Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-17, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Number of players from one club at one high school?

Is there a limit?

I've heard different numbers from different people, but the most common one is five.

If you have more than that at your school from one club, what is a coach supposed to do? Not let them play?

It seems like kind of a strange rule to me. I understand competitively they don't want a whole group of kids from one club at a school together, but should they get in the way if it just works out that way?

Does this rule come up often?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 08:05 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Is there a limit?

I've heard different numbers from different people, but the most common one is five.

If you have more than that at your school from one club, what is a coach supposed to do? Not let them play?

It seems like kind of a strange rule to me. I understand competitively they don't want a whole group of kids from one club at a school together, but should they get in the way if it just works out that way?

Does this rule come up often?

It is per team, not club. It is an ohsaa rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-17, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
It's 5 per team. Clubs that have high school teams try to figure out players' high schools during try outs and make selections accordingly.
Old 04-16-17, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
It's a rule across all OHSAA team sports. You can't have half or more of what would constitute a starting lineup for a team sport playing on the same non-scholastic team outside of the season (the exception being in June/July).
Old 04-17-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
It's a rule across all OHSAA team sports. You can't have half or more of what would constitute a starting lineup for a team sport playing on the same non-scholastic team outside of the season (the exception being in June/July).
So it also affects baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc. as well?

Could you have more than 5 in soccer, let's say 5 seniors and 5 sophomores and just have those sophomores only play JV?

I'm curious because there is a school around here that has to have more than 5 (more like 10) and I'm wondering how they could possibly be getting around it.
Old 04-17-17, 04:52 PM
Freshman

ISI is on a distinguished road
The OHSAA rule states that a club team cannot have more than 5 players from the same school on that team. The only way around this rule is that seniors DO NOT count toward the 5. If there is a player on the team that is an underclassman but did not play high school soccer the past season they do not count either. The 5 player rule if for players that are in grades 9 - 11 and were on the roster for the school. The team (Freshmen, JV, or Varsity) does not matter if they are from the same school you can only have 5. If a player on that club teams says they are not playing this coming fall but played high school last year they still count as part of the 5.
Old 04-17-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

East - what is the age group of the club team? Because current 8th graders playing up also won't count against those numbers. Only matters if they are currently in high school and played on last year's high school team.

One of my kid's teams had that where they had 8th graders playing up on a high school aged club team. My son and his other high school teammates were freshmen.

Also...In other sports the number you can have varies.
Old 04-17-17, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
East - what is the age group of the club team? Because current 8th graders playing up also won't count against those numbers. Only matters if they are currently in high school and played on last year's high school team.

One of my kid's teams had that where they had 8th graders playing up on a high school aged club team. My son and his other high school teammates were freshmen.

Also...In other sports the number you can have varies.
I think I had it backwards.

I thought it was number of club kids on a high school team (grades 9-12), not the number high school kids competing for an individual club team.

That makes a big difference.

So in essence a club COULD have 5 kids per age group from the same high school..... say 5 on U15, 5 on U16, 5 on U17, 5 on U18 and 5 on U19

is that correct?
Old 04-17-17, 07:22 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
The rule impacts ALL OHSAA team sports. A single team cannot have half or greater of a starting lineup from one school on one squad (basketball - can only have two, baseball - can only have four, etc).

Read the OHSAA regulations for the exact verbiage. But the part that I know for sure is that it's for one given club squad not within a club organization. A school could have four players on the U-15 team for club "X", another four on the U-16 team, and another four on the U-17 team. Just that at no time can six players from one school roster be on let's say the U-16 team for club "X".
Old 04-17-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The rule impacts ALL OHSAA team sports. A single team cannot have half or greater of a starting lineup from one school on one squad (basketball - can only have two, baseball - can only have four, etc).

Read the OHSAA regulations for the exact verbiage. But the part that I know for sure is that it's for one given club squad not within a club organization. A school could have four players on the U-15 team for club "X", another four on the U-16 team, and another four on the U-17 team. Just that at no time can six players from one school roster be on let's say the U-16 team for club "X".
Thanks for helping to clarify

In essence with high school run by grade and soccer by age, you could easily have 25-30 kids from the same club in your program.
Old 04-18-17, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I think I had it backwards.

I thought it was number of club kids on a high school team (grades 9-12), not the number high school kids competing for an individual club team.

That makes a big difference.

So in essence a club COULD have 5 kids per age group from the same high school..... say 5 on U15, 5 on U16, 5 on U17, 5 on U18 and 5 on U19

is that correct?
You're correct. You can also take it a step further. If that club has multiple U17 teams for example (some in Dayton area do and I imagine the same in some of the bigger cities with the bigger clubs) you could have have 5 from the same high school on the first U17 team, 5 on the second U17 team and so on. As long as they are on separate teams within the club.
Old 04-18-17, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

There actually is a Club X in Xenia (at least there used to be)....just thought that was funny. Always sounded like a strip club to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: