Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 04:28 PM
All Ohio

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Mansfield D-2 District Rankings (Off Season #1)

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

These off-season rankings will start off with the wrestlers listed at the weights that they wrestled in the 2016-2017 season.
I’ll move wrestlers up and down as the off-season progresses (and add the incoming freshmen into the rankings eventually). Feel free to let me know if anyone has inside information about new weights, schools, or wrestlers that they think should be added.
I will also move teams up and down when the new divisional breakdowns are available.

* = unsure about participation

# = 2 wrestlers from the same team listed (I will add additional wrestlers to the rankings at these weights)

-The schools of the incoming freshmen are based off of the previous Yappi thread. Please let me know if any are wrong or have changed.

106-
1. Payton Burgdorf- Firelands (4th state)
2. Gavin Ritter- Wauseon (SQ)
3. Jimmy Balazy- Padua (SQ)
4. Austin McNamara- Ashland
5. Corbin Houdashell- Columbian (5th district)
6. Caleb Hernandez- Napoleon (SQ)
7. Matt Kaufmann- Fairview (6th district)
8. Adam Cook- Madison Comp.

Incoming Freshman:
Gabe Alda – Bellevue (7th middle school state)

I was as surprised as anyone about the impressive state tournament that Payton Burgdorf turned in at the end of the season.
I knew he was good, but I figured that he was a year away from placement. Wrong. He suffered a lopsided 12-2 loss to Ed Suber in his first bout but then reeled off 4 straight consolation wins while finishing 4th.
Burgdorf’s second win was a 6-0 shutout of Ritter who had defeated him 7-3 in the district finals the week before. He toughed out a 3-2 win over a very good Trey Finnearty and then knocked off Christian Wayt 7-5 in overtime a few bouts after Wayt had beaten Tanner Jordan in the quarterfinals.

113-
1. Clayton Eagle- Ashland (6th district 2016)
2. Nolan Ray- Wauseon
3. David Ocasio- Brookside
4. Connor Eckman- Firelands
5. Jordan Holt- Perkins (6th district)
6. Connor McCarty- Bay
7. Brock Sautter- Maumee*
8. Mike Tusick- Padua

Eagle missed the majority of last season with an injury, but he did post a 6-2 dual meet win over state qualifier Brian Shaw while wrestling up at 120.
The prior season, Eagle posted wins over Jake White, Deshea Pettiford, Conor McCrone, Collin Yinger, and Thane Kaufman, all of whom have since either placed or qualified for the state tournament.

120-
1. Jarrett Bischoff- Wauseon (6th state)
2. Brian Shaw- Padua (SQ)
3. Andrew Branson- Columbian (SQ)
4. Logan Schoen- Perkins (5th district)
5. Luke Beach- Wapakoneta (6th district)
6. Zane Hull- Napoleon
7. Brayzin McDaniel- Upper Sandusky
8. Cohen Robinson- Ashland

Wauseon got half of their starting line-up to the state tournament last year (5 placers), and I think Bischoff was the wrestler who I was most surprised and impressed by.
Only a freshman, he reached the state semifinals, placing 6th in a very experienced field. After majoring a tough Seth Taylor 14-6 in his first bout, Bischoff knocked off returning state placer Dalton Burcher 4-2 in the quarterfinals. This came a bout after Burcher had pinned 4th place finisher Hunter Ryan.

126-
1. Caden Blust- Columbian (8th state)
2. Gabe Steyer- Van Wert (5th district)
3. Michael Clark- Buckeye (SQ)
4. Alex Slattman- Wauseon (5th district 2016)
5. Tim Tusick- Padua
6. Sam Fender- Padua (6th district)#
7. Max Rassman- Van Wert#
8. Muhammed Mahdi- Toledo C.C.
(9.) Jimmy Pelland- Napoleon
(10.) Brad Silliman- Madison Comp.

Blust will be one of the leaders of a young, quality Columbian team. Already a 2x state qualifier, he claimed his first state medal in 2017 after an excellent season.
Blust defeated state placer Drew Crabtree in the finals at Avon Lake, bested state qualifier Derek Dolph in the finals at Columbian, downed 2x state placer Matt Taylor to win a title at the Gorman, and pinned Gabe Steyer to reach the district semifinals.
At the state tournament, Blust posted a second victory over Dolph (4-2) and defeated 2x district champ Maxx Peters (7-2) to claim a spot on the podium.

132-
1. Hunter Yackee- Wauseon (3rd state)
2. Sam LoFaso- Padua (5th district, 6th district 2016)
3. Angel Granados- Napoleon (6th district, SQ 2016)
4. Jake Bartinelli- Buckeye (SQ 2016)
5. Jake Visintine- Ashland
6. Kaedan Hatlay- Columbian
7. Brody Stallings- Cloverleaf
8. Kalin Zuchowsky- Holy Name

After two previous trips to the state tournament Yackee punched through the placement round in a big way, finishing 3rd behind only 3x state champ Mitch Moore and 2x state finalist Ben Pasiuk.
It was the payoff at the end of an excellent overall junior season.
After winning titles at the Maumee Bay Classic and NWOAL tournaments where he beat state qualifier Trevor Scherf (3-2) and Gavin Grime (2-1) in the respective finals, Yackee added tournament titles at the sectional and district tournaments, beating state placers Leconte Merrell and Drew Crabtree in the semis and finals of the latter event.
His only loss at the state tournament was by decision to Moore, and he followed it up with a pin over Jayden Hefner in the consolation semis and a 5-1 win over Luke Wymer to end the year.

138-
1. Timothy Grunden- Defiance (2nd, 3rd state)
2. Landon Plank- Ashland (SQ)
3. Mauricio Barajas- Wauseon (6th district, SQ 2015)
4. Mason Haas- Maumee (5th district)
5. John McNulty-Padua
6. Chas Jackson- Brookside*
7. Brad Beemer- Wapakoneta
8. Isaiah Bretz- Van Wert

After placing 3rd at 145 in 2016, Grunden cut down to 138 this past season and was rewarded with placement at the Ironman and his first state finals appearance.
He majored Barajas 13-5 in the sectional finals and then claimed his first district title a week later, besting state placer Carson Speelman 7-3 in the finals.
Grunden reach the semifinals after beating Parkar Utley 16-5 in the opening round and Dakota Bunting 7-1 in the quarters. Here, he toughed out a 3-1 sudden victory triumph over Anthony Rice to reach his first state championship bout.

145-
1. Sandro Ramirez- Wauseon (2nd, 2nd, 3rd state)
2. Collin Mell- Bath (SQ)
3. Calvin Brown- Elida (SQ)
4. Derick Coleman- Clyde (5th district)
5. Justin Schneider- Maumee (6th district)
6. Joey Simcoe- Columbian
7. Nick Smythe- Bellevue
8. Dillon Barry- Bay

Incoming Freshman:
Justin Mayes – Bellevue (2nd middle school state)

Ramirez capped of a great junior season with his second state finals appearance in as many years.
He finished 2nd to 2x state champ Freeman at both Brecksville and the state tournament, beating 3x state placer and Ohio State commit Jashon Hubbard 1-0 in the semis of the latter event.
Ramirez also posted a very impressive come from behind 4-3 win over the excellent Carson Kharchilava in the Brecksville semifinals.

152-
1. Xavier Torres- Wauseon (SQ)
2. Caleb Cass- Cloverleaf (6th state)
3. Lucas Salmon- Perkins (5th district)
4. Zach Altman- Napoleon (6th district 2016)
5. Nick Jackson- Bowling Green
6. Izaiah Salinas-Diaz- Defiance
7. Alex Matos- Vermillion*
8. Doug Brown- Buckeye

Incoming Freshmen:
Jasharein Holliday – Huron (5th middle school state)
Ethan Phillips– Norwalk (7th middle school state)

Cass closed out an excellent season with an even better ending, placing at state in his first trip. He was defeated by Torres in a lopsided 19-9 district semifinal bout but rebounded with two wins including a 6-4 victory over state placer Garrett Coe to place 3rd. The win over Coe avenged two previous losses and set Cass up with a first round bout against Billy Wickline. He won the bout 4-3 to reach the state quarterfinals.
Coincidentally, all 3 of Cass’s victories at the state tournament were by a score of 4-3. The other 2 wins were over district champ Brandon Daniels in the blood round to earn placement and over 2x state placer Jake Henderson in the consolation quarterfinals.

