Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-18, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post
That's the issue with that type of thinking. We are quick to judge families that to elsewhere for HS thinking that it was a given. Those days have been gone for a while not just recently.
Exactly. I heard at least one of those three mentioned had received far more financial aid to other GCL schools than to Elder. Elder just assumed they had him in the bag no matter what.
Old 02-13-18, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
My opinion, which is usually right.
Umm, you just posted that one of the kids' dad is an Elder coach?

You have no idea as is usually the case.
Old 02-13-18, 02:12 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think that way comparing Elder and Taylor. Taylor is nothing special, never will be.
Taylor offers many things Elder can't.

Not better, not worse...different.
Old 02-13-18, 02:13 PM
All Ohio

Patchwork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think that way comparing Elder and Taylor. Taylor is nothing special, never will be.
If you had to pick between Taylor and OH it might be. Elder and Taylor are at opposite ends of the spectrum and I have to believe any family who is making a decision like this has weighted the options and it starts with what will make their sons happy, affordability and education. Maybe not in this order!
Old 02-13-18, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Taylor offers many things Elder can't.

Not better, not worse...different.
Elder's academics and athletics are far better.
Old 02-13-18, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You continue to fail to see the big picture because of your immaturity. You see all of this through the lens of some 28 year old fan. You still think every westside kid has a birthright to attend Elder, as apparently, so do most of the admin. Parents don't think like this anymore, not when school is this expensive.

Most people see it through the lens of a parent deciding the best high school choice for their kid. Period. They are perfectly in their right to look at other options, and frankly, it takes some courage to pull the trigger. I, too, wish those families well.

So once again, pboy, for the past two years, GET USED TO IT!!
You're such a huge whiny vag. For years it's been "the legacy Visi kids gets the special treatment, nobody else gets a shot." Now, those kids might not be going to Elder and you're still complaining.
Old 02-13-18, 02:18 PM
All American

And Taylor is free, is brand new, has less competition, could be closer to home, is smaller, would provide more playing time, and can still prepare you for college.

Oh yeah, it's free.
Old 02-13-18, 02:19 PM
All American

I'm not complaining about anything...never have. That's your agenda you think I have. You'd be wise to take the advice of your fellow posters. It's obvious the people on this board who have a clue vs. those that don't. This has been, and continues to be, a systematic issue with not being willing to change and adapt, in many, many different areas of how the school operates. That's it.

I want Elder to do well, but I completely understand why these things are happening. I'm not surprised at all.

Just laying out the truth for two years that you continue to ignore....and by the way, keeps coming true.

Like I said, alot more people need to start LISTENING instead of reacting.
Old 02-13-18, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm not complaining about anything...never have. That's your agenda you think I have. You'd be wise to take the advice of your fellow posters. It's obvious the people on this board who have a clue vs. those that don't. This has been, and continues to be, a systematic issue with not being willing to change and adapt, in many, many different areas of how the school operates. That's it.

I want Elder to do well, but I completely understand why these things are happening. I'm not surprised at all.

Just laying out the truth for two years that you continue to ignore....and by the way, keeps coming true.

Like I said, alot more people need to start LISTENING instead of reacting.
You're not complaining, my azz. Elder's f***ing up left and right, but it doesn't change that you're a huge whiny b1tch.
Old 02-13-18, 02:41 PM
All American

Let me re-phrase and clarify...I am complaining about how things are operating, because it's screwing up their sports programs (and hindering enrollment).

I'm not complaining because my little Johnny got cut, which you think is my agenda for my complaining.

We all want them to do well, but they're ignoring some of the reasons these things have become reality. And for some reason, they won't accept them. They are learning the hard way.
Old 02-13-18, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Let me re-phrase and clarify...I am complaining about how things are operating, because it's screwing up their sports programs (and somewhat hindering enrollment).

I'm not complaining because my little Johnny got cut, which you think is my agenda.
That is your agenda, bc that's what happened. But IDGAF about you or your kid. Elder needs to stop f***ing up at EVERYTHING they do. It's pathetic.
Old 02-13-18, 02:51 PM
All American

They don't screw up everything, but they're ignoring some REALLY important things that they think aren't really important.
Old 02-13-18, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They don't screw up everything, but they're ignoring some REALLY important things that they think aren't really important.
No, they're f***ing up a lot lately, to the detriment of the school. If it's really a financial issue, maybe Elder would get more $ if they weren't so woefully mediocre at the sports that matter.

