Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-03-17, 07:11 PM
Varsity

Spreadattack is on a distinguished road
because the district ad said he called his people in Columbus and they said the kid was good. They did hold him out
Old 04-03-17, 07:20 PM
Varsity

Belmont had nothing to do with playing the kid. But Dunbar was probably fighting for kid because they were set to go to playoffs that next week. But if Belmont or anyone knew way before the game then that mean they knew the Dunbar kid played ineligible the week before. Why not notify Taft?
Old 04-03-17, 07:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Just Curious

4-4-6 - The primary responsibility for verifying eligibility rests with the receiving school. Eligibility shall be verified by reviewing school records or written verification from the sending school.

Not sure why SpreadAttack only comments are questioning Belmont. By Belmont's Principal notifying Dunbar during the day about the kid (and for all she knew there were circumstances that could have made him eligible) it puts the responsibility back where the OHSAA says it falls, ie. Dunbar, the reporting school.
Re throwing the game and Belmont being a part. First, Coach White first heard of that when the officials called him to the field. Second, a lot of DPS people aren't real fond of Coach White for their perception of him running up the score when he was at Thurgood Marshall.
You have two opposite stories (Baker's and Dunbar's) and a Super who hasn't done anything about it and maybe that is part of the reason the OHSAA is threatening major penalties. I hope not for the sack of the rest of the kids.
Yes, first post, no not Coach White lol
Old 04-03-17, 07:58 PM
Varsity

The kid being played isn't what's being investigated. Its the actions in hours and days leading up to the game as well as other accusations according to article. Ineligible players aren't a new situation, this situation is! I'm just thinking why would DPS not do anything to try to rectify this. They didn't fire Baker yet, nor have they tried to fix this. DPS should've never accepted Belmont playoff spot! They should've let Piqua go to try to ease the blow. Even if that's not the solution there should've been more of an attempt by the district.
Old 04-03-17, 08:10 PM
Varsity

My comments are to question what's being investigated at this point? Why is it just Dunbar fault? If the coaches sat the kid why would they not listen if AD said he could play?

Last edited by Spreadattack; 04-03-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 08:55 PM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
This whole mess within the DPS makes me wonder what all else has gone on there undetected and not reported in the past. It could be these kind of actions were standard procedure in the DPS and they just got unlucky in this case.
Old 04-03-17, 09:19 PM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Mark Baker is guilty, He admitted it in the article and then a couple hours later that quote was removed from the article.

What are his qualifications to be an AD let alone the District AD?

I'm not sure other schools deserve any penalty. I don't know how that would take care of the issue. Sounds like no one else was involved but Dunbar/Mark Baker. Get rid of Baker and fine DPS and be done with it. It is not that hard as an AD to check eligibility. After all I think that would be in your job description as an AD.
Agreed. I think the AD should be fired and Dunbar get the penalty. The other schools are innocent but the Ad and coaches are at fault and should know better
Old 04-04-17, 05:57 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain how the entire league is in trouble for what 2 schools and a guy who shouldn't be an AD anyway done? I mean Stivers who doesn't even have football or girls athletics are in possible trouble because of this. If it happens OHSAA will have fun monitoring these transfers
Old 04-04-17, 06:12 AM
All District

slapnut is on a distinguished road
Surprised a public school would cheat like this......figured they were above this sort of behavior..........
Old 04-04-17, 07:04 AM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Can someone explain how the entire league is in trouble for what 2 schools and a guy who shouldn't be an AD anyway done? I mean Stivers who doesn't even have football or girls athletics are in possible trouble because of this. If it happens OHSAA will have fun monitoring these transfers
2 schools? Last I checked it was all about Mark Baker and Dunbar!
Old 04-04-17, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
2 schools? Last I checked it was all about Mark Baker and Dunbar!
This is from the article

DPS is facing a possible hefty fine and suspension from the OHSAA that could affect all boys and girls sports. A fine would further hinder an urban school district that is financially strapped. There’s also the potential of losing athletes who might transfer.
Old 04-04-17, 09:02 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
This is from the article

DPS is facing a possible hefty fine and suspension from the OHSAA that could affect all boys and girls sports. A fine would further hinder an urban school district that is financially strapped. There’s also the potential of losing athletes who might transfer.
Correct. I just don't see the OHSAA doing that. If they do, shame on them for making kids pay for a non qualified AD (Mark Baker) "mistake".

They better be looking into Wayne, Springfield and Trotwood to make sure all their transfers are legit while they are at it.
Old 04-04-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Correct. I just don't see the OHSAA doing that. If they do, shame on them for making kids pay for a non qualified AD (Mark Baker) "mistake".

They better be looking into Wayne, Springfield and Trotwood to make sure all their transfers are legit while they are at it.
🙄🙄 as well as several other schools in the gwoc
Old 04-04-17, 09:40 AM
Varsity

The article is what make you question who all was involved.
Old 04-04-17, 09:02 PM
Varsity

Stitch69 is on a distinguished road
DPS is to have a school board meeting tonight. Maybe there will be an answer about the investigation.
Old 04-05-17, 11:27 AM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but from an outsider looking in this looks like individuals from two programs involved in fixing a football game. If Baker is the AD for both schools I find it hard to believe individuals from both schools didn't know about it. Both schools should be suspended from playing any sports for one year. Let the athletes from the other sports transfer out to another school if they choose to.
Old 04-05-17, 12:47 PM
Varsity

That's what I've been saying. Nothing personal towards Belmont but they had the most to gain in the whole situation. Just think Dunbar could've forfeited Taft game and still been in by beating Belmont. If Coach White is not liked for running up scores in the past why would Dunbar help Coach White get in playoffs? Someone from Belmont is liable as well for sure.
Old 04-05-17, 12:54 PM
All District

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Week 10 Dunbar intentionally held out the ineligible player. They were winning the game by a lot without him. Later in the game Baker came down and said the kid was good to play so the coach put him. A few plays later he came back down and said he made a mistake. Baker then told Dunbar to throw the game. The HC DID NOT want to do this and was furious with Baker. Dunbar then began trying to throw the game and it was very obvious. The refs stopped the game and let them know they were aware of what was happening. Baker is the main guy at fault here.
Old 04-05-17, 01:13 PM
Varsity

Armchairqb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeCoach View Post
Week 10 Dunbar intentionally held out the ineligible player. They were winning the game by a lot without him. Later in the game Baker came down and said the kid was good to play so the coach put him. A few plays later he came back down and said he made a mistake. Baker then told Dunbar to throw the game. The HC DID NOT want to do this and was furious with Baker. Dunbar then began trying to throw the game and it was very obvious. The refs stopped the game and let them know they were aware of what was happening. Baker is the main guy at fault here.
So Dunbar coach did try to throw the game. He needs to go too. CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-17, 01:26 PM
All District

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchairqb View Post
So Dunbar coach did try to throw the game. He needs to go too. CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!
The AD threw the game
Old 04-05-17, 01:29 PM
All District

If Belmont knew and notified Dunbar AD/principal prior to the game (which is what I heard happened) then Belmont is of no fault! It is then the responsibility of Dunbar Admin/Coach and Baker to do the right thing.
Old 04-05-17, 01:30 PM
Junior Varsity

A little more food for thought

If Coach White is not liked for running up scores in the past why would Dunbar help Coach White get in playoffs?
Exactly, they weren't. Baker screwed them (Dunbar) and is pretty much clueless about eligibility and even the playoff scenario. I guarantee you Coach White new NOTHING about what Baker said to the Dunbar coaches in THEIR lockerroom until the officials called him to the field. Coach White wanted to win to make the playoffs that is why Belmont notified Dunbar's Principal at noon and the Dunbar Principal told their coaches to NOT play the kid. If White really wanted to be so devious like some are implying he could've waited until after the game and say, sorry you gotta forfeit. Again, keep this where it belongs: BAKER/Dunbar. OHSAA is investigating them, not White/Belmont.
Old 04-05-17, 01:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
If Coach White is not liked for running up scores in the past why would Dunbar help Coach White get in playoffs?
Exactly, they weren't. Baker screwed them (Dunbar) and is pretty much clueless about eligibility and even the playoff scenario. I guarantee you Coach White new NOTHING about what Baker said to the Dunbar coaches in THEIR lockerroom until the officials called him to the field. Coach White wanted to win to make the playoffs that is why Belmont notified Dunbar's Principal at noon and the Dunbar Principal told their coaches to NOT play the kid. If White really wanted to be so devious like some are implying he could've waited until after the game and say, sorry you gotta forfeit. Again, keep this where it belongs: BAKER/Dunbar. OHSAA is investigating them, not White/Belmont.
Old 04-05-17, 01:54 PM
All District

dreamz7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchairqb View Post
Exactly! He needs go too. I UNDERSTAND HE DIDN'T WANT TO, HOWEVER HE STILL TRIED, AN FOR THAT REASON HE HAS go.
Old 04-05-17, 02:35 PM
Varsity

The fact that everyone says Baker is so clueless is what makes it seem like more may be involved. For him to come up with the plan to throw the game so both teams can get in playoffs would mean he would have to know exactly what was going on. Remember outside looking in all I can do is go off of article. If the purpose of Baker cheating was to get two teams in the playoffs means he understood the point system and all of the other intricacies of how the playoffs work. He would have had to have that figured out quick according to the timeline presented in the article. So based on everyone also saying he is clueless is what brings me to my conclusion. Coach White could be innocent and if so it would suck for him because he has been an excellent model of what a coach should be. The principal's could've dropped the ball somewhere but if you look at the article and all the other things being said about Baker, it just seems as if more is liable.
Old 04-05-17, 04:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Man, you are just not gonna leave White/Belmont out of this because Baker is "clueless". To quote Bill Murray from Groundhog Day, "Don't drive angry."
Old 04-05-17, 07:15 PM
Varsity

Why are you so interested in me leaving Belmont out? The State investigation will tell all we need to know. I just said maybe Coach White is innocent and maybe someone else dropped the ball. It may not be Belmont fault at all, once again I'm going off of article. Why do you assume I'm angry? Because of my opinion? Take your own advice on driving angry! Only the truth gets reactions like your giving.....
Old 04-05-17, 08:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Lighten up Francis (another movie quote). It was a comedy and he was speaking to a freakin' groundhog. Yes, the state investigation will try to make sense and Belmont is not a part of it.
Old 04-05-17, 09:12 PM
Varsity

Understood But you still have to be fair about the facts. If the fact is Baker did this to cover his mistake then its all on him. But if the intent was to get two teams in the timeline doesn't make sense that he would think of that that fast. If he is clueless! If Belmont is innocent then they should not be punished. But you can't blame anyone outside looking in who hear it REPORTED that this was done to benefit TWO schools that maybe the other school who BENEFITTED may know more than what's put out.
Old 04-05-17, 10:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Understand people not trusting DPS and maybe I was too cavalier in saying Baker clueless. Talk was all week for Belmont to get in they have to win but on the field. Baker should of NEVER SAID ANYTHING. He has no experience as an AD and he's going to make a decision on eligibility. To me it looks like CYA. Bottom line, a lot of innocent players in DPS who do not deserve this. Probably my last post because I think the clock radio is playing Sonny and Cher (from Groundhog Day) and I'm repeating.