Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 05:59 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
The Girl on the Train: 6.5/8

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of twists and turns in the story. People who have read the book seem to like that more though.
Tried to watch this on Spectrum On-Demand and the system was so screwed up I was dropped twice and unable to restart it without paying for it each time. I complained and got a credit but I am not going to try On-Demand again for a while.
Old 04-19-17, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Hands of Stone (2016)- decent movie about Roberto Duran and his trainer Ray Arcel. Boxing movies can be bad, but they did a nice job with this one, covering a lot of years in only two hours. It did a very nice job of delving into the psyche of Duran. 6/8.
Old 04-19-17, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016)- a pretty juvenile movie about two brothers, played by Zac Efron and Adam DeVine, who post an ad on Craigslist for dates to their sister's wedding in Hawaii. They end up with two nutjobs looking for a free trip. A couple of laughs but all in all, a waste of an hour and 45 minutes. 3/8.
Old 04-19-17, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

War Dogs (2016)- Story about two small timers who figure out the government defense system for buying and selling to the US military and makes millions before getting in way over their heads. Very entertaining flick. 6/8.
Old 04-19-17, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Tried to watch this on Spectrum On-Demand and the system was so screwed up I was dropped twice and unable to restart it without paying for it each time. I complained and got a credit but I am not going to try On-Demand again for a while.
I had problems with Spectrum as well after they changed the guide. I recorded a baseball game and extended the 3 hour playtime to 5 hours to make sure I got the whole game. It recorded for 5 hours but only let me watch the first 3 hours of it........
Old 04-20-17, 07:15 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Huntsman: Winters War: 4.5/8

Not great, not bad. Better than I'd expect. A nice little action film if you don't take it too seriously. I didn't mind Snow White and the Huntsman, even though I think Kristen Stewart was horribly miscast. I'd be open to a third one if they recast her.

This movie oddly enough was both a prequel and a sequel to the first movie.The first 25 minutes is a prequel, and then it jumps ahead 7 years to after the events of Snow White and the Huntsman
Old 04-20-17, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

Ejecta (Canada-2014)

Horror: A man believes that there is something in his head that was put there by an alien force 39 years ago. Oh, where to begin with this one. It actually had a decent premise but everything else about it sucked. The story was told in different sequences which destroyed any flow to the film. The "found footage" part of the film had live action edit cuts... come on man, if you are being chased by a creature you do not stop and do it over again and edit it so it destroyed the whole found footage part of the film not to add that it also had edited in sound effects and music score.... then of course they had to throw in the stupidity mindset of the military. Not much good about this one and I am being generous with this.... 2.0/8

#Horror (2015)

Horror: Six rich spoiled 12 year old girls obsessed with social media have a sleep over where they cyberbully each other to the point it spirals out of control and their little world self destructs.... There is no reason for me to like this, I think little girls are annoying, I hate social media, and it had annoying pop ups on the screen.... but you know what, it was not that bad and I actually enjoyed it.... who would of known.... well, of course the critics destroyed it..... I also felt that the young actresses did a realistic and amazing job..... 5.0/8
Old 04-20-17, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

Extraterrestrial (Canada-2014)

Horror: A group of friends head out to a cabin and of course something terrible happens. While this one also had tons wrong with it at least it was enjoyable to watch. Should of ended 15 minutes sooner as I felt that destroyed the film but it was still salvageable... 4.0/8

From The Dark (Ireland-2014)

Horror: A couple gets stuck in a storm somewhere nowhere in Ireland and look for help but finds something sinister. Well, this is a good for insomnia as it will put you to sleep quickly. Stupid decisions by characters and the creature is slow and weak.... come on, just walk away from it and you will be fine...lol, .... 2.5/8
Old 04-20-17, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Japan-2002)

Kaiju: 26th Godzilla film... Godzilla is once again back and the Japanes government come up with this great idea.... take the DNA from the dead Godzilla from the 50's and build a mechanical Godzilla using that DNA to control it... basically, a machine that resembles Godzilla that thinks like Godzilla.... well, think it about it.... what do you think will happen.... exactly.... this was actually wasn't that bad.... 4.0/8

Meet The Blacks (2016)

Horror/Satire: Known as the Black Purge the Blacks move into an all white rich neighborhood on the night of the Purge thinking that rich folks don't participate... well, they were wrong. So was this film. Full of racial stereotypes, dull action, and not funny comedy I could not wait for it to end just like I am waiting for my Netflix subscription to end... I like the shows but the horror movies on this site has been going down hill for awhile now..... 2.5/8
Old 04-20-17, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

Hated In The Nation (UK-2016)

Horror: Black Mirror- The person voted as the most hated person each day on a website mysteriously dies that evening... 6.0/8

Archivo 253 (Mexico-2015)

Horror: Found Footage... a crew sneaks into an abandoned asylum to see if rumors of the place being haunted are true. Very poor attempt that was just flat out boring and I am a huge fan of found footage.... 2.5/8
Old 04-20-17, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

The Tortured (2010)

Horror: A couples young son is taken and they decide to take things into their own hands. This one gets a bit gory... not sure how I felt about the ending... 4.0/8

The Pact 2 (2014)

Horror: A woman suffers from nightmares. I believe she has moved into the same house from the first movie... I liked the first one but not the sequel.... 3.0/8
Old 04-21-17, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

The Secrets of Emily Blair (2016)

Horror: No secrets here..... Emily gets engaged and then goes out and gets herself possessed by a demon.... First half was not that bad but then it went down hill... 3.0/8
Old 04-22-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

Busanhaeng (South Korea-2016)

Horror: A father with his daughter, a man and his pregnant wife, a baseball team, and others are all on a train heading to Busan when a zombie outbreak starts up. It does not take long for the action to heat up in what I am calling one of The Best Zombie Movie I Have Ever Seen.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... 7.0/8

This one is on Netflix...

Old 04-22-17, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

The Windmill (Netherlands-2016)

Horror: A tour bus that visits windmill sites breaks down way out in the countryside leaving the tourist trapped. Panic sets in when one of them ends up brutally murdered... 6.0/8
Old 04-22-17, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Abattoir (2016)

Horror: A real estate reporter following a tragic event discovers a string of bizarre murders where the rooms in which they took place have vanished. Well, this was the last of the Netflix horror movie marathon that I went on... 5.0/8
Old 04-27-17, 05:13 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
With no new movies I have wanted to watch, except for Raw which, unfortunately, only played one week at our local art house, so I missed it, it was back to TCM for me. That being the case I watched Action In the North Atlantic (1943) a lesser known Humphrey Bogart film that also featured one of my favorite character actors, Alan Hale , Sr. (father and look a like of his son who played Skipper on Gilligan's Island). The movie focused on the role the merchant marines played in winning WWII, a much neglected subject, as the crew steams across the North Atlantic, from the US to a Russian port in a Liberty Ship taking much needed war supplies to our ally, the Soviet Union.

Sure, it is clearly a promotional film for service in the merchant marines, but it still a compelling story and is well acted and well executed. The special effects are a little clunky by today's standards.

5/8
Old 04-27-17, 05:34 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
With no new movies I have wanted to watch, except for Raw which, unfortunately, only played one week at our local art house, ..
Oh yeah, golden oldies, I think I remember that one playing at our local "art house" back in the day Part of a series? Raw, Raw 2, Raw in the Raw, Any Which Way You Raw..." Annie Sprinkle right? Great series
Old 04-27-17, 08:35 PM
All Yappi

Doorway to Death (UK-1973)

Horror: A family moves into an apartment and the kids discover something strange about the guy who lives in the abandoned up stairs room... 4.5/8

Manhattan Baby (Italy-1982)

Horror: A young girl acts strange when she returns from a trip to Egypt in which her father lost his sight while exploring a tomb. This is a Fulci so it gets a bit strange and cheesy with the effects... always a great score though!!! ... 4.5/8
Old 04-30-17, 12:49 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Slapshot- 5/8

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang- 5.25/8
Old 04-30-17, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Deepwater Horizon: 5.5/8

pretty good cast, compelling story. nothing that wows you to push it to "great" though. not sure how closely they stuck to the real thing. Actually feel like it could have stood to add another 10-15 minutes.

Not counting the "in remembrance" epilogue at the end, it's proably only a (quick) 95 minute movie.
Old 04-30-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Ip Man 6.5/8

Chinese man defends town from Japanese invaders pre WW2. Donnie Yen is crazy good.

Sunshine 5.5/8

Misiion is sent to re-ignite the sun as the sun fades and the earth cools. pretty good sci-fi flick with a decent cast too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: