Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-05-17, 10:47 PM
Varsity

Spreadattack is on a distinguished road
Players shouldn't suffer at all, the adults involved need to be dealt with.
Old 04-06-17, 03:02 PM
All District

hip hop is on a distinguished road
OHSAA veridic is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-17, 04:19 PM
All District

OHSAA Public version, DPS 3 year probation,
$10,000 fine. No death penalty. Behind the close doors Dunbar coaches vindicated!!! Mark Baker guilty of all charges!!! OHSAA uncover major cover up attempts by DPS! More to come.
Old 04-06-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
3 year probation? What does this really mean.... don't do it again or is a post season ban for 3 years?
Old 04-06-17, 04:30 PM
All District

No post season ban, no death penalty!! I'm gathering fact will post soon.
Old 04-06-17, 05:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
DDN Link

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...raFNCDxuti37M/

New so hope this works. Lot of money when you consider fine and the fact there were NO games at Welcome Stadium last year.
Old 04-06-17, 05:58 PM
Varsity

Glad those kids won't suffer! The adults who are responsible should pay the fine
Old 04-06-17, 06:08 PM
All Yappi

so, are those that were involved getting fired or do they just have to take a class and state that they will not do that again.
Old 04-06-17, 07:01 PM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Baker still needs to be fired! Parents of especially Dunbar will still be very mad about this if he keeps his job!
Old 04-06-17, 07:31 PM
All District

Wow....All I can say is things aren’t what they appear to be. I’ve completed reading the DPS investigation / report, it’s a quick read, very simplistic & less than 80 pages. I’m currently reading OHSAA report, its almost 500 pages, they left no rock unturned, very thorough & comprehensive. Pete Pullen & Darran Powell are owed sincere apologies by all who pointed fingers at them. Clearly there has been a rush to judgement. Now that I’m seeing the facts, I am of the belief that Mark Baker & DPS Superintendent and perhaps Board of Education members have to be praying OHSAA investigation / report never see the light of day! Mr. Baker sold a bill of goods to the DPS superintendent not once but several times, before OHSAA confronted him with undeniable physical evidence that he could not longer be refused. For whatever reason the superintendent chose to side with Mr. Baker, throwing Dunbar coaches, both Principals (Belmont & Dunbar) under the bus. This stuff reads like Putin and the Russians are involved. Stay tuned, more to come.
Old 04-06-17, 07:34 PM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
This entire debacle is such an embarrassment for the District. Baker should lose his job just like Pullen.
Old 04-06-17, 07:50 PM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop View Post
Wow....All I can say is things arenít what they appear to be. Iíve completed reading the DPS investigation / report, itís a quick read, very simplistic & less than 80 pages. Iím currently reading OHSAA report, its almost 500 pages, they left no rock unturned, very thorough & comprehensive. Pete Pullen & Darran Powell are owed sincere apologies by all who pointed fingers at them. Clearly there has been a rush to judgement. Now that Iím seeing the facts, I am of the belief that Mark Baker & DPS Superintendent and perhaps Board of Education members have to be praying OHSAA investigation / report never see the light of day! Mr. Baker sold a bill of goods to the DPS superintendent not once but several times, before OHSAA confronted him with undeniable physical evidence that he could not longer be refused. For whatever reason the superintendent chose to side with Mr. Baker, throwing Dunbar coaches, both Principals (Belmont & Dunbar) under the bus. This stuff reads like Putin and the Russians are involved. Stay tuned, more to come.
Link?
Old 04-06-17, 07:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
This entire debacle is such an embarrassment for the District. Baker should lose his job just like Pullen.
Once I make a list of all the contradictions between the DPS & OHSAA investigations, you'll question why in the hell did Pullen resign? OHSAA raised that very question. Why is Mr. Baker still in charge. More to come
Old 04-06-17, 08:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
Link?
No link, you can get these reports by requesting them from DPS & OHSAA
Old 04-06-17, 08:56 PM
Varsity

Baker and the superintendent must be spooning
Old 04-06-17, 09:49 PM
All District

I'm reading this OHSAA report as fast as I can. Here's a nugget it appears Baker honestly believed the Dunbar player was eligible after he re-calulated the grades. But once he discovered he (Baker) made an error in his calulations he started denying he gave permission for the kid to play in the game, throwing Pullen & Dunbar under the bus. Once he started lying he apparently couldn't stop. Stay tuned folks much more to come!
Old 04-07-17, 07:46 AM
Varsity