160-
1. Noah Clary- Upper Sandusky (SQ)
2. Brahm Ginter- Shelby (7th state)
3. Ethan Hernandez- Norwalk (SQ)
4. Cory Stallings- Cloverleaf (5th district)
5. Jarrod Setliff- Buckeye
6. Matt Abraham- Padua
7. Alec Montgomery- Clyde
8. Trevor Boyd- Vermillion

Clary fell in the blood round of the state tournament for a second straight season, this time to the wrestlers who finished 2nd and 4th (Poullas and Moore) by decision (9-5 and 2-1).
He’ll be on the podium in 2018, and he may just make an appearance in the state finals.
Among his quality wins last season were wins over Hernandez (8-5) and Ginter (2:31) who both return at this weight.
Clary also majored state placer Luciano Mendicino (15-4), pinned state placer Tyler Speelman, defeated state finalist Josh Doherty (14-11), and pinned state placer Ben Davenport last season.

170-
1. Adalberto Vega- Defiance (5th district)
2. Trent Davis- Wauseon
3. Gabe Phillips- Norwalk
4. Bryce Hart- Cloverleaf
5. Mitchell Dewitt- Upper Sandusky
6. Trevor Bowman- Shelby
7. Austin Willard- Padua
8. Brycen Light- Ashland

Vega finished a bout shy of the state tournament as a sophomore, falling 4-2 in OT to state placer Alex Andrews in the go-to-state bout.
He closed out his season with a 3-0 shutout of senior Zach Sanger in the state alternate bout.

Davis will be another wrestler to keep an eye on around this weight. He fell to Sanger in the consolation rounds at the district tournament but also posted a 6-2 win over Vega at the sectional tournament the prior week.

182-
1. Matthew Cover- Bay (SQ)
2. Justin Ocheltree- Keystone (SQ)
3. Sam Hunter- Sandusky
4. Austin Giesige- St. Mary’s Memorial
5. Tyler Miller- St. Mary’s Memorial#
6. Noah Pasquinelli- Maumee
7. Alec Maloney- Norwalk
8. Evan Kaeck- Wapakoneta
(9.) Sam McNulty- Perkins

Cover earned his first district title as a sophomore last season, pinning Hunter in the quarterfinals and teching a tough Noah Frey 15-0 in the semis.
The prior week, he bested Ocheltree 4-0 in the sectional finals to claim the crown, his second shutout victory over Ocheltree on the season.
Cover started the year up at 195 where he placed 5th at Medina beating D-1 state placer Stephen Deluse 3-0 in their finals bout.

195-
1. Josh Bever- Ashland (7th state)
2. Tyler Bath- Vermillion (SQ)
3. David McCullough- Keystone (5th district, 6th district 2016)
4. Noah Arnett- Defiance
5. Zac Miller- Wapakoneta
6. Quay Brown- Sandusky
7. Ryan Haas- Maumee
8. Noah Eikenberry- Kenton

Bever earned his first state medal this past season despite only being a sophomore. He strung together an excellent season that saw him place at Brecksville and win titles at the Gorman and the OCC tournaments. Bever defeated district champ Matthew Cover 2-1 at the former event and pinned state qualifier Ashton Spurgeon at the latter.
After placing 1st at sectionals and 3rd at the district tournament, Bever beat seniors Robert Marquez (4-2), Tyler Dohse (5-3), and Jared Fenner (6-2 OT) at the state tournament while placing 7th.

220-
1. Brandon Phillips- Maumee (2nd state)
2. Connor Johnston- Upper Sandusky (5th district, 5th district 2016)
3. Samuel Sosa- Wauseon
4. Eric Adkins- Bath
5. Korey Blosser- Napoleon
6. Jerrell Wells- Sandusky
7. Roland Eckstein- Cloverleaf
8. Dylan Ratliff- Shelby

Incoming Freshman:
Nathan Barnett – Medina Buckeye (2nd middle school state)

Phillips knocked off the 6th, 5th, and 3rd place finishers at the state tournament on his way to a state finals appearance as a junior last season.
Her pinned Austin Norris in the opening round, defeated district champ Zach Baker 5-2 in the quarters and downed 2x state placer Abdullah Silmi 3-2 in overtime in the semis. Phillips had also pinned Silmi the prior week in the district semifinals.
He is firmly entrenched in the state title discussion for the 2018 season in what should be an entertaining 220 weight-class.

285-
1. Demarko Craig- Toledo C.C. (7th state)
2. Sean Lipscomb- Firelands
3. Alex Sosa- Wauseon (5th district)
4. A.J. Adams- Lexington*
5. Bobby Grothjan- (Lima) Shawnee
6. J.D. McCardle- Clearview
7. Kindal Bustillos- Columbian
8. Kris Mange- Clyde

Incoming Freshmen:
Jake Bever – Ashland (3rd middle school state)
Brock Lyons – Elida (8th middle school state)

Craig overcame two previous losses to Lipscomb, pinning the Firelands wrestler in the consolation quarterfinals of the district tournament. He then defeated Max Edgerly 6-2 in the next round to lock up a spot in the state tournament and closed out his tournament with a 3-2 win over Noah Meeker in the consolation finals.
Craig would go 3-2 at the state tournament the next week, pinning Aarin Smoot-Baker and Sam Robinson before defeating Meeker 2-1 in the 7th place final.

Teams:
1. Wauseon
2. Ashland
3. Padua
4. Columbian
5. Defiance
6. Maumee
7. Napoleon
8. Upper Sandusky

The team rankings are based off of the returning wrestlers, and do not yet include incoming freshmen or last year’s reserve wrestlers who may be starting and contributing next season.

Wauseon will be a juggernaut at this district once again in 2018. Bailey and Banister are their only 2 graduates from a team that still has a great deal of youth on it. I have 11 of their wrestlers ranked in the top 4 of their weight-class after removing last year’s seniors. That’s kind of insane for anyone other than St. Edward or Graham, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see this team get double digit state qualifiers.
Aaron Harris is another wrestler who could well become a state qualifier for this team that should walk away with another district title.
If they can land 10+ in the state tournament, it’ll be hard to keep them from a runner-up trophy.

Ashland also returns a great deal of talent. They didn’t have Eagle or McNamara for the post-season last year due to injury, and both wrestlers will be in the mix for state qualification in 2018.
Add in middle school state placer Bever, and they’ll be a solid squad from top to bottom.
Josh Bever has made such impressive strides in 2 short years, and I don’t think a state finals appearance is out of the question in 2018 if he continues to improve at such a rapid weight.

Padua will have a dense line-up from top to bottom, and only Fender and Shaw will be seniors, so expect them to challenge for a trophy in 2019 as well.
I expect Balazy will be a 106 for at least another year given how low he wrestled in middle school. This should place him in the pool of potential state placers at that weight-class.
Tim Tusick returns from an early season injury to add another state caliber performer to an already solid team.
I low-balled LoFaso’s last year, but he was right there with state placers Crabtree (6-4) and Hefner (8-7) at the district tournament finishing as the state alternate after beating returning state qualifier Angel Granados in the quarterfinals.

Columbian is another team like Padua with an impressive pool of underclassmen who will be making noise at this district beyond 2018.
They return 7 wrestlers with district experience who will be underclassmen in 2018. State placer Blust and state qualifier Branson lead a squad that will impress a lot of people next season.
Only a sophomore last season, Blust posted at least 8 wins over wrestlers who either placed or qualified for the state tournament.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baum’s Page and Jake’s Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-17, 07:10 PM
Freshman

allout6 is on a distinguished road
Way to early Wauseon lineup
106-Tristan Barajas
113-Ritter
120-Slattman
126-Ray
132-Bischoff
138-M.Barajas
145- Yackee
152-Ramirez
160-Torres
170-Davis
182-Harris
195-Krall
220-S.Sosa
285-A.Sosa
Old 04-17-17, 10:19 AM
Freshman

alda1113 is on a distinguished road
I'd be surprised is Austin McNamara will go 106. He couldn't make weight for sectionals. Rumor was he was weighing
in the 120's before sectionals.
Old 04-18-17, 09:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alda1113 View Post
I'd be surprised is Austin McNamara will go 106. He couldn't make weight for sectionals. Rumor was he was weighing
in the 120's before sectionals.
-second paragraph
Old 04-18-17, 12:02 PM
Freshman

alda1113 is on a distinguished road
I talked to his uncle at Sectionals. Missed making weight by 1/2 a pound. Had been wrestling 113 at some tourneys before Sectionals. Was hoping to do 113, but he was the only 106 qualifier. Coach made him do 106 mid week and couldn't get down to 108. One of the kids had asked what he started at and mentioned 120's. That's why I mentioned 113. He wrestled well at that weight and was comfortable.
Old 04-18-17, 12:37 PM
All District

Bulldog Wrestling is on a distinguished road
In regard to Mansfield District, discussion of where Ashland kids will be in consideration of weight class is moot. Ashland will be DI - no way their enrollment figure keeps them in DII. Question now is which DI Sectional/District will they be in and how their kids will fare there. Excellent team leaving Mansfield will present opportunities for kids who want to work hard and move up in the district.
Old 04-18-17, 02:51 PM
All American

Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
I am willing to bet Tontogany Otsego will be D-2. Perhaps a couple kids that could be added. Return 2 kids with state experience.
Old 04-18-17, 03:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alda1113 View Post
I talked to his uncle at Sectionals. Missed making weight by 1/2 a pound. Had been wrestling 113 at some tourneys before Sectionals. Was hoping to do 113, but he was the only 106 qualifier. Coach made him do 106 mid week and couldn't get down to 108. One of the kids had asked what he started at and mentioned 120's. That's why I mentioned 113. He wrestled well at that weight and was comfortable.
My mistake. I misunderstood the previous post. That's unfortunate about McNamara missing weight. He'll have a shot at qualification in 2018, even if they end up in D-1.
Old 04-19-17, 03:05 PM
Varsity

Wrestling1 is on a distinguished road
This is my crack at what Columbian's lineup will look like:
106- Nate Cain 9th
113- Corbin Haudeshell 10th State Alternate
120- Evan Keefe- 9th
126- Andrew Branson 11th State Qualifier
132-Caden Blust 11th 8th at state
138- Kaeden Hatley 11th 2-2 at districts
145- AJ Elchert 12th District Qualifier
152- Joey Simcoe 10th 2-2 at districts
160- Dylan Mersch 9th
170- Gabe Reyes 11th District Qualifier
182-Kasean Hatlay 9th 3-2 at JH state
195- Kane Mears- 9th
220- Mike McDole- 9th
HVW- Kindal Bustillos 11th District Qualifier

This is a very difficult lineup to project because of the youth. A lot of these kids could put on a lot of size and won't be able to make some of these cuts.
Something to keep notice of with this team is even though they have a lot of freshmen that will be slotting in next year most of them were first year wrestlers last year in 8th grade and they had a pretty successful season. The growth from their first year to second could be huge and some of them I think could have a big impact next year.
Old 04-21-17, 09:18 AM
Freshman

HotHead99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allout6 View Post
Way to early Wauseon lineup
106-Tristan Barajas
113-Ritter
120-Slattman
126-Ray
132-Bischoff
138-M.Barajas
145- Yackee
152-Ramirez
160-Torres
170-Davis
182-Harris
195-Krall
220-S.Sosa
285-A.Sosa
IMO, If Wauseon sticks to this line up they look to be just as powerful as last years team...if not better. Looks to be a force from 106 through HWT.