Last edited by Descartes; 02-13-18 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 04:06 PM
Varsity

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And Taylor is free, is brand new, has less competition, could be closer to home, is smaller, would provide more playing time, and can still prepare you for college.

Oh yeah, it's free.
Maybe Elder should pilot their new marketing with you. It sounds like you are not convinced a difference exists except Taylor's advantages.

My three kids with 8 college degrees between them would argue all day about their first hand experience with the preparedness of Catholic High school graduates versus the majority of public high grads. Again, exceptions exist, but this is the norm they experienced.
Old 02-13-18, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKS View Post
Maybe Elder should pilot their new marketing with you. It sounds like you are not convinced a difference exists except Taylor's advantages.

My three kids with 8 college degrees between them would argue all day about their first hand experience with the preparedness of Catholic High school graduates versus the majority of public high grads. Again, exceptions exist, but this is the norm they experienced.
Can you people get through your narrow minds that not everyone thinks this way? This is exactly part of the problem...everyone thinks that every westside family has to grow up with these strict Catholic morals and upbringing that destines them for Elder. I hope your kids had a fantastic experience, but what's for you isn't for everyone.

It's called generational shifts. Parents in this generation are not as glued to the Catholic Church.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THINKING ELDER ISN'T GOOD!!! I think Elder is a very good school, as do all of the families not picking Elder, but times have changed.

You have to now sell and market to these families, where in the past, you didn't have to. Add in a $12,000 price tag, and any normal thinking person would open up their options.

I'm slowly losing faith in the "inclusion" mentality that Elder has to embrace to get past this. I've run into too many people that simply can't get passed the notion that kids and families with first and second generation Elder are opening up their options. They crucify families for even considering the idea. It's like no one has the ability to think outside of their westside bubble. WAKE UP!!!!

Last edited by trey2k; 02-13-18 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

They can salvage this debacle by getting the one kid that's still on the fence.
Old 02-13-18, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

Patchwork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can you people get through your narrow minds that not everyone thinks this way? This is exactly part of the problem...everyone thinks that every westside family has to grow up with these strict Catholic morals and upbringing that destines them for Elder. I hope your kids had a fantastic experience, but what's for you isn't for everyone.

It's called generational shifts. Parents in this generation are not as glued to the Catholic Church.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THINKING ELDER ISN'T GOOD!!! I think Elder is a very good school, as do all of the families not picking Elder, but times have changed.

You have to now sell and market to these families, where in the past, you didn't have to. Add in a $12,000 price tag, and any normal thinking person would open up their options.

I'm slowly losing faith in the "inclusion" mentality that Elder has to embrace to get past this. I've run into too many people that simply can't get passed the notion that kids and families with first and second generation Elder are opening up their options. WAKE UP!!!!
this inst just an Elder problem. I know two families that are in deep conversation regarding on weather to send their daughters to Seton or not. They both had older kids who got better financial packages than their current 8th graders. One of which is self employed and works odd jobs over the summer to make up for the tuition costs.
Old 02-13-18, 04:32 PM
Varsity

Quote:

I'm slowly losing faith in the "inclusion" mentality that Elder has to embrace to get past this. I've run into too many people that simply can't get passed the notion that kids and families with first and second generation Elder are opening up their options. WAKE UP!!!!
Take a breath and read what I said slowly....I responded to the direct comment from you. I totally agree with you on marketing. I stated a reason that may exist to justify the extra cost for Elder versus Taylor. I did not say you had to go to Elder to get that value (other options may be better than Taylor also). I did not say you had to be Catholic to get that value. I personally believe Elder has many more reasons to make it worthwhile than just athletics. We need to market the "entirety" of Elder. I think some that turn away may do so just because the athletic teams are not as successful as in the past. They may not appreciate the other value received from an Elder education. If they did, maybe they may even think it's worth the cost of tuition....
Old 02-13-18, 04:35 PM
All American

Elder has many, many, many great things to offer.

But free can offer you many, many, many great things as well.

Alot of people have asked over the last few years, when does the price get so high people start to question sending their kids there...well, we're here.

I'm not bashing Elder, just giving you the current reality of decision making.
Old 02-13-18, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Alot of people have asked over the last few years, when does the price get so high people start to question sending their kids there...well, we're here.

Your view is very one sided. And if price is an issue, Elder's the cheapest of the 3 GCL schools.
Old 02-13-18, 04:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Your view is very one sided. And if price is an issue, Elder's the cheapest of the 3 GCL schools.
LOL...ok.
Old 02-13-18, 04:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:

I agree with every increase in cost, more will say "we're here".

You may not wish to comment, but from your constant back and forth with pboy, I get the impression you may have a son currently at Elder. If so, why did you choose the expensive option, and why don't (or didn't) you transfer him sometime during the 4 years to the lesser cost option? Did a recent cost increase become the straw the broke the camel's back? Is there any value remaining to justify the current cost?
Old 02-13-18, 04:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKS View Post
I agree with every increase in cost, more will say "we're here".

You may not wish to comment, but from your constant back and forth with pboy, I get the impression you may have a son currently at Elder. If so, why did you choose the expensive option, and why don't (or didn't) you transfer him sometime during the 4 years to the lesser cost option? Did a recent cost increase become the straw the broke the camel's back? Is there any value remaining to justify the current cost?
Who cares about him or his kid? Elder just needs to focus on landing the one kid in the trio that's still on the fence.
Old 02-13-18, 04:57 PM
All American

Done for the night. It's like talking to brick walls.

Been a long 2 weeks when it comes to Elder talk. The cheering fiasco certainly didn't help the alumni frustration. I need to move on.

Last edited by trey2k; 02-13-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 05:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Been a long 2 weeks when it comes to Elder talk. The cheering fiasco certainly didn't help the alumni frustration. I need to move on.
Exercise your free will, don't login ever again.
Old 02-13-18, 05:23 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Honestly, Elder needs input from guys like you that are current in the market. They need input on what they need to offer to justify the current cost-based price. If they can't keep up with the free schools and offer something more, they can't exist. Some may pay for the Catholic influence, but it sounds like the value may not be worth the cost to most?????

Last edited by IKS; 02-13-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Exactly. I heard at least one of those three mentioned had received far more financial aid to other GCL schools than to Elder. Elder just assumed they had him in the bag no matter what.
From what I was told, Elder did not give any more/less financial aid than they do any other year. I did hear, that St X gave WAY more in aid this year after a smaller class last year. I'm sure any money LaSalle gave away is money they don't have, and based on what we know regarding the Archdiocese and LaSalle, eventually that money will be coming out of Elder's pocket anyways.
Old 02-13-18, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
From what I was told, Elder did not give any more/less financial aid than they do any other year. I did hear, that St X gave WAY more in aid this year after a smaller class last year. I'm sure any money LaSalle gave away is money they don't have, and based on what we know regarding the Archdiocese and LaSalle, eventually that money will be coming out of Elder's pocket anyways.
Can anyone prove that's true? If it is the employee at the Diocese flat out lied to me, but it sure wouldn't be the first time the Diocese has lied.

Last edited by Descartes; 02-13-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 06:30 PM
Freshman

Jones1975 is on a distinguished road
First of all I want to commend the families for the bravery to looking at another option and making tough decisions. I know all 3 families and they are great people. I think this option will be becoming more popular in the coming years for many reasons. Taylor offers nice facilities and a good education. The football coach is outstanding which will help. The last one of the group is definitely still undecided. His decision has nothing to do with playing varsity in sports as a freshman and he could go to school for free at one GCL school and very discounted at another. People need to realize that Elder doesn't have the same mystique it used to. To the crazy adults who have said rude things to these kids should be ashamed of themselves. The stories are crazy!! This is a very personal decision and please leave them alone!!! My son is friends with the last kid deciding and he is one of nicest and most respectful kids I have met.
Old 02-13-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones1975 View Post
First of all I want to commend the families for the bravery to looking at another option and making tough decisions. I know all 3 families and they are great people. I think this option will be becoming more popular in the coming years for many reasons. Taylor offers nice facilities and a good education. The football coach is outstanding which will help. The last one of the group is definitely still undecided. His decision has nothing to do with playing varsity in sports as a freshman and he could go to school for free at one GCL school and very discounted at another. People need to realize that Elder doesn't have the same mystique it used to. To the crazy adults who have said rude things to these kids should be ashamed of themselves. The stories are crazy!! This is a very personal decision and please leave them alone!!! My son is friends with the last kid deciding and he is one of nicest and most respectful kids I have met.
Nobody on this site is ragging on the kids. If it's happening off here, that's a huge problem and whomever those adults are need a beating.And there's nothing "brave" about exploring other options, it's not like it puts their lives in danger... Poor description.

The football coach won't be there long if he has any kind of continued success, and he could very well end up the next HC at Elder.

Last edited by Descartes; 02-13-18 at 07:06 PM.