Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-12-17, 12:31 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Still gotta go to that Pit-to-Plate next time I'm down that way.....
Gimme some notice, I'll buy ya a plate.
Old 04-12-17, 12:31 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Calling Montgomery Inn overrated has become the "in" thing to do over the past 3-4 years. I still say it's got the best ribs in the city, and even for those that disagree, you really can't say the ribs aren't good.
It is possible to say with accuracy that the ribs are good (as in adequate), and still say the chain is overrated.

First went there 10 years ago to the one in Cincinnati along the river - was on business travel with my previously-mentioned co-worker who I hang out in bars with while my wife is home.

The moment we got in Cinci she kept saying we were going to dinner at least once at Montgomery Inn while we were there. We finally made it there a few days later, she ordered a full rack with the trimmings, tied on a napkin, and told me not to talk to her for the next hour ....... did you know petite chicks can put it away when they're hungry?

It wasn't a bad meal. I had the BBQ chicken. I remember the place had a classy ambience, fine china, and linen tablecloths - but i didn't think it was nearly the culinary experience my co-worker made it out to be. Nevertheless, she was happy, and happy makes for good co-worker relations.

At least there was some extra sauce on the chicken. If I'm going to have BBQ, there should at least be extra sauce.

Now, Jeff Ruby's Waterfront restaurant - that was NOT over-rated!
Old 04-12-17, 12:35 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
It is possible to say with accuracy that the ribs are good (as in adequate), and still say the chain is overrated.

First went there 10 years ago to the one in Cincinnati along the river - was on business travel with my previously-mentioned co-worker who I hang out in bars with while my wife is home.

The moment we got in Cinci she kept saying we were going to dinner at least once at Montgomery Inn while we were there. We finally made it there a few days later, she ordered a full rack with the trimmings, tied on a napkin, and said not to talk to here for the next hour ....... did you know petite chicks can put it away when they're hungry?

It wasn't a bad meal. I had the BBQ chicken. I remember the place had a classy ambience, fine china, and linen tablecloths - but i thought it wasn't nearly the culinary experience my co-worker made it out to be. At least there was some extra sauce on the chicken. If I'm going to have BBQ, there should at least be extra sauce.

Now, Jeff Ruby's Waterfront restaurant - that was NOT over-rated!
BINGO! And it's hard to beat Ruby's at any location. Their steaks are excellent.
Old 04-12-17, 12:38 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
No way. Eli's has far better ribs. Montgomery sauce is horrible in my opinion. I've only eaten there once years ago and that was enough. Hell, Famous Daves rib sauce is right up there with Montgomery. They made a rep way back when they were kinda the only game in town. Out dated, overrated and just a "tradition" for many that go there. The way BBQ has taken off in the last few years Montgomery doesn't even compare once you've had real ribs.
I've had Eli's.
Old 04-12-17, 12:40 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Calling Montgomery Inn overrated has become the "in" thing to do over the past 3-4 years. I still say it's got the best ribs in the city, and even for those that disagree, you really can't say the ribs aren't good.
Maybe you just overrate it?
Old 04-12-17, 01:14 PM
All American

Maybe I just appropriately rate it as opposed to put it on a pedestal. It's the best ribs in the city IMO, but it's nothing earth shattering. No BBQ place is IMO.
Old 04-12-17, 01:17 PM
Fake coolin' off

Sounds like you overrate it. Sorry.
Old 04-12-17, 01:34 PM
All World

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No way. Eli's has far better ribs. Montgomery sauce is horrible in my opinion. I've only eaten there once years ago and that was enough. Hell, Famous Daves rib sauce is right up there with Montgomery. They made a rep way back when they were kinda the only game in town. Out dated, overrated and just a "tradition" for many that go there. The way BBQ has taken off in the last few years Montgomery doesn't even compare once you've had real ribs.
You're right on Eli's but Montgomery Inn is pretty good IMO
Old 04-12-17, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Sounds like you overrate it. Sorry.
I rate it appropriately IMO.
Old 04-12-17, 01:42 PM
All World

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I rate it appropriately IMO.
If you're not high on BBQ why are you even commenting? Your opinion doesn't hold weight because you think all BBQ is meh
Old 04-12-17, 02:04 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
If you're not high on BBQ why are you even commenting? Your opinion doesn't hold weight because you think all BBQ is meh
Valid point.
Old 04-12-17, 02:14 PM
All American

I don't think all BBQ is "meh," I said no BBQ place is earth-shattering. Either way, I like ribs and my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Whether you like something or not doesn't determine whether you should comment on it either.
Old 04-12-17, 02:34 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I thought Eli's ribs were good. Nothing spectacular. Same with MI.

Barbecue down here in Texas is pretty freaking good.
Old 04-12-17, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
AT&T back when I was trying to get my DSL in order. Finally sent a nastygram to the President and got results. Had an awful experience with Kohl's that their customer service inexplicably could not understand, let alone fix. It finally got fixed after a nastygram to the CEO.
Old 04-13-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Got mugged by a hotel maid. Emm, technically, elevator operator. And it was more hit by a broom repeatedly than an actual mugging. Still, doesn't seem like good customer service to me.
Old 04-13-17, 09:37 PM
Fake coolin' off

Fidelity. Was told to pm trade orders on yappi to their call center guys.
Old 04-13-17, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Got mugged by a hotel maid. Emm, technically, elevator operator. And it was more hit by a broom repeatedly than an actual mugging. Still, doesn't seem like good customer service to me.
Did you provoke her ? Mislead her in any way ? Maybe she thought you were into such things.
Old 04-14-17, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Volkswagen dealership. Bought a brand new Volkswagen vehicle. Within the first nine months, I started hearing the brakes grind and squeal. I took my car into the dealership to have it inspected. They said the breaks were completely fine, and that it was probably just the moisture in the air. Miles on my car: 11,500.

A month later the brake noises are getting worse. I take the car back in telling them something is wrong. They inspect the car and say, "Oh wow, your brakes are in horrible shape. You should have come to us sooner. Your brakes need completely replaced. Your E-brake has been dragging on them ever since you bought your vehicle." Miles on my car: 12,500.

Warranty on brakes: 12,000 miles

I made a pleasant call to corporate VW, who made sure I did not pay for my brakes. And I never went back to that dealership again.
Old 04-14-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Here's an email from 2011 that I sent to Bob DiBiasio, the Senior Vice President of Public Affairs for the Cleveland Indians:

Subject: Terrible Ticket Experience
Quote:
Hi Bob,
Today I was telling someone about a recent experience I had at an Indians game, and they gave me your name to contact, hoping to reconcile the issue and make it right. Here is what my girlfriend and I went through last night, April 15th:

My girlfriend and I were at the Tribe's game against the Orioles on Friday, April 15th, and I was also in charge of ordering 25 tickets for my group from work for a game we plan to attend Saturday, May 21st, which is free Choo jersey day and the Battle of Ohio against the Reds. So, my girlfriend and I were going to get everyone's tickets last night while we were there near a team shop. Anyway, it sounded much easier than it ended up being.

We got to the stadium around 6:20 PM for the 7:05 PM start. We decided to get the May 21st tickets before last night's game since we had plenty of time, so we went to the team shop to order tickets just like I was told to do on the phone and when I went into the Summit Mall team shop earlier this week. The tickets I was ordering for May 21st were the all-you-can-eat seats, which are normally $32 each but are $28 each if you get 25 people or more, which is what we had. We got to the team shop, asked for the tickets, and the gentleman rung me up for $800. It was supposed to be $700 ($4 off x 25 tickets), so I questioned the price. The worker was unaware of the deal, so we had to show him the deal in our Indians program. He said "Oh, that's a 'Group Sales' deal. I can't do that here. You have to go to Fan Services." So he called Fans Services on the phone and explained to them our situation, and he turned to us and said, "Yes, you can go to Fan Services behind home plate, and they will take care of you."

At this point, we still had about 20 minutes until the first pitch, and we had just heard from the gentleman what section, rows, and seats were available for us, so we got in line at the Fan Services window hoping to quickly, easily order the tickets. When we got up to the lady, we attempted to order the tickets, and again it came out to the $800 price. I told her about the deal, again had to show proof of the price break in the program, and she said "Oh, that's 'Group Sales'. You need to go to the outside window of Fan Services around the corner here," and pointed to a window 5 feet from where she was standing, literally working back-to-back with the person at the other window. I explained how the man at the team shop had just called down and discussed this, but she didn't seem to care. So, we obliged and got in the other Fan Services line (we were only 3rd in that line after taking the 5 steps to the new line of the separate window).

WE DID NOT GET UP TO THE WINDOW UNTIL THE TOP OF THE 3RD INNING! The lady behind the window took forever for the person in front of us, so
we figured it was just because of a confusing issue. But we, on the other hand, knew exactly what section, rows, and seats we were ordering since we had already gone through it twice... so we were confident it'd be quick. Yeah right. We told her all our info very clearly, and THIS person also rung me up as $800. We showed HER the deal, and she said "Oh, I can't do that. That is for 'Group Sales'." And she said we had to call an 800 number! At this point, we had been in line for a half hour BEFORE the game started, and also for the first 2 1/2 innings, so we were NOT happy. After some arguing and explaining the runaround we had been put through and the time it had wasted, all they could do was direct me back to the OTHER Fan Services window to take my personal information and to have a ticket sales person call me some time no later than this coming MONDAY. At this point we were furious that TWO (if not more) different employees had pointed us to the wrong place to get our tickets, and wasted so much time going through the circus act.

All in all, we missed the 1st pitch, the first 2 complete innings, and the complete top of the 3rd; and we were still walking back to our seats as the Indians put together their first rally to score 4 runs in the bottom of the 3rd. I'm glad my girlfriend was heads-up enough to get in the 40-person-long $1 hot dog line while I waited in the Fan Services line. She had enough time to wait in line and order our hot dogs, and we were able to eat a few hot dogs while we waited to order our tickets the “3rd" time, since the dogs were getting cold and crusty, and were hungry. At least we could very faintly HEAR the game, listening to Tom Hamilton's voice over the ruckus, since no television was in viewing distance of the line. We could hear cheers but didn't know what was happening. (the Indians' rally was beginning)

In the end, we still DID NOT get our tickets ordered. Let me say this again - THREE times they had my tickets up, primed and ready for me to order, but at the incorrect $32 per ticket. All they had to do was read the program which we provided for them, change it from $32 to $28, and we would have been on our way. But we went through the complete CIRCUS and never got our tickets ordered, and now have to wait for a ticket rep to call us to reserve our seats, which they could not hold for us. The game for which we were trying to order tickets is on a Saturday, when we get free Choo jerseys, and it's the Battle of Ohio; So, obviously every day that ticks by without us getting our tickets is crucial. The name of the lady at the Fan Services window that incorrectly sent me to the other Fan Services window was Jessica Giacobbe (she gave me her business card), and the lady who was taking forever at the 2nd Fan Services window had a name tag of Kathy, who kept asking people around her about the issue with the person in front of us in line and also for our issue, as well. Kathy finally directed us back to Jessica's window. Jessica said all she could do was write down our information. She offered to give us tickets to a "Super Value" game within the next month for the same type of seat we had last night (Lower Reserve). We thought this was a very poor attempt to clean up the issue since not only did we miss the most crucial parts of last night's game waiting in line, but we're also forced to wait until who know's when to be able to order our tickets when the Ticket Services rep calls us. The seats we had lined up to order 3 times last night were the following: Section 551 (all-you-can-eat), Row Q Seats 1-13, Row R Seats 1-12 (25 total).

We are hoping there is something you can do to make this situation right. I know I, my girlfriend, and the others whom I represented will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
I'll just say Bob was very generous in resolving the issue.
Old 04-14-17, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Here's an email from 2011 that I sent to Bob DiBiasio, the Senior Vice President of Public Affairs for the Cleveland Indians:

Subject: Terrible Ticket Experience

I'll just say Bob was very generous in resolving the issue.
Perfect closing -

Quote:
We are hoping there is something you can do to make this situation right. I know I, my girlfriend, and the others whom I represented will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 04-17-17, 03:18 PM
All World

St.X fan2
MI discussion earlier in the thread

The pork chops at Montgomery Inn are excellent in my opinion.
Old 04-17-17, 03:25 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Agreed.
Old 04-17-17, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Volkswagen dealership. Bought a brand new Volkswagen vehicle. Within the first nine months, I started hearing the brakes grind and squeal. I took my car into the dealership to have it inspected. They said the breaks were completely fine, and that it was probably just the moisture in the air. Miles on my car: 11,500.

A month later the brake noises are getting worse. I take the car back in telling them something is wrong. They inspect the car and say, "Oh wow, your brakes are in horrible shape. You should have come to us sooner. Your brakes need completely replaced. Your E-brake has been dragging on them ever since you bought your vehicle." Miles on my car: 12,500.

Warranty on brakes: 12,000 miles

I made a pleasant call to corporate VW, who made sure I did not pay for my brakes. And I never went back to that dealership again.
I had a very similar experience, also with a German car. Warranty/dealer three times with all the excuses you gave. They were particularly bad when heated. When I got the "terrible shape," I went to the AAA and haven't had a problem with theirs in 40,000. Brake better too.

Must be one of those known scams I didn't know about.
Old 04-18-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Just had an interesting customer-service experience with a DirectTV technician. I didn't have any problems yesterday speaking with the phone rep about the intermittent outages I was having, but the technician who showed up was a different matter.

The guy showed up an hour ago, saying "DirectTV" in a thick Russian accent, holding up his ID. Then he says "My name Bussscch". I said, "Bush"? He said, "Yuss. Dorge Bussscch". I smiled politely, groaning at the same time.

Dude couldn't understand much of what I said to him, but he sure spoke "Satellite Dish Repair-ese" pretty well.

A bit lazy, also. He ran the diagnostics on the TV/receiver inside first, then had him show me the dish location on the far back corner of our roof. We get out there, he looks up at the roof, and says, "Have latter? For climb?" I'm laughing as I get my ladder from the garage nearby. He indicated he didn't want to walk all the way back to his truck for his ladder.

He tightened everything up, double-checked the connections, did some re-setting on the receiver inside, and I was good to go. As he was leaving, he pointed to his head and said, "No forget - latter!", and pointed vaguely to the back of the house.

One of the stranger home visits I've had, but it got the job done.
Old 04-19-17, 07:34 AM
All Yappi

^^ That's funny!
Old 04-19-17, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Just had an interesting customer-service experience with a DirectTV technician. I didn't have any problems yesterday speaking with the phone rep about the intermittent outages I was having, but the technician who showed up was a different matter.

The guy showed up an hour ago, saying "DirectTV" in a thick Russian accent, holding up his ID. Then he says "My name Bussscch". I said, "Bush"? He said, "Yuss. Dorge Bussscch". I smiled politely, groaning at the same time.

Dude couldn't understand much of what I said to him, but he sure spoke "Satellite Dish Repair-ese" pretty well.

A bit lazy, also. He ran the diagnostics on the TV/receiver inside first, then had him show me the dish location on the far back corner of our roof. We get out there, he looks up at the roof, and says, "Have latter? For climb?" I'm laughing as I get my ladder from the garage nearby. He indicated he didn't want to walk all the way back to his truck for his ladder.

He tightened everything up, double-checked the connections, did some re-setting on the receiver inside, and I was good to go. As he was leaving, he pointed to his head and said, "No forget - latter!", and pointed vaguely to the back of the house.

One of the stranger home visits I've had, but it got the job done.
Mr Bussssch needed the new name to stay in the industry, after that Cable Boy incident...

I wonder what name and # is on his jobber's 1099 from DirecTV ?
Old 04-19-17, 10:36 AM
All American

I had an awful experience with Cincy Bell internet that lasted for about 3 months. I probably spent 20 hours over the course of that time trying to get the internet to work consistently and they just could not figure it out. Had to drop them.
Old 04-19-17, 11:24 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I had an awful experience with Cincy Bell internet that lasted for about 3 months. I probably spent 20 hours over the course of that time trying to get the internet to work consistently and they just could not figure it out. Had to drop them.
Same, but I didn't waste 3 months, dumped them after a month.
Old 04-19-17, 11:30 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Montgomery Inn is so overrated.
I agree!

Service at both the original and The Boathouse sucks.
Old 04-19-17, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
I agree!
I know I'm gonna end up going back eventually, though. Someone has always heard the hype that has never been there, and the visit is on their minds before they even head down that way.

Do you agree with turpin and the other guy about the pork chops being good ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: