Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-12-17, 06:08 PM
Junior Varsity

warrior12 is on a distinguished road
Springboro Job

I heard today that Holweger resigned. Any thoughts on who the new coach could be and why did he resign?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 08:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Greenandwhite98 is on a distinguished road
Established coach or assistant looking for his first job? A lot of issues there this year, tough place to start a career.
Old 04-13-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

Ballin50 is on a distinguished road
One name that comes to mind for me would be Troy Lewis.
Old 04-13-17, 09:21 AM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
This will be fun to hear, what were the issues?
(Holweger had a winning record every year = did a good job)
Old 04-13-17, 11:59 AM
Junior Varsity

teams with good records can't have issues?

holiday trip for 17-18 season cancelled because of issues last season.
Old 04-13-17, 03:31 PM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
More than likely if you have 4 winning records in a row you have less problems than the average program. Every team will have issues, its called sports..........
Old 04-13-17, 04:25 PM
Junior Varsity

warrior12 is on a distinguished road
Please explain the issues other than injuries... And please stay on topic of who will be in the run for the job and why he resigned
Old 04-14-17, 11:51 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior12 View Post
Please explain the issues other than injuries... And please stay on topic of who will be in the run for the job and why he resigned
Back in November, a couple of coaching buddies of mine told me that he thought this was the best team in Boro history but then he got plagued with injuries. They lose a lot of seniors. I saw my nephew play against them in January and Alter rolled them by 30. Boro was not the same team I saw when they played Moeller in the exhibition game in December.
Old 04-15-17, 05:44 AM
All Region

Yuckmouth is on a distinguished road
Should be an internal candidate that understands the culture of Springboro. Parents and Administration are always the biggest issue for any coach!
Old 04-15-17, 08:58 PM
Freshman

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckmouth View Post
Should be an internal candidate that understands the culture of Springboro. Parents and Administration are always the biggest issue for any coach!
That's probably why it shouldn't be internal.
Need an outsider to come in and not give a crap about PC and just coach 'em up!
Old 04-28-17, 10:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Re-posted today on OHSAA site. Anyone know why?
Old 04-28-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenandwhite98 View Post
Re-posted today on OHSAA site. Anyone know why?
I'd assume the reposting with the note of "position open until filled" means that the initial round of applicants didn't net anybody that they felt was qualified.
Old 04-29-17, 11:22 AM
Varsity

SWOHD3Hoops is on a distinguished road
Interest was there but District issues have left them with no experienced candidates. This could be a bad situation for a good D1 school
Old 05-01-17, 11:56 AM
All Region

deuces dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Back in November, a couple of coaching buddies of mine told me that he thought this was the best team in Boro history but then he got plagued with injuries. They lose a lot of seniors. I saw my nephew play against them in January and Alter rolled them by 30. Boro was not the same team I saw when they played Moeller in the exhibition game in December.
Wow it hard to imagine this past years team being mentioned with the Maverick Morgan team from 2013.
Old 05-02-17, 06:23 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces dad View Post
Wow it hard to imagine this past years team being mentioned with the Maverick Morgan team from 2013.
When healthy this year's team had more depth. Maverick demanded so much attention it made decent players around him have better opportunities. Guards on this year's team way better. But if I had to pick Maverick's team wins he would be too much to handle.
Old 05-02-17, 12:57 PM
Freshman

bbnfan1 is on a distinguished road
in history? not a chance..best teams in boro history were the holtrey teams from 96-06 that produced multiple 20 win seasons, D1 scholarship players, league titles, district titles, etc....Hope they go outside for the new coach, someone who won't give into parents/boosters
Old 05-02-17, 02:12 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnfan1 View Post
in history? not a chance..best teams in boro history were the holtrey teams from 96-06 that produced multiple 20 win seasons, D1 scholarship players, league titles, district titles, etc....Hope they go outside for the new coach, someone who won't give into parents/boosters
I'm with you on 96-06 being the best era for Springboro basketball including D1 signees with the Doliboa brothers and league titles I also remember them having a 20-0 regular season then losing to Belmont in round 1 of the tournament however I don't recall a district title(maybe 1) or multiple 20 win seasons. Can you refresh my memory? Springboro is one of the more solid programs in the area and it's good for Dayton when Springboro is good.
Old 05-02-17, 08:12 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Quote:

