Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-14-18, 02:07 PM
Junior Varsity

hjohn6331 is on a distinguished road
Jordan

[QUOTE=mailman112;7112492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
If the article from the Urbana paper is correct, he had 28 guys who went on to be NCAA AAs ... and the meter is still running. That's pretty remarkable. Has any other high school coach, regardless of tenure, coached so many eventual AAs? Buxton maybe? Urbas

St. Ed's 35 straight years with an AA
Jordan was something St Eds will never be, classy in victory and classy in defeat. This is about Jordan not your ongoing blabbering about your school.
Old 09-14-18, 02:20 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=hjohn6331;7112512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post

Jordan was something St Eds will never be, classy in victory and classy in defeat. This is about Jordan not your ongoing blabbering about your school.
I answered his question. Relax buddy.
Old 09-14-18, 04:36 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=mailman112;7112520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohn6331 View Post

I answered his question. Relax buddy.
lol, White Castles and Yappi on a Friday and an adult beverage.
Old 09-14-18, 07:59 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
White Castle smoothies later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-18, 09:29 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=mailman112;7112492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
If the article from the Urbana paper is correct, he had 28 guys who went on to be NCAA AAs ... and the meter is still running. That's pretty remarkable. Has any other high school coach, regardless of tenure, coached so many eventual AAs? Buxton maybe? Urbas

St. Ed's 35 straight years with an AA
I wonder if the Graham assistant coach was as important to the program, as St Edward's in all of those AAs.
Old 09-15-18, 07:47 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Not to take anything away from Eds, but 28 straight years are the St. Eds record for D1 AAs. The 35 year record includes D2 AAs. D2 AAs are impressive, and I'm sure many would AA in D1, but most would not reach the podium and many would not even qualify for D1 NCAAs. St Eds alum, Mike Mason (Ashland - Division II) 7th at 177, was one of those who may not have qualified, and if he did he certainly wouldn't have reached the podium. Again, D2 AA is an impressive accomplishment for Mason. And 28 years is very impressive - the best in the nation.

I would like to know how many AAs fell under Ferguson as head coach, Urbas as head coach and Jordan as head coach. Here's my best guess (might be off a little):
Ferguson 18
*Urbas 40
*Jordan 23

With Urbas retiring a few months ago, Ohio has closed the chapter on arguably the two greatest wrestling coaches of all time in Ohio (#1 and #2 in Yappi poll). I pulled the Jordan number of 28 AAs from an article, but I'm not sure how any or if any were while he was assistant coach.

*Urbas and Jordan still have some of their wrestlers competing for AA status.

Last edited by bdhof; 09-15-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-15-18, 09:40 AM
All American

BobPreusse is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bdhof;7114068]With Urbas retiring a few months ago, Ohio has closed the chapter on arguably the two greatest wrestling coaches of all time in Ohio (#1 and #2 in Yappi poll). QUOTE]

u did very nice job with your poll BD but surely u jest my good man. Think Milkovich, the only Ohioan inducted as Distinguished Member in National H of F in Stillwater. In fact Big Mike was the 3rd HS coach ever inducted after Billy Martin and Bob Siddens. Urbas & Jordan have a shot but the bar is very very high, only a few DMs are inducted each year and rarely a HS coach.

i just did an article on the matter in Amateur Wr News July issue, i list 8 HS coaches who have a shot, imo, Jordan and Urbas among the 8. IMO the next to go in will be Russ Cozart of Brandon Florida.

Urbas record is Fab however Jordan has the extras that Committee likes-- ex college AA himself, 4x Ohio state champ himself, PLUS his very great coaching record. Urbas has going for him an extraordinary number of testimonials i gathered on his influence, service, dedication & character. Both have a shot but being from same state perhaps only one gets the nod if any at all.

(any fan wanting a copy of July AWN magazine email me, i'll send pdf to download- for free of course. ohiobobp@aol.com )
Old 09-15-18, 10:30 AM
All World

Coach Jordan Retires

[QUOTE=BobPreusse;7114147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
With Urbas retiring a few months ago, Ohio has closed the chapter on arguably the two greatest wrestling coaches of all time in Ohio (#1 and #2 in Yappi poll). QUOTE]

u did very nice job with your poll BD but surely u jest my good man. Think Milkovich, the only Ohioan inducted as Distinguished Member in National H of F in Stillwater. In fact Big Mike was the 3rd HS coach ever inducted after Billy Martin and Bob Siddens. Urbas & Jordan have a shot but the bar is very very high, only a few DMs are inducted each year and rarely a HS coach.

i just did an article on the matter in Amateur Wr News July issue, i list 8 HS coaches who have a shot, imo, Jordan and Urbas among the 8. IMO the next to go in will be Russ Cozart of Brandon Florida.

