Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-18, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I love the way Franklin does PeeWee football, they have their own program and multiple teams each level, typically 5 or 6 teams with 18-20 kids on each team, more kids get to play and be on the field, and then do a couple all star tournaments as a grade level at the end. In the 5th & 6th grade league you'll have over 100 kids playing football, I think this is partially the reason Franklin's numbers remain higher than most, they aren't running kids off by having one single 5th grade team and only 20 kids playing.
I must say I really respect the way Franklin does there Pee Wee program. Never heard of too many bad experiences from kids or parents that have went through that program.
Old 09-12-18, 08:46 AM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
This is correct but if you don't have enough 7-8 grade coaches those kids aren't learning anything. Fundamentals? Haha, I've seen it take three or four days just to get everyone to show up with their equipment put on and adjusted correctly.

A defined pee wee program managed by the varsity staff is the only way to go, especially 4-6 grade. Focus on fundamentals there, so they are ready for 7th. I think an all time 6th grade head coach that uses the coaches from previous years as assistants would work. You just need real commitment from those men to accomplish that. Might help with some of the pee wee hold out parents to get their kids involved earlier than just 7th grade.

Sorry for the long post but this always gets me going. Parents ruin pee wee not programs. People that bash it probably had a bad experience because most are $hit shows. If a varsity coach really cares he would put a stop to this and get involved with his staff. If you think 40 players with 2 coaches for an hour and a half for 12 -14 days in August is going to teach them anything in the 7th grade you are out of your mind. Even at Edgewood, that has a pretty good pee wee program, they lose a lot of players after 7th grade due to the poor quality of practices, teaching and play time.

In pee wee they have numerous coaches at each position and start practice in July and run though October. That's a lot of time if the coaches are quality.
I do agree with some of the points here. At the 7th grade level you usually get the bottom of the barrel coaches who are doing it for an extra 5k. And yes there can be 30-40 kids on a 7th grade team which creates a bad experience for a lot of kids. It's hard to create a second team in a lot of case because then you have to hire more coaches and schedule more games. The only way I would let my kids in Pee Wee football is if the varsity coach has a grip and control on the program.

Another thought, there is a lot of coaches who have no involvement on the Pee Wee level. I have seen it at Monroe since Krause left. A varsity coach needs to care what is going on at that level because that is the grassroots of his program, if you aren't involved then it sets a bad impression in my opinion.
Old 09-12-18, 09:40 AM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A defined pee wee program managed by the varsity staff is the only way to go, especially 4-6 grade. Focus on fundamentals there, so they are ready for 7th. I think an all time 6th grade head coach that uses the coaches from previous years as assistants would work. You just need real commitment from those men to accomplish that. Might help with some of the pee wee hold out parents to get their kids involved earlier than just 7th grade.
This is the key. Too many varsity head coaches don't understand the importance of being involved or designating someone from their staff to be involved in the pee-wee program. The pee-wee program is an extension of the varsity program and should be treated as such. Hosting a camp for a couple of days in the summer does not help build your program.

When I played in pee wee in Middletown as a kid, the program was similar to what Franklin was doing. 6-8 teams at each level, sometimes more, then an all-star team at the end of the season. I liked that better than what most districts do now. I don't think pee-wee teams should get to play on varsity fields and use the locker rooms and stuff I see now. When I was a kid, we were dying to get on that Barnitz grass as 7th graders. It meant something, I just don't see that now.
Old 09-12-18, 10:18 AM
All Region

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
This is the key. Too many varsity head coaches don't understand the importance of being involved or designating someone from their staff to be involved in the pee-wee program. The pee-wee program is an extension of the varsity program and should be treated as such. Hosting a camp for a couple of days in the summer does not help build your program.

When I played in pee wee in Middletown as a kid, the program was similar to what Franklin was doing. 6-8 teams at each level, sometimes more, then an all-star team at the end of the season. I liked that better than what most districts do now. I don't think pee-wee teams should get to play on varsity fields and use the locker rooms and stuff I see now. When I was a kid, we were dying to get on that Barnitz grass as 7th graders. It meant something, I just don't see that now.

I think the big problem is also too many kids on a team. Edgewood switched to one team per grade which has hurt the program. They really need an A team and a B team. Problem is, the parents aren't socially mature enough to accept that lil Johnny might be a B team player. Separating would allow the less skilled players to work more on the things they need and not hold back the more skilled guys. Also, more playing time for the B skilled guys to get better and stay involved.

Combining dumbs down the entire program and hurts all the players. Lesser skilled never get the time they need to improve. More skilled get shorted playing time, get frustrated and quit playing.

Pandering to this new mediocre ideology has consequences; they're coming.
Old 09-12-18, 10:33 AM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I love the way Franklin does PeeWee football, they have their own program and multiple teams each level, typically 5 or 6 teams with 18-20 kids on each team, more kids get to play and be on the field, and then do a couple all star tournaments as a grade level at the end. In the 5th & 6th grade league you'll have over 100 kids playing football, I think this is partially the reason Franklin's numbers remain higher than most, they aren't running kids off by having one single 5th grade team and only 20 kids playing.
Franklin does a great job with their pee wee program. From the coaches, kids, parents, little cheerleaders. It is top notch and they get everyone involved and even bring the little cheerleaders and pee wee players to a parade/game. It helps keep the community and kids engaged.
Old 09-12-18, 11:21 AM
All District

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There was a chip on their shoulder about being a Vail Bulldog (7&8) as well being from Middletown.
Old 09-12-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
I think if PeeWee started after school started with practices and were run by coaches that passed some training classes along with safety training you'd have a much better result. I also think no Dad's should coach their sons team.
Milton had, back when I was in peewee, the same coaches each grade and the 6th grade coach could've been the varsity head coach.
When we went into 7th, we knew the playbook and we knew the varsity coaches. There was a peer expectation put on the Jr high teams. When that 6th grade coach retired the varsity program went downhill quickly.
Milton hasnt recovered yet. Had a few good years but not like it used to be back in the 50s through the 70s and early 80s.
Milton left the SWBL peewee and are now in the CCC peewee. Much more competitive games and less pressure to win. It's all about the fundamentals.
Old 09-12-18, 01:17 PM
All Region

Good points but, its hard to get volunteers when they donít have kids on the team. No one wants to do anything if not for themselves in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-18, 01:21 PM
Varsity

VVboys32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
I think if PeeWee started after school started with practices and were run by coaches that passed some training classes along with safety training you'd have a much better result. I also think no Dad's should coach their sons team.
Milton had, back when I was in peewee, the same coaches each grade and the 6th grade coach could've been the varsity head coach.
When we went into 7th, we knew the playbook and we knew the varsity coaches. There was a peer expectation put on the Jr high teams. When that 6th grade coach retired the varsity program went downhill quickly.
Milton hasnt recovered yet. Had a few good years but not like it used to be back in the 50s through the 70s and early 80s.
Milton left the SWBL peewee and are now in the CCC peewee. Much more competitive games and less pressure to win. It's all about the fundamentals.

In a perfect world, I agree. Problem is that anymore, no one outside of DADS are willing to put the time in for zero $ to coach peewee teams. Iím not against dads coaching peewee teams with their son on the team as long as heís only a coach and not a dad when they step on the field. Unfortunately that is not always the case. If a dad is coaching and he knows his xís and oís about development of football players, I would much rather him coach than somebody that gets first dibs because they are a teacher or whatever but doesnít know crap about what theyíre doing!

Old 09-12-18, 01:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
There was a chip on their shoulder about being a Vail Bulldog (7&8) as well being from Middletown.
I may or may not have carried around one of those chips back in the day.
Old 09-12-18, 02:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Good points but, its hard to get volunteers when they donít have kids on the team. No one wants to do anything if not for themselves in this day and age.

Part of the problem is that it is a thankless job that few people respect. It's the same reason why referees and umpires and aging out throughout the state, who wants to deal with all the pissing and moaning of parents when their baby gets yelled at or doesn't get to play enough. My wife is a volunteer travel softball coach and I feel bad for her most of the time, but I promise you she wouldn't put up with near the crap if our daughter wasn't on the team. I would say the days of non-parent volunteers are all but dead and gone.
Old 09-12-18, 03:20 PM
All District

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I may or may not have carried around one of those chips back in the day.
I am not complaining. You guys wanted it to be physical and you expected to win. That is the way it should be.
Old 09-12-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Al Daum coached peewee football in West Milton from the inception in 1968 to 1990 I believe. He had a kid in Milton schools in the 60s. After that it was all volunteer and paying back to the school. He was on the first ever undefeated Milton Union team in 1948.
Where did those guys go? They were all over West Milton when I was growing up.
Old 09-12-18, 05:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Al Daum coached peewee football in West Milton from the inception in 1968 to 1990 I believe. He had a kid in Milton schools in the 60s. After that it was all volunteer and paying back to the school. He was on the first ever undefeated Milton Union team in 1948.
Where did those guys go? They were all over West Milton when I was growing up.

Same here. Always had the same ďold guysĒ coaching us.

I donít get out much, on purpose, but a few weeks ago we went to Liberty for a movie and walked around a bit because we were early. Holy crap, been out there? The world is full of ninny beta males that walk from the hips and dress like girls.

Iím afraid itís over.

Old 09-12-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

I see it all of the time.
Old 09-12-18, 06:37 PM
Freshman

65Card is on a distinguished road
How are Valley View's 7th and 8th grade teams doing? I hear they are very talented. Also, how are the JV's doing? I know they beat Wilmington, but I did not hear how they did after that. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-14-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Longest running win streak against a fellow SWBL opponent? Who are the two teams?
Hint: Started in the old, old SWBL. Northmont, Trotwood, Butler, Northridge, Oakwood, Tipp City, Eaton, West Carrollton, Milton-Union, and Brookville.
Old 09-14-18, 02:44 PM
Freshman

65Card is on a distinguished road
Uh, I'll guess MU; see what I did there?
Old 09-14-18, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Lol. It is Milton vs Northridge. It's been over 40 years. 1974, Northridge won 7-6.
Uh, you sound like hoser.

Last edited by BlessEmAll; 09-14-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

I posted a thread for score updates for SWBL schools only. Hopefully it gets some traction.
Old 09-14-18, 06:26 PM
All Region

BBfootball92 is an unknown quantity at this point
21-0 B.B. winning 2:11 1st quarter
Old 09-14-18, 06:33 PM
All Region

Cedric Ferguson 47 yard td run
28-0 11:51 2bd quarter
Old 09-14-18, 06:41 PM
All Region

27 yard td pass
35-0 9:41 to go in 2nd
Old 09-14-18, 06:59 PM
All Region

42-0 B.B. over waynesville 21 sec 1st half
10 yards td pass
Old 09-14-18, 08:56 PM
All Region

49-0 in 3rd when I left
Old 09-15-18, 05:05 AM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Monroe-Franklin

Franklin secures first victory, keeps Hornets winless

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...XzfTQNDKloaFP/
Old 09-15-18, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

Congrats to all of this week's winners.

Valley View over Oakwood
Franklin over Monroe
Brookville over Eaton
Madison over Preble Shawnee
Bellbrook over Waynesville
Milton-Union over Northridge
Dixie over Carlisle
Old 09-16-18, 04:13 PM
All American

eagle172 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eagle172
week 5 match-ups

Madisons at Milton-union and a win up there should almost guarantee an un

defeated reg. season. Madison rolls in this one! Bellbrook has Franklin this week and Valley View next week. The 'Cats or Spartans are going to have to step up and knock them off or they will run the table also.The young cats are starting to show improvement and could make a game out of it if they don't turn the ball over. Valley view gets them at home and will be a tough out .
Old 09-16-18, 05:57 PM
All Yappi

Madison will beat Milton. They will beat everyone left on their league schedule.
Buckeye Division is very weak outside of class Madison. The SWBL in general only has three very good teams. Madison, Valley View and Bellbrook.
Old 09-17-18, 01:49 PM
All World

ex_dc_atc is on a distinguished road
This should be a big week for Franklin. If they can beat BB, I could see them turning their season around. If not, that's probably the end of their playoff hopes.