Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-18, 12:44 PM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
Every kid has things they need to work on when going to college, his situation is not unique. If the stories regarding his poor academics are true, he didn't help himself there either.

The body of work is the kid transferred in high school and played on at least 4 different AAU teams (all the major shoe teams in Ohio except for, I think, All-Ohio). Strikes me as unaccountable-always seems to be chasing the next thing or the 'easier' path. Time will tell if he will truly put in the work to prepare himself for success.

Contrast with Pete Nance or Jerome Hunter and you see what could happen if kids objectively assess their weaknesses and execute a plan to improve. Pete particularly worked on his physicality (which is still a work in progress) and going to Northwestern, obviously shows he took care of business in the classroom. Jerome, if he continues to improve his ball handling and outside shot, could be something really special. Both seemed to have been brutally honest with themselves and addressed their weaknesses. That skill will help them to continue to improve in many different aspects of their lives (athletics, academics, work, relationships, etc.) if they continue to use it.

Athletics provides great life lessons, often within the span of a couple of games. Bazley may still eventually make a living playing basketball, but he'll have to learn to overcome adversity (although some of his is self inflicted) and hold himself accountable. If he does, he has the potential to be very good.
Old 09-13-18, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
4. What college player doesn't need to put on weight before entering the league? That's such a terrible excuse for skipping college. At Syracuse, he can have as much as he wants to eat and lock himself in the gym and the weight room. Do you really think he's going to care about academics? I'm sure Syracuse has plenty of people who will take care of that for him.
Depends on the situation, I would think.

Imagine for example a one-and-done recruit who can't qualify academically. Would it make sense to go to college just to sit out the only year you're likely to be at the school? Would it make sense for the college to "take care of the academics" for the player, in that scenario?

I don't know if that was Bazley's situation. There's no way we would know if it was; the only people who could legally tell us would have no reason to. I do know I didn't even raise an eyebrow at the decision to play G-league instead of college. College isn't for everyone--that part of v_o_r's post is not in doubt.

But to not play at all? That's a head scratcher.

I haven't seen him play many games since he left Finneytown, but my strong impression has been that he badly needs to play competitive basketball...where by "competitive" I mean games where winning and losing matters more than showcasing one's individual skills. We never had anyone with anywhere near his level of talent, but we've a lot of players have better high school careers because they had learned how, and were willing, to do what was necessary to win a game. Bradley Nelms comes to mind as a recent example. Or maybe a better one, because it's a similar level of athletic talent, was Benintendi at Madeira. It wasn't even his sport, but the contrast between Andrew Benintendi and Darius Bazley as high school basketball players was stark. Benintendi hated losing, he'd bust his gut to make sure it didn't happen, and that one attribute outweighed the countless physical advantages on the other side of the ledger.

Bazley has to learn that somehow, if he wants to have a basketball career. I'm not sure he was going to get what he needs in the G-league--like AAU it's to full of guys trying to showcase their own stuff. But he's sure as hell not going to find what he needs hanging out at home and working out in a local gym.
Old 09-13-18, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satriani View Post
The body of work is the kid transferred in high school and played on at least 4 different AAU teams (all the major shoe teams in Ohio except for, I think, All-Ohio). Strikes me as unaccountable-always seems to be chasing the next thing or the 'easier' path. Time will tell if he will truly put in the work to prepare himself for success.
As a fan and alum of the school he left, I have to say that I don't think that's a fair comment as respects the transfer. (The frequent changing of AAU teams is a different matter.) Finneytown basketball from 2015-2017 was a uniquely bad situation. If you didn't see it first-hand, whatever you're imagining probably doesn't come close.

If Griggs had been able to stay, I think Bazley could have gotten a lot out of the experience. But calling a promising player who left what came next "unaccountable" is like telling a young genius whose school won't even offer AP coursework that he should just suck it up and ignore the offers from CCD or St. X.
Old 09-14-18, 07:46 AM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
As a fan and alum of the school he left, I have to say that I don't think that's a fair comment as respects the transfer. (The frequent changing of AAU teams is a different matter.) Finneytown basketball from 2015-2017 was a uniquely bad situation. If you didn't see it first-hand, whatever you're imagining probably doesn't come close.

If Griggs had been able to stay, I think Bazley could have gotten a lot out of the experience. But calling a promising player who left what came next "unaccountable" is like telling a young genius whose school won't even offer AP coursework that he should just suck it up and ignore the offers from CCD or St. X.
Fair enough, I do not know the situation at Finneytown. I'll stand corrected there. However, I'll stand by my other comments. He's made some interesting decisions that raise red flags and hurt his chances to play at the highest level. Some may be due to bad advice but some may also be self inflicted. The fact that he's bypassing college altogether significantly raises the downside risk. He's all in on getting paid to play basketball. What's the plan B?