Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-02-17, 04:00 PM
Varsity

Spreadattack is on a distinguished road
DPS OHSAA investigation

So are they saying they are going to suspend sports all together, or just post season play?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...k66Aqby9aIKWM/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-17, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
We could use another WR and RB.....

If Dunbar gets the death penalty are their athletes free to transfer without sitting out?
Old 04-02-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadattack View Post
So are they saying they are going to suspend sports all together, or just post season play?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...k66Aqby9aIKWM/
Baker absolutely screwed the pooch on this one, but they shouldn't penalize the kids over this. They also need to figure out how they lost thousands+ of dollars in parking money over the last 20 years.
If they do start suspending/banning sports, the open enrollment districts will see even more traffic. What circus.
Old 04-02-17, 04:30 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
This looks to get ugly but is not all that surprising. I'm afraid with the current setup for football that we may see more of this. Punishment should be severe for those that were in on it but the un-involved schools and sports should not be punished because they are related districts being overseen by the same people.
Old 04-02-17, 05:10 PM
Varsity

It always seemed like it was deeper than Baker. Especially when I saw in previous post that Belmont principal called Dunbar at the end of school day on gameday to tell about the kid. The paper article starts the story at Welcome when it seems there was communication well before then.
Old 04-02-17, 05:45 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
Its sounds like the OHSAA was waiting to see what the Dayton Public Schools investigation found. All the DPS investigation seems to have found is that Baker supposedly did not tell Dunbar to forfeit. With no penalties or sanctions to those involved.
So now the OHSAA has to make a ruling. I am thinking the Dayton Public School will get a slap on the wrist (a fine) and told not to let this happen again.
Any other ruling by the OHSAA will end up in the court system.
Old 04-02-17, 07:40 PM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
I've had a similar investigative role, but in a different arena of life, and I can tell you one thing. What makes the OHSAA job difficult are lies. They will be lied to right to their faces.

Jobs are on the line, so desire to just come clean will not be there.
Old 04-02-17, 08:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Fat Albert is on a distinguished road
The wording of the article has been changed, now there's no mention of Barker admitting guilt.
Old 04-02-17, 09:04 PM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
The wording of the article has been changed, now there's no mention of Barker admitting guilt.
The wording in the article absolutely did change! Hmmm. Sounds like Baker needs to be GONE NOW!!!! I just don't understand (if the OHSAA does) penalize all schools and sports. What is the justification with that? Baker and Dunbar screwed up. I don't know any football coach that would throw a game even if told! Get rid of Baker and be done with it. Fine DPS and make Baker pay the fine!

If you penalize the rest of the schools, DPS athletics will be very bad. A lot of kids will transfer and it will not be good for DPS. Athletics keeps a lot of those kids off the streets and teaches them valuable life lessons. I would hate to see that. It's not right that kids have to pay for a idiot athletic directors negligence to know the rules! Bye Baker
Old 04-02-17, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
I thought last fall when this came out that Baker should have been gone.

How is he still there?!
Old 04-03-17, 05:11 AM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
^^^
Teachers union?
Old 04-03-17, 06:00 AM
All Region

Ballin50 is on a distinguished road
I'm not surprised Baker is in the news again for unsportsmanlike behavior... The guy is bad news period!
Old 04-03-17, 06:29 AM
All District

1995 is on a distinguished road
I would bet Baker is not in the teachers union.
Old 04-03-17, 07:31 AM
Varsity

For them to not fire Baker yet means it's obviously deeper than just him. Did Belmont know that the game was being thrown?
Old 04-03-17, 08:40 AM
Varsity

When Dunbar came out and was just giving the ball to Belmont was the understanding from ALL parties involved that Dunbar would let Belmont win? If Baker's plan was to let Belmont win and not say anything a bout ineligible player that meant Belmont would've had to have been quiet about it to obviously.
Old 04-03-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Baker should be gone as well as anyone else who had anything to do with it. If anyone remains at any given school that school should be given the death penalty until that person is no longer with them. Fixing games regardless of reason should never be a part of any sporting event.
Old 04-03-17, 10:58 AM
Varsity

That's how I feel to. Belmont has the most to gain from the game being thrown. Dunbar could've forfeited Taft game and still been in the playoffs.If that happenes Belmont is not in the playoffs.
Even though they are from the city I can't see Dunbar wanting to help Belmont get in playoffs! That's why the timing of the principal from Belmont telling Dunbar principal about grade does seem odd.
Old 04-03-17, 11:14 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
DPS is guilty and should face the consequences and the HS version of the death penalty.
Old 04-03-17, 11:22 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
DPS is guilty and should face the consequences and the HS version of the death penalty.
Mark Baker is guilty, He admitted it in the article and then a couple hours later that quote was removed from the article.

What are his qualifications to be an AD let alone the District AD?

I'm not sure other schools deserve any penalty. I don't know how that would take care of the issue. Sounds like no one else was involved but Dunbar/Mark Baker. Get rid of Baker and fine DPS and be done with it. It is not that hard as an AD to check eligibility. After all I think that would be in your job description as an AD.

Last edited by fangwoc; 04-03-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 11:50 AM
All District

dreamz7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Mark Baker is guilty, He admitted it in the article and then a couple hours later that quote was removed from the article.

What are his qualifications to be an AD let alone the District AD?

I'm not sure other schools deserve any penalty. I don't know how that would take care of the issue. Sounds like no one else was involved but Dunbar/Mark Baker. Get rid of Baker and fine DPS and be done with it. It is not that hard as an AD to check eligibility. After all I think that would be in your job description as an AD.
All are Guilty , DPS needs to clean house,
Old 04-03-17, 11:50 AM
Varsity

Its not about him checking grades, it was an honest mistake. Its about the cover up and the desired results of the cover up. Its a reason the wording on the article changed in article! It just don't make sense that Dunbar would be so careless when they had good chance in playoff! Baker dropped the ball but it seems like the ball was passed to him .......
Old 04-03-17, 01:36 PM
All District

Quote:
Its not about him checking grades, it was an honest mistake. Its about the cover up and the desired results of the cover up. Its a reason the wording on the article changed in article! It just don't make sense that Dunbar would be so careless when they had good chance in playoff! Baker dropped the ball but it seems like the ball was passed to him .......
It is about the cover up that Baker tried and how he went about it. It's also about doing your job to make sure kids are eligible to play (not sure how that's a mistake). I think that's just called incompetent. Again why punish the other schools that were not involved including Belmont. It sounds like Belmont was trying to help them out, but Baker/Dunbar wanted to try and get around it. They messed up and now ah oh the OHSAA is involved now. Sad for kids if they are the ones that will be punished. Hopefully that will not be the case. Again, baker gone dps fined. Maybe suspend Dunbar Football from post season for 2 years. That is a decent penalty without giving the death penalty
Old 04-03-17, 02:25 PM
Varsity

Belmont wasn't helping out waiting until end of school day on game day if that's true. Don't schools have an obligation to report ineligible players to state? If the kid was ineligible week 9 against Taft why didn't whoever round out about grade report it to state? Is in not the principal obligation to report academic fraud of any kind?
Old 04-03-17, 02:32 PM
Varsity

Remember this was done to get two teams in from city. If Baker did this him self no one should suffer but him. But anyone who knew is liable in my book.
Old 04-03-17, 02:45 PM
Varsity

Hell Dunbar kept the kid out until they were told he can play by Baker from what I hear. If this was handled right Dunbar would've only forfeited Taft game. That's why it seems to me information was held to make sure Belmont could benefit. Think about it, if the refs hadn't stopped the game when Dunbar was giving Belmont ball who would've told? Belmont would not have told that Dunbar had an ineligible because they were getting in playoffs and if what I'm saying is true that's why they would be just as liable!
Old 04-03-17, 05:18 PM
All District

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's how I feel to. Belmont has the most to gain from the game being thrown. Dunbar could've forfeited Taft game and still been in the playoffs. If that happenes Belmont is not in the playoffs.
Even though they are from the city I can't see Dunbar wanting to help Belmont get in playoffs! That's why the timing of the principal from Belmont telling Dunbar principal about grade does seem odd.

You can't blame Belmont for what happen. The principal told them before the game, if they wanted to be dirty they would have let the kid play and then notified the state. The Dunbar principal text the dunbar coaches and told them not to play the kid but they did anyway, so thats on Dunbar. The throwing of the game was said in dunbar locker room and how would the belmont coaches know. The only reason the Belmont coaches knew is when the refs called the head coaches to mid field and told dunbar they was not going to do this
Old 04-03-17, 06:09 PM
Varsity

Maybe you can't, but its telling that the penalties from the state that are being talked about would affect the whole district like they are. The only reason I'm looking looking at it from a different view is outside looking in it seems simple to just punish Baker and Dunbar. But if you saying the principal called and Dunbar held the kid out first drive until Baker said he can go in is it really Dunbar fault? Its Dunbar fault the player played in first place, but the other stuff made it worse
Old 04-03-17, 06:36 PM
Varsity

Once again if Baker acted alone he should suffer alone. Just seem to me everything would've been OK had the refs not stopped the game.
Old 04-03-17, 06:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Once again if Baker acted alone he should suffer alone. Just seem to me everything would've been OK had the refs not stopped the game.
They didn't start the kid, he then comes into the game. So the Dunbar coaches knew he was ineligible and sat him out. So it seems baker told them to throw the game at some point and or told them he was ok to play. Again as I mentioned before, I don't know any football coach that would throw a game. What are they gaining from that? Even If Belmont knew and told them way before the game, what did Belmont have to do with Dunbar playing the kid?
Old 04-03-17, 06:44 PM
Freshman

news4OH is on a distinguished road
If the Principal at Dunbar told the coaches not to play the kid, then those coaches should have been fired. They were winning the game without the player, so why did they decide to play him especially when the ineligible player was in question. Why take a chance?