Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: #2 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #7 Indiana Pacers
#2 Cleveland Cavaliers 8 80.00%
#7 Indiana Pacers 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-17, 06:50 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB135 View Post
Great insight.

What a wild game though. Hopefully this proves to be the "switch" for the rest of the playoffs. LeBron + shooters is one of the most fun offenses to watch. Very different from the poetry of passing the Warriors display, but man it is a blast. I will say, LeBron doesn't deserve the MVP. It's a regular season award, he coasted for much of it and he doesn't deserve it. He is however the best player in the league. I don't like the "they're winless when he sits!" argument because the Cavs offense is geared around LeBron. Remove him from the equation, yes they are going to lose.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-17, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
What in the world does that have to do with anything? If anything, that just solidifies the case for LBJ. Keeping them afloat with all the injuries. Statistically, he's MVP. The Cavs were winless when he doesn't play. He's been doing this consistently for 14 years. He is the best overall player. And he is DEFINATELY the Most Valuable to the Cavs.
The Most VALUABLE player award SHOULD go to the player that is most valuable to his team. That is what the award is. But it has turned into a statistical and popularity contest.
LBJ has the same problem Brady currently has in football. It's boring to give the same guy the trophy everyone, speaking in terms of MVP. But LeBron coasted through the 2nd half of the season. Really the entire team did. That and the triple double fest out west between Westbrook and Harden are the biggest reasons he won't win MVP.
Old 04-21-17, 07:26 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Awesome second half. Great personnel decisions by Lue.
Old 04-21-17, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Myles Turner is one of the Cav's greatest assets tonight.

Larry Bird has to be losing his damn mind.

I like Lue stcking with what works and keeping Derron Williams, Korver, Shump, Frye and LBJ in the game.
That turned the game around...that and an all-time great display of inside-outside offense and floor leadership by LeBron James. Hopefully, the benching sent a message to Kyrie Irving that will last the rest of this post-season: just because you're having a sub-par night at one end of the floor doesn't excuse you pouting and playing passively at the other end. I like that Lue gave the minutes to the guys willing to scramble around on defense and basically suffocate the Pacers and force Paul George to do it all.
Old 04-21-17, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
If Paul George didn't want out of Indiana already, he likely will after this series. They could very easily be up 2-1 and for the most part he's played great. Last night was the Pacers best shot, they blew it. Cavs end this one over the weekend.
Old 04-21-17, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Great insight.

What a wild game though. Hopefully this proves to be the "switch" for the rest of the playoffs. LeBron + shooters is one of the most fun offenses to watch. Very different from the poetry of passing the Warriors display, but man it is a blast. I will say, LeBron doesn't deserve the MVP. It's a regular season award, he coasted for much of it and he doesn't deserve it. He is however the best player in the league. I don't like the "they're winless when he sits!" argument because the Cavs offense is geared around LeBron. Remove him from the equation, yes they are going to lose.
How many games/minutes has Lebron played with the set(s) of players that roared back and stomped the Pacers in their "pride game"? This was their chance to save face in front of their home crowd. I know you saw how frustrated George was. They were unable to stop it. Lebron did not allow a single basket in a personal defensive match-up in the second half. Not one.

Lebron just makes everyone around him better in a way that really no one since Magic ever has, and he may even do it better.

Can there be any doubt that Lebron is the best player in the NBA ?
Old 04-21-17, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Awesome second half. Great personnel decisions by Lue.
Getting all of those guys 100% emotionally engaged like that may be huge later down the road. Great time to do it.
Old 04-21-17, 07:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
How many games/minutes has Lebron played with the set(s) of players that roared back and stomped the Pacers in their "pride game"? This was their chance to save face in front of their home crowd. I know you saw how frustrated George was. They were unable to stop it. Lebron did not allow a single basket in a personal defensive match-up in the second half. Not one.

Lebron just makes everyone around him better in a way that really no one since Magic ever has, and he may even do it better.

Oh absolutely, on George. He's been pissy with his team's play in the first two games. I didn't catch any of the postgame stuff and I'm sure he didn't do it, but I wouldn't be shocked if McMillan kept PG from talking to media. As ads said, this all but ensures PG is gone unless they can come back and win 4 in a row and make a deep run. Which sucks, before PG broke his leg and Hibbert/West were there, it was a nice little rivalry in the east.
Old 04-21-17, 08:56 AM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
They were a .500 team for the last almost 60% of the season in the Eastern conference. He's not the MVP
The MVP is such a subjective award, I couldn't fault someone for just using the criteria of "who's the best player in the world?" or "who would you pick 1st if you were school yard picking a team?"

In both cases, the answer is Lebron.

