Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 10:00 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Let's be above the belt when it comes to issues of life and death.
Let's not. Maybe if Akron's successful families engaged in their community instead of separating themselves from it, Akron wouldn't have more overdose deaths than St. V has D1 recruits.
Old 04-13-17, 10:08 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/306...r-sons-tragedy

Here's the follow up story. I know their family, great people. We've tackled this problem head on, as you do when you have a sense of community. You don't build higher walls, you build a bigger table.
All kidding aside, that is a tragic story about Zach and deserving of a thread of its own as a reminder to all of us how destructive drugs, especially heroin, can be. It's great to see the surviving family channeling their grief in a positive direction in order to help save other families from the same fate. God bless Zach and his family and all those who are fighting this addiction.
Old 04-13-17, 10:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
2. A second date with a female that cannot also be used as a flotation device;
Protip: Calling women "females" is a surefire sign that none of them like you. You can reduce a woman to her reproductive abilities if you want, but its dehumanizing, exclusionary, and shows you're socially handicapped.
Old 04-13-17, 10:20 AM
All American

Quote:
All kidding aside, that is a tragic story about Zach and deserving of a thread of its own as a reminder to all of us how destructive drugs, especially heroin, can be. It's great to see the surviving family channeling their grief in a positive direction in order to help save other families from the same fate. God bless Zach and his family and all those who are fighting this addiction.
Thanks. It really shocked everyone, my younger cousin was in his grade. His death and the response actually helped steer a lot of people in our community away from the stuff. It's why when you try and google heroin dover, his story comes up, and not 395,000 articles with body counts like when you google akron heroin.
Old 04-13-17, 10:21 AM
All Region

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh god, this Journey fellow seems like a miserable person to be around.
Old 04-13-17, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Journey working his magic...

...and people just keep falling into it...
Old 04-13-17, 10:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post

Old 04-13-17, 10:38 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post

LOL, thanks for the heads up
Old 04-13-17, 11:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Protip: Calling women "females" is a surefire sign that none of them like you. You can reduce a woman to her reproductive abilities if you want, but its dehumanizing, exclusionary, and shows you're socially handicapped.
Actually, I used "females" because since you're from Dover, I figured there's a fair to middling chance that your choice of inflatables may not be human.
Old 04-13-17, 11:59 AM
All District

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/306...r-sons-tragedy

Here's the follow up story. I know their family, great people. We've tackled this problem head on, as you do when you have a sense of community. You don't build higher walls, you build a bigger table.
Perhaps you should build a rehab facility for that quaint little town that doesn't have a heroin problem.
Old 04-13-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
Perhaps you should build a rehab facility for that quaint little town that doesn't have a heroin problem.
The family did, if you'd read the link your punches might actually land. Maybe if Akron had the same foresight that Dover's families had, Akron wouldn't have had to spend all that money on the mobile morgues for all the overdose victims. Penny wise, dollar stupid.

But it seems that the "March is for shooting hoops, not heroin" billboard I saw was deemed sufficient by the good people of Akron.
Old 04-13-17, 02:49 PM
All District

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Anybody heard anything about a movie coming out about the St.V-Hoban rivalry? Should be a good one.
Old 04-13-17, 03:31 PM
All American

When did Hoban start playing SVSM? Personally I like my rivalries like I like my religion: the ones that started last Tuesday tend to be pretenders. Dover started playing New Phila a while back.

How close is the series record? Was it even-steven after the first 100 games? Have you played 100 games?

How many times has the league championship been on the line for the season ending game? Has it been 54 times like Dover and Phla? Have you even played 54 times?

What big community events do you guys have to get ready for the game? Do you guys have a huge bonfire or block off the downtown and have ralleys in the alleys? A blood battle that has been going on for decades that has supplied thousands of units of blood?

Do you guys have cops patrolling the demarcation line to stop high school kids from crossing over into the other community during rivalry week? Do you have a rivalry week?

What kind of rotating trophy do you guys have? Is it a baseball bat with all the scores engraved on it from the 50s til now?

I bet with this being a rivalry you need to get your ticket way in advance because they haven't sold tickets at the gate since the 60s, because it's always a sell out like Dover and Phila.

I would love to hear about your rivalry!
Old 04-13-17, 03:50 PM
All American

What a sad little life Journey must have. I feel sorry for him.
Old 04-13-17, 09:17 PM
All District

And does everbody get a Big Orrrrange and watchem throw that punkin up and down that pasture !!!!!
Old 04-14-17, 03:46 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
So much for the popcorm and mints before the Movie.....To state one Rivalry is greater than others could be an endless debate. Ohio is filled with numerous Rivalries some are legendary like Massillon-Canton McKinley, Iggy's vs Ed's, St X vs Elder, Desales vs Watterson, Mooney vs Ursuline, Dover vs New Philly....Ohio is a Football State from Pee Wee to the Pro's. Lake Erie to the Ohio River. I first learned of the New Philly vs Dover rivalry from an old college roommate. A first team All-Ohio (AAA) workhorse for the Quakers. He displayed the Scrapbooks and it was impressive from all accounts. The following year another friend Uncle was Don Nehlen and I was introduced to the Massillon-McKinley Rivalry....it was everything that former Tiger Mike James (Berg) said it was...incredible fanfare and pageantry. It is still one to watch on the last Saturday of the regular season. My brother in law played for Mooney and frowns anytime I wear green at family gatherings. Even though we are the other Fighting Irish LOL. The Hoban vs STVM Rivalry encompasses the entire city since the 1950's that eventually replaced the St. Vincent vs St. Mary backyard battle. Many families have ties to one or both schools and its truly heated. With 8 Boys basketball State Titles (STVM-7 Hoban-1) and 8 Football State Titles (STVM-6 Hoban-2) the game has warranted its billing. In recent years the Division 3 State Titles have gone through Akron Ohio (2012,2013,2015,2016). So the mid season matchup always has a lot riding on the outcome. Although this Rivalry doesn't date back to the 1800's it is still one of Ohio's Finest. The talent of the players is legit and many of these athletes are playing at the next level. In 2017 Hoban will be D2 and STVM will remain D3 with both being favorites to be contenders in their respective divisions. Week 5 will once again have the pageantry complete with MUM Day, Bonfires, and Pep Rally's. After 42 meetings the series is tied 21-21. http://www.stvmfootball.com/hoban.html Many Fans from both sides are looking forward to the finished product- "The Holy War"- The Movie. Ohio is the heart of Football and it is important that "We respect the game" and the Rivalries that create the essences of Ohio High School Football.

Last edited by StarstoShine; 04-14-17 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-14-17, 07:36 AM
All American

Thank you! Finally someone that isn't the usual thin skinned superiority complex coupled with inferior social skills private poster you usually see on these boards.

Does anyone know what the series record is?
Old 04-14-17, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
So much for the popcorm and mints before the Movie.....To state one Rivalry is greater than others could be an endless debate. Ohio is filled with numerous Rivalries some are legendary like Massillon-Canton McKinley, Iggy's vs Ed's, St X vs Elder, Desales vs Watterson, Mooney vs Ursuline, Dover vs New Philly....Ohio is a Football State from Pee Wee to the Pro's. Lake Erie to the Ohio River. I first learned of the New Philly vs Dover rivalry from an old college roommate. A first team All-Ohio (AAA) workhorse for the Quakers. He displayed the Scrapbooks and it was impressive from all accounts. The following year another friend Uncle was Don Nehlen and I was introduced to the Massillon-McKinley Rivalry....it was everything that former Tiger Mike James (Berg) said it was...incredible fanfare and pageantry. It is still one to watch on the last Saturday of the regular season. My brother in law played for Mooney and frowns anytime I wear green at family gatherings. Even though we are the other Fighting Irish LOL. The Hoban vs STVM Rivalry encompasses the entire city since the 1950's that eventually replaced the St. Vincent vs St. Mary backyard battle. Many families have ties to one or both schools and its truly heated. With 8 Boys basketball State Titles (STVM-7 Hoban-1) and 8 Football State Titles (STVM-6 Hoban-2) the game has warranted its billing. In recent years the Division 3 State Titles have gone through Akron Ohio (2012,2013,2015,2016). So the mid season matchup always has a lot riding on the outcome. Although this Rivalry doesn't date back to the 1800's it is still one of Ohio's Finest. The talent of the players is legit and many of these athletes are playing at the next level. In 2017 Hoban will be D2 and STVM will remain D3 with both being favorites to be contenders in their respective divisions. Week 5 will once again have the pageantry complete with MUM Day, Bonfires, and Pep Rally's. After 42 meetings the series is tied 21-21. http://www.stvmfootball.com/hoban.html Many Fans from both sides are looking forward to the finished product- "The Holy War"- The Movie. Ohio is the heart of Football and it is important that "We respect the game" and the Rivalries that create the essences of Ohio High School Football.
The eyes are always the first thing to go Journey!
Old 04-14-17, 11:19 AM
All American

Bahahahaha clearly!
Old 04-14-17, 06:55 PM
All District

Quote:
Very nice, I applaud you.
Old 04-17-17, 09:32 AM
Freshman

McKinley1974 is on a distinguished road
No offense, but the idea that this rivalry even comes close to McKinley-Massillon is laughable. The names to go through Stark County since 1894, the fact that it draws in the whole county and is the only high school game you can bet on in Vegas. I mean not to be Mr. Cliche, but nothing compares. I appreciate and respect the tradition of other schools and the rivalries they are involved in, but they aren't the same. When McKinley and Massillon meet, it's about the tradition, the pep rallies, the parades, the ex-coaches and players coming back to town. I lived in Akron for a bit and it's not the same. No disrespect meant towards the schools or the rivalry, but I just don't think it compares. When was Hoban-St.V printed up in Sports Illustrated (Other than something to do with LeBron James)? I would argue that the old City Series rivalries still meant more than this game in the early 2000s. I think each rivalry has something special to offer, but I do think that rivalries grow better with age. Just my thoughts, always appreciate the opportunity to share my opinion.
Old 04-17-17, 12:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley1974 View Post
No offense, but the idea that this rivalry even comes close to McKinley-Massillon is laughable. The names to go through Stark County since 1894, the fact that it draws in the whole county and is the only high school game you can bet on in Vegas. I mean not to be Mr. Cliche, but nothing compares. I appreciate and respect the tradition of other schools and the rivalries they are involved in, but they aren't the same. When McKinley and Massillon meet, it's about the tradition, the pep rallies, the parades, the ex-coaches and players coming back to town. I lived in Akron for a bit and it's not the same. No disrespect meant towards the schools or the rivalry, but I just don't think it compares. When was Hoban-St.V printed up in Sports Illustrated (Other than something to do with LeBron James)? I would argue that the old City Series rivalries still meant more than this game in the early 2000s. I think each rivalry has something special to offer, but I do think that rivalries grow better with age. Just my thoughts, always appreciate the opportunity to share my opinion.
No offense taken. If I had to pick the #1 high school football rivalry in Ohio, I think I'd pick Massillon/ McKinley as well. But I'm not sure anyone is claiming Hoban/ STVM rivalry is #1. It is an intense rivalry that a guy from Hoban decided to film a documentary about, nothing more. Looks to be entertaining!
Old 04-20-17, 12:23 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No offense taken. If I had to pick the #1 high school football rivalry in Ohio, I think I'd pick Massillon/ McKinley as well. But I'm not sure anyone is claiming Hoban/ STVM rivalry is #1. It is an intense rivalry that a guy from Hoban decided to film a documentary about, nothing more. Looks to be entertaining!
Uh, well, at 0:32 in the attached movie preview video, someone indeed does claim that Hoban-StV is the best football rivalry in the country.

That should be edited out of the film. It is a quite a bit over the top.
Old 04-20-17, 10:45 PM
All District

The biggest and best rivalry in the nation, is the one your team is playing in. It's what makes high school football great. We have 2 high schools in our county, and the week of what is referred to as " The Big Game " comes, it's fantastic. Both towns shut down. There are parades, rallies, pranks, arguments,and bragging rights for the next year. Some of these rivalries have been going on for decades, some not, but all of them are just as important to those involved. This goes on in all 50 states, and may it last forever.
Old 04-22-17, 12:34 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Agreed the Massillon vs McKinley Rivalry is unmatched for tradition. However on Paper the current Talent Hoban and STVM may be 1 and 2 when discussing all of the Teams in Summit & Stark Counties.
Old 04-22-17, 04:10 AM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
The biggest and best rivalry in the nation, is the one your team is playing in. It's what makes high school football great. We have 2 high schools in our county, and the week of what is referred to as " The Big Game " comes, it's fantastic. Both towns shut down. There are parades, rallies, pranks, arguments,and bragging rights for the next year. Some of these rivalries have been going on for decades, some not, but all of them are just as important to those involved. This goes on in all 50 states, and may it last forever.
I agree
Old 04-22-17, 05:52 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed the Massillon vs McKinley Rivalry is unmatched for tradition. However on Paper the current Talent Hoban and STVM may be 1 and 2 when discussing all of the Teams in Summit & Stark Counties.
More people are present at McK/Massillon games. McK/Mass and Eds/Iggy are way bigger games than the Hoban/STVM game.