Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-18, 06:23 PM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Oh man, you are doing Tangy tailgating wrong if you are wrestling with traffic near Old State and Polaris. Hit Tavern on the Creek near Alum Creek SP for the best smoked (not fried) wings you've ever had, or if you are in a time crunch you can get some decent craft beers at Joes near the Kroger right by Tangy HS and avoid the Polaris circus.
Old 09-13-18, 07:03 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Been there and done that Kramer I agree with you , have to save spots for later on .
Old 09-13-18, 07:39 PM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
These days I might have to call Polaris worse than Sawmill or Avery. It's absolutely unbearable at 5pm on a Friday
Old 09-13-18, 08:03 PM
All District

Iluvftball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
WEEK 4 Cont.

Scioto at Jerome - LP Line Country Clubbers - 13 .
Pannell out against Jerome. At Big Walnut a ref 10 yards away accused him of throwing a punch in 4th quarter that none of BW coaches seen or any of the Scioto players seen. Checked Hudl and no evidence of it on there either.
Old 09-13-18, 08:11 PM
All World

Heard someone was out , Pannell is a big loss , Jerome a bit too strong up front.

Hope Irish win good luck to them and Coach Johnson . May be Rogers can do some magic.
Old 09-14-18, 07:06 AM
All World

Week 4 cont.

Gahanna at New Albany - LP Line GL - 3

Gahanna tasted victory for the first time after opening up with two strong opponents ( Elder Coffman) and NA list for the first time after cruising past the IBbies of Westy South and The Dublin Sawmill Irish .

NA gave up chunk yards to WS and DS in victory but were the better club both times . Losing to Licking was a surprise. Gave up 27 . Gahanna I saw in person and at times they looked good and in a few sequences were a bit disorganized . A lot of new players this year .

I think the close win last week vs. Springboro was a confidence builder. They gave athletes as always , some of it may be a year away but they have as good a RB as there is in the area in Harris who I think may be the difference here .

NA has some good talent to run their system which is a quirky run based scheme that I think Gahanna has a chance to slow down enough to get the victory . Close call but I’m going Lions here over the Country Clubbers East.

Gahanna 24 NA 17

If the Lions cover the 3 The Cafe Creekside is a great choice to spend my winnings

I love eggs Benedict and they have many options here . I chose the Californian ( tomato avocado and greens) comes with potatoes but fresh fruit can be had for a few bucks more .

If in for lunch the Steamboat sandwich is excellent . Turkey Swiss avacado and tomato on a croissant . Delicious .
Old 09-14-18, 08:27 AM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
Coaches in Gahanna puts out a good pizza and OK beer list and Eagles Pizza in New Albany makes a good pie but unforntuately, no brews.
Old 09-14-18, 08:32 AM
All World

Been to Coaches . Not a bad spot .
Old 09-14-18, 09:43 AM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Week 4 Cont.

UA at Westy S Ibbies - LP Line UA - 9

UA has seen speed and talent in al three games so far so the Ibbies aren't showing them something they haven't seen many times now. UA I believe is a step up from what the IB'S have seen . NA is a good solid team no question but beating Kilbourne in OT and handling YOTW by 10 and the games that got them to those results won't be enough here .

Golden Bears 38 Ibbies 23

If the Bears get the comfortable win as I think they will , I will go towards Gallo's Kitchen { Nottingham on the corner of Riverside drive South of Fishinger} defiantly order the fried Calamari app and a craft beer , may be order another beer and the homemade Meatball sub to go . MMMMM
Nice call on Gallo's. ........................and the game.
Old 09-14-18, 03:07 PM
All World

Week 4 cont.

Ye Olde Tommy W at Kilbourne - LP Line YOTW - 3

Kilbourne is a snakebitten team at 0-3. OK the first two weeks they were losing in overtime and by a point. Kicking problems , key mistakes at the worst possible moments you name it is has happened or not happened for them or to them. YOTW handled Canal quite comfortably , then let a 21-0 lead vs Westy North slip all the way away losing 35-30. The West South IB'S then "outathleted " the Cards as we predicted winning by 10 . This one was a tough game for YOTW as they lost to their rival who they haven't beaten since 2011 by a mere point going for two and the win and failing.

I know and talk to two Kilbourne parents whose kids start for the Wolves. Tough Senior year for both . They are desperate to turn this around . Not even thinking play-offs , just trying to avoid an embarrassing Senior year as a team. Both kids are playing well by the way . Could have won both of the first two games losing by a point to Orange and in OT to the Ibbies . { Rumor had it that the IBBIES were looking at Worthington Christian as a possible opponent trying to hit a Trifecta }

This one is tough , both parents are worried that their kids will have to deal with the embarrassment of losing to YOTW , even though that isn't really embarrassing anymore for many programs . The Blacksmith's and Shoemakers kids have learned how to play a little bit .

I am going to do the prudent thing here and in a game like this grab points when in doubt , even if just a Field goal { Or a safety and missed extra point lol} Weird things happened last year and I think may this year. In that case it's the Wolves + 3

YOTW 23 WK 22

This is a big game a special occasion type game. So in the event that the Wolves get the cover and or win here I will put a non wrinkled shirt on with a collar and a pair of loafers may be and dine at the Worthington Inn which I have done on just a couple occasions .

Hopefully Chase and his wife Muffy can join us and may be even son Chazz who I heard may be home from boarding school if he doesn't go to a school chum's cottage in East Hampton . How lovely it would be to see everyone.

I really like seafood as you may have gathered and spinach as well . So with that in mind I start with Oysters Rockefeller which includes creamy spinach and parmesan . I like Walleye and have had the Lake Erie Walleye sandwich. I really liked the Lake Michigan Walleye when I was in South Haven Mi. I wonder what the difference is ? Is Lake Erie more apt to catch fire? Who knows .

Beef Worthington is also really good , it's a 4 Oz filet , with , you got it , SPINACH , Mushrooms blue cheese and some potato mixed in . really good . Worth every shilling . Especially if it's Louie P's shillings.
Old 09-14-18, 03:34 PM
All World

Week 4 cont.

Game of the week ? May be .

Pickerington North at Westy North - LP Line PN - 8

First big test for WC. Grove City is a year away , and Eastmoor was overmatched by WC. Whitehall on the other hand is a legit team. There is talent over there . They are pretty well coached and getting better as a program . They aren't PN though and this game will be a real test for their defense especially.

PN beat Liberty who is rebuilding in some areas and lost their QB on the first series . Took their eye of the ball a bit vs Jerome in week 2 and may be lost focus . Gave up 28 . Were behind in the 4th quarter but pulled it out and held on . Last week obliterated a REALLY rebuilding Orange team easily.

Westy C has some nice talent Hunter on defense is a handful , and they have some athletes in the secondary . They have good receivers and the QB Davis is solid. He knows what's up with the schemes and is using that comfort and experience to play with confidence. He will need that tonight. WC may be a poor man's PN? Got crushed last year as Liberty did vs this club . Like the Liberty game I see this one as closer than that BUT PN is going to cover the 8 points .

WC will score and make some plays but too much PN with polished veteran QB 'Professional School boy QB Lowery with many toys to play with , their favorite game ? Simple pitch and catch .

Too much PN Passing here.

PN 38 WN 21

Going old time chain here . Ate at this place a couple times when Daughter was playing a tournament one year at the Pick youth soccer complex and when she did ODP there.

Beef O'Brady's offers some fine beer and spirits and TV screens. It was football season , what more do we need than Football on TV screens , some good grub ,beer ,and drinks ? Not much more for me .

I like the cheesy bacon pub chips to start may be some onion rings. Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is tasty as is the Roast beef garlic melt .

Good luck and health to al teams and fans tonight . A warm night more summer like so get out and support the commitment of the players in your community.

Rocks should like the warmer night and try to Wear down the Braves up front if they can. Rocks just need to take care of the guy in front of them and do their job tonight. Some kids should be eager to try to make some big plays tonight . Hope to see a decent crowd which helps the team. Opportunity's for a few guys tonight, take advantage fellas . Play hard and focused and you'll be fine GO ROCKS.
Old 09-16-18, 08:11 PM
All World

When I termed what I thought was a Weird vibe on Friday night at Coffman stadium before the game when predicting an outcome came true on Friday.

It certainly was 'Weird " in a way that I saw what I had never seen before in following this program for the last 15 years. It was unequivocally the most flat and uninspired team I had seen come out of the tunnel and go out to play and the ensuing performance was as bad as it gets.

Sloppy is a kind description. Not catching punts , dropping multiple passes , throws too hard , poor tackling, bad design of plays, being caught flatfooted and looking around reacting late , ? check check check check check check and check . Dead crowd ? Check , although there wasn't much to get fired up about.

I knew this game was a tricky spot for the kids off of a huge emotional come back win vs Jerome playing a basically FLAWLESS second half. Kids were satisfied basically feeling really good abou9t themselves which from a coaches perspective is a really tough spot to be in.

It's when you think you have it all figured out and can do no wrong is the time you become over confident and get beat. Rocks were playing without their leading rusher Diallo and that was different but the overall malaise wasn't explained by that.

Olentangy as I often post and did in my write-up of this game is a Bit7c6h to prepare for . Multiple formations for the same basic play-call , shifting each play , fakes feigns , look over hear , catching kids flat footed with a brief deer in the headlights hesitation that allows a kid to get open by a scant separation that keeps chains moving.

They run sheet that no one else does, they have enough experienced guys who know what the mad scientist Solis wants and they executed it to perfection at times . Nicely designed stretch sweep like plays that gets one more blocker than there are defenders in small areas , misdirection plays that make guys stop in their tracks and standing still as the ball carrier barrels into them with momentum getting 4-5 on 1st down? Happened over and over again.

Deep comebacks on third and long two times in a row , multiple first down got by less than a full yard ?

Recipe for an upset of sorts { not a large one despite the Louie Line which I said was too high and we went against} ? YES. Flat team? multiple dropped passes , low energy, poor tackling as I said. Excellent schemes and execution including two brazen two point conversions to stick in the face of the Rocks and their coaching staff?

Rocks moved it well late first half , MEH clock management, just off the mark plays resulted in a pick in the end zone to end the half . 16-0 . Two Tangy TD's on runs by a marginally talented RB who broke half hearted tackles to break free for longer Td runs. [No offense , kid was tough and ran hard but ? Really Coffman ? }

Second half was a different story but it still appeared that the poor first half was going to be the difference as Tangy had a nice plan to hold on and bleed clock and was making just enough plays to seal the deal and leave Coffman stadium with their third straight win vs Coffman in one years time ?

I noted that this reminded me of the UA game at home where the team got down 21-0 but they scored right at then end of the first half to give the feeling that they could come back . This ending was different , same basic deficit as the Rock shad the kick blocked and were down 21-6 as opposed to 16-0 , but scoring a TD seemed to give more hope than a scoreless first half.

I noted that thought kicking off was a good thing to start the second half as the kick -off coverage was good and may be they could set a tone. Well that turned out to be a good thing as the Rocks no only got a big hit on the return guy on the kick -off , but a got a fumble on third down as Tangy again rana misdirection fake to one ball carrier and tried to slip to another and fumbled the exchange. Rocks got it in prime scoring area and went in a few plays later with Senior reserve RB Craig Smith running it in from about 20 yards . A real nice contribution from Smith and a great thing for him . A nice cut off a god surge from the left side of the O-Line and chugged into the end zone .

16-7 after a smart early third quarter decision not to go for two . Speaking of the UA 2016 game that was another great comeback victory from larger deficit , I remember Casey Kirk being quoted in the Dispatch in the game story saying that " We corrected some things and mistakes and that 'We don't panic" . I think that is a real strength of the program . It comes from the top. There isn't a lot of screaming no head set throwing, losing your cool coming from the staff. When things are going south the coaches don't flip out and go beserk. They don't get too emotional . The kids pick up on this and they don't panic either .

They aren't trying to get it all back and act dramatically . It shows up in the way the team can come back in these situations. There is a calmness when their needs to be and an increased energy when it's needed.

Tangy made some first downs and bled up 9 . The game was quickly into the 4th quarter . The Rocks defense was tackling better and not giving up those gashing runs but wasn't shutting them down completely either after that initial turnover and quick score early third quarter.

Tangy got a first down by an eyelash on a 4th down, and then they completed a long pass on second down that changed field position still up 9 with about 9 minutes left that I thought was a big moment in Tangy possibly holding on and winning the game .

Rocks held near mid field. What ensued I thought was a key second mistake { The early fumble in the second half the first one } that wasn't drastic but something that helped the Rocks .

Tangy was punting on third and long near mid field and Tangy punter took the snap and started jogging toward the sideline as if he was thinking he was going to run for the first down . He then noticed the Coffman defender turn around and knew he wouldn't make the first down and then awkwardly while running to his left tried to punt the ball with his right foot and it went out of bounds at the 30 yard line.

Coffman down 9 with the clock becoming a big problem now had the ball at the 30 instead of the likely deeper ion their own end if the punter committed to a real punt ? I had flashbacks to the Davidson regular season game when the Rocks were poised down 1 point to get the ball back near mid field late only ton see Davidson fake the punt and run the 15 yards for the first down . YIKES!!!

Well with that field position the Rocks caught a break of sort when Brown went back to pass got good protection and Tangy made key mistake number three when they blew the coverage and Brown hit a wide open Williamson near the ten yard line where he went down.

Drennan scored right after that and it was 16-14 with a full 5 minutes left.

Coffman played good solid defense as they did for most of the second half giving up no points and got the ball back at their 49 with one last drive needing only a field goal to win . There was a buzz in the air and the band was getting loose as well helping the defense

They had the momentum and the crowd was now engaged in full. Smelling a possible comeback victory .

Drennan gained few on first down and then yellow flags rained down from each side of the field which was a result of a personal foul facemask on Tangy. Rocks were now in real business needing only about 15 yards to have a real good shot at a game winning field goal as Mitchells range is about 43 yards or so .

1st down was a quick 5 yard penalty making it 1st and 15. 3 yards then another three made it 3rd and 9 .

Pass fell short and it brought up a do or die 4th down and 9 with just over a minute left. Tangy dropped into coverage and Brown got good protection from the O-line looked downfield and then went to his go to guy Drennan near the stick and the pass was complete for about 15 yards and a first down. A couple runs by Drennan brought the ball to the 2 for a third down . Timeout Rocks with about 30 seconds left . Another run into the line and a game winning field goal ? No. Brown ran it in from the 2 and the Rocks got the two point conversion and held on for the win as Tangy had no TO'S and 85 yards to go after a great KO coverage tackle .

Ultimate team win after a dismal to be nice first half and a clutch 4th quarter last 7 minutes make the necessary plays win .

I have some more thoughts on the game and the team and the OCC landscape that I will share . Rocks suffice to say have to come out better than this next week vs PN , if they don't it won't be two touchdowns the opponent will score but 4-5 .
Old 09-17-18, 09:31 AM
All District

sscje is on a distinguished road
Well Harry, its here Pickerington North vs. Coffman. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-19-18, 07:14 AM
All World

Big week as the Pickeringtons who have separated themselves in terms of talent the last few years from everyone else face their lesser talented west side foes Davidson and Coffman who both barely escaped last week against teams the Pickerington's would chew on and spit out at their leisure .

Last year Liberty who did improve a lot as the season went on got boat-raced 42-0 by powerful North and ended up playing well in a state Semi -Final vs. Mentor throwing a long into the end zone at the end of the game losing by a score. So in terms of pressure ? Coffman should feel very little just be excited about playing such a good team whose offense is scary good with a 'professional " High School QB who is college level savvy with a stable of athletes no one else has .

Pick Central doesn't have that offensive array of talent , but has the big guy at QB who just makes plays and Central has the running game with a new improving line . The crux of the matter is PC is just big and nasty up front on defense. Can Davidson move the ball on the ground at all ?

As I have said many times the last couple years, the Pickeringtons are at a different level athletically , more depth , more talent , bigger and stronger players and have more momentum that keeps the trains rolling downhill . They work really hard and have good coaching staff's . City talent with suburban staff's and community support. Pretty strong combination .

If the Pickeringtons are on their game they wipe the floor with just ab out anyone in CO and won't be really pushed until ST X or a Colerain comes calling . The Jerome game was an anomaly . Up 21-7 at the half and it could have bene more I was told, Jerome who has a nice deep passing game with kids who have a good feel and ball skills on these passes made a few plays got some momentum , PN took a quarter or so to adjust to the situation and methodically scored the two TD's necessary to get the W.

Coffman needs to run the ball , but their main RB is out , Davidson needs to run the ball but I don't think they can block this team and they won't fool them with the passing game or execute it the same way against these guys as they have other teams so far.

Daunting , is the word that comes to mind for both West side mortals .
Old 09-19-18, 07:32 AM
All District

Saltlife is on a distinguished road
Harry , you sound like Lou Holtz back in the day downplaying your team. lol. Coffman is very good and has at least 3 power 5 recruits. I agree PN is favored but not by a huge margin
Old 09-19-18, 07:43 AM
Junior Varsity

LSpartans is on a distinguished road
Dispatch-coaches polls

Division I: Pickerington Central (6 first-place votes) 4-0, 124 points; 2. Pickerington North (2) 4-0, 110; 3. Hilliard Davidson, 4-0, 86; 4. Reynoldsburg, 4-0, 80; 5. Dublin Coffman, 4-0, 76; 6. Delaware, 4-0, 44; 7. Hilliard Bradley, 3-1, 34; 8. Westerville Central, 3-1, 18.

I agree with the first 2 (Picktown University), Drop Davidson (they have had a good season so far but they are getting ready to see some MEN this week).

Reynoldsburg will give both Picktown Univ a game and maybe beat one of them so they should be 3rd.

Even with the slip up this week Coffman is next (prob a wake up call but they play the other Pick town University this week also.

Delaware? Come on they Beat Buck Valley (never wins anything) OT by missed Xtra point to ville of Mary, Westland who has won 3 games in 5 yearsm, and Berlin that has no seniors and are division 3

Westerville Central playing well but have some tough games coming up!
Old 09-19-18, 08:08 AM
All World

I didn't say anything negative about Coffman or Davidson, but the way it is now as opposed to back say 10-15 years ago The Pickeringtons have a bit of a monopoly on talent. Demographics, more kids moving there to play{ sometimes a bad thing as some of those kids will never start} excellent coaching, momentum where the kids work hard are pushed and have the natural talent = winning.

PC lost to UA twice not too long ago , I am not trying to overhype them and I certainly am not disparaging Coffman or Davidson for that matter , but lets just be honest here , basketball wise, football wise to name just two sports, a TON OF TALENT IS OVER THERE and that gets people thinking when their kids are young/ HMMMMM ???

PC or PN ? You don't seem to have to choose either, you can just go to the other one if you feel like it. I knew the Borens were North kids whose Daddy thought PC was tougher and better , and that Godwin moved about a bit playing musical chairs , but you guys seem to mention kids fairly often that moved from one to the other . Happens far less frequently in other districts it seems .
Old 09-19-18, 08:23 AM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Is Drennen out? If so I don't see any way Coffman can win. He's a difference maker. I think Central will have a tougher time with Davidson than North with will Coffman. Davidson is a bad match up for the Tigers. It will be a slug fest... low scoring.
Old 09-19-18, 08:39 AM
All World

No Diallo is their man ballcarrier , Drennan plays some RB but is in the slot more often.

Against good teams the last few years Davidson has had real trouble moving it consistently in the run game . The closest parallel to Pick C they have faced so far is Bradley and they needed a + 4 TO margin{ Blocked punt} and long passes in order to win . Bradley is a middle class man's PC defensively I believe . Davidson ran for less than 3 yards a carry against them.

This isn't Lancaster of last year with the strength of their O-Line . HD is better defensively though. So it will be an interesting game no question, but Louie P has it at 15 points which I feel is accurate.
Old 09-19-18, 09:32 AM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Harry.These are the types of games where the team goes out there and gives it their best shot and let the chips fall where they may. You just hope for a competitive game and if not,there is next week. The atmosphere at a big game when you are undefeated and the decided underdog, especially at home, is electric...at least for awhile.
Old 09-19-18, 10:18 AM
All World

Yes , you are correct Tiger Alum, I am not wet blanketing the atmosphere and the excitement of these types of match-ups and challenges.

What I mostly do here is type where my mind goes and say what I am thinking. I don't always reveal everything. I think Davidson will have a huge crowd, hopefully he rain won't be a big factor. I figure Coffman will travel pretty well for this one , and I KNOW PN will bring it with their fans .

Games are played by kids at this level , things don['t always go according to plan. EMOTIONS PLAY A BIG PART . I think Davidson will have to play almost perfectly and get a break or two . Coffman has to be very disciplined and not lose the field position and or turnover battle to stay in for 48 against this offense . Run game is a bit shorthanded so that's a problem .

I do believe though no matter what happens that Coffman and Davidson will be better for playing these types of teams right now.

Excitement and enthusiastic should be the prevailing thoughts because Cats and Rocks are making the play-offs and there isn't huge pressure to win these games. PC and PN have a bit more as favorites but they aren't must win games either . Teams will be better after week 10 as a result of these type of challenges .
Old 09-19-18, 12:04 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
The musical chairs of kids moving from one school district to another is almost out of control in today's high school landscape. It's just as bad now with the public schools as it's been perceived to be by the private schools in years past. Hey, it's the parents choice to send their kid to whatever school they think is best for their child but it's tough to face these teams built/constructed by a talented transfer or two. One or two talented transfers/move in's can be the difference from a 7-3 to a 9-1 or 10-0 record. The PN qb started at PN as a freshman, went to Gahanna for his sophmore & junior year and now is back at PN for his senior year. This makes PN a very tough opponent for Dublin Coffman in this weeks game. However, isn't the Dublin Coffman senior qb a move in from Marysville? I believe he moved to Dublin Coffman as a Freshman. I'm guessing Marysville would be a far better team this year if they had a 2 or 3 year starting senior qb playing for them this season. The Pickerington's, PN's, Dublin Coffman's of today's high school landscape will always have an advantage of kids wanting to move in for football purposes compared to the Marysville's, Westland's, Delaware's, etc. Harrycane - the Pickerington's may have a better "Demographics, more kids moving there to play" than a Dublin Coffman but Coffman has many of the same advantages.

I still can't believe the growth of Pickerington football. I remember the original Pickerington school scrimmaging West Jefferson the 2nd scrimmage game just before the start of the football season in the 1990's. I believe both schools played one another 7 times in 8 years in the 90's with WJ winning 6 of them. Granted it was only a scrimmage but still it was a Division I school vs a Division IV school. Fast forward 20 years and Pickerington has 1) split into two schools back in 2004 2) won a state title last season 3) has two teams that are a legitimate threat to win the Division I title this season.

