Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-14-17, 12:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi Trailer (2017)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Bit of snore for a trailer. That Thor one wasn't though.
Old 04-14-17, 04:48 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Hoping for more of a Rogue one feel than TFA. Honestly, if it's like TFA I'll just stop going to these movies.
Old 04-15-17, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Hoping for more of a Rogue one feel than TFA. Honestly, if it's like TFA I'll just stop going to these movies.

I wonder if that won't be a bit of a fan-base dividing line: Rogue One vs. TFA. Rogue One has continuity on its side, the story mattered whereas TFA put a bullet hole in established continuity. I still preferred TFA, simply because I was entertained, it has new things and I enjoyed most of the actors (except the prime villains) whereas I didn't like almost anything about RO: not the acting, not the world building,.. it came off to ME as a poor fan product for British only.

Are there other IN continuity movies like RO in the works? I imagine the Rebels cartoon will connect sooner or later to RO, or that might make a good movie: kind of here's what happened to...
Old 04-15-17, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Literally everything about Rogue One was better than TFA. The acting, the story, the characters, the tone. It was exactly the type of storytelling that made Star Wars so popular in the first place.

I believe there is a Han Solo film in the works.
Old 04-15-17, 01:48 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Go Galactic Empire
Old 04-15-17, 02:43 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
While the whole Star Wars foundation makes it hard to make a bad film I thought TFA was much better than RO.
Old 04-15-17, 03:14 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Rogue One was cardboard. Especially Felicity Jones who always has the same blank expression on her face in every role she plays. The characters were so forgettable that it had no impact if they died.

This has a very Empire feel to it and that's a good thing considering ESB is one of the best movies ever regardless of genre or franchise.
Old 04-15-17, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Literally everything about Rogue One was better than TFA. The acting, the story, the characters, the tone. It was exactly the type of storytelling that made Star Wars so popular in the first place.

I believe there is a Han Solo film in the works.
The Han Solo one is in production now.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-17, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I wonder if that won't be a bit of a fan-base dividing line: Rogue One vs. TFA. Rogue One has continuity on its side, the story mattered whereas TFA put a bullet hole in established continuity. I still preferred TFA, simply because I was entertained, it has new things and I enjoyed most of the actors (except the prime villains) whereas I didn't like almost anything about RO: not the acting, not the world building,.. it came off to ME as a poor fan product for British only.

Are there other IN continuity movies like RO in the works? I imagine the Rebels cartoon will connect sooner or later to RO, or that might make a good movie: kind of here's what happened to...

How did TFA screw up continuity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-17, 11:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
How did TFA screw up continuity?
It'd be spoilerish if I answered but the books had things somewhat differently..I guess what we're seeing in the movies is Disney Star Wars.
Old 04-16-17, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It'd be spoilerish if I answered but the books had things somewhat differently..I guess what we're seeing in the movies is Disney Star Wars.
The books mean nothing anymore.
Old 04-16-17, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

The books were never official continuity.

Just fan fiction essentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-17, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The books were never official continuity.

Just fan fiction essentially.
I guess that would depend upon your definition of "never" but I'm not about to get into a geek debate.

Quote:
In April 2014, most of the licensed Star Wars novels and comics produced since the originating 1977 film Star Wars were rebranded by Lucasfilm as Star Wars Legends and declared non-canon to the franchise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
The books mean nothing anymore.
right, because.... the movie changed continuity. You were making a different point or just following up on the thought?

Shame really. The books were way more interesting then the plot set out by this movie. Of course, opinion and all that. I guess they had to dumb it down to get it into a few movies. Still, I enjoyed the movie.
Old 04-16-17, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I guess that would depend upon your definition of "never" but I'm not about to get into a geek debate.

right, because.... the movie changed continuity. You were making a different point or just following up on the thought?

Shame really. The books were way more interesting then the plot set out by this movie. Of course, opinion and all that. I guess they had to dumb it down to get it into a few movies. Still, I enjoyed the movie.
didn't know if you realized the books had been tossed aside, that's all

i'm sure they realized that the majority of people did not read all the books and were not familiar with what happened in them.

basing anything in the movies on anything that happened in them would have been a bad idea.

Leaving them aside was much easier.
Old 04-17-17, 05:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
didn't know if you realized the books had been tossed aside, that's all

i'm sure they realized that the majority of people did not read all the books and were not familiar with what happened in them.

basing anything in the movies on anything that happened in them would have been a bad idea.

Leaving them aside was much easier.
Last one mostly I'd imagine. Disney wanted the $, without any difficult constraints from the history. I don't agree that basing or even reflecting the movies on already established continuity, would have been a "bad idea." It was good history. Writers merge into established continuity all the time. Disney did it with Rogue One.

It was Disney's choice to take the easy road with TFA. It still worked out for me, as I liked that movie and the good guy characters. I just don't think the story is as strong as what had been established.
Old 04-17-17, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Last one mostly I'd imagine. Disney wanted the $, without any difficult constraints from the history. I don't agree that basing or even reflecting the movies on already established continuity, would have been a "bad idea." It was good history. Writers merge into established continuity all the time. Disney did it with Rogue One.

It was Disney's choice to take the easy road with TFA. It still worked out for me, as I liked that movie and the good guy characters. I just don't think the story is as strong as what had been established.
It was never 'established continuity' as long as more movies were a possibility. Like someone mentioned above, they were really nothing more than fan fiction.

Again, the point of leaving them out was just how many people were aware of what the books laid out?

Other than hardcore fans, very, very few people read all the books. i imagine most hardcore folks didn't read ALL of them. I never have and I know way more about the Sarlacc than the average joe.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I totally understand why they did it. It's their choice, not ours.

NOW, if I had written the books and stood to make money off of continuing sales, I'd be pretty pissed. Pissed at Disney, but more pissed at Lucas for selling everything without giving the book folks a lifeline.

Imagine how many of those books would have sold had they been the basis for new movies?
Old 04-17-17, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

Some pretty highly recognized authors, sales from 500,000 to 15 million a novel with 160 million total and their plotlines were Lucas approved but if someone wants to call the books "fan fiction," it's their sandy semantics in their ears I suppose. Just a pissing contest waiting to happen.

Yeah as I posted, I understand why also. Easier money. Is the story as good? I'd be unfair to judge after just one movie but I suspect this being Disney and they've made clear their loyalty is only to the bottom line, is going to be a long drug out story.
Old 04-18-17, 12:28 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Isnt this one officially a 'teaser' and not a trailer? Not that it matters.

I thought Rogue One was phenomenal. TFA was good....at the time and I think a good way to restart the whole franchise again. The Last Jedi could be and I hope it will be fantastic. For whatever reason, I don't have a great feeling about the young Han Solo movie in production.

RO really put together a lot of pieces and I enjoyed the CGI.

Read a few things that they may want to keep on extending out more SW movies even past these three and stand alones.....but may just do so in in trilogies then a break, then another trilogy, etc.
Old 04-18-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Some pretty highly recognized authors, sales from 500,000 to 15 million a novel with 160 million total and their plotlines were Lucas approved but if someone wants to call the books "fan fiction," it's their sandy semantics in their ears I suppose. Just a pissing contest waiting to happen.

Yeah as I posted, I understand why also. Easier money. Is the story as good? I'd be unfair to judge after just one movie but I suspect this being Disney and they've made clear their loyalty is only to the bottom line, is going to be a long drug out story.
Is is just that now. Like i said, blame George. He pulled the rug out from under them.

If they were considered canon, I'd probably be furiously reading them all right now to catch up, like I did everything Tolkien after the Hobbit came out
Old 04-18-17, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

So the dividing line is "Return of the Jedi?" Everything before is still "canon" and everything after is up to Disney?

I guess like the Han Solo movie, there are still things that can be "filled in." Also things in (more) ancient history that connect to the games. I'd like to see a movie with HK-47.
Old 04-18-17, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So the dividing line is "Return of the Jedi?" Everything before is still "canon" and everything after is up to Disney?

I guess like the Han Solo movie, there are still things that can be "filled in." Also things in (more) ancient history that connect to the games. I'd like to see a movie with HK-47.
I have no idea where you got that.

I think it's all out. The books. Droids cartoons. Christmas specials. Tartakovsky's cartoon. Clone wars cartoons.

I don't watch rebels so I can't say one way or the other. It's Disney so I'm guessing it's canon? No idea.
Old 04-18-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
See if this helps...

The original 3. The prequels. Clone Wars movie & TV show. The sequel trilogies. Rogue one, Han Solo & third stand-alone. Rebels TV show. Those are all in as "official canon".

Then a bunch of new novels, comics, etc.

And whatever else happens in the future.

Any of the older novels, etc. are considered "Expanded Universe". I have read a couple of books. Not bad but depending on the author, could be quite different.
Old 04-18-17, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
See if this helps...

The original 3. The prequels. Clone Wars movie & TV show. The sequel trilogies. Rogue one, Han Solo & third stand-alone. Rebels TV show. Those are all in as "official canon".

Then a bunch of new novels, comics, etc.

And whatever else happens in the future.

Any of the older novels, etc. are considered "Expanded Universe". I have read a couple of books. Not bad but depending on the author, could be quite different.
I think that nails it. Thanks! I'd miss the "Thrawn" canon, which was set after "Return." Hope they can work that in but Jade might be the hitch. I can't imagine any problem with another of my favorites, "Tales From Mos Eisley."

Quote:
I have no idea where you got that.
Quote:
So the dividing line is "Return of the Jedi-->?<--" Everything before is still "canon" and everything after is up to Disney-->?<---
It was a question, not a statement.

The reason I asked about that timeline specifically was because it would seem difficult for Disney to exclude what had been shown in a previous movie (without pulling a Star Trek) and the books set in those eras were supposedly in line with movie "canon." Thanks.

With the Han Solo movie, I'm waiting for the uproar that Princess Leia isn't getting equal treatment.
Old 04-18-17, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
I think that nails it. Thanks! I'd miss the "Thrawn" canon, which was set after "Return." Hope they can work that in but Jade might be the hitch. I can't imagine any problem with another of my favorites, "Tales From Mos Eisley."

It was a question, not a statement.

The reason I asked about that timeline specifically was because it would seem difficult for Disney to exclude what had been shown in a previous movie (without pulling a Star Trek) and the books set in those eras were supposedly in line with movie "canon." Thanks.

With the Han Solo movie, I'm waiting for the uproar that Princess Leia isn't getting equal treatment.

for what its worth, Seasons 3 and 4 of Star Wars Rebels is using Thrawn. You might enjoy that.

Makes him canon, though not necessarily the books.
Old 04-18-17, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
for what its worth, Seasons 3 and 4 of Star Wars Rebels is using Thrawn. You might enjoy that.

Makes him canon, though not necessarily the books.
I've been watching thanks and yes I have enjoyed. You?

Watching the first few seasons of Clones, not being a big cartoon watcher, I was impressed how relevant the stories were to both the story and relationships and how intelligently written the characters. Same Rebels, though less on relationships IMO. Next season I'm hoping will start to make strong connections to Rogue One and Hope.

Ultimately though, don't you think there's a lot of questions that Rebel's fans don't look forward to having answered? There's a lot of characters that would seemingly need to disappear. Writers seemed to recognize this when plotting Rogue One. They had to intro characters to try and keep it fresh knowing full well, the characters were doomed.
Old 04-18-17, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

Watching the first few seasons of Clones, not being a big cartoon watcher, I was impressed how relevant the stories were to both the story and relationships and how intelligently written the characters. Same Rebels, though less on relationships IMO. Next season I'm hoping will start to make strong connections to Rogue One and Hope.

Ultimately though, don't you think there's a lot of questions that Rebel's fans don't look forward to having answered? There's a lot of characters that would seemingly need to disappear. Writers seemed to recognize this when plotting Rogue One. They had to intro characters to try and keep it fresh knowing full well, the characters were doomed.

I haven't read the Thrawn Trilogy, but I've really enjoyed him in the show. They've done a good job of making him an incredibly skilled, strategic mastermind.

I'm currently reading Catalyst, which is the Rogue One prequel book.
Old 04-18-17, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

I'll look for it. Thanks
Old 04-19-17, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

No doubt. There are many that need to go.

This last season will be fun to watch as it will be on right around the release of the next movie.
Old 04-19-17, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Bit of snore for a trailer. That Thor one wasn't though.

Agreed...this was pretty meh...as opposed to the Thor trailer, which killed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: