Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #61  
Old 12-27-18, 12:19 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 3,135
Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Again, not everyone could play at IU when Knight was there. I'll always say he did a heck of alot more good there than bad. Not even close.
Better question is why anyone wanted to? If you could play for Knight or Dean Smith, itís not a hard choice.
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old 12-27-18, 01:40 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Kids are too soft today, but that had nothing to do with choking a player.
There is no doubt that as Knight got older and set in his ways, he took liberty on his power at IU. He was untouchable and was allowed to do alot more than the average coach. Do I feel he always had the kids best interest in mind? Absolutely. He was brought up in a military environment, it worked for him.
Like alot of things you need people around you that will hold you accountable. Knight had alot of yes men around him, and it ultimately led to his demise.
  #63  
Old 12-27-18, 01:51 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Knight couldn't possibly be held accountable for his actions

It was the shot clock, 3 point line, yes men etc that caused his downfall.

Always some one else's fault in your eyes
  #64  
Old 12-27-18, 03:11 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Knight couldn't possibly be held accountable for his actions

It was the shot clock, 3 point line, yes men etc that caused his downfall.

Always some one else's fault in your eyes
In his position at a basketball crazy school, probably not. Heck most of us can't name college presidents. They move every 4-5 years and stay pretty incognito otherwise.
I think you are mistaken in my opinion, again. All I said was that adding the 3 point line and shot clock, takes SOME of the control away from the coaches, not just Knight. Without the shot clock and 3 point line, you can compete with better talent by controlling the tempo, defending and playing defense. By adding those things to the game, it favors the more athletic teams and players. It's really not a hard concept. Judging by the numbers of successful teams IU had, you't think they'd had more long term NBA players, and they didn't. Kent Benson, Scott May, Quin Bucker, Isaiah Thomas, Randy Whitman, Calbert Cheney are really about the only Knight players who had sizable NBA careers. It's because they played a team concept that worked so well in that era. The '87 championship game was probably the best example. Syracuse had Derek Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Rony Seikely, IU had no one that had any kind of an NBA career. Steve Alford was their best player, Keith Smart hit the big shot, Daryl Thomas, Dean Garrett, Joe Hillman...just a bunch of guys who played really well together.

Now, with Knight struggling to get "his" kinds of players and having less control of the game that he was so good at coaching, his temperament took over and he became too much for this era of player.

Not really much different that the situation at Penn State with Paterno. He had no one who kept him accountable. Woody Hayes had to slug a player in public during a game to get the ax. Still alot of people in this state who love Woody Hayes.
  #65  
Old 12-27-18, 04:00 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
No you also said players had more control of their future as if that would defend players speaking out and not playing for knight. You made a dumb point but keep trying to change your argument.

Funny how great lengths you will go to defend an abusive person. You hate LeBron for his ego yet Bobby gets a pass.
  #66  
Old 12-27-18, 10:02 PM
St.X fan2 St.X fan2 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-09-01
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,712
St.X fan2
I missed the first thirty minutes of the program but saw the rest of it. I never liked Knight and I always thought he was a jerk. I rooted against IU when he was the coach because of his abusive behavior. I remember when Knight intentionally head butted one of his players and they showed that in the ESPN program. I believe that Knight kicked his son Patrick when he played there. Knight was a bully and I was sad to see in the program that Reid died at a young age leaving behind a wife and kids. That was pretty bad at the end when Knight wished that the whole IU administration was dead (talk about holding a grudge).
  #67  
Old 12-27-18, 11:08 PM
jtk jtk is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Location: BC>NVA>SLIDE
Posts: 6,710
jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
1993 — Is suspended for one game after a sideline tirade in a 101-82 victory over Notre Dame in which he screams at his player son, Pat, and kicks at him. When fans behind the Indiana bench boo, Knight turns and responds with an obscenity.

lol his own son. lol

jtk
()
  #68  
Old 12-28-18, 11:44 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Better question is why anyone wanted to? If you could play for Knight or Dean Smith, itís not a hard choice.
Once Knight got rolling at IU in the mid 70's, recruiting was pretty easy. Kids recruited themselves to Bloomington. It was kind of reverse as of today as you were honored if Knight was interested in you coming to Bloomington. There was such prestige being an IU basketball player. It's really not unlike what happens here in Ohio with Ohio State. Some kids will walk on at Ohio State rather than accept a scholarship and more playing time elsewhere.

College recruiting was much more regional back then. You didn't have alot of kids go out of state to school, or at least not several states away. Now you have kids who go cross country for college.
  #69  
Old 12-28-18, 11:48 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
No you also said players had more control of their future as if that would defend players speaking out and not playing for knight. You made a dumb point but keep trying to change your argument.

Funny how great lengths you will go to defend an abusive person. You hate LeBron for his ego yet Bobby gets a pass.
And you take a snippet of an opinon and run it across every post anyone has ever done. Man it takes alot of time and energy to do that. Don't you have anything better to do? This is a tread on one of the most controversial figures in college basketball history. And you want to make it all or nothing?
  #70  
Old 12-28-18, 11:52 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
1993 ó Is suspended for one game after a sideline tirade in a 101-82 victory over Notre Dame in which he screams at his player son, Pat, and kicks at him. When fans behind the Indiana bench boo, Knight turns and responds with an obscenity.

lol his own son. lol

jtk
()
I'd say that's about the time things really started going off the rails for Bobby at IU.
In 1959, Woody Hayes threw a punch at a sportswriter following a loss to USC. In 1965, Hayes nearly started a fight with Iowa's AD, in 1973, Hayes shoved a camera in the face of photographer...after all this, he wasn't let go until he punched the Clemson player on national TV.
  #71  
Old 12-28-18, 12:21 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And you take a snippet of an opinon and run it across every post anyone has ever done. Man it takes alot of time and energy to do that. Don't you have anything better to do? This is a tread on one of the most controversial figures in college basketball history. And you want to make it all or nothing?
When you continually say stupid sh1t I don't see how this could go any other way. I realize you are trolling but dear God.
  #72  
Old 12-29-18, 11:59 AM
Omar Omar is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 3,135
Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
1993 ó Is suspended for one game after a sideline tirade in a 101-82 victory over Notre Dame in which he screams at his player son, Pat, and kicks at him. When fans behind the Indiana bench boo, Knight turns and responds with an obscenity.

lol his own son. lol

jtk
()
At least he didnít show favoritism. Anyone remember the ESPN made for TV movie on him? I think it came out in Ď01/Ď02. It wasnít a good movie in terms of quality, but it really made him look like an even bigger azz hole than he already was. There was a player on that team from Cincinnati, Rick Calloway, who ended up transferring out bc of Knight.
  #73  
Old 12-29-18, 06:57 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,667
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Given Duncan's mild-mannered personality, I doubt he would have lasted one month under Knight.
Popovich is no walk in the park either
  #74  
Old 12-30-18, 06:27 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 3,135
Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Popovich is no walk in the park either
He is compared to Knight. Duncan was pretty much a Pro the day he step foot in the NBA, he didn’t need to be coached up.
  #75  
Old 01-03-19, 09:56 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
At least he didnít show favoritism. Anyone remember the ESPN made for TV movie on him? I think it came out in Ď01/Ď02. It wasnít a good movie in terms of quality, but it really made him look like an even bigger azz hole than he already was. There was a player on that team from Cincinnati, Rick Calloway, who ended up transferring out bc of Knight.
Calloway wasn't a fit at IU. As I've said here a bunch of times already, not everyone could play for Knight.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suge Knight Gets 28 Years in Prison in Hit-and-Run Plea Deal Yappi General Board 10 09-28-18 10:34 AM
Bobby Knight pinned by Olympic Gold Medalist Pope Francis 1 Wrestling 3 07-08-18 05:41 PM
6 more days ddaugherty Wrestling 0 07-03-18 10:24 AM
Perry Uses Five Camp Days This Week BIG ED Football 11 07-01-18 09:59 PM
What pitch limits are you using? thavoice Baseball 1 06-18-18 12:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.