So where does trying to make two teams get in the playoffs factor in? Or they just assumed that's what he was doing?
Old 04-07-17, 09:17 AM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Summary/5 things to know:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...chyAv5GGkHBlL/

Apparently Dunbar coaches were not retained and they will interview next week. Is Baker doing the interviews?
Old 04-07-17, 10:06 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadattack View Post
So where does trying to make two teams get in the playoffs factor in? Or they just assumed that's what he was doing?
According to OHSAA, Darran Powell, Crystal Phillips, Pete Pullen, Alfred Powell Sr. all verbally testified and the Belmont principal did so in writing that Mr. Baker said Dunbar should lose the game, therefore both teams would make the playoffs.
Old 04-07-17, 12:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Dayton Public School District Receives Sanctions from Football Incident

District receives $10,000 fine, public reprimand and required attendance at upcoming compliance meetings; all DPS schools placed on three years probation

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association has announced the conclusion of an investigation into the Dayton Public School District and subsequent penalties stemming from an incident that occurred during Week 10 of the 2016 football season in a game between Dunbar High School and Belmont High School.

The incident occurred when Dunbar football players received instructions at halftime to lose the game intentionally so that the school would not need to report using an ineligible player and so that an additional Dayton Public School would qualify for the playoffs. Game officials stopped the contest in the third quarter and brought both coaches to midfield, instructing them to tell their players to play the game correctly or risk stoppage of the game and further ramifications.

Sanctions include a $10,000 fine issued to the Dayton Public School District, three years probation for all Dayton Public Schools, public reprimand and the requirement that DPS athletic administrators attend required meetings with the OHSAA compliance staff. In addition, if further violations of the same nature occur while the district is on probation, the membership status of all member Dayton Public Schools is in jeopardy.

“This is among the most serious and disturbing incidents I have seen because it strikes at the very core of what high school sports are all about,” Dr. Dan Ross, OHSAA Commissioner, said. “Our mission is to teach our youngsters about responsibility, fair play and sportsmanship. The vast majority of our coaches and school administrators do that every day. Even more significant penalties were discussed, but we didn’t want to harm the kids because they were the ones caught in the middle of this.”

The incident occurred Oct. 28 at Dayton Welcome Stadium. At halftime, with Dunbar leading by 20 points, Dunbar’s athletic director and football coaches met with Dayton Public Schools Athletic Administrator Mark Baker. While the exact details of that conversation are in conflict, it was proven that when the third quarter began, Dunbar players began to deliberately give the football to Belmont in an effort to lose the game intentionally, as they had been told that a Dunbar loss coupled with a Belmont win would get both teams into the playoffs and Dunbar would not have to report using an ineligible player in that game.

After the officials met with both coaches at midfield, the game was played to its conclusion with no further incidents, but the OHSAA investigation began. It resulted in Dunbar forfeiting its Week 9 and 10 games for using an ineligible player both weeks, thus missing the playoffs, and causing the reshuffling of many playoff qualifiers in Southwest Ohio.

The violation is of OHSAA Bylaw 3 – Administrative Responsibility and Institutional Control, which is in place to uphold the values and integrity of education-based athletics.

If there are no further violations of this nature by the Dayton Public School District, one year of probation shall be rescinded and $2,500 of the fine shall be refunded.
Old 04-07-17, 07:43 PM
All District

Wow...after reading both the DPS and OHSAA reports, i can tell you it obvious DPS, Superintendent Corr and Baker is deep into a cover up. DPS never interviewed several key witnesses who actually turned the case for OHSAA!!!!!! ....stay tuned more to come!!!
Old 04-07-17, 09:06 PM
Varsity

Stitch69 is on a distinguished road
This is not over. Check out the article from Dayton Daily News Sports Apr. 7 updated 7:36 pm. the title is, Dayton Schools, state don't agree on who's to blame in football fiasco.
Old 04-07-17, 09:47 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
This has been an interesting event to follow...a lot of bad and stupid things happened. Based on this info I can see why the OHSAA did what they did...but if I was a taxpayer in Dayton I would be angry that a membership group the schools belong to could force a $10,000 dollar fine. I am pretty sure the tax base of Dayton does not have $10,000 dollars readily available to pay a voluntary membership this amount of money...and also what does the OHSAA do with this money? I think this is a huge overreach by a group now going after tax dollars
Old 04-07-17, 09:48 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch69 View Post
This is not over. Check out the article from Dayton Daily News Sports Apr. 7 updated 7:36 pm. the title is, Dayton Schools, state don't agree on who's to blame in football fiasco.
Wow... I told you, Baker is in serious trouble and is trying to lie his way out. Check out channle 2 news at 11pm Baker grants his first interview tonight.
Old 04-07-17, 09:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
This has been an interesting event to follow...a lot of bad and stupid things happened. Based on this info I can see why the OHSAA did what they did...but if I was a taxpayer in Dayton I would be angry that a membership group the schools belong to could force a $10,000 dollar fine. I am pretty sure the tax base of Dayton does not have $10,000 dollars readily available to pay a voluntary membership this amount of money...and also what does the OHSAA do with this money? I think this is a huge overreach by a group now going after tax dollars
Great point!
Old 04-07-17, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop View Post
Wow... I told you, Baker is in serious trouble and is trying to lie his way out. Check out channle 2 news at 11pm Baker grants his first interview tonight.
I could not keep a straight face while listening to Baker. Seriously dude, it's over..... step down and get out of town.....
Old 04-07-17, 10:35 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I could not keep a straight face while listening to Baker. Seriously dude, it's over..... step down and get out of town.....
Wow...here's a little bit of what Mr. Baker said at the Oct 31, 2016 OHSAA appeal hearing:

Pullen testifies that Mr. Baker personally took the report card of the player in question and tallied up the grades.
Pullens testifies that Mr. Baker tallied the grades a total of 3 times on the report card itself in his handwriting.
Pullen testifies that Mr. Baker said, wait let me call Columbus to double check my answer, so he did. Pullen testifies he overheard parts of the conversation Baker made to Columbus and was under the impression Mr. Baker was talking with an OHSAA official.
Pullen testifies that after a brief period on the phone Mr. Baker circled his final tally and gave Pullen the thumb ups indicating the player was cleared to play. Pullen then went to the field and informed Coach Darran Powell that Mr. Baker had declared the player eligible to play.
Mr. Baker adamantly denies Mr. Pullen version of events. Mr. Baker states he never tallied, configured or calculated any grades to see if the player was remotely eligible. OHSAA ask Mr. Baker, are you certain you didn’t add, tallied, calculate any grades. His response is yes I am sure, it never happens, none of this happens they just made all this up.
OHSAA asked Mr. Baker, did you called Columbus, he says yes, did you talk to someone at OHSAA? Baker no I got a recording, so I left a message. The time Baker gives isn’t consistent with the timeline of the actual events.
OHSAA asked Mr. Baker who was you talking to in Columbus that advised you? It was a mentor, what’s the mentor name. Mr. Baker makes small talk and never provides the name of his mentor.
Old 04-08-17, 06:40 AM
All District

micketty is on a distinguished road
Why was Mark Baker hired as the district AD? It seems that this position would be filled with someone that has a fairly long background in athletic administration. In reading these posts it appears Baker has nowhere near that experience.
Old 04-08-17, 09:26 AM
Junior Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
DDN Link

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...X9gsi2whis3dL/

Today's DDN article in the local section. BOE member said they knew nothing about this (only the ineligible player), obviously they never read a newspaper or watch TV. Really exposes DPS "investigation" for not being much.

2 curious (or devious) questions. If Baker wrote on a grade card copy, what happened to the paper (if I'm AD or coach I'm keeping that puppy as proof) since Baker denies doing that. If meeting took place in Baker's office, aren't there security cameras to at least show meeting took place? Doesn't say much for DPS Security guy who did report either. Crap happens in EVERY district, but this is just.... (I don't know what word it want). Another line from Groundhog Day, "...morons, you're bus is leaving." Apply that any way you want.
Old 04-08-17, 11:06 AM
Varsity

All of this is why I'm still of the belief that more is involved. Think about it the state handed down the slap on the wrist ( especially considering how much the teams who lost out on home playoff games because of the reshuffling it was a small slap) yet it seems the finger pointing is getting worse! The State was smart, they knew the report would take care of the damage for them without them looking like bad guys!