Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-23-18, 06:14 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
Keeping Track - Bring Back the Mile

Keeping Track - Bring Back the Mile
by Rod O'Donnell
http://runohio.com/index.php/feature...-back-the-mile
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-18, 07:33 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring back the Dual Meet. I like that idea very much. I personally love dual meets when they are between two teams with a lot of talent, and evenly matched, and both teams genuinely care about winning. I feel like the dual meet has fallen too far out of favor in high school track, which is sad. I know I'm probably in the minority for this, but I've always been more interested in team scores and team success then individual success in track and field.

What I think would be really cool, and I know the logistics of such a crazy idea like mine would be tough to work out...but I would quite like the idea of a state dual meet championship in track. The top 4 teams in each regular district would qualify. 1st place vs 4th place, 2nd vs 3rd. That would be 6 rounds per division, the winner would be the state champion. if two duals are run a week, a champion dual meet team could be crowned in 3 weeks. The real difficulty would be how the logistics of such a crazy idea would fit with the state tournament we have already. As this dual meet state championship would not take the place of the state championship, but would be like what they have in wrestling, with a dual meet championship in addition to the individual tournament. I know, its a crazy idea, but it would bring back the dual meet.
Old 01-24-18, 08:57 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
I feel like Dual meets would not go over well with kids today. We do have 4-6 races on the schedule that are 3 or 4 teams. I like the quad meet size.
Old 01-24-18, 04:39 PM
All American

Dual Meets are still in fashion in the PTC. My own Coventry, in addition to the 4 league meets (three of which are tri-meets, but they are scored as separate dual meets), runs dual meets against Hoban, Barberton, and Mogadore. For a total of 7. So duals are especially fashionable in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-25-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
I feel like Dual meets would not go over well with kids today. We do have 4-6 races on the schedule that are 3 or 4 teams. I like the quad meet size.
If you have a smaller roster, I can see where dual meets aren't too appealing. I'm at a small school, but our roster is disproportionately large, so dual meets are an important ingredient in developing the kids who may not be good enough to crack the weekend lineup but have the ability to be contributors down the road.

Tri-meets and quad meets are a good option for teams that don't have enough bodies to adequately fill all the events, but I don't enjoy them if all teams involved have an overabundance of participants. My school once hosted a tri-meet in which there were between 40 and 50 boys and girls throwing the discus. I had the pleasure of operating the event. IIRC, only 6 of the legal throws I measured that day traveled beyond 100 feet. It took nearly 3 hours to complete the event. I was feeling sorry for myself until I looked through the stadium gate and saw a similar number of kids huddled in the bullpen waiting to run the 100.
Old 01-25-18, 01:18 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
If you have a smaller roster, I can see where dual meets aren't too appealing. I'm at a small school, but our roster is disproportionately large, so dual meets are an important ingredient in developing the kids who may not be good enough to crack the weekend lineup but have the ability to be contributors down the road.

Tri-meets and quad meets are a good option for teams that don't have enough bodies to adequately fill all the events, but I don't enjoy them if all teams involved have an overabundance of participants. My school once hosted a tri-meet in which there were between 40 and 50 boys and girls throwing the discus. I had the pleasure of operating the event. IIRC, only 6 of the legal throws I measured that day traveled beyond 100 feet. It took nearly 3 hours to complete the event. I was feeling sorry for myself until I looked through the stadium gate and saw a similar number of kids huddled in the bullpen waiting to run the 100.
When we run against a school like Davidson or Thomas Worthington there can be a lot of kids competing. One year we had 19 heats of the 100 and 16 of the 200 alone. Even when we limit kids to only one sprint or the other we routinely will have 14-16 heats. The field events, particularly the throws, can take a really long time, even though we limit entries. If we and our opponents had all of our varsity kids competing in all of their events we would be there until 9:00. (I have been to a few away dual meets where they had fewer parent volunteers for organization that lasted until after 10:00 pm.)
Old 01-25-18, 04:26 PM
All American

I like what Woodridge does, which is load up many of their slower sprinters into relays.
Old 01-26-18, 09:17 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
We always have 4 or 5 teams in each sprint relay. But we can’t just tell the kids they are only running one event each every meet.
Old 01-27-18, 07:33 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
3. Allow all members of your team to compete. If this is not possible, because of large numbers, hold junior varsity or separate-gender meets, conducted on different days or alternate weeks.
That's from the article. One of the ways to keep from running 20 sections of the 200 but still allow each athlete to compete in 3-4 events is to have a JV schedule.
Old 01-27-18, 11:57 AM
All World

ccrunner4815 is on a distinguished road
Would love to see them bring back the mile in the Olympics and all major meets in place of the 1500 meters!
Old 02-06-18, 04:18 PM
Junior Varsity

morgan is on a distinguished road
Bring back the mile

Curious about "Bring back the mile" idea. Why?
Is it the word "mile"? Is it a rebellion against the metric system?
I also would like to see the 1500m eliminated and replaced. But why the mile?
Why not the 1600m? The mile is longer than the 1600m by 368 in., or 30.67 ft., or 10.22 yd.
Running the 1600 is like running the mile minus just 10yd. A first-and-ten in football. Why not replace the 1500m with the 1600m?
All the nations on Earth use the metric system. Except the United States.
By what logic would we want the entire world to change one race for the sake of one country?

Last edited by morgan; 02-06-18 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-18, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Every distance runner in the world understands the importance of the 4 minute mile, so that is one reason others would like that distance raced more frequently.

I agree that I don't understand how the countries using the metric system went with 1500 and 3000 rather than even laps, they all run the 400 and 800, no 300's or 600's.
Old 02-07-18, 02:49 PM
All Region

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Is it the word "mile"? Is it a rebellion against the metric system?
I also would like to see the 1500m eliminated and replaced. But why the mile?
Why not the 1600m? The mile is longer than the 1600m by 368 in., or 30.67 ft., or 10.22 yd.
Running the 1600 is like running the mile minus just 10yd. A first-and-ten in football. Why not replace the 1500m with the 1600m?
All the nations on Earth use the metric system. Except the United States.
By what logic would we want the entire world to change one race for the sake of one country?
Morgan, I have always found it "weird" that non-high school track runs the 1500m and 3000m instead of the 1600m and the 3200m because we still have the 800m, 400m and 200m races.

Many sports keep the tradition of their sport in its original measurements. No matter the country, Golf is measured in yards, Soccer/Football fields are 120 yards long (typically) with a Penalty Area, Goal Box, etc. specifically ruled in yards. Same is true for Rugby. Dimensions of a tennis court are 78 feet by 27 feet but you could also say 23.77 meters by 6.40 meters. The height of the basketball rim is 10 feet but you could also say 3.048 meters.

The world should return to the mile/1600m as it is tradition. (I don't have a problem with either because I can visualize a quick adjustment if needed).
Old 02-08-18, 07:45 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
Morgan, I have always found it "weird" that non-high school track runs the 1500m and 3000m instead of the 1600m and the 3200m because we still have the 800m, 400m and 200m races.

Many sports keep the tradition of their sport in its original measurements. No matter the country, Golf is measured in yards, Soccer/Football fields are 120 yards long (typically) with a Penalty Area, Goal Box, etc. specifically ruled in yards. Same is true for Rugby. Dimensions of a tennis court are 78 feet by 27 feet but you could also say 23.77 meters by 6.40 meters. The height of the basketball rim is 10 feet but you could also say 3.048 meters.

The world should return to the mile/1600m as it is tradition. (I don't have a problem with either because I can visualize a quick adjustment if needed).

Originally they only ran the 1500. The mile claimed fame much later into the 20th century.

The reasoning... most tracks were built for 500 meters in length. That is why they ran the:

1500- 3 laps
3000- 6 laps
5000- 10 laps
10000-20 laps

The 500 meter distance also let the 200 meters be on a straightaway.

Not until soccer, rugby, gaelic football, and hurling- in Europe-- 1920's and american gridiron football mid 1900's in the US that tracks started to be built into 400 meters in length. The 400 sits around these athletic fields nicely. Which makes for an easy viewership of spectators.
Old 02-09-18, 09:18 AM
All Region

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Originally they only ran the 1500. The mile claimed fame much later into the 20th century.
If the race event standards of "track history" was the 1896 First Modern Olympics, the "athletic" events held at the Panathenaic Stadium (204m length track) were:

110m hurdles
100m, 400m, 800m, 1500m
marathon
long jump, triple jump, high jump, pole vault
shot put, discuss

This history doesn't seem to support my 1600m argument but doesn't quite follow the 500m track discussion either. So, I can't explain why they would have run a 1500m race instead of a 1600m race when they run a 400m and 800m race. In your defense, they held the modern Olympics in a stadium that was originally built in 144 AD so they may have been stuck with those funky track dimensions.

Last edited by sportsfanofyear; 02-09-18 at 10:36 AM..
Old 02-09-18, 09:56 AM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
If the race event standards of "track history" was the 1896 First Modern Olympics, the "athletic" events held at the Panathenaic Stadium (204m length track) were:

110m hurdles
100m, 400m, 800m, 1500m
marathon
long jump, triple jump, high jump, pole vault
shot put, discuss

This history doesn't seem to support my 1600m argument but doesn't quite follow the 500m track discussion either. So, I can't explain know why they would have run a 1500m race instead of a 1600m race when they run a 400m and 800m race. In your defense, they held the modern Olympics in a stadium that was originally built in 144 AD so they may have been stuck with those funky track dimensions.
I believe the original tracks were actually 300 meters.
Old 02-09-18, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the tributary stream, see Mile Run (New Jersey).

Gunder Hägg (right) defeats Arne Andersson with a world record for the mile of 4:06.2 min in Gothenburg in 1942.
The mile run (1,760 yards[1] or exactly 1,609.344 metres) is a middle-distance foot race.

The history of the mile run event began in England, where it was used as a distance for gambling races. It survived track and field's switch to metric distances in the 1900s and retained its popularity, with the chase for the four-minute mile in the 1950s a high point for the race.

In spite of the roughly equivalent 1500 metres race, the mile run is present in all fields of athletics and it remains the only imperial distance for which the IAAF records an official world record. Although the mile does not feature at any major championship competition, the Wanamaker Mile, Dream Mile, and Bowerman Mile races are among the foremost annual middle-distance races indoors and outdoors, respectively.