I would go with Harden or Westbrook, but just because I use a different set of subjective criteria to determine my pick.
Old 04-21-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

Best player in the NBA, but somehow not MVP because it's not mainstream cool anymore.
Old 04-21-17, 10:10 AM
All American

It's because it's a regular season award. Can't give it to a guy who coasted most of the regular season.
Old 04-21-17, 10:12 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Plus if you say you want the player that means the most to his team to win the award, then I think you have to give it to Westbrook. Without him OKC probably wins 10-20 games. Without Lebron the Cavs would win more than that.

That being said, I do believe Lebron is the best player on the planet.
Old 04-21-17, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
In the Eastern Conference, it all boils down to whichever team has LeBron wins the conference.
Old 04-21-17, 12:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
In the Eastern Conference, it all boils down to whichever team has LeBron wins the conference.
That's really only been the case since 2011. Bronny made it to the ECF only twice from 2003-04 to 2009-10. And only won once in that time span.
Old 04-21-17, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's really only been the case since 2011. Bronny made it to the ECF only twice from 2003-04 to 2009-10. And only won once in that time span.
Yeah I mean he was between the ages of 18-23 during the latter timespan, with his second best player being Mo Williams or Larry Hughes.

It has been LeBron vs. the Western conference for the past seven years now
Old 04-21-17, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's because it's a regular season award. Can't give it to a guy who coasted most of the regular season.
Again...solidifying my point. Statistically, this year was better than his MVP seasons, and he's been doing it 14 years, but he "coasted"?
Old 04-21-17, 01:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Yeah I mean he was between the ages of 18-23 during the latter timespan, with his second best player being Mo Williams or Larry Hughes.

It has been LeBron vs. the Western conference for the past seven years now
Yes, that is true. Not sure how that has any effect on my statement.

Eh. 2012 and 2013 went to game 7.
Old 04-21-17, 01:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Again...solidifying my point. Statistically, this year was better than his MVP seasons, and he's been doing it 14 years, but he "coasted"?
I assume you didn't watch any basketball games? He coasted in half the aspects of basketball, defense. And he coasted badly.

Quick glance at his offensive statistics, he was better in 2012-13.
Old 04-21-17, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I assume you didn't watch any basketball games? He coasted in half the aspects of basketball, defense. And he coasted badly.

Quick glance at his offensive statistics, he was better in 2012-13.
Coast like Russ, or not that bad ?
Old 04-21-17, 01:58 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So it's only been the case for 7 years....got it.
Old 04-21-17, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

Somehow LeBron led teams will (hopefully) be making their 7th straight Finals appearance. LeBron led teams are 20-0 in 1st round games during the past 5+ seasons. The bottom line is that players come and go and have breakout years now and then, but no one in the league has sustained LeBron's level of play for as long as he has. Harden, great year. Westbrook, great year. Leonard, great year. When they maintain those numbers for another decade, then talk to me.
Old 04-21-17, 02:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
So it's only been the case for 7 years....got it.
For half his career, yes.
Old 04-21-17, 02:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Somehow LeBron led teams will (hopefully) be making their 7th straight Finals appearance. LeBron led teams are 20-0 in 1st round games during the past 5+ seasons. The bottom line is that players come and go and have breakout years now and then, but no one in the league has sustained LeBron's level of play for as long as he has. Harden, great year. Westbrook, great year. Leonard, great year. When they maintain those numbers for another decade, then talk to me.
Not sure what that has to do with a single season, regular season award, but okay.
Old 04-21-17, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
It's not a lifetime achievement award Madge. Settle down.
Old 04-21-17, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with a single season, regular season award, but okay.
Because LeBron puts up MVP numbers year in and year out. But he won't get anymore MVPs because it's boring now to give it to him.
Old 04-23-17, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Cavs are a total embarrasment
Your a total embarrasment.
Old 04-23-17, 11:50 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Great.

Another somebody who never passed English class. One doesn't know the rules of punctuation and the other can't spell. Sheesh!
Old 04-23-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
On the other hand, if he had changed his syntax a little and wrote, "Your embarrassment is total," it would have been OK.
Old 04-23-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
On the other hand, if he had changed his syntax a little and wrote, "Your embarrassment is total," it would have been OK.
Except that, while grammatically sound, your sentence is a lie.

1227 the Great has no shame whatsoever. That frequent source of community embarrassment is like the "Typhoid Mary" of embarrassment. He spreads it around while remaining personally unaffected by it.
Old 04-23-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I sure wish they'd get over giving away leads. Seems like every time they get to the point of being "almost comfortable", Kyrie and LeBron try to close it out and the offense completely shuts down.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 04-23-17 at 02:36 PM..