Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-23-18, 08:02 AM
All District

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
This apparently is the only shot Stoll has taken in over a decade.
Old 08-23-18, 08:57 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Taking a look at the team race (spoiler alert - PSU wins again), this pre-season looks like last year, only without Suriano leaving PSU and without Joey McKenna coming to tOSU. The biggest crack in the armour for PSU might be at 285 where Nevills, the second highest returning AA, has a somewhat serious injury. But they still have three returning champs in 157 Nolf, 165 Joseph and 184/197 Nickal, and a former champ in 174 Hall. Add in AAs 141 Nick Lee and 197/184 Raseed and they easily are the team to beat. They have some pretty good guys to fill in at 125, 133, 149 and even 285 if Nevills can't go. I'm not sure if any of these weights could AA, but I wouldn't be surprised if some did.

tOSU is probably the second best, but other teams, notably OKST, are right on their heels. And the gap from 1st to 2nd is rather large right now. It doesn't seem like Coach Ryan is thinking about taking a year off and going all in for 2020. That would look like RSing Heinselman at 125, Pletcher at 133, McKenna at 141 (and let Hayes go 141) and MyMar at 184. My guess is that the only one who RSs is Heinselman. And even he might pull the shirt if he looks like he could get on the podium. 125 is weakened by SLED (Spencer Lee Eating Disorder), with Suriano and Lizak reportedly going up to 133, along with Daton Fix. I think Heinselman would benefit from a RS, but wouldn't be surprised if he could AA (7th or 8th). McKenna will be a title contender, with or without Yianni, who is coming off a torn ACL and may be moving up to 149. Micah may be going to 149, where he would be a title contender at a weakened weight. Hayes might struggle at 157, but could still be a 7-12 kind of guy. I don't know who fills 165 and 174, likely Romero and Campbell in some order. Both look like R12s at best right now. MyMar is a title contender at 184, an underdog with Nickal there and a solid favorite without Nickal. Moore is a title contender without Nickal and a potential finalist with Nickal at 197. Singletary had a solid, while not spectacular RS season while adjusting to 285 from 220 in HS. I see him as a R12 now, but this will be a fluid weight.

OKST could put 10 guys on the podium, and if so they likely beat tOSU. I have Fix at 133 as their only title contender (and favorite), but they could have mid level AAs (4th-6th) with Brock 141, Lewallen 149 and Joe Smith 165. The rest of their lineup, while very solid, are guys that would start the season ranked 7th-12th.

Iowa thinks they're really good, but I'm not convinced. They have favorites with Lee at 125 and Stoll at 285 (pending health and other issues). And Marinelli at 165 is a solid mid level AA pick (4th-6th) along with Kemmerer 174. Transfer Desanto at 133 might help, but I have him as a bubble AA (7th-R12) right now, along with Warner at 197. Their other weights are solid, but I'm putting them at R16 at best right now.

AZST is right with Iowa and OKST, and behind tOSU but not far. They return NCAA champ Valencia 174, former AA Milholf 125, AA Shields 157 and former AA Hall 285. They have a couple of other guys in Anthony Valencia 165 and Mason Smith 141 who are pretty good too, although probably R16 to start the season.

Last edited by bdhof; 08-24-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 09:36 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Nelon beat stevenson at the open 2-0 and at the wtt 4-4
Old 08-23-18, 09:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
Nelson beat stevenson at the open 2-0 and at the wtt 4-4
I tried to find the brackets to verify my claim, but couldn't find any for the Open or WTT. Thanks for the correction (edited above). I think he beat Don Bradley, who was ranked in the World rankings, and 2nd in USA rankings behind Gwiz. And I think he TFed AA Tanner Hall in both the Open and WTT. I'm basing all this on memory, and my memory isn't very good.
Old 08-23-18, 10:04 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Two things on 285:
-Amar Dhesi missed two full seasons to injury, so if he wanted to he probably could wrestle a 6th year (with the right waivers and all that)

-Gable is an interesting case. If this was freestyle, I think he goes undefeated in college. However, it's folkstyle, which is weird (Kyle Snyder lost a folkstyle match his senior year). He just had a 3-2 match with a guy who was an undersized heavyweight and a grade lower than him (Kerkvliet). What I'm getting at is I think Gable is the best 285 in the country, but if he takes a loss or two I wouldn't be shocked (including at NCAAs).
Old 08-23-18, 10:22 AM
All World

Dhesi was granted a 6th year but apparently has opted out and is going full time FS (Team Canada)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-18, 11:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Dhesi was granted a 6th year but apparently has opted out and is going full time FS (Team Canada)

Thanks. I saw he made the Canadian national team, so congrats to him. Would love to see him make the Olympics in two years.
Old 08-24-18, 10:46 AM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if David Carr is redshirting or what weight he will be?
Old 08-24-18, 12:17 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iowa thinks they're really good, but I'm not convinced. They have favorites with Lee at 125 and Stoll at 285 (pending health and other issues). And Marinelli at 165 is a solid mid level AA pick (4th-6th). Transfer Desanto at 133 might help, but I have him as a bubble AA (7th-R12) right now, along with Warner at 197. Their other five weights are solid, but I'm putting them at R16 at best right now.
I am going to go out on a limb and say Kemerer is at least a mid AA. Personally I love Warner’s potential, I get not rating or projecting him highly as of now, but I think he will AA. Nobody is beating PSU but Iowa could certainly challenge for 2nd, heck if Suriano and Fix both go up to 33 Spencer might get 30 points by himself.
Old 08-24-18, 02:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say Kemerer is at least a mid AA. Personally I love Warner’s potential, I get not rating or projecting him highly as of now, but I think he will AA. Nobody is beating PSU but Iowa could certainly challenge for 2nd, heck if Suriano and Fix both go up to 33 Spencer might get 30 points by himself.
I missed Kemmerer and now edited. I still think they have some holes but could challenge for 2nd if things work out for them. They're not as deep as OKST (10 potential AAs) and they have only two title contenders vs four for tOSU. So, they could end up 2nd with a strong season by Warner, Wilke, Young, Desanto and others, via missteps by OKST and tOSU. And they need a healthy Stoll.

Last edited by bdhof; 08-25-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 01:49 PM
All World

So there are like 75 teams with a couple hundred interesting wrestlers, but the one that sticks out to me this year is Oklahoma State-

1. Does Fix go 125 or does he go 133?
2. Kaden Gfeller was a top recruit in high school and won the Southern Scuffle last year. He probably won't start this year, which is crazy.
3. Joe Smith is back after his hiatus (and up a weight). Excited to see how he looks early.
4. Jacobe Smith was an All-American last year, but he will be challenged in his own room by Edinboro transfer Dakota Geer at 184. Maybe he drops to 174, but Chandler Rogers is there, so another good guy out of the starting lineup.
5. Derek White is poised to jump into All-American status this year with the graduation of several seniors and the general lack of older talent at heavyweight. Nevills is hurt/may be beat, Stoll got shot, Dhesi not returning. Can White challenge for a top 3 spot?
Old 08-26-18, 09:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
So there are like 75 teams with a couple hundred interesting wrestlers, but the one that sticks out to me this year is Oklahoma State-

1. Does Fix go 125 or does he go 133?
2. Kaden Gfeller was a top recruit in high school and won the Southern Scuffle last year. He probably won't start this year, which is crazy.
3. Joe Smith is back after his hiatus (and up a weight). Excited to see how he looks early.
4. Jacobe Smith was an All-American last year, but he will be challenged in his own room by Edinboro transfer Dakota Geer at 184. Maybe he drops to 174, but Chandler Rogers is there, so another good guy out of the starting lineup.
5. Derek White is poised to jump into All-American status this year with the graduation of several seniors and the general lack of older talent at heavyweight. Nevills is hurt/may be beat, Stoll got shot, Dhesi not returning. Can White challenge for a top 3 spot?
Their problem in the NCAA is that they have too many bubble guys (7th-R12):
Piccinni at either 125 (was R12 last year) enters a weight with opportunities at 125, but still deep with 4 returning AAs, 3 more former AAs and 2 other R12s. If he goes 133 (doubtful), that weight is brutal with 8 returning AAs (2 from 125) and 3 R12s.
Martinez at 157 is a former AA (8th) with 5 returners, 1 other former AA and 3 R12s. And he's currently injured.
At 174 they bump up AA Rodgers (8th) in a weight with 6 other AAs, a former AA and 3 R12s.
At 184 they bump up Jacobe Smith (7th) in a weight with 7 other AAs, a former AA and 1 R12.
At 197 Weigal is a former AA (6th) in a weight with 6 other AAs and 1 R12.
285 looks wide open with 3 AAs, a former AA and 3 R12s. As you mention, AAs Stoll and Nevills have some issues, but you also have Steveson entering the mix along with others.
None of these guys are AA locks. Maybe one or two have a great tourny and end up with a solid AA, while others fail to get on the podium. They do have some solid backups who could AA if given a chance, but again as bubble guys (7th-R12).
And Fix may be their only title contender, a favorite at 133 or co-favorite at 125.

Last edited by bdhof; 08-26-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 09:48 AM
All World

Per PSU website, Nickal is listed at 197 and Rasheed drops to 184. That confirms the summer speculation. And Cassar is listed at 285. As far as NCAA team points, the 197/184 switch doesn't mean much. Nickal is a favorite at either weight, and Rasheed is a mid level (4th-6th) AA at either weight. It does move MyMar from a finalist behind Nickal to a favorite. If Nevills can't go at 285, PSU is downgraded from a title threat to a R12. But no one should get excited because they still are heavy favorites to win the team title.
Old 08-30-18, 01:16 PM
Freshman

Dar_of_Emur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iowa thinks they're really good, but I'm not convinced. They have favorites with Lee at 125 and Stoll at 285 (pending health and other issues). .
Stoll may be the highest returning placewinner, but I would not call him 'the favorite'. Even if 100% healthy, I dont think he has the offense to win 5 straight.
Old 08-30-18, 01:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
Stoll may be the highest returning placewinner, but I would not call him 'the favorite'. Even if 100% healthy, I dont think he has the offense to win 5 straight.

I agree but if healthy is a title contender. Steveson is probably the favorite. The rest of the 285s other than Steveson you could put in a very large bag, mix them up and see who comes in 2nd. Still and Neville’s both have health issues to deal with as well.

Old 09-03-18, 07:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Here's the list of 2018 AAs at 133
RANK - WRESTLER - SCHOOL - CLASS
1 - Seth Gross - South Dakota State - Junior
2 - Stevan Micic - Michigan - Sophomore
3 - Tariq Wilson - North Carolina State - Freshman
4 - Luke Pletcher - Ohio State - Sophomore
5 - Kaid Brock - Oklahoma State - Sophomore
6 - Scott Delvecchio - Rutgers - Senior
7 - Scott Parker - Lehigh - Junior
8 - Montorie Bridges - Wyoming - Freshman

If we take out the seniors, it looks like this:
5 - Kaid Brock - Oklahoma State - Sophomore

If you add in 125s Suriano and Lizak, and move Brock up to 141 to make room for Fix it looks like this.
2 (125) - Nick Suriano - Rutgers - Sophomore
4 (125) - Ethan Lizak - Minnesota - Junior

And then you have 3 R12s in Jack Mueller (UVA), John Erneste (MIZZ), and Austin DeSanto (Iowa, by way of DREX). And perhaps the best wrestler in the weight is RSFR Fix, OKST. This weight is loaded.
Jack Mueller is gonna redshirt this year (while focusing on the U23 World Championships), so that takes out a former AA. Brian Courtney (2x PA state champ, FloNats champ) will be Virginia's 133.

Last edited by Yankeefan33; 09-03-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 09:21 PM
All World

Thanks. I edited 133 to reflect this.

Old 09-03-18, 10:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Thanks. I edited 133 to reflect this.

Guessing more redshirt decisions will be made in the next two months, I'll try to keep them to this thread (unless they are Ohio St specific).
Old 09-04-18, 06:46 AM
All World

Thanks. And Suriano is listed at 125 on RU’s site so I’ll flip him back.

