Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-19-18, 02:09 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
The Ottawa Hills vs Toledo Christian game should be a good one. Both are playing good basketball right now.

Anyone else see the TC freshman (Wensik sp) drive the lane vs Anthony Wayne, jump off his off (right) foot and lay the ball in with his elbow at the rim? Kid might be 6'. He is pretty skilled with a high motor. He is going to be a great player.
Old 02-21-18, 02:57 PM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
OH is the surprise of the TAAC, they have come very far with a young solid squad not spectacular players but solid and very coachable.

Lindsay and his staff are very good at putting their players in position to be successful, Coil and Cummings work the hi-low very well. Silk provides great shooting and timely plays. With a win they can finish tied for 2nd in the TAAC. Which is totally unreal considering what everyone in the league had coming back.

TC over achieved this year Mc Whinnie did well with loses from last year. Freshman come along way and Delano and Mc Gill did great as seniors.

MV under achieved given what they had coming back from last year. 3 top 10 scores and 2 top rebounders and what they had coming in as well. Too much turmoil apparently. They started season with Kynard, Woodley, Johnson, and two other seniors. Unable to combine old and new.

TC and OH have chance to meet again in tournament both are playing well. MV lost big and will have problems beating either in a tournament game.
Old 02-21-18, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post

MV under achieved given what they had coming back from last year. 3 top 10 scores and 2 top rebounders and what they had coming in as well. Too much turmoil apparently. They started season with Kynard, Woodley, Johnson, and two other seniors. Unable to combine old and new.

Who should they have beaten, that they didn't and by how much? CS was the preseason vote for first, unanimously. MV and TC a very close 2nd and 3rd. And if MV had beaten them all, considering the losses are to OH, CS and TC, is that what would have been necessary for you to say that those teams underachieved?

Looking at the schedule, MV played both OH and TC 1-1, home game wins. Lost by 9, won by 9. Lost by 6, won by 10.

MV's loss to the unanimous predicted winner was only 4 on the home court.

A league with 4 very good teams and you want to say ONE of them, the D4, "underachieved?" "Too much turmoil apparently." Come-on, this schtick is getting more and more transparent.
Old 02-21-18, 07:27 PM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
i am not sure if there is anyone who does more with less than Coach Lindsay at OH. His track record has been crazy good. I know and understand he has had some talent over the years, but the last couple years have been unbelievable.

MV should have kicked Kynard and his daddy to the curb a while ago. I thought that kid had some talent, but i feel bad for the kid with his dad making the moves. Hes playing at Monclova last time i heard, not even an OHSAA school......well maybe hes moved on from there since.
Old 02-21-18, 09:58 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKnowIt View Post
i am not sure if there is anyone who does more with less than Coach Lindsay at OH. His track record has been crazy good. I know and understand he has had some talent over the years, but the last couple years have been unbelievable.

MV should have kicked Kynard and his daddy to the curb a while ago. I thought that kid had some talent, but i feel bad for the kid with his dad making the moves. Hes playing at Monclova last time i heard, not even an OHSAA school......well maybe hes moved on from there since.
Agreed on the last couple of years and he has pulled the rabbit out of the hat again this year. Something a lot of folks forget though is that he has had a pretty signfiicant level of talent (by TAAC standards) over the last 8-10 years. He has had several D1 caliber athletes(Browarsky, Beans, Beans, Coil, etc.) and only got to state once. I've been accused of being a negative nancy around here and don't want to be, but I saw Crestview absolutely destroy a much larger and widely heralded Ottawa Hills team back in 13-14. I'm wondering if he is pulling a Marvin Lewis deal, where he can stay out of the basement but can't get to the proverbial top...or maybe I'm just critical.

As far as Kynard goes, that was one of the oddest stories I have ever read. MV looked like they were getting into their groove before Woodley got hurt. It's too bad for him and I hope he will be ok.
Old 02-21-18, 10:16 PM
Freshman

Eagle22 is on a distinguished road
They did go to state a while back and have made another elite 8 (or maybe 2). Crestview won state and dominated everybody that year. Ottawa Hills lacked great guard play that year. The league is a solid d3 and d4 league now. It hasnít always been the case, but the upper teams are good.

I am not sold Stritch beats Genoa and Archbold. TC will have to beat a very good Pettisville team to set up a potential rematch with MV or Ottawa Hills. Should be a fun few weeks.
Old 02-22-18, 10:26 AM
Varsity

You are right eastisbest! Good year for them overall.

The MV team I saw at Lima Super Scrimmage with Kynard had potential to make a run in the state. Woodley was terrific in those games and Kynard made life easy for Jackson with set up passes. That group would've been hell to deal with on the floor with Jett and Coleman/Johnson.
Old 02-22-18, 10:47 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
I agree with BackToBack if Woodley would be healthy i would put MV on the list to win that napoleon district.

As for Lindsay, hes been to the regional countless times and that says something coming from the TAAC which is a much improved basketball conference. Yes he had a run of good talent and prolly got upset in the regional final against leipsic the one year, but you can't hold the Crestview game against anyone. They were by far the best team in the state. For years OH use to go south for district and always ran into really good teams like Van Buren and Kalida, now they are pushed west which is much more reasonable. Also they spent 3-4 years in d3 and made the district finals a couple times.
Old 02-22-18, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
You are right eastisbest! Good year for them overall.

The MV team I saw at Lima Super Scrimmage with Kynard had potential to make a run in the state. Woodley was terrific in those games and Kynard made life easy for Jackson with set up passes. That group would've been hell to deal with on the floor with Jett and Coleman/Johnson.
As someone pointed, they seem to have improved later in the year, maybe had even more potential. The injury to Woodley,... Wonder what's left in the tank, not much time to adjust to that.

Four Toledo teams and the closest game is Wauseon. Napoleon? Bryan? What Ft Wayne was all booked up?

Only one district, a D1 seems to have any early games around here. Not much to see and even then, only one regional final. Bah.
Old 02-22-18, 11:51 AM
Varsity

As strange but unfortunate luck would have it heard Woodley is gone for season ACl so is the young man from Montpelier who dropped 34 on MV just last week Kolden Uribes. He just scored his 1500 pt and got hurt next play. Woodley's was just as freaky!

So strong possibility that OH will see MV in tournament if they get past Stryker. We will see what OH does with TC this Friday at home.
Old 02-22-18, 06:37 PM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
As someone pointed, they seem to have improved later in the year, maybe had even more potential. The injury to Woodley,... Wonder what's left in the tank, not much time to adjust to that.

Four Toledo teams and the closest game is Wauseon. Napoleon? Bryan? What Ft Wayne was all booked up?

Only one district, a D1 seems to have any early games around here. Not much to see and even then, only one regional final. Bah.
East,

You are funny with this travel thing for tournament...here in Fayette we say we are right down the road from Toledo. If we are traveling and people ask we simply say Toledo. Wauseon is only 25 minutes from Toledo by Turnpike. 35 minutes down Airport Highway and Central Avenue is a 35 minute trip at the most. Ottawa Hills and MVCD are closer to Wauseon then you think. Both are quality teams and will be a tough out.
Old 02-22-18, 08:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
East,

You are funny with this travel thing for tournament...here in Fayette we say we are right down the road from Toledo. If we are traveling and people ask we simply say Toledo. Wauseon is only 25 minutes from Toledo by Turnpike. .
Here in Toledo we say we are right down the road from the game. I wasn't speaking directly to this division but all divisions. Seems like in past past years, we had more games to go to in the city. Games were probably filled with non-aligned basketball fans more than aligned fans, depending upon the venue.
Old 02-23-18, 06:14 AM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Here in Toledo we say we are right down the road from the game. I wasn't speaking directly to this division but all divisions. Seems like in past past years, we had more games to go to in the city. Games were probably filled with non-aligned basketball fans more than aligned fans, depending upon the venue.
That is a valid point about games in Toledo. The OHSAA is the culprit there with the reorganization and new enrollment figures. This sent quite a few teams in different directions this year. Waite Field House was always a great site for tournament games, Clay has a nice gym from what I remember, Whitmer has a nice gym, Southview is a nice facility as well as Perrysburg.

Part of the solution is that the schools have to "want" to host the tournament games also and some don't because it is difficult to find people to help work the games.

Best solution is to copy the NorthEast and East Districts...the Sectional games are hosted by the higher seeded team and the "neutral floor" doesn't come in to play until the Districts. Some may look at this as a reward for a good regular season and some may see it as punishment for having a bad season. I actually like this format and think it would work very well here in the NW District. Plus it would give you the "Toledo" games you desire.
Old 02-23-18, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

There's one of those street hoops in my neighbor's yard. I'm pushing for that as a solution. It's a nice easy to get to location. All the seats will be filled. Plenty of beer concessions. You have to call your shot though.
Old 02-28-18, 10:03 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Tournament Results

D3
Gibsonburg beat Lake 69-60. Will play Stritch (Bye) 3/2 in sectional final.

Northwood plays Genoa 2/28 in sectional.

D4
Ottawa Hills beat Montpelier 57-17. Will play Stryker (Bye) 3/2 in sectional final.

Emmanuel Christian beat North Central 43-40. Will play Maumee Valley (bye) 3/2 in sectional final.

Danbury lost to Mansfield St. Pete 71-28.

Toledo Christian (Bye) plays Fayette 3/2 in sectional final.
Old 03-01-18, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

Some tight games, some ouch. I'm beginning to think play-in game should be almost mandatory. Haves and have nots divide seems to be catching up with the girl's game. Give the have-nots at least one competitive game.
Old 03-01-18, 08:16 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Northwood lost to Genoa 81-41. Genoa will play Rossford in sectional final 3/2.
Old 03-01-18, 10:32 AM
Freshman

Ottawa Hills was probably going to handle Montpelier anyways, but they had a player who just broke 1500 points go down with an injury. One top end player can make a big difference.
Old 03-01-18, 10:33 AM
Freshman

I just don’t think it would have been a 57-17 waste of time type game.
Old 08-28-18, 01:35 PM
All Region

After a very strong summer schedule Stritch upgraded their regular season schedule. Still a couple tomato cans, but some good games to look forward to.

