Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-17, 01:51 PM
All World

jwuerth is on a distinguished road
Sam Martin headed to UC as a preferred walk-on

Cincinnati Summit Country Day point guard Sam Martin has accepted an offer from Mick Cronin and UC to join the program as a preferred walk-on. Sam was Southwest Ohio Division III player of the year and led Summit to a 26-1 record.

He will be a part of the Lindner Business College honors program and has recived a full tuition academic scholarship!

Kudos to Sam!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-17, 03:33 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Congrats on being the token white guy everyone cheers for when he gets garbage time!
Old 04-18-17, 03:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Congrats on being the token white guy everyone cheers for when he gets garbage time!
Being a part of a top 25 program and getting your school paid for sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Congrats on being the token in this thread. And I wouldn't sell Sam short in earning some PT in a couple years.
Old 04-18-17, 03:54 PM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
Looks like the move he was crucified for paid off after all.
Old 04-18-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Congrats to him. Kind of thought he would have played soccer someplace though.
Old 04-18-17, 04:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Looks like the move he was crucified for paid off after all.
He was never bashed for the move. He only left because St X let his dad go.
Old 04-18-17, 04:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Congrats to him. Kind of thought he would have played soccer someplace though.
Has basketball in his blood.
Old 04-18-17, 04:03 PM
All American

There was plenty of back and forth I read about how he was playing when he wasn't as good as some of the other guards (basically saying it was because his dad was the coach).

Granted, there were plenty that disagreed, but there was definitely some animosity towards him/his dad.

I saw him play....he was their best guard no doubt.
Old 04-18-17, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Old 04-18-17, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
Has basketball in his blood.
Looks like soccer in his blood too. Probably a better chance seeing playing time in a significant way in soccer but if your love is hoops....more power to ya!
Old 04-18-17, 04:15 PM
All World

Quote:
There was plenty of back and forth I read about how he was playing when he wasn't as good as some of the other guards (basically saying it was because his dad was the coach).

Granted, there were plenty that disagreed, but there was definitely some animosity towards him/his dad.

I saw him play....he was their best guard no doubt.
I thought you meant about the move to Summit. But yes, you are right, some juniors and seniors he was playing in front of and their parents complained and one set of parents even claimed Scott was a racist and that is why Sam was playing in front of their son. Sam only earned first team at GCL South as a soph and you can't vote for your own players. He also set the St X single season record for 3-pointers made. The looked like fools after he left and they could barely run their offense the past two years.

Mick told Sam that if he earns PT he will play him. Said his job isnt to make friends, it is to win games and if a walk-on is playing better than a scholarship player so be it. I think with hard work Sam could possibly see the floor down the road in a couple years. I hope they red-shirt him. If not, he is getting his tuition paid for and should be set after college with a nice business degree and a UC hoops player on his resume.
Old 04-18-17, 04:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Looks like soccer in his blood too. Probably a better chance seeing playing time in a significant way in soccer but if your love is hoops....more power to ya!
Very good at soccer too, but hoops is his passion. I want to see how much better he can get now that he can just focus on basketball. The plan right now is for him to take a class at UC in the summer so he can take part in all the team functions.
Old 04-18-17, 07:47 PM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Dik
Old 04-19-17, 07:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Being a part of a top 25 program and getting your school paid for sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Congrats on being the token in this thread. And I wouldn't sell Sam short in earning some PT in a couple years.
What part of walk on do you not understand? And it wasn't meant as an insult. More people remember John Meeker's name than they do Taron Barker, Kareem Johnson and a handful of other scholarship players Meeker played with.
Old 04-19-17, 07:29 AM
All American

Quote:
What part of walk on do you not understand?
He received a full-ride academic scholarship...what part of that do you not understand?
Old 04-19-17, 07:34 AM
All American

Quote:
He received a full-ride academic scholarship...what part of that do you not understand?
So...he isn't on a basketball scholarship and is still the token local white guy on the basketball team? Cool, glad we cleared that up.
Old 04-19-17, 08:34 AM
Varsity

Foul Pinebomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Great for the kid. Commuter schools like UC can use all the good students they can get.
Old 04-19-17, 08:49 AM
Varsity

CincyHShoops is on a distinguished road
Good for him. Probably a bit small to ever really challenge for PT, but he will compete every day in practice
Old 04-19-17, 09:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHShoops View Post
Good for him. Probably a bit small to ever really challenge for PT, but he will compete every day in practice
Same exact size of Justin Jenifer. And I'm betting he is going to be a better player than Jenifer.
Old 04-19-17, 10:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Same exact size of Justin Jenifer. And I'm betting he is going to be a bettet player than Jenifer.
Then why was/is Jenifer: 1) offered a scholarship; 2) ranked in the top 150 recruits in his class; 3) ranked a 3*; 4) much more athletic?

