Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-25-18, 09:31 PM
Varsity

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
ColinCat, you have to learn how to write more clearly. Everything you write is open to several interpretations. "Wow", they're good. "Wow, they're bad. Like your use of the word "Yikes" not explaining if it would mean the JVs were good or bad. I used to be in a hiring position for my office, and I would reject you offhand unless you learned to write more distinctly.
I don't even know what you did in your former career, but I know I wouldn't want to work for you.

Eliwes always shows up like a rash when Ignatius loses.

With that being said, this Ignatius team looked less than talented. Hoban had a bunch of sophs and juniors on defense they still wrecked the Ignatius offense most of the game.

Last edited by ColinCat; 08-25-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 03:55 PM
All Region

CCHS93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Talk to Columbus schools about scheduling either team and you'll be laughed out of the room. Don't you think that everyone possible has been contacted, especially since both teams are willing to travel out of state?
I'd love to see Toledo Central Catholic play St Ed's or St Ignatius. Any possibility there?
Old 08-26-18, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCHS93 View Post
I'd love to see Toledo Central Catholic play St Ed's or St Ignatius. Any possibility there?
I'm sure both would be willing, but is central catholic willing? As it is, I think Ignatius schedule is already stacked just a bit too much...went from 3 parma schools and a Canadian to the best neo teams and most of the GCL

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-18, 04:23 PM
All Region

CCHS93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
I'm sure both would be willing, but is central catholic willing? As it is, I think Ignatius schedule is already stacked just a bit too much...went from 3 parma schools and a Canadian to the best neo teams and most of the GCL

I think Central would be willing. We have trouble scheduling out of conferencd in this area as the big publics dont want to play us. So we typically play a big Catholic out 9f mrtro Detroit (DCC this year), Hartley (last 5 years), and an out of town team from out east. We used to play teams from upstate NY but that was awful because the talent gap was huge. Id like to see an all Ohio Catholic league with the GCL, Eds/Iggy, the Akron 2, metro Cleveland d2s and d3s, and the Toledo 3
Old 08-26-18, 06:39 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Iggy would beat TCC soundly as would Ed’s. They are not the team of 4-5 years ago.
Old 08-26-18, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I keep telling you all: soccer and hockey.
Old 08-26-18, 09:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
I keep telling you all: soccer and hockey.
Well, actually doesnt surprise me. The numbers are down. Mentor youth football is gone I was hearingyesterday, replaced by flag football.

Old 08-27-18, 06:11 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCat View Post
I don't even know what you did in your former career, but I know I wouldn't want to work for you.

Eliwes always shows up like a rash when Ignatius loses.

With that being said, this Ignatius team looked less than talented. Hoban had a bunch of sophs and juniors on defense they still wrecked the Ignatius offense most of the game.
that's it blame it on all the players not being talented. The coaching staff is responsible for not preparing the team. Maybe time for some changes. The band and the halftime show was terrific so not is all lost.
Old 08-27-18, 06:44 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
that's it blame it on all the players not being talented. The coaching staff is responsible for not preparing the team. Maybe time for some changes. The band and the halftime show was terrific so not is all lost.
Maybe you didn't notice the Ignatius coaches rotating a number of kids on defense in an attempt to slow down Hoban's rushing attack. It didn't matter, especially in the 3rd qtr.

The same happened for the offensive line. Kids going in and out to try and slow down the pass rush. Again, didn't work for most of the game.

Coaching can always improve, but Hoban had more experienced and talented players.
Old 08-27-18, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I saw the Hoban game and a few observations from someone that knows Iggy football but is not emotionally tied to the program:

1) To me this entire Iggy team looked ill-prepared, I thought Hoban was mentally the better team which I would never have thought would be the case with the Wildcats. I understand it is the first game of the season but there were scrimmages and plenty of live action to get things down. A lot of missed assignments, dropped balls, coaching mistakes, etc... The mismanagement of field position by the coaching staff in a very windy game was a huge head scratcher. Kicking a FG into a wall of wind from 40+? Not getting the punt returner to come up and fair catch a punt in these conditions so Hoban gets another 20 yards of field position in a tight game?

2) QB play was below Iggy standards. I know that they were under duress much of the game but at times the pocket was there and receivers were open; outside of 2 drives they just could not get anything going through the air. Also they looked very slow, the Hoban DL seemed quicker to me than the 2 QBs who saw time Saturday.

3) The Iggy lines really did look over matched, especially the OL. Its not like Hoban was big on defense either, Iggy should have just pounded the ball against the Knights but found nothing on the ground. Footwork was weak and the faster Hoban defense just ran right past the Wildcat linemen.
Old 08-27-18, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Forgot about that fg attempt. Sitting there, I thought there were 2 options. Either go for it, and if you dont grt the first, ball is at Hoban 30, no big deal. Or, you corner pymt and have a good chance of pinning inside 10. Was shocked when trotted out fg unit in very strong winds right down the length of field. Then fg is blocked, which didnt surprise anyone, since was trying to kick low to try to avoid getting up in wind.

Qbs.....some bad bad bad throws to open receivers. Out of the 2, Delahunty seems to be the best option. But, I think alot is going to be needed from the running game for there to be success this year. QB play has seemed to progressively decrease, not sure if it is just another effect of the football numbers game due to mothers being concerned of injury.

Old 08-27-18, 09:03 AM
All American

SuperD1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe you didn't notice the Ignatius coaches rotating a number of kids on defense in an attempt to slow down Hoban's rushing attack. It didn't matter, especially in the 3rd qtr.

The same happened for the offensive line. Kids going in and out to try and slow down the pass rush. Again, didn't work for most of the game.

Coaching can always improve, but Hoban had more experienced and talented players.

As the game progressed they starting rotating in more 2020 kids who are far more talented than the 19 boys. Tommy E and Jett Elad are literally the only 2 seniors who should be starting.
Old 08-27-18, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I saw the Hoban game and a few observations from someone that knows Iggy football but is not emotionally tied to the program:

1) To me this entire Iggy team looked ill-prepared, I thought Hoban was mentally the better team which I would never have thought would be the case with the Wildcats. I understand it is the first game of the season but there were scrimmages and plenty of live action to get things down. A lot of missed assignments, dropped balls, coaching mistakes, etc... The mismanagement of field position by the coaching staff in a very windy game was a huge head scratcher. Kicking a FG into a wall of wind from 40+? Not getting the punt returner to come up and fair catch a punt in these conditions so Hoban gets another 20 yards of field position in a tight game?

2) QB play was below Iggy standards. I know that they were under duress much of the game but at times the pocket was there and receivers were open; outside of 2 drives they just could not get anything going through the air. Also they looked very slow, the Hoban DL seemed quicker to me than the 2 QBs who saw time Saturday.

3) The Iggy lines really did look over matched, especially the OL. Its not like Hoban was big on defense either, Iggy should have just pounded the ball against the Knights but found nothing on the ground. Footwork was weak and the faster Hoban defense just ran right past the Wildcat linemen.
Good observations.

I agree there were a number of coaching gaffs, but Hoban was just more talented at key positions. Their soph DE #22 was blowing right past the senior and juniors for Ignatius.

I was really surprised Hoban was able to neutralize (for the most part) LB Eichenberg. Ignatius kept him on the wide side of the field most of the game. He was moving all over in the two scrimmages and it seemed to be more effective.
Old 08-27-18, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
As the game progressed they starting rotating in more 2020 kids who are far more talented than the 19 boys. Tommy E and Jett Elad are literally the only 2 seniors who should be starting.
And the loyalty to a fault to senior class will rear its head again. I dont understand why it keeps happening. Granted it always seemed to be a thing, but not to the extent in the last 5 years or so.

Old 08-27-18, 09:08 AM
Varsity

Quote:
As the game progressed they starting rotating in more 2020 kids who are far more talented than the 19’ boys. Tommy E and Jett Elad are literally the only 2 seniors who should be starting.
Agree, and not that it matters, but the starting RB, QB, and one of the WRs from the once promising 2020 class no longer play football.

Couple that with the injury to Daugstrup, and the talent has thinned considerably.
Old 08-27-18, 09:13 AM
Freshman

fandawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Forgot about that fg attempt. Sitting there, I thought there were 2 options. Either go for it, and if you dont grt the first, ball is at Hoban 30, no big deal. Or, you corner pymt and have a good chance of pinning inside 10. Was shocked when trotted out fg unit in very strong winds right down the length of field. Then fg is blocked, which didnt surprise anyone, since was trying to kick low to try to avoid getting up in wind.

Qbs.....some bad bad bad throws to open receivers. Out of the 2, Delahunty seems to be the best option. But, I think alot is going to be needed from the running game for there to be success this year. QB play has seemed to progressively decrease, not sure if it is just another effect of the football numbers game due to mothers being concerned of injury.

Not really sure the QBs had much of a chance to throw anything with that o-line ,play calling,and dropped balls by the receivers. More running plays using Floyd should have been implemented. QB1 did what he could with what he was given

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Quote:
not sure if it is just another effect of the football numbers game due to mothers being concerned of injury.

I’ve never been around (peripherally) an Ignatius team where so many upperclassmen quit the program.

Unless these coaches ditch the 19’ kids for Geraci (spelling), Conor Franz, Michael Macnamara, Jack Welsh (plays but should never be off the field), Hanna and quite a few more than his program is in for an unprecedented few seasons.

Kyle is great, maybe the best to ever do it. But it’s time for a change. And the coach they should be looking at (of course they’ll never go away from an Alum) is also coaching in Parma, at Padua.
Old 08-27-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Quote:
And the loyalty to a fault to senior class will rear its head again. I dont understand why it keeps happening. Granted it always seemed to be a thing, but not to the extent in the last 5 years or so.

Kyle is getting old. And with age comes compassion.
Old 08-27-18, 09:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Agree, and not that it matters, but the starting RB, QB, and one of the WRs from the once promising 2020 class no longer play football.

Couple that with the injury to Daugstrup, and the talent has thinned considerably.
A lot of these boys, quit or transferred.
Old 08-27-18, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandawg View Post
Not really sure the QBs had much of a chance to throw anything with that o-line ,play calling,and dropped balls by the receivers. More running plays using Floyd should have been implemented. QB1 did what he could with what he was given

Agree Floyd should have been attempted more. Having said that, not sure he would have had much of a chance because the d line was in the backfield within 2 seconds or so. Receivers definitely dropped balls, but there were many other instances where QB either flat out missed open men, or threw behind etc. Couple average or below QB play with a porous line and head scratching play calling and it looked bad. I do wonder why they really didnt try dumping off to floyd on edge or a screen or 2. He was great on the edge last year, and a screen might have backed off the line a bit if showed it here and there.

Old 08-27-18, 09:22 AM
All District

River_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A lot of these boys, quit or transferred.
This is a few years in the making. What a disaster.
Old 08-27-18, 09:26 AM
Freshman

fandawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agree Floyd should have been attempted more. Having said that, not sure he would have had much of a chance because the d line was in the backfield within 2 seconds or so. Receivers definitely dropped balls, but there were many other instances where QB either flat out missed open men, or threw behind etc. Couple average or below QB play with a porous line and head scratching play calling and it looked bad. I do wonder why they really didnt try dumping off to floyd on edge or a screen or 2. He was great on the edge last year, and a screen might have backed off the line a bit if showed it here and there.

Agree.... everything you said above plus pick a QB and stick with it for the sake of consistency. There seems to be a better choice here.

Old 08-27-18, 09:33 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post

I really didn't have much of an issue with the FG attempt because of that silly HS rule of the ball going to the 20 yd line if you miss the kick. That's the same reason Hoban tried the 50 yarder with the wind. Only hurts you field position wise if you get it blocked, which of course both did. Iggy usually has a kid that has 55 yd range, so Kyle probably figured why not take a shot, hopefully it doesn't get blocked.
Old 08-27-18, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I really didn't have much of an issue with the FG attempt because of that silly HS rule of the ball going to the 20 yd line if you miss the kick. That's the same reason Hoban tried the 50 yarder with the wind. Only hurts you field position wise if you get it blocked, which of course both did. Iggy usually has a kid that has 55 yd range, so Kyle probably figured why not take a shot, hopefully it doesn't get blocked.
You were never going to make that fg, and with the wind, would have been lucky to make endzone, which is the requirement to be at the 20. You are at the 30, if that is the thinking, I'm pretty sure you punt it, worse case is you put it at 20, but much better chance you get it inside 20. Also, with wind and how game was going at that point, you roll the dice and go for it. What do you have to lose, giving the ball at their own 30?

Old 08-27-18, 09:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You were never going to make that fg, and with the wind, would have been lucky to make endzone, which is the requirement to be at the 20. You are at the 30, if that is the thinking, I'm pretty sure you punt it, worse case is you put it at 20, but much better chance you get it inside 20. Also, with wind and how game was going at that point, you roll the dice and go for it. What do you have to lose, giving the ball at their own 30?

Going for it is what I thought they would do, I was definitely surprised to see the FG team come out.
Old 08-27-18, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You also have a chance of a return on a missed FG and that could have been disastrous.

The smart play would have been to line up like you were going to run a play and then break back to a punt formation and pooch it. There was less than a minute left in the Q at that time and to flip field position and go into the wind inside the 20 would have been tough for Hoban.
Old 08-27-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

That was my first time at Byers, is it always that windy there? I was surprised, because outside the stadium and surrounding area, it didn't seem windy at all. Maybe those big open ends just act as a wind tunnel.
Old 08-27-18, 10:00 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Going for it is what I thought they would do, I was definitely surprised to see the FG team come out.
No one who watches Ignatius consistently was surprised at the FG attempt. It's a predictable choice, along with the timeout to set it up.
Old 08-27-18, 10:00 AM
Varsity

Quote:
That was my first time at Byers, is it always that windy there? I was surprised, because outside the stadium and surrounding area, it didn't seem windy at all. Maybe those big open ends just act as a wind tunnel.
It's always a wind tunnel.
Old 08-27-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It can be pretty windy, but that windy normally no