Urbas record is Fab however Jordan has the extras that Committee likes-- ex college AA himself, 4x Ohio state champ himself, PLUS his very great coaching record. Urbas has going for him an extraordinary number of testimonials i gathered on his influence, service, dedication & character. Both have a shot but being from same state perhaps only one gets the nod if any at all.

(any fan wanting a copy of July AWN magazine email me, i'll send pdf to download- for free of course. ohiobobp@aol.com )
I would love to have the pdf and will email you. Thanks. And I did qualify my statement with "arguably." The poll did have some problems. "Recency bias" kicks in for all those too young to remember Mike Milkovich. Then I think there's a lot of St Eds and SPG bias. St Eds fans, many of whom are on on this site, probably tended to vote primarily for Ferguson or Urbas. This probably benefited Jordan bc they split their St Eds vote among two great coaches. Jordan also benefited from a strong SPG Yappi following, but not to the extent of St Eds. And Ferguson, Urbas and Jordan all benefited from coaching in the era of fluidity, with kids moving from one school to another. Eds didn't get transfers, but Eds is a private school and early in Ferguson's tenure his program attracted much of the top talent in NE OH, the hotbed of wrestling in Ohio, if not the US. That didn't change under Urbas. Jordan's program likewise attracted talent, some being transfers. Milkovich did it with his kids, which was the norm back in those days. I don't think anyone can argue that Milkovich, Ferguson, Urbas and Jordan are the cream of the crop of OH HS wrestling coaches. Many, however, will argue which of those legends is the GOAT.

Last edited by bdhof; 09-15-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 09:49 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
I would love to have the pdf and will email you. Thanks. And I did qualify my statement with "arguably." The poll did have some problems. "Recency bias" kicks in for all those too young to remember Mike Milkovich.

yes "recency bias" shortchanged Milkovich though Jordan & Urbas deserve all accolades they have received, a rare pair. ...did u enjoy the pdf article?
Old 09-16-18, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
It's hard to differentiate from any of those four as far as being the greatest coach, just like trying to determine who is the greatest in any sport. Hodge...or Gable... or Sanderson, who is greatest wrestler of all time??

We should just be thankful we can have this debate in wrestling rich Ohio. I think all four are great and have contributed tremendously to wrestling in Ohio.

From a die hard Eagle fan, congratulations coach Jordan, I've watched you from competing in high school through your retirement. You have contributed greatly to Ohio wrestling and for that I am a thankful wrestling fan. I hope you enjoy your retirement from Graham, I know you will never retire from wrestling. Best of luck in future endeavors !!
Old 09-16-18, 11:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPreusse View Post
yes "recency bias" shortchanged Milkovich though Jordan & Urbas deserve all accolades they have received, a rare pair. ...did u enjoy the pdf article?
The PDF was great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-18, 08:28 PM
All American

Advisory: its a rare moment when 2 coaches of this stature retire same time-- in July AmWrNews i the made case, in great detail, for 7 current high school coaches to be considered for the National H of F highest distinction, Distinguished Member. Two were Urbas & Jordan.

NOW is the time for boosters at SPG & St Eds to form a very small cadre of "businessman-type" individuals to go thru the process to submit your man for induction as a DM. Dont wait, Only EIGHT hs coaches have ever been inducted as Distinguished Members. Its a PROCESS. Maybe u Fail, Fail, then maybe one year it gets approved-- maybe.

i understand the process, it pitfalls & politics and how to do it. I went thru it for the legendary Kent St coach Joe Begala, for 5 years he was submitted, but he was long since deceased so he never made it. Do it for your coach now when time is ripe. Next induction in Stillwater is June 2019. Forms are on Ntl H of F website.

i am available to offer suggestions if u wish, from my own experience and what i know of how it works, what the politics are, who the players are. ohiobobp@aol.com
Old 09-20-18, 06:18 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Not in the wrestling loop and just saw this. Wow. Congrats and happy retirement to him. One of the best, to be sure.
Old 09-20-18, 06:24 PM
All District

TimMast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not in the wrestling loop and just saw this. Wow. Congrats and happy retirement to him. One of the best, to be sure.
This^
Old 09-20-18, 07:12 PM
All World

Gulliotine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'll be impressed when I see a photo of Jeff wearing anything that says "Graham." You'd think he would at least give some credit to his employer.