Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-09-17, 02:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Mythbusters fire soccer ball at 50mph out of cannon on truck driving 50mph opposite

Always figured this is what would happen...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-17, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
no distortion of the ball.

No net force imparted. Physics says, vectors add to zero but all the same, I think "fired" is a bit misleading. Not impulsive application of force, I'd be thinking more a gradual "push." It was relativistically dropped. Be interesting to see the schematics of the cannon. Looks to be about 6 feet? Still a reasonable acceleration to not result in any distortion. I think that's the part that surprises me.
Old 04-09-17, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
no distortion of the ball.

No net force imparted. Physics says, vectors add to zero but all the same, I think "fired" is a bit misleading. Not impulsive application of force, I'd be thinking more a gradual "push." It was relativistically dropped. Be interesting to see the schematics of the cannon. Looks to be about 6 feet? Still a reasonable acceleration to not result in any distortion. I think that's the part that surprises me.
It's only 50mph

Any spring- or pneumatic-driven hemispherical "shoe" should easily and accurately be able to achieve that^ over 6' with a 50 mph muzzle velocity after a little tweaking. The ball may be over-inflated as well. Not sure what you're trying to say.......
Old 04-09-17, 05:50 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Nice.

Reminds me of those wonderful Bell Lab series movies they use to show us in elementary school. The one on the weather showed two kids on a merry-go-round with the camera locked on MGR behind one kid - he tries to throw a ball to the kid on the other side, and the ball appears to curve away from the other kid, even though it was thrown in a straight line relative to some one watching on the ground.
Old 04-09-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

"It's only 50mph"

Made no comment on whether it was difficult to "achieve." My comment was on the lack of distortion and the wording "fired," which implies a very non-constant acceleration. R.I.F.

1 g acceleration is a change in velocity of about 22 mph over an entire second. Presuming that tube about 5 ft and a least damaging constant acceleration, (average speed of 25mph), the ball changed velocity 50 mph in about .14 seconds or about 360mph in 1 second or about 16g. If it were "fired" the g-force would have been much higher than even that. Tough I would think to apply that kind of force without distorting almost anything, let alone a ball filled with air.

So yes, I was surprised the ball was not significantly distorted. Obviously, it isn't. So obviously there's an explanation someone will probably google and pretend they came up with themselves (their usual MO, though it would be interesting all the same) but that's all I referred to. No mention of whether the speed was obtainable or not.
Old 04-09-17, 08:07 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Always figured this is what would happen...

[IMG]IMG]
Agreed. It's physics.

Did you also know that if you released a bullet out of your hand at the exact same time you shoot the gun with the other hand, firing the same round and firing on a level plane they both hit the ground at the exact same time.
Old 04-09-17, 08:08 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
"It's only 50mph"

Made no comment on whether it was difficult to "achieve." My comment was on the lack of distortion and the wording "fired," which implies a very non-constant acceleration. R.I.F.

1 g acceleration is a change in velocity of about 22 mph over an entire second. Presuming that tube about 5 ft and a least damaging constant acceleration, (average speed of 25mph), the ball changed velocity 50 mph in about .14 seconds or about 360mph in 1 second or about 16g. If it were "fired" the g-force would have been much higher than even that. Tough I would think to apply that kind of force without distorting almost anything, let alone a ball filled with air.

So yes, I was surprised the ball was not significantly distorted. Obviously, it isn't. So obviously there's an explanation someone will probably google and pretend they came up with themselves (their usual MO, though it would be interesting all the same) but that's all I referred to. No mention of whether the speed was obtainable or not.
All that matters is the exit speed.
Old 04-09-17, 08:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Did you also know that if you released a bullet out of your hand at the exact same time you shoot the gun with the other hand, firing the same round and firing on a level plane they both hit the ground at the exact same time.

Thanks to "Seven Ideas That Shook The Universe", I did know that. I'm sure a few other Kent State Alumni on here have taken that course too. Still my favorite class during college.
Old 04-09-17, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
"It's only 50mph"

Made no comment on whether it was difficult to "achieve." {Nor did I. Your assumption as to the reason for my comment is a fail} My comment was on the lack of distortion and the wording "fired," which implies a very non-constant acceleration. R.I.F. {C.E.Y. -
Comprehension Escapes You}

Given the relatively low speed, 50 mph, and the means I described (chiefly a hemispherical shoe that mirrors the shape of the ball), perhaps the simplest and most logical choices, the fact that the ball was not distended or distorted should surprise no thoughtful person. Apparently, you don't qualify, because I think you've overthought it in the wrong direction yet again.

And for your edification, on those occasions in which I "google" something, I typically include a link for the skeptics. You've made multiple comments about people googling info that would seem heretofore unknown to yourself, as if it somehow diminishes your feelings of inferiority. People plainly know different stuff - like the fact that some sports balls that typically were once solely filled with air now have a "nerf" core and a cheaper hide. Schools favor them for phys. ed. classes. They are cheap and don't go flat.

Maybe you could "google" what kind of ball they used ?

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 04-10-17 at 06:33 AM. Reason: They are cheap and don't go flat.
Old 04-09-17, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Agreed. It's physics.

I remember my dad telling me that while we were shooting one time when I was a kid. I didn't believe him.
Old 04-09-17, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He's talking about the fact that the ball isn't "egged".

If that ball was struck by a kick to achieve 50mph, or if a plunger only 4" wide "punched" the ball to drive it out, it would "egg".
Old 04-10-17, 06:14 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed. It's physics.

Our physics teacher in high school had a cool device she used to demonstrate that principal- an electro-magnet wired to a pea-shooter 15 feet away. She would hang a small metal object on the magnet, we'd press the trigger on the shooter, and a sensor at the end of the barrel would turn off the magnet and drop the object when the pea left the barrel.

We could hit that falling metal object 9 times out of 10. We had fun in physics class.
Old 04-10-17, 06:40 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He's talking about the fact that the ball isn't "egged".

If that ball was struck by a kick to achieve 50mph, or if a plunger only 4" wide "punched" the ball to drive it out, it would "egg".
Agreed, or if it was made out more than one material. Solid center, wrapped middle, thin cover.
Old 04-10-17, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
as far as the ball dropping.

I see you've worked out what I was getting at as far as deformation. That's force and momentum.

Someone mentioned a "kick." That would be a heavily non-constant acceleration and (I looked it up) considerably more that 16 g. So that deformation not unexpected.

As others have mentioned, if the "firing mechanism" cradled the ball.... but I'd still like to see if it wasn't that, but something I'm missing in the physics. I'd like to see the schematics of the cannon.

Thought experiment: sitting in the back of the truck and you punch the ball. Even if it doesn't achieve 50mph, it will deform. Has to be the distribution of the forces. I'm guessing "air cannon?" eh, even that I'd think would indent the ball on the pressure side, regardless the tolerances of the fit.

Yeah, can't get it to work in my head.
Old 04-10-17, 05:50 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
as far as the ball dropping.

I see you've worked out what I was getting at as far as deformation. That's force and momentum.

Someone mentioned a "kick." That would be a heavily non-constant acceleration and (I looked it up) considerably more that 16 g. So that deformation not unexpected.

As others have mentioned, if the "firing mechanism" cradled the ball.... but I'd still like to see if it wasn't that, but something I'm missing in the physics. I'd like to see the schematics of the cannon.

Thought experiment: sitting in the back of the truck and you punch the ball. Even if it doesn't achieve 50mph, it will deform. Has to be the distribution of the forces. I'm guessing "air cannon?" eh, even that I'd think would indent the ball on the pressure side, regardless the tolerances of the fit.

Yeah, can't get it to work in my head.
The reason you see a deformation in a baseball or golf ball is because it's made that way. Could imagine if they didn't deform? They wouldn't travel nearly as far. Some materials just won't deform and if they deform even a little they break apart. Maybe steel will deform outside the barrel of a cannon, the cannon barrel itself probably keeps projectiles from deforming, especially if it has rifling.
Old 04-10-17, 08:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The reason you see a deformation in a baseball or golf ball is because it's made that way. Could imagine if they didn't deform? They wouldn't travel nearly as far. Some materials just won't deform and if they deform even a little they break apart. Maybe steel will deform outside the barrel of a cannon, the cannon barrel itself probably keeps projectiles from deforming, especially if it has rifling.
That's probably it.
Old 04-11-17, 07:11 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Old 04-13-17, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
5 will get you 10 that they used a new (no holes) bowling ball...
and compressed air or CO2 as a propellant, thus no discernable
deformation of the ball.

P.S. check the limited bounce.

:>---

This message posted from USMC / Marine Corps Air Station Yuma
Old 04-13-17, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

I usually bet donuts in such matters. You're gonna owe me 2, I think. I haven't watched yet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: