Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-17, 07:06 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh nah, not impossible, but every 10 years or so , 3 or 4 kids will go bigtime college football.UH what you "Mactosis" guys cant understand is the sheer numerical odds of someone from a D5 or D6 school going bigtime. St X has 90 kids on their freshmen team. D1 teams have twice as many kids on their varsity as D5 and D6 teams. Uh you are right 160 LBS in the bigtime would have no chance. The MAC is the best small school league in the state. Would they have any chance against the Powers in the state ? Uh no and *ell no.
So, the percentages are about the same? I wouldn't compare a large DI private or top public, with lots of transfers to a more locally remote D5 or D6 but MAC teams easily compare with most schools. Probably beats them. You can go to any city or suburban league and maybe find only a couple in the whole league to get DI offers, let alone each large school.

I think the millions coaches are paid makes them pretty motivated to find the talent, recognized by recruiting services or not. This is particularly so with MidAM schools, with coaches looking to move up to P5. They know they're competing with B12 and that they have to find kids with potential who maybe were not in the strongest competitive/coaching environment for development, but show will and they need to find and recruit kids on the fringe of B12 looking for more playing opportunity.

MAC (college) teams are dotted with unrecruited players who will get NFL invites. Some even make the draft.

Toledo has a great track record of developing QBs and Wrs, linemen and recently Rbs and TEs into the passing game and giving all the recruits a fair shot with a lot of academic choices. It's a great choice for this QB.
Old 04-19-17, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
So, the percentages are about the same? I wouldn't compare a large DI private or top public, with lots of transfers to a more locally remote D5 or D6 but MAC teams easily compare with most schools. Probably beats them. You can go to any city or suburban league and maybe find only a couple in the whole league to get DI offers, let alone each large school.

I think the millions coaches are paid makes them pretty motivated to find the talent, recognized by recruiting services or not. This is particularly so with MidAM schools, with coaches looking to move up to P5. They know they're competing with B12 and that they have to find kids with potential who maybe were not in the strongest competitive/coaching environment for development, but show will and they need to find and recruit kids on the fringe of B12 looking for more playing opportunity.

MAC (college) teams are dotted with unrecruited players who will get NFL invites. Some even make the draft.

Toledo has a great track record of developing QBs and Wrs, linemen and recently Rbs and TEs into the passing game and giving all the recruits a fair shot with a lot of academic choices. It's a great choice for this QB.
Uh the simple facts are, college coaches go by your 40 time , bench press numbers, vertical leap, and your time in a cone drill. Uh size and speed also is a factor, your record in high school means nothing.
Old 04-19-17, 08:24 PM
All Region

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh the simple facts are, college coaches go by your 40 time , bench press numbers, vertical leap, and your time in a cone drill. Uh size and speed also is a factor, your record in high school means nothing.
Tape means as much as measurables.
Old 04-19-17, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Tape means as much as measurables.
He means playing at Coldwater or Marion Local doesn't get you ready for college. Typically D1 level kids transfer to bigger programs. That's why almost every D1 college signees are always from D1-D4 schools. No bad talking The MAC. Athens always has this problem. We just had two basketball players transfer to Pickerington Central. They now play at Michigan and Ole Miss
Old 04-19-17, 09:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
He means playing at Coldwater or Marion Local doesn't get you ready for college. Typically D1 level kids transfer to bigger programs. That's why almost every D1 college signees are always from D1-D4 schools
Someone should tell the coaches at Toledo, Ball State, Tennessee, Ohio State, Notre Dame etc that.
Old 04-19-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Someone should tell the coaches at Toledo, Ball State, Tennessee, Ohio State, Notre Dame etc that.
There are schools in D1-D4 that have more D1 athletes than D5-D7 combined.
Old 04-19-17, 09:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
There are schools in D1-D4 that have more D1 athletes than D5-D7 combined.
Which ones?
Old 04-19-17, 09:42 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He means playing at Coldwater or Marion Local doesn't get you ready for college. Typically D1 level kids transfer to bigger programs. That's why almost every D1 college signees are always from D1-D4 schools. No bad talking The MAC. Athens always has this problem. We just had two basketball players transfer to Pickerington Central. They now play at Michigan and Ole Miss
I'd love to see data on this nationwide. Does almost EVERY Div I athlete ALWAYS come from a bigger school? You realize Toledo, Akron, Ohio University,etc... are Div I schools, right?

So if those two players hadn't transferred to Pickerington Central they would not have been recruited to play at michigan and Ole Miss? A lineman from a Div VII school signed with Ohio State, I think it was last year.
Old 04-20-17, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
I'd love to see data on this nationwide. Does almost EVERY Div I athlete ALWAYS come from a bigger school? You realize Toledo, Akron, Ohio University,etc... are Div I schools, right?

So if those two players hadn't transferred to Pickerington Central they would not have been recruited to play at michigan and Ole Miss? A lineman from a Div VII school signed with Ohio State, I think it was last year.
Uh Icant remember a D7 kid ever signing with OSU. May have happened but I don't remember it.
Old 04-20-17, 03:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Which ones?
Uh Moeller, Elder,ST X,Iggy,ST Eds, Wayne,Colerain,Lassalle,STVinny,Hoban,Col Desales,Trotwood,Mooney,Ursaline,Mentor,Pick Central,Clev Benny,Tol Central,Alter, and probably a dozen or more schools I cant think of.
Old 04-20-17, 03:38 PM
Freshman

ctowner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh Icant remember a D7 kid ever signing with OSU. May have happened but I don't remember it.
The Dickman boy, an OL/DL from ML, signed with Notre Dame. ML was D7 a couple years ago.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowner View Post
The Dickman boy, an OL/DL from ML, signed with Notre Dame. ML was D7 a couple years ago.

