Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 01:43 PM
Freshman

chestrockwell is on a distinguished road
WG Head Coach

Heard there is a meeting tonite w three finalists.
Anyone have idea who the 3 are?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-17, 01:48 PM
Moderated User

Westgbooster is on a distinguished road
I heard a painsville coach is one of the candidates
To make final 3 , assuming it's Harvey's head coach
Old 04-20-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone up there go to board meetings? Talk to the AD? 3 candidates and no one knows any names?

Did Javorek apply? He seems to be a pretty die hard West G guy, albeit young.
Old 04-20-17, 04:11 PM
All District

JustASpectator is on a distinguished road
There are 3 finalists, but only 2 are under consideration. Both are head coaches somewhere else and do not want their names out there unless they are chosen. I do not know either name, but have heard all names that were rumored do not include the finalists. I do know Javorek did not apply.

Of course, all of this may be false information!
Old 04-20-17, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASpectator View Post
There are 3 finalists, but only 2 are under consideration. Both are head coaches somewhere else and do not want their names out there unless they are chosen. I do not know either name, but have heard all names that were rumored do not include the finalists. I do know Javorek did not apply.

This is a public school gig so the names will get out there.
Old 04-20-17, 05:01 PM
All District

JustASpectator is on a distinguished road
I agree. They have done a good job keeping names quiet thus far. Names should be out after third round of interviews.
Old 04-20-17, 05:53 PM
All Region

Champ Kind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASpectator View Post

Just make a public records request and you can get the applications.
Old 04-23-17, 09:20 AM
Moderated User

Cramer head coach at painsville Harvey
Was a finalist !
Minerva ex head coach another finalist
Still 3rd guy!
I heard this other guy had best interview!
But no one will say his name!
Old 04-23-17, 09:22 AM
Moderated User

Also was told west g will be making decision this Monday or Tuesday
Old 04-26-17, 11:36 AM
Junior Varsity

buno67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgbooster View Post
Cramer head coach at painsville Harvey
Was a finalist !
Minerva ex head coach another finalist
Still 3rd guy!
I heard this other guy had best interview!
But no one will say his name!
Cramer is a good guy. I hope he gets the job. Young coach but has a lot of experience. It be a big blow to Harvey as he had something building there.
Old 04-27-17, 02:26 PM
Moderated User

Looked up Craemer , building something?
Went 1/9 last year giving up 53 points a game!
Only win was John marshal overtime
But I hope he is good ��
Old 04-29-17, 05:48 AM
Go Black and Gold!

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Craemer is the guy. Harvey just can't get a break. If their enrollment wasn't more than double most of the schools in the Valley, I'd suggest they swap divisions with Kirtland. It just does them no justice to potentially lose to a bunch of V-VII schools.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...emer-new-coach
Old 04-29-17, 01:22 PM
Moderated User

Yes 1/9 giving up 50 points a game, deserves a promotion?
Let's give him a chance hopefully he is better than stats.
Old 05-19-17, 10:25 AM
Freshman

City League Cbus Fan is on a distinguished road
Craemer

An interesting hire. Only 31, like the L.A. Rams' (Feels weird typing that!) Sean McVay.

Cirino was 33 when he left--he told me that he wanted to stay there 55 years like JoePa. Yes, that's true.

I'm in Cbus but had connections to that particular school up east of CLE.

http://www.chesterlandnews.com/sports/berkshire-grade-to-lead-west-g-football/#.WRmm-2-1Jvs.facebook

The AD, Joe Leonette, is a WG alum too, class of 2008.

Leonette said there were 60 applicants for the position and West G did 20 interviews.

“He was my guy,” Leonette said. “I reached out to him. He didn’t have a single bad reference. He brings head coaching experience to the table. He has experience with the conference. To me, it was a no brainer.”

Craemer, 31, led Harvey the past two seasons, going 6-4 in 2015 and 1-9 this past year.

Craemer replaces Lou Cirino, a West G grade, who left after this past season to coach at Strongsville. Cirino was 46-28 in seven seasons at West G including four trips to the playoffs. The Wolverines were 6-4 this past season.
Old 05-19-17, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure he is a great guy and everything but he went 1-9 with 70 kids on his roster. Their only win came against a Cleveland city school who was also 1-9. I don't mean to be a debbie downer but if you really had 60 applicants and this guy is who you hired, maybe you should be looking for a new AD. I can't imagine he was the first choice for this gig, which is what I have heard. In just two years it is hard to gauge how successful he is as a coach but they lost to some awful teams last year, and they didn't seem to have a numbers problem. Seems very odd.
Old 05-19-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
The AD graduated from High School in 2008?
Old 05-20-17, 11:09 AM
Freshman

Dee Lou Chanel is on a distinguished road
That's part of the problem. He wasn't ready for this hiring...he may have to start from scratch sooner than later.
Old 05-21-17, 04:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
I'm sure he is a great guy and everything but he went 1-9 with 70 kids on his roster. Their only win came against a Cleveland city school who was also 1-9. I don't mean to be a debbie downer but if you really had 60 applicants and this guy is who you hired, maybe you should be looking for a new AD. I can't imagine he was the first choice for this gig, which is what I have heard. In just two years it is hard to gauge how successful he is as a coach but they lost to some awful teams last year, and they didn't seem to have a numbers problem. Seems very odd.
Numbers isnt the issue, its the players they need to build up. Program has been down for awhile. His first year he had a lot of good talent and help lead Harvey to a pretty good year for their standards. Just sucks he lost his entire group of starting skill players. He doesnt have the roster with developed players. With the schedule they faced last year, I am not surprised they only won one game.

He knows his Xs and Os, now just give him the Jimmy and Joes or allow him to develop the talent.

I would use the record against him if Harvey was winning like 4-7 games a year but they are a team that wins 1-3 games a year. Now if Harvey was in the Valley division, winning 1 game would be pretty bad but in the Chagrin division, when on paper they are last or second to last, the record shouldnt be there. Heck him taking the team to 4 wins last year carries more weight than him winning 1 game this year.

Craemer is a guy who could be a long term type hire. Not a guy who would use it as a stepping stone. He has coached in north east ohio, he might be ready to lock in for the long haul.
Old 05-21-17, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

Sounds like wishful thinking....the best coaches in this business get something out of nothing...no horse in the race, just sounds like an AD who is over his head.
Old 05-21-17, 09:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Sounds like wishful thinking....the best coaches in this business get something out of nothing...no horse in the race, just sounds like an AD who is over his head.
hey did, the amount of wins he got his first two years, took 5 seasons previously.

Man, acting like harvey is a hot bed of talent. Yeah they get a good kid here or there but they really have enough kids to put together a competitive team.

You take the likes of Rosati, Iammarino, or Cirino and made them the head coach of Harvey and I doubt they are having immediate results.
Old 05-22-17, 07:15 AM
All Ohio

If you read my post carefully, I said that two years is too short of a window to judge a coach. My indictment is more on the AD, who claims to have had 60 applicants but yet choose a coach coming off a 1-9 season. That 1-9 season is pretty awful considering several of those teams were down and few of those games were competitive...only 2 playoff teams Wickliffe and Perry. Maybe this guys takes WG to the playoffs next year and this AD wins administrator of the year...but more than likely it was a case of the first couple of choices turned the job down and he turned to a guy who wanted out of Harvey.
Old 05-26-17, 10:31 PM
Freshman

Leonette

Yep, class of 2008, West Geauga.
http://www.news-herald.com/article/h...NEWS/150909900

West Geauga High School welcomes Joe Leonette as the new Athletic Director.

Leonette completed his undergraduate work in accounting and sports management at Notre Dame College, where he also served as the Student Athletic Manager for the Athletic Department.

He was an AD intern at Chagrin Falls High School and will complete his MAA through The Ohio University in the fall of 2016. Leonette also served for one year as Athletic Director for Berkshire Local Schools.

His passion for baseball led him to coach varsity baseball at Beachwood High School. He is a 2008 graduate of West Geauga where he lettered in baseball all four years.
Old 05-26-17, 10:34 PM
Freshman

Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buno67 View Post
Numbers isnt the issue, its the players they need to build up. Program has been down for awhile. His first year he had a lot of good talent and help lead Harvey to a pretty good year for their standards. Just sucks he lost his entire group of starting skill players. He doesnt have the roster with developed players. With the schedule they faced last year, I am not surprised they only won one game.

He knows his Xs and Os, now just give him the Jimmy and Joes or allow him to develop the talent.

I would use the record against him if Harvey was winning like 4-7 games a year but they are a team that wins 1-3 games a year. Now if Harvey was in the Valley division, winning 1 game would be pretty bad but in the Chagrin division, when on paper they are last or second to last, the record shouldnt be there. Heck him taking the team to 4 wins last year carries more weight than him winning 1 game this year.

Craemer is a guy who could be a long term type hire. Not a guy who would use it as a stepping stone. He has coached in north east ohio, he might be ready to lock in for the long haul.
On the pro level, this reminds me of Belichick taking a 3-13 team in 1990 and making it 6-10 in 1991 with an aging roster he had to rebuild on the fly. He just didn't have the horses, but if Craemer can take a West G team with some talent to play above their heads and beat CF and Aurora (the equivalent of beating BAL and PIT each year) on a consistent basis he will be a revered coach.

Cirino's teams struggled against CF. They were 1-6 against them. The Wolverines last beat CF in 2006 by memory 35-0 and didn't win against them until 2016, and that was a tough 24-21 win or something like that. CF wasn't even that great in 2016 and put up a good fight.
Old 05-27-17, 08:37 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by City League Cbus Fan View Post
On the pro level, this reminds me of Belichick taking a 3-13 team in 1990 and making it 6-10 in 1991 with an aging roster he had to rebuild on the fly. He just didn't have the horses, but if Craemer can take a West G team with some talent to play above their heads and beat CF and Aurora (the equivalent of beating BAL and PIT each year) on a consistent basis he will be a revered coach.

Cirino's teams struggled against CF. They were 1-6 against them. The Wolverines last beat CF in 2006 by memory 35-0 and didn't win against them until 2016, and that was a tough 24-21 win or something like that. CF wasn't even that great in 2016 and put up a good fight.
Aurora is no longer on the schedule, not a CVC team anymore. They did drop to DIII this year with competitive balance. (Last time they were DIII they were state champs).

Iammarino always had Cirino's number. He's an excellent coach.

The AD probably had little say on the hire. This would be a big boy hire and that means his superiors were involved.
Old 05-27-17, 08:57 AM
Freshman

chestrockwell is on a distinguished road
bad hire and it will get worse. way better coaches available. he will luck into playoffs because of talent but best kids will leave and are leaving because of leonette
this guy wont be able to keep them not dynamic enough
the will be 5-5 the following yr
way to screw it up wg
Old 05-27-17, 09:40 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestrockwell View Post
bad hire and it will get worse. way better coaches available. he will luck into playoffs because of talent but best kids will leave and are leaving because of leonette
this guy wont be able to keep them not dynamic enough
the will be 5-5 the following yr
way to screw it up wg
Curious to why you're saying it will get worse. I hear kids were leaving more because of the middle school coach than anything else. There's always better candidates...why I said the AD wasn't ready and superiors stepped in. Maybe it was slim pickings after waiting 3 months to hire a coach?

They do have a favorable schedule. And they dropped to D4.
Old 05-27-17, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

Being D4 Reg 13, wont help, one could argue it is more difficult than where they were. Time will tell if this works out. At the end of the day WG is a nice program but they aren't a perennial playoff team under Cirino and that absolutely will not change under under new staff. There has to be more information we don't have which is the case with most hires. Like I said...if it works out then they should be rewarded and if not they will be fired.
Old 05-27-17, 12:10 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Being D4 Reg 13, wont help, one could argue it is more difficult than where they were. Time will tell if this works out. At the end of the day WG is a nice program but they aren't a perennial playoff team under Cirino and that absolutely will not change under under new staff. There has to be more information we don't have which is the case with most hires. Like I said...if it works out then they should be rewarded and if not they will be fired.
Disagree. With the schedule being the same, teams 9-12 make the playoffs from region 9 in region 13. Last year's record would have most likely been could enough. Being in D4 is of course an easier road for a school like WG.

The 7th seeded team, NDCL was a final 8 team.
Old 05-27-17, 12:43 PM
Moderated User

Doesn't matter, school seems to go from one crisis to another, no confidence from top down
My kids are coming up boys and girls, we will be looking to go private, it's a shame open enrollment, then close it, year later reopen it, wrestling program a disaster, football program
Not stable, young staff, young AD! No culture of winning! It's really a shame WG could be a honey hole, for education and sports, instead it's a culture of losing and incompetence!
Old 05-27-17, 01:09 PM
Moderated User

I'm sorry left out from last post, combining schools with Newberry, not combining, no teacher contracts, no school valedictorian , cutting curriculum AP Classes, principal carrousel
In the elementary schools, lastly the football coaching search was a classic example of how not to do a coach search! Not saying the new coach is going to work or not, but the length of time, and baffonery of interviews, of not knowing what the school was looking for when starting the search! When you have "No plan" you end up with, something you where not looking for!