It should be a very good game Friday night. Good luck to both teams and Dublin Coach Creager.
Old 09-19-18, 12:16 PM
All World

If you read my posts and I think you do , I have been over Coffman's transfer history including this year . I wasn't talking about them in this post. Doesn't mean I don't know what's up . Brown came to Coffman frosh year . yes they throw 12 times a game and he is a first year starter as a Senior .

Pickerington has blown up to sports factory emeritus status, FOOTBALL and BASKETBAL FACTORY'S. New guys coming in al the time there in hoops.

This isn't to discount the hard work and good staff's of the Pickerington football programs and the youth football 'feeder" program. Winning is hard, consistent winning is harder . I am the first to say I think Coffman is a great place to go to school and play sports and has that 'advantage. .

Community , resources, facilities, culture, academic expectations coaching continuity , commitment from the community, are all high level .

kids wanting better competition, better academics and better coaching and culture are going to transfer and Coffman is a place that some may think of . PN and PC are now probably the biggest 'Destination schools " we have seen ever. More concentrated talent there it seems than any other district has ever had .
Old 09-19-18, 12:25 PM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
HC, It's hard to tell from a YouTube video so I must ask. Does DC have anyone experienced in playing corner? I have witnessed three first halves over at PN and am in awe of the lack of defensive skills their opponets have displayed. The majority of the big gainers by PN have come by way of the qb scrambling and launching a pass into broken coverage. If DCs secondary doesn't stay home and stick with their assignments it will be a very, very long night for Coffman. Defensively for PN every team I've seen has been able to move the ball but stall when entering the red zone.
Old 09-19-18, 12:36 PM
All District

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you read my posts and I think you do , I have been over Coffman's transfer history including this year . I wasn't talking about them in this post. Doesn't mean I don't know what's up . Brown came to Coffman frosh year . yes they throw 12 times a game and he is a first year starter as a Senior .

Pickerington has blown up to sports factory emeritus status, FOOTBALL and BASKETBAL FACTORY'S. New guys coming in al the time there in hoops.

This isn't to discount the hard work and good staff's of the Pickerington football programs and the youth football 'feeder" program. Winning is hard, consistent winning is harder . I am the first to say I think Coffman is a great place to go to school and play sports and has that 'advantage. .

Community , resources, facilities, culture, academic expectations coaching continuity , commitment from the community, are all high level .

kids wanting better competition, better academics and better coaching and culture are going to transfer and Coffman is a place that some may think of . PN and PC are now probably the biggest 'Destination schools " we have seen ever. More concentrated talent there it seems than any other district has ever had .
Good points. I come from an era where you played for the public school where you grew up. None of this uprooting the family ( or part of the family) to go to a better program.In today's times, I understand it for a city like Hilliard and some others.For example if you have a kid who is great at throwing or catching the ball and has aspirations of going to the next level ( other that the service academies),you certainly don't want to play at Davidson or Darby. However the Pickerington goliath seems to be levels above anything I have seen here in Central Ohio and the OHSAA won't look into it as their programs are no doubt very food at skirting the rules.
All you can do is play them.
Here's to yesterday.
Old 09-19-18, 12:45 PM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Alum View Post
Good points. I come from an era where you played for the public school where you grew up. None of this uprooting the family ( or part of the family) to go to a better program.In today's times, I understand it for a city like Hilliard and some others.For example if you have a kid who is great at throwing or catching the ball and has aspirations of going to the next level ( other that the service academies),you certainly don't want to play at Davidson or Darby. However the Pickerington goliath seems to be levels above anything I have seen here in Central Ohio and the OHSAA won't look into it as their programs are no doubt very food at skirting the rules.
All you can do is play them.
Here's to yesterday.
"skirting the rules"?? What rules are broken when a kid moves in to the school district and plays sports? Every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed I can promise. You need to take your accusations elsewhere. Crying and whining about other teams will not improve yours.
Old 09-19-18, 12:55 PM
All World

Yeah can you imagine any of us back in the day saying to our parents " Hey how about moving across town so I can start a year earlier in { Insert sport} ??

It never even occurred to any of us to do that , although in most sports at my HS there was no reason to in terms of going somewhere much better. Some kids did muse that they may be starting somewhere else earlier or at all , BUT non one ever moved .
Old 09-19-18, 01:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTiger View Post
"skirting the rules"?? What rules are broken when a kid moves in to the school district and plays sports? Every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed I can promise. You need to take your accusations elsewhere. Crying and whining about other teams will not improve yours.
I can say whatever I want Hoss.
So what you are saying is that you are a coach, part of the athletic or admissions department to know for sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed. LOL !
Fact- Both Pickerington schools are stocking their football and basketball programs to levels we haven't seen in Central Ohio. Everyone knows it and most don't like it. Pointing this out is not whining.
Ironic that you sound just like one of those private school supporters when this is brought up.
Win at all costs is the mantra nowadays.
Old 09-19-18, 01:08 PM
All District

Quote:
Yeah can you imagine any of us back in the day saying to our parents " Hey how about moving across town so I can start a year earlier in { Insert sport} ??

It never even occurred to any of us to do that , although in most sports at my HS there was no reason to in terms of going somewhere much better. Some kids did muse that they may be starting somewhere else earlier or at all , BUT non one ever moved .
Harry.

We have butted heads in the past and I have gotten out of line (sorry and trying to get better at being more civil) but I respect your views and your knowledge of Central Ohio football. Good luck to the Shamrocks Friday night.
Old 09-19-18, 01:12 PM
All World

Yeah Tiger the corners are first year starters so the experience is 4 games. I concur that they need to be disciplined in not wandering around when Lowery scrambles and something I see as a potential problem.

Kirk started at Corner last year as a Freshman , but is playing Safety this season { And is a stud back there } so that's an area the coaches have to be mindful of. Lowery also is so experienced and savvy that he is very good with manipulating the coverage with his eyes . When I say 'Professional " High school QB I don't mean the QB is a top D-1 recruit or a physical freak. In Lowery's case he is probably more a 1-AA QB prospect or a MAC walk on ?

Not ideal size, elusive but not great wheels , not a physically thick kid so he doesn't seem to be a transition to safety player , but in terms of THIS level ? His experience is so vast that he is so comfortable in the pocket and even on the run that he can really read the defense and if standing in the pocket be comfortable looking one way even briefly and throw the other way and be very accurate.

Many HS QB'S can look off a safety or set up a screen , but they aren't as experienced at it and as subtle as Lowery is.

He also throws a very 'Catchable" ball , you see some kids throw it too hard one play, too much arc the next, tooo low and hard behind the guy , too much in front and too fast so the receiver can't get to it . Lowery consistently throws it to the hands and at the right velocity in the right spots .

The good news is the Rocks have seen Lowery the last two years, and last year he had some good talent to work with [Harris at RB, Bruckner and Miller at WR} BUT this year he has MORE . Now I take Harris at RB over their kid{s} they use but that's about it .

I think the Rocks have to not read the eyes as much this week and stay in their area or with their man more consistently . Tackling well is an absolute must . Rocks have a couple kids in the secondary who will 'Strike" you , they will have to make the receivers pay some kind of price when they make catches as well.

Coffman O-line has good size and some strong kids , they need to continue to play with good pad level , fire off the ball crisply and finish blocks with good feet. O-Line did some major work in the off-season getting more athletic and shedding bad weight and they move better this year . They need to be a their best Friday.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 09-19-18 at 01:27 PM.