams of entirely new students).

Look, I would have a whole lot more respect for you if you just admitted (as Yappi pretty much has), that CB was designed to move most privates up a division. Your failure to acknowledge this fact zaps you of any other credibility that you might have.
Old 09-13-18, 04:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Deer Park is the great example that something needs to be done. That is the future if it is not stopped now.

There are some people that see nothing wrong with that but the vast majority of OHSAA members see that as a major problem. High school sports is about students at a school forming teams that play for that school, not the sport attracting students to a school.

IMO, this is not a public vs private issue. This is an AAU mentality vs the OHSAA issue.
I totally agree. Heck, you and I are very, very close on the issue. I just wish there were a way that CB could be applied (even if it only applied to privates) to teams that are relatively successful or dominant.

I have no problem when the Toledo Central Catholics, Bishop Hartleys, Alters, and Mooneys get bumped in football (although I still think you could make the argument that the Steubenvilles, Mogadores, Maria Steins, etc. should be bumped as well). I do have a problem when the Wattersons, Roger Bacons, and Purcells, get bumped in football.

By the way, Trotwood Madison is another example of a school that absolutely should be bumped - are they? Are they close? If not, why not?
Old 09-13-18, 05:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Then quit complaining about CB. The publics don't want to compete with the privates. It is like this in many other states. If you want to compete with the publics then deal with the CB and quit complaining about how unfair it is. Like many have said on this board. One does not have to belong to the OHSAA. I am not saying split from the OHSAA just have separate tournaments and rules. Otherwise quit complaining about the system. They are not listening to how enrollment is set up for a majority of the private schools. The majority of schools voted in CB. As far as the big schools go, they are not doing there student body the justice they deserve abiding by and playing in the OHSAA as constructed. They should be playing Dallas Jesuit. Mater Dei. Concorde De Lasalle, IMG, Saint John Bosco etc..

Actually, I really am not complaining. I am trying to make it better. And I am calling out those who deny that it was put in place almost entirely to move pretty much every private up a division.
Old 09-13-18, 05:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
Actually, I really am not complaining. I am trying to make it better. And I am calling out those who deny that it was put in place almost entirely to move pretty much every private up a division.
Badin will never win the southwest region never mind the D1 state baseball tournament.
Old 09-13-18, 08:10 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In other words, you admit that CB utterly and totally failed to prevent or punish the main thing you CLAIM CB was designed to stop (manufactured teams of entirely new students)..
I think that is too broad of a statement of what CB was designed to do. CB assumes a Tier I or Tier II enrollment is absent of recruiting/cheating.
Old 09-13-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
In other words, you admit that CB utterly and totally failed to prevent or punish the main thing you CLAIM CB was designed to stop (manufactured teams of entirely new students).

Look, I would have a whole lot more respect for you if you just admitted (as Yappi pretty much has), that CB was designed to move most privates up a division. Your failure to acknowledge this fact zaps you of any other credibility that you might have.
If the speed limit is 55 but the police officer watches you drive down the road and does nothing, it not the law that is at fault. Schools are in charge of policing themselves. If there was a rule broken, Deer Park was at fault.
Old 09-14-18, 06:44 AM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
Says who?

Now we're getting at the nub of things. This is what is really driving CBP.

You're saying there should be no right of choice when it comes to high school education? I thought athletics were part of an educational experience. I thought we had the right to choose our educational experience. But you're saying we don't?
They can still attend that private school, they can still participate in sports, the only difference might be is moving up a division or two in the playoffs or tournaments! You have whined more than anyone on this board about poor, pitiful Alter and the big mean Ohsaa bullying them! If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, tell your coaches to work harder, your kids to work harder, your parents to work harder! Is there any other lame cliche you private school supporters throw around when telling publics to suck it up?

I am loving watch you melt down!
Old 09-14-18, 06:47 AM
All District

Now, the Ohsaa needs to bring the hammer down on this transferring bull!
Old 09-14-18, 08:17 AM
Varsity

thecoachmoore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
The Catholic High School picks the district they want to use. There is not a district forced on them. You truly do not understand how this works.

I think you don’t have a complete understanding either. Private high schools are being forced to choose one public district. This alienates traditional feeders!

Simple solution...allow traditional feeders to count the same as it would for a public. Put the “penalty” on any kids who comes from a non-traditional feeder or transfers in. Likewise, put the same parameters on public schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-18, 08:19 AM
Varsity

Quote:
There are 5 really big privates. Maybe 1 or 2 on the margins of being big (thinking St.John's in Toledo and Lasalle in Cincy , maybe St. Joe's in Cleveland) otherwise the other schools are around the same size. A 64 school private league is doable. Again, the publics don't want the privates. Why do you want to be in a league that you are not wanted?

There are plenty of public’s that are just fine competing with privates. Also, what makes anyone think that the OHSAA is only for public’s? It’s not the OPublicHSAA.

Old 09-14-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoachmoore View Post
I think you don’t have a complete understanding either. Private high schools are being forced to choose one public district. This alienates traditional feeders!

Simple solution...allow traditional feeders to count the same as it would for a public. Put the “penalty” on any kids who comes from a non-traditional feeder or transfers in. Likewise, put the same parameters on public schools.

go the opposite way. Each Feeder picks their high school. Thats what happens in the publics. You go to middle school X, then you go to High school Y. Put the penalty on people who want to send their kids to a high school outside of their boundaries.
If I want my kid to go to Centerville, that's my right. But I have to move to Centerville! Catholic schools in a city the size of Cincinnati want kids from the entire city to be able to choose their school. If you drive past another Catholic school on the way to yours...you count extra.
Old 09-14-18, 10:12 AM
All District

Quote:

I used to try and debate people using logic, now, I just decided to use the previous tactics employed by many private school supporters! Wah, wah, wah, everyone gets a trophy mentality!~ If you want to be the best, you have to beat they best. Tell your kids to work harder! blah, blah, blah!
Old 09-14-18, 10:14 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
go the opposite way. Each Feeder picks their high school. Thats what happens in the publics. You go to middle school X, then you go to High school Y. Put the penalty on people who want to send their kids to a high school outside of their boundaries.
If I want my kid to go to Centerville, that's my right. But I have to move to Centerville! Catholic schools in a city the size of Cincinnati want kids from the entire city to be able to choose their school. If you drive past another Catholic school on the way to yours...you count extra.
Your kid can go anywhere, compete on any team, who is stopping you, oh thats right, you dont want your precious to play up a division! Work harder, stop complaining, get better coaches, hold more bingo fundraisers!
Old 09-14-18, 10:29 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
I used to try and debate people using logic, now, I just decided to use the previous tactics employed by many private school supporters! Wah, wah, wah, everyone gets a trophy mentality!~ If you want to be the best, you have to beat they best. Tell your kids to work harder! blah, blah, blah!

Honestly, the tactics have been employed by both sides.

Old 09-14-18, 10:32 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post

Years ago that was the case. There used to be private schools districts. Not sure what year that changed.

THe only thing I will say is not all schools cost the same. Regardless of where I live, I could afford most of the coeds but not Any of the big ones.

Old 09-14-18, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

I understand that they get to select the district they want to use. Their problem is they want to use them all. A public school may get a volume of open enrollment kids from a neighboring district just like a Catholic school will likely get student athletes from outside the district they select. In both cases the CB with use a multiplier for this athletes.

Last edited by spirit454; 09-14-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 04:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
There are plenty of public’s that are just fine competing with privates. Also, what makes anyone think that the OHSAA is only for public’s? It’s not the OPublicHSAA.

Because of the CB. The CB doesn't effect the big privates. it just throws the little privates into divisions that they cannot realistic compete in. Badin cannot compete with the big boys in baseball in the tourney is just my obvious example. The little privates need to play in their own tourney. The big privates need to rethink their model and go the way many of the big privates do across the country. Tthey are already getting accused of recruiting might as well go ahead and do it.

Last edited by BASESWIMPARENT; 09-14-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 07:07 PM
All Region

rampanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Badin will never win the southwest region never mind the D1 state baseball tournament.
And if they do they will struggle mightily the next year in the NL Central
Old 09-14-18, 09:17 PM
All District

micketty is on a distinguished road
Bases-Badin did just fine in the tourney last year. Beat an 18 win Harrison team and lost to a good St. X team. They were seeded in the top 10 or so and competed. It was more of crime when they were competing in DIII a few years back and still didn't get it done.
The more obvious examples of the disparity in the divisional process is not a small private school that brings kids in from all over the county but the very small(legit) DI schools that have to face the Masons/Moeller/X etc. in every tournament situation. They truly have no chance. Facing schools and programs with tripled or more the number of students and student athletes and their kids are homegrown. I've not seen but have any of them filed suit against the OHSAA.
Shut up and play!
Old 09-14-18, 10:58 PM
All Region

They will always lose to a good X team and if they beat them, a good Moeller, Mason or Lakota team Again, Badin will never win the southwest region competing against the LW's, X's Mason's and Moeller. They should not be in that division due to some ridiculous competitive balance formulation. But I have a better solution. Resize the large school division. Better yet force the big five out of the OHSAA and make them do what they should be doing .... Facing regional and national competition. The CB does not deal with what you just wrote about. A valid point by the way.
Old 09-15-18, 07:24 AM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Solon "recruiting" private school 8 th graders. # 1 school district in Ohio academically. They consider the kids part of their school community anyway. If they want to do that, fine.
https://www.cleveland.com/solon/inde...sit_day_f.html

"Because these students live in Solon or Glenwillow, we already consider them as part of our student community, and want to be sure that they have every opportunity to see everything that Solon High School has to offer."
Old 09-15-18, 06:55 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Badin will never win the southwest region competing against the LW's, X's Mason's and Moeller.
You could replace Badin with 50 other schools (of which Badin has a better chance than 40 of them). What make you think Badin is so special? In every sport in D1 80% of the schools have no chance to win a state title against the super sized schools.