When did Holtrey win Districts? I can only remember one, although he was a top seed almost every year. Anybody know the true record?
Old 05-03-17, 07:19 AM
Freshman

bbnfan1 is on a distinguished road
Boro won 2 districts during Holtrey's time, most wins in school history with 330+, 97-99 won 55 consecutive regular season games, 9 league titles from 96-06...pretty gaudy numbers when you think about it, didn't finish in post season most years but elevated program to where it is now...gonna be real interesting to see who they get as new coach
Old 05-03-17, 07:26 AM
Junior Varsity

USAF is on a distinguished road
They need to stop hiring coaches that have kids already in the high school program. Then they stay until their son graduates or a year after they leave. They need someone that wants to be there to coach not to have more daddy ball at the varsity level.
Old 05-03-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

JWC14 is on a distinguished road
Shady

Hollweger has always seemed a bit shady masked by being a nice guy. He was an assistant to Holtrey then left to be the head coach at Lebanon (understandable) then left after one year to go back to Boro to assist Holtrey (seemed a little weird) then quits as Holtreys assistant because he no longer believed in Holtrey's ways of doing things, then stabs Holtrey in the back (with the help of Byrne) and successfully steals his job. All this while Byrne's kid was playing and could barely run, and Hollweger's kid was coming up and couldn't guard a lamp post. It all seems off.
Old 05-04-17, 01:54 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Research Holweger's whole coaching career. He never stayed anywhere, head coach or assistant, for more than a couple of years. He undermined Holtrey, coached his son, then stayed one more year because of the talent. One of the biggest phonies in area coaching in my opinion.
Old 05-05-17, 06:29 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
Can we get back to who we think will get this job?
Old 05-05-17, 09:39 AM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Please....killing the guy as he leaves. No wonder coaches leave. A coach is permitted to place his personal/family life above the "highly lucrative" position of HS basketball coach.
Holtrey coming back? A friend of a friend says he wants to coach again. How's that for inside info!
Old 05-05-17, 12:10 PM
Freshman

boro75 is on a distinguished road
Heard that the job is going to Fairborn Head Coach. Should be announced next week some time. Inside Info!
Old 05-05-17, 09:48 PM
Varsity

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I'm with you on 96-06 being the best era for Springboro basketball including D1 signees with the Doliboa brothers and league titles I also remember them having a 20-0 regular season then losing to Belmont in round 1 of the tournament however I don't recall a district title(maybe 1) or multiple 20 win seasons. Can you refresh my memory? Springboro is one of the more solid programs in the area and it's good for Dayton when Springboro is good.
Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 05-06-17, 12:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
2017-18 Top returning players
6'7",
6'6"
6'5"
6'5"
6'4"
6'2"
Plus Grevey, Kelly

2 were starters and 2 were in the top 7
The future is bright
Old 05-06-17, 04:51 PM
Freshman

Sprinking Sunshine is on a distinguished road
Really?

Quote:
Boro won 2 districts during Holtrey's time, most wins in school history with 330+, 97-99 won 55 consecutive regular season games, 9 league titles from 96-06...pretty gaudy numbers when you think about it, didn't finish in post season most years but elevated program to where it is now...gonna be real interesting to see who they get as new coach
Don't forget those undefeated teams with real Division 1 talent in the Doliboa boys, went down and out to Belmont and a sub .500 team with no one over 6'2" on the roster from Kings. Outstanding coaching job. It also helps when you schedule the easiest possible schedule you can find year in and year out to bolster your coaching stats.

Or watching Maverick Morgan dominate a Withrow team in the first half then not see the ball the second half as we go to the "prevent win offense" trying to stall away the second half by letting our seniors pump threes that clang long and away. Yeah, that's coaching.
Old 05-06-17, 08:37 PM
Junior Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenandwhite98 View Post
Established coach or assistant looking for his first job? A lot of issues there this year, tough place to start a career.
An experienced coach.
Old 05-07-17, 06:42 AM
Freshman

daytonhoops13 is on a distinguished road
been told that the top external candidates interviewed were (in no particular order):

Nathan Chivington (Fairborn Head Coach)
Brett Kopp (Bethel Head Coach)
Kyle Boze (Centerville Varsity Assistant)

They also interviewed the freshman coach, Youker.

Boro has openings in math (Chivington) and intervention (Kopp).