Old 09-05-18, 03:45 PM
All World

I'm not sure how long it's been out, but the tOSU roster is posted for 2018-19 confirming rumors that Micah Jordan is dropping back to 149. Hayes is listed at 149 as well, and I'd assume that Hayes loses that wrestle-off and goes 157. And Romero is listed at 165 and Campbell at 174.
Old 09-06-18, 08:31 AM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
gonna be some great wrestle offs this season! I believe at least one name you didnt expect to be in the OSU lineup will be in there, maybe two names. This is a deep deep team with lots of young raw talent.
Old 09-06-18, 09:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post
gonna be some great wrestle offs this season! I believe at least one name you didnt expect to be in the OSU lineup will be in there, maybe two names. This is a deep deep team with lots of young raw talent.
This was a crazy good recruiting class - Heinselman, Felix, Quinner, Stickley, Sasso, Jordan and Hoffman among others. The places for openings in the lineup are 125 and 157. If we get some RSs (Pletcher, McKenna and/or Martin) then more openings are there. It doesn't seem to be in the cards, though, for Ryan to sit this one out and go for broke in 2020 by RSing these guys. At 125 Ryan has indicated that Heinselman will RS unless he can show that he can be elite this year. I think he may need to grow into the weight and sit a year, but tOSU has a habit of bulking guys up thru their weight lighting program, so maybe he grows into 125 this summer. 157 could be Hayes or Sasso, both listed as 149s in the roster. I think for Sasso not to RS he would need to be significantly better than Hayes, who is pretty good himself. Other than these two weights I think the lineup is set if everyone stays healthy. That is unless Ryan RSs a bunch as mentioned above and sits 2019 out.
Old 09-06-18, 09:49 AM
All District

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
125 - Donkability, Jr
133 - Pletcher
141 - Joey Mac
149 - Mick
157 - Sasso
165 - Romero
174 - Campbell
184 - MyMar
197 - Moore
HVY - Singletary
Old 09-06-18, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
125 - Donkability, Jr
133 - Pletcher
141 - Joey Mac
149 - Mick
157 - Sasso
165 - Romero
174 - Campbell
184 - MyMar
197 - Moore
HVY - Singletary
LOL this would be awesome! I dont know for sure but I think Milek is ready to go, Brakan and Milek are two totally different wrestlers, Milek great on his feet and Brak better on the mats. Should be a close battle. Loser will red shirt. Also Koontz had a good greco summer, hes still contending

184 and up wont change from this list unless injury.

I would not be surprised one bit if we saw a bump from mckenna making mckenna 149-mick 157 again which would make hayes go back to 141. Mckenna had a heck of a cut last year as did Luke P. Again I dont know squat, just going by what i See. Please dont hold this against me!

another spot is 165 and 174 we all have heard romero going down and campbell going up. this makes sense campbell may have had the biggest cut last year, he looked so big after nationals the NCAA handed him a pee cup on his way off the mat after being eliminated from the tourney. BUT are these the two best options ?????? we will see, there are a couple hammers back there waiting to get in the lineup that had decent summers!

if luke p and mckenna go back down and we have a hayes/mick wrestle off then im assuming loser goes up. A couple guys had decent summers where they are in position to challenge for the 157 spot, plus sasso.

on paper it should end up as above, with hayes in there somewhere, but with guys like kinner and sasso challenging for spots along with Eli and Grundy back there look out! One thing this team does not lack is DEPTH.

What if Everyone bumps who wrestles 133? maybe Kinner?

I'd like to see this freshman class redshirt, get strong then take over the world!
Old 09-17-18, 07:20 PM
All World

In positive Ohio State news, Taylor LaMont (Utah Valley, 125) is gonna be out for the year with injury, per FloWrestling's Christian Pyles. Heinselman moves up one spot closer to AA
Old 09-17-18, 08:24 PM
All World

In other news, Cornell's Darmstadt, one our Ohio boys, appears like he may miss the season with an injury.
Old 09-17-18, 08:44 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In other news, Cornell's Darmstadt, one our Ohio boys, appears like he may miss the season with an injury.
Read that earlier today.
Old 09-17-18, 09:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Some minor good news if he misses the year- the NCAA has been giving out 6th years more and more. Schram/Miklus/Ashnault all got one this year
Old 09-17-18, 09:23 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Some minor good news if he misses the year- the NCAA has been giving out 6th years more and more. Schram/Miklus/Ashnault all got one this year
Wouldn’t Hayes have a shot at. A 6th year?
Old 09-17-18, 09:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Wouldn’t Hayes have a shot at. A 6th year?
The medical redshirt is probably the thing I'm least confident on my knowledge in, but I would guess he has a shot and would put in a waiver at the end of the 2020 season. They just gave Ashnault one for missing one year due to injury, so the flood gates might have opened.