Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-02-18, 11:58 PM
Junior Varsity

hjohn6331 is on a distinguished road
Save Lake Catholic

We had our smallest, ever, incoming freshman class this year (39 boys/ 49 girls), we don't want to end up like Chanel and close. Alumnus and friends who want to help our effort please contact Greben, Charles Advancement Office cgrebenc@lakecatholic.org (440) 578-1020 Ext 233
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-18, 10:51 AM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity, what are the causes of the small enrollment?
Old 09-03-18, 05:39 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I would say the

non-stop raising of tuition every year parents are not agreeing with paying that much when they are also paying for city taxes. A lot of these schools are more expensive then a state school.
Old 09-04-18, 04:47 AM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohn6331 View Post
We had our smallest, ever, incoming freshman class this year (39 boys/ 49 girls), we don't want to end up like Chanel and close. Alumnus and friends who want to help our effort please contact Greben, Charles Advancement Office cgrebenc@lakecatholic.org (440) 578-1020 Ext 233
Thereís 135 kids in the 9th grade class, not 88.
Old 09-04-18, 05:50 AM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
What is the normal enrollment numbers?
Old 09-04-18, 09:55 AM
All Region

eucwrestler is on a distinguished road
I've heard friends complain about the tuition price. That is why public schools typically have huge enrollments.
Old 09-04-18, 11:42 AM
Junior Varsity

#s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
Thereís 135 kids in the 9th grade class, not 88.
A group of us were told by an administrator that the number was the lowest ever, we want to ensure the school doesnít close. I realize the days of 200 plus may not be realistic but letís not deny the problem and get active. Our once strong hockey program had to recruit kids out of the hallway and our freshman football team started with 14 kids this year, by far lowest ever. Iíve donated heavily in the past and will hope to do so going forward.
Old 09-04-18, 01:04 PM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
You guys have Hockey? Wow!!!
Old 09-04-18, 01:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by craceman View Post
You guys have Hockey? Wow!!!
We had three levels and the first being one of the top in state, right there with US and Gilmore. Now we are scrambling for one level, this happened within the last 4 or so years. The biggest thing that stands out is our CYO sized freshman football team. NDCL has over twice the numbers for freshman football, thatís never happened before.
Old 09-04-18, 05:08 PM
Freshman

Dar_of_Emur is on a distinguished road
My class (89) had around 350 total kids. Lake was very selective back then, and I had a lot of friends get turned down for admission as freshman (but later got in as sophomore transfers once some freshman attrition.)
NDCL didnt exist back then.. probably plays a role in the lower numbers now.
Old 09-04-18, 08:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
My class (89) had around 350 total kids. Lake was very selective back then, and I had a lot of friends get turned down for admission as freshman (but later got in as sophomore transfers once some freshman attrition.)
That is notable, I did not know we had class sizes over 300. We were D1 in the early 80's and maybe through your year with total enrollment well over 1,000. An administrator told us our incoming class this year is below 100. Word is Chuck Grebenc is going to lead a charge to save the school, all help is welcome.
Old 09-05-18, 12:11 AM
All World

Quote:
A group of us were told by an administrator that the number was the lowest ever, we want to ensure the school doesnít close. I realize the days of 200 plus may not be realistic but letís not deny the problem and get active. Our once strong hockey program had to recruit kids out of the hallway and our freshman football team started with 14 kids this year, by far lowest ever. Iíve donated heavily in the past and will hope to do so going forward.
Congratulations on donating heavily in the past. I havenít denied anything. And Iím active plenty. You need to get your facts straight.
Old 09-05-18, 12:13 AM
All World

Quote:
We had three levels and the first being one of the top in state, right there with US and Gilmore. Now we are scrambling for one level, this happened within the last 4 or so years. The biggest thing that stands out is our CYO sized freshman football team. NDCL has over twice the numbers for freshman football, thatís never happened before.
Lake Catholic has 17 freshman football players this year. NDCL has 25.

Keep chirping
Old 09-05-18, 08:49 AM
Freshman

CougarGrapple is on a distinguished road
While your intentions may be good, the initiation of this thread is counterproductive.

Bold face titles of ďSave Lake CatholicĒ give a negative impression to parents and students alike. They ALL read these forums and negativity will yield more negative effects.

I am a parent and coach. The principal and the president of the school announced numbers totaling about 145 for our freshman class this year. It was a little late blooming and slow to grow, but regardless we got there. NDCL is at 190, but so what. There was a time when their numbers were less and they obviously didnít panic. Why compare the two?

Parochial schools suffer intermittently and everything is cyclical. There is more to building, rebuilding, or sustaining a school than money and donations. It is passion, time, and heartfelt effort into the students, the athletes, and supporting the people that make a place tick that keeps a heart beating.

I went to my 4th beginning of the year ďmeet the teachersĒ night. I can tell you without a doubt that I feel the best about Lake Catholic this year than I have ever felt. The leadership in President Mark Crowley and Principal Rick Koenig is going to net exponential changes in LCHS. The culture and enthusiasm of the students and staff is noticeable already.

The bottom line for anyone who wants to preserve Lake Catholic is that yes, every school needs money. But donations wonít get the job done. Promote the school, send your kids there, get involved, make a difference.

I didnít go to Lake. But my kids do and I have been around it and a part of it for a number of years now. I assure you Lake is back on the uprise, if not in quantity right away....quality. The numbers will come.

Lake Catholic isnít going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-18, 06:09 PM
Freshman

Quote:
That is notable, I did not know we had class sizes over 300. We were D1 in the early 80's and maybe through your year with total enrollment well over 1,000. An administrator told us our incoming class this year is below 100. Word is Chuck Grebenc is going to lead a charge to save the school, all help is welcome.
Just checked, we graduated 312 students in 1989.
IIRC, all the classes after us fell off in numbers. Because of this, we fell to D2 for the 88-89 school year. The top end guys on the wrestling team were pissed, not being able to compete in D1.
We ended up winning the team title in D2 that year, with two individual state champs (Vic Voinovich and Dale Kaprosy) and a state runner up (John Volpe, who lost on criteria).
Old 09-09-18, 04:37 AM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
I thought 89 was the first year NDCL was Co-Ed?
Old 09-09-18, 05:30 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
I thought 89 was the first year NDCL was Co-Ed?

I think you are correct. My cousin was in their (NDCL) first male class, and I think he was a 93 grad. Thus he would have been a freshman in 89/90 year.

Old 09-11-18, 12:32 AM
Junior Varsity

NOt chirping

Quote:
Lake Catholic has 17 freshman football players this year. NDCL has 25.

Keep chirping

Not chirping, just sick of the trend and numbers steadily going down and hoping/trying to help. I don't have the answers Grebenc is looking for maybe you do. Maybe we put stands at our home field and save the rent we pay Mentor to play at Mentor. I realize money is not the lone answer but it is very problematic, we had to lay off a disturbing number of people and hired just a few part timers to replace them the last two years. Grebenc has had several recent contacts that were willing to help the immediate issues we face. I had several PMs that I referred directly to Grebenc. Bottom line is we don't have the funding with the current overhead with the declining numbers. The number of us donating was small to start with and we have been falling off also.
Old 09-11-18, 10:05 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
The once popular choice of sending your children to catholic schools is on a major downward trend. The parishes, parish schools, and catholic high schools that once flourished post WWII, are scrambling to find/keep families and children every year. As the core of catholic supporters dwindles, you will find more and more closings and/or mergers. Catholic high schools will close, this is inevitable.
As in nature, sometimes the weak of the heard needs to be thinned for the health of the rest.
AND NO, I'm not calling L.C. the weak of the heard.
Old 09-11-18, 11:16 AM
All District

standup is on a distinguished road
Lifelong Catholic here...and
Tired of molestation scandals,
Horrible homilies, and Private school tuitions above $10k.
Oops .....just went political.
Letís get back to wrestling
Old 09-12-18, 05:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Not chirping, just sick of the trend and numbers steadily going down and hoping/trying to help. I don't have the answers Grebenc is looking for maybe you do. Maybe we put stands at our home field and save the rent we pay Mentor to play at Mentor. I realize money is not the lone answer but it is very problematic, we had to lay off a disturbing number of people and hired just a few part timers to replace them the last two years. Grebenc has had several recent contacts that were willing to help the immediate issues we face. I had several PMs that I referred directly to Grebenc. Bottom line is we don't have the funding with the current overhead with the declining numbers. The number of us donating was small to start with and we have been falling off also.
You really have no clue what you’re talking about. You come on this forum acting like you have knowledge of what’s going on at Lake and you have 0 clue.

“Maybe we put stands at our home field and quit paying rent to Mentor?” Lake Catholic pays no rent to Mentor. Why do you think the stadium is called Jerome T. Osborne Stadium and not Mentor Stadium? You say you’ve been around forever, know everyone and everything going on, and you’re a big donor. Well, don’t you remember when Lake quit playing their home games at Memorial in 2004 and went to the JTO in 2005? It was a because of a very generous family that have ties to Lake.

Then you say, “we had to lay off a disturbing amount of people and hired just a few part timers.” Go ahead and enlighten me on who was laid off, what positions they had, and the part timers that were hired to replace them.

I will be up at Lake today and I will ask Carlos about you and see if he wanted a thread posted on a public high school sports web site with the title of save Lake Catholic. Lol give me a break.

Go away John
Old 09-12-18, 07:02 AM
Freshman

LHSMAN and myself are obviously on the same page. Non-delusional, involved, informed, and yes I donate plenty too.

Most of the information that was provided is wrong or misconstrued, hence my grandstand last week.

Regardless of the genuineness of the concern, NONE should be on a high school athletic forum where parents, athletes, coaches and administration all over alike jockey for the opportunity to ďbragĒ about positives and showcase the things people want to read.

Is there negativity, issues, and drama presented on these forums sure. Is the forum exempt from having negative press? No. But letís not create it for ourselves! That is counterproductive.

The headline was bad from the get-go and the information that followed it up was incorrect or irrelevant with respect to that headline.

Lake is just fine. The leadership is revitalized and the enthusiasm is high. This can be witnessed in the kids themselves. Everything starts with culture. The culture has improved exponentially at Lake Catholic and again, Lake isnít going anywhere.

Old 09-12-18, 11:34 AM
Junior Varsity

I can't fight the whole battle to help LC

Quote:
You really have no clue what youíre talking about. You come on this forum acting like you have knowledge of whatís going on at Lake and you have 0 clue.

ďMaybe we put stands at our home field and quit paying rent to Mentor?Ē Lake Catholic pays no rent to Mentor. Why do you think the stadium is called Jerome T. Osborne Stadium and not Mentor Stadium? You say youíve been around forever, know everyone and everything going on, and youíre a big donor. Well, donít you remember when Lake quit playing their home games at Memorial in 2004 and went to the JTO in 2005? It was a because of a very generous family that have ties to Lake.

Then you say, ďwe had to lay off a disturbing amount of people and hired just a few part timers.Ē Go ahead and enlighten me on who was laid off, what positions they had, and the part timers that were hired to replace them.

I will be up at Lake today and I will ask Carlos about you and see if he wanted a thread posted on a public high school sports web site with the title of save Lake Catholic. Lol give me a break.

Go away John

Just an FYI the Osbornes paid for most of the wrestling room build, the block work, roof decking, cement floor and some other stuff. Osbornes offered to build a full sized stadium on our site but sister Anne said no. I did not realize we didn't pay rent at Mentor High's stadium but we would have had big payday on concesions and other stuff, rent is only part of the expense. I don't have all the names laid off just a couple of them, I'm not going to blast them on here. And ask "Carlos/ Chuck " about the recent calls generated by concerned Older Cougars.
Old 09-14-18, 01:00 PM
Freshman

Downtime is on a distinguished road
Problems

How about getting rid of the drug problem going on in that school.
Old 09-16-18, 02:00 PM
Freshman

Save Lake Catholic

What drug problem?
Old 09-16-18, 09:22 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
First post winner. +1
Old 09-18-18, 08:42 PM
Junior Varsity

no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
no, none that I ever heard of
Old 09-20-18, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
this is one

of the most irresponsible posts i have seen in a long time. Most of the stuff posted on here isn't true.