Uh Notre Dame , isn't that the OSU Junior Varsity?
Old 04-20-17, 03:45 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Uh Notre Dame , isn't that the OSU Junior Varsity?
D1 is D1. Played for a national title recently. Small school kids can make it to D1 if they have the skills and are well promoted.

Old 04-20-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since D7 didn't exist until 2013, its kind of a silly statement. But Bobby Hoying from St Henry played for the Buckeyes. St Henry was in the smallest division at the time in the state. Now they are just 10-15 kids away from being in D7. Also Todd Boeckman from St. Henry. They there was Ross Homan from CW who is in D6 this year.

Those are just the kids I can think of off the top of my head. There have been others from those schools that went to other D1 programs too.
Old 04-20-17, 04:37 PM
All District

big medicine is on a distinguished road
A couple offensive linemen come to mind who also came from a little school in the MAC.

Both garnered All American status at DI schools (Ohio State, and Penn State), both were first round draft choices, both had Pro Bowl careers, and both retired with Super Bowl rings. Not bad for kids from a small school.

Well done Mr Lachey and Hartings.
Old 04-20-17, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
D1 is D1. Played for a national title recently. Small school kids can make it to D1 if they have the skills and are well promoted.

Uh, nah D1 is not D1. There is a huge difference between OSU and Kent State. Both are D1 but realistically in different time zones.
Old 04-20-17, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
A couple offensive linemen come to mind who also came from a little school in the MAC.

Both garnered All American status at DI schools (Ohio State, and Penn State), both were first round draft choices, both had Pro Bowl careers, and both retired with Super Bowl rings. Not bad for kids from a small school.

Well done Mr Lachey and Hartings.
Uh, all true 40 years ago and hasn't happened since, and will probably never happen again.
Old 04-20-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Since D7 didn't exist until 2013, its kind of a silly statement. But Bobby Hoying from St Henry played for the Buckeyes. St Henry was in the smallest division at the time in the state. Now they are just 10-15 kids away from being in D7. Also Todd Boeckman from St. Henry. They there was Ross Homan from CW who is in D6 this year.

Those are just the kids I can think of off the top of my head. There have been others from those schools that went to other D1 programs too.
Uh as I have said many times, the Mac will have a D1 kid maybe once every 10 years.The GCL south will have 20 D1 kids every season. Its all about numbers .
Old 04-20-17, 04:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Foo...kings?State=OH
Old 04-20-17, 06:24 PM
All Region

Quote:
Uh Moeller, Elder,ST X,Iggy,ST Eds, Wayne,Colerain,Lassalle,STVinny,Hoban,Col Desales,Trotwood,Mooney,Ursaline,Mentor,Pick Central,Clev Benny,Tol Central,Alter, and probably a dozen or more schools I cant think of.
How many kids from DV-DVII signed NLI?
Old 04-20-17, 06:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
Uh as I have said many times, the Mac will have a D1 kid maybe once every 10 years.The GCL south will have 20 D1 kids every season. Its all about numbers .
There were 2 MAC kids signed NLI for DI this year. I guess the league is good for 20 years....
Old 04-20-17, 06:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
Uh, all true 40 years ago and hasn't happened since, and will probably never happen again.
Ross Homan, former Buckeye and NFL veteran graduated from Coldwater. Within the last 40 years....
Old 04-20-17, 06:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
The GCL south has 5 kids going FBS DI according to Maxpreps. The MAC has 2. The ratio of GCL boys to MAC boys is 2.38:1

It would seem as though the MAC sends as many kids FBS DI when prorated for size... and MAC schools aren't recruiting.
Old 04-20-17, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just last year Gavin Cupp a lineman from Leipsic H.S. ( D-7 school ) signed with OSU.
Old 04-20-17, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The name is Dirksen.
Old 04-20-17, 07:28 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Ross Homan, former Buckeye and NFL veteran graduated from Coldwater. Within the last 40 years....
And Keith Wenning, Coldwater QB is currently with the New York Giants.

Old 04-20-17, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was naming kids off the top of my head that went to OSU not everyone that went to a d1 school. Because you said nobody from the small schools went to OSU.

I know it's tough for you but try to keep up.
Old 04-20-17, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The GCL south has 5 kids going FBS DI according to Maxpreps. The MAC has 2. The ratio of GCL boys to MAC boys is 2.38:1

It would seem as though the MAC sends as many kids FBS DI when prorated for size... and MAC schools aren't recruiting.
Wait.....They didn't have 20 as the hose boy claims? You mean he is wrong?

Bottom line is if you're good enough and have the measurables you will be found. Especially if you put effort in to the recruiting process.
Old 04-20-17, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Uh per the GCL website, 13 kids D1 schools and 27 kids total getting some kind of help to play in college.
Old 04-20-17, 07:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
And Keith Wenning, Coldwater QB is currently with the New York Giants.

That was a good era for ball state. Nate Davis was unreal in college (should have stayed another year) and then Keith Wenning kept them winning