It's admirable you're hyping the kid up because he went to your alma mater or you know his dad, but he's going to come off the bench in the final 2 minutes of blowouts for his career just like Meeker, Eppensteiner and Tolbler.
Old 04-19-17, 10:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Then why was/is Jenifer: 1) offered a scholarship; 2) ranked in the top 150 recruits in his class; 3) ranked a 3*; 4) much more athletic?

It's admirable you're hyping the kid up because he went to your alma mater or you know his dad, but he's going to come off the bench in the final 2 minutes of blowouts for his career just like Meeker, Eppensteiner and Tolbler.
I guess we will see in a couple years won't we. And good question as to why Jenifer was offered. And it has nothing to do with admirable, it has to do with knowing how good the kid really is. Very rarely do you see DI hoops coaches taking a chance on a short white kid. Just a fact.
Old 04-19-17, 10:19 AM
All World

And very few guards can stay in front of Sam. He will always be one of the quickest players on the court.

Last edited by jwuerth; 04-19-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 10:47 AM
All American

Quote:
I guess we will see in a couple years won't we. And good question as to why Jenifer was offered. And it has nothing to do with admirable, it has to do with knowing how good the kid really is. Very rarely do you see DI hoops coaches taking a chance on a short white kid. Just a fact.
It has everything to do with admirable. You know them personally and as such, you refuse to be objective. Taking a chance? He's a walk on. He can be dismissed from the team for no reason with no repercussions on Cronin's behalf at any time and pick up another white kid to ride the bench.
Old 04-19-17, 11:11 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Sam is a great kid, good athlete and we are happy for him. You are obviously proud as I am sure his family is. There is a line that you just don't seem to get- please stop putting out the kids private business out there. it is completely inappropriate and rather obnoxious and opens him up to criticism on public forums.
Old 04-19-17, 01:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Sam is a great kid, good athlete and we are happy for him. You are obviously proud as I am sure his family is. There is a line that you just don't seem to get- please stop putting out the kids private business out there. it is completely inappropriate and rather obnoxious and opens him up to criticism on public forums.
Hey genius, what private business did I put out there that is inappropriate or crossed the line? This should be good.
Old 04-19-17, 02:00 PM
All American

His ACT score for instance....
Mine was higher- guess I AM a genius
Seriously- stop, it's uncomfortably bizarre and you talking about how he is going to be better than a current player is rude
Old 04-19-17, 02:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
His ACT score for instance....
Mine was higher- guess I AM a genius
Seriously- stop, it's uncomfortably bizarre and you talking about how he is going to be better than a current player is rude
Give it a rest dude. I didn't see his ACT score posted in this thread but I am damn proud that he got a 32. He had a couple Ivy league's sniffing around too. And there is nothing at all wrong with me feeling that he could be a better player than Jenifer, which was only compared because someone mentioned his size and they are the same size. And no, there is nothing bizarre about it. And we can clearly tell that you are no genius.
Old 04-19-17, 02:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Give it a rest dude. I didn't see his ACT score posted in this thread but I am damn proud that he got a 32. He had a couple Ivy league's sniffing around too. And there is nothing at all wrong with me feeling that he could be a better player than Jenifer, which was only compared because someone mentioned his size and they are the same size. And no, there is nothing bizarre about it. And we can clearly tell that you are no genius.
So are you his uncle or something? That's weird.
Old 04-19-17, 03:42 PM
All American

No he's not even related- can you imagine!? He posted the ACT score in an earlier thread about Martin- who does that about someone else's kid?!. This guy also put out rude response on social media to Mike Dyer- guy is just bizarre and trying too hard.
Old 04-19-17, 03:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Right.....not bizarre at all LaVar Ball wannabe