November 30 Waite Home 7:30 pm
December 4 Erie Mason Home 7:30 pm
December 8 Bedford Away 1:30 pm
December 13 Evergreen Home 7:30 pm
December 15 Emmanuel Christian Home 7:30 pm
December 18 McComb Home 7:30 pm
December 22 Toledo Christian Away 7:30 pm

Sonic Slam Tournament/Lebanon, TN
December 27 Sonic Slam Tournament Away TBD
December 28 Sonic Slam Tournament Away TBD
December 29 Sonic Slam Tournament Away TBD

January 4 Central Catholic Away 7:30 pm
January 8 Ottawa Hills Away 7:30 pm
January 15 Northwood Home 7:30 pm
January 18 Maumee Valley Away 7:30 pm

Flyin’ To The Hoop/James S. Trent Arena
January 19 TBD Away TBD
January 20 TBD Away TBD
January 21 TBD Away TBD

January 25 Emmanuel Christian Away 7:30 pm
February 1 Toledo Christian Home 7:30 pm
February 8 Ottawa Hills Home 7:30 pm
February 12 Norwalk Away 7:30 pm
February 15 Northwood Away 7:30 pm
February 19 Swanton Away 7:30 pm
February 22 Maumee Valley Home 7:30 pm

Last edited by Smalls; 08-28-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 02:20 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Waite, Bedford, CCHS (thought you played at their place last year?) and Norwalk, nice. Norwalk is a tough environment.

Tell me a little bit about those tournaments?
Old 08-28-18, 03:27 PM
All Region

Don't know much about the Sonic Tournament, but I understand there are some good teams attending with multiple D1 recruits.

Flying to the Hoop has not scheduled the day or opponent. It will be a single game, on one of the days listed vs more than likely a state ranked Ohio team.

The games you mentioned plus the 4 tournament games replace 8 games from last year vs Danbury x2, Gibsonburg x2, Lake, Fostoria, Notre Dame Cathedral Latin and Cornerstone (which was a good game).

So, much needed upgrade to help prepare for the tournament.
Old 08-28-18, 04:37 PM
All World

I like it. Any chance someone can throw together a quick River East holiday tournament?

Cardinal Stritch
Clay
Genoa
Waite
Old 08-28-18, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

That was a tournament I always enjoyed. I forget why it went away. Then someone tells me. Then I forget again. I'm presently in forgotten mode. Waite has a new basketball coach. Former player. I seem to recall he was an assistant a few years ago.

Rossford used to be part of the tournament. It changed from year to year, didn't it? Bate's Libbey should have been part of it. Had more Eastsiders than Waite did, so I'm told.
Old 08-29-18, 08:10 AM
All Region

The last time I remember it being played was about 10-12 years ago at Rossford. Clay and Waite were both in the TCL and played or had the potential to play each other 3 times that year. I assume that is the reason they stopped playing.

It was well attended. I miss the tournament.
Old 08-29-18, 08:13 AM
All Region

Clay Schedule from 2005-2006

Oregon Clay

Fri 02-Dec-05 Away Cardinal Stritch L 57-52

Fri 09-Dec-05 Home * Toledo St. John's L 64-56

Sat 10-Dec-05 Home Perrysburg W 82-68

Fri 16-Dec-05 Home * Toledo Waite L 64-62

Fri 23-Dec-05 Away Sylvania Southview W 49-39

Thur 29-Dec-05 River East
6:00 Toledo Waite W 59-58

Fri 30-Dec-05 River East Rossford W 51-31

Fri 06-Jan-06 Away * Toledo Start L 41-40

Sat 07-Jan-06 Home Anthony Wayne W 59-57

Tue 10-Jan-06 Home * Toledo St. Francis L 82-38

Fri 13-Jan-06 Away * Toledo Rogers L 58-56

Fri 20-Jan-06 Away * Toledo Bowsher L 50-45

Sat 21-Jan-06 Home Sylvania Northview W 63-60

Fri 27-Jan-06 U. T.
6:30 * Toledo Woodward W 62-59

Tue 31-Jan-06 Home * Toledo Whitmer W 74-53

Fri 03-Feb-06 Away * Toledo Scott L 77-41

Fri 10-Feb-06 Home * Toledo Central Catholic L 63-59

Fri 17-Feb-06 U. T.
6:30 * Toledo Libbey L 77-55

Wed 22-Feb-06 Home Toledo Waite W 79-76

Sat 25-Feb-06 Away Toledo Central Catholic L 54-52

Record: 9-11 (2-9)
Old 08-29-18, 08:42 AM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Rossford, Clay, and Strich played a round robin the following season (December '06) but there wasn't a 4th team and no River East tournament.

To answer somebody's question, Stritch played Central last season at Southview. Central should be improved this season with what they have coming back (assuming they're all returning) and the new coach.
Old 08-29-18, 09:43 AM
All World

^ Agree