Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-17, 07:47 PM
All American

Orangeman89
I respected Joe and his staff for years. Yost stepped down, it should be over, time for everyone to move on. Don't pander for a nearly 70 year old asst. to get the job just so you can stick around the program. Not fair to the kids, school or community.
If Shuman gets the gig, nothing changes. Same terrible coaching and playcalling while making excuses at the parent meeting that "Ellet has small kids, it's the best we can do".
It's a mediocrity or bust mindset that has been ingrained in Ellet for 38 years. Beat the pasties of the City Series, get lucky and beat the top dogs on occassion and call it a season. Time for a wake-up call but it doesn't appear to be coming.
Shame on Yost for thinking his 38 years and the Bingo Hall are irreplaceable. How about a single playoff win, a play book with more than 6 plays, terminology that hasn't changed in 30 plus years and coaches that can push a kid to the next level.
How about some of that without excuses?
If that's good enough for you and the rest of Ellet then shame on you all. Ellet gets what they deserve and I hope the kids that are any good at all find a home elsewhere where they'll be utilized properly.

And guess what?...in 2-5 years we can do it all again. Will you be awake then Ellet? I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-11-17, 09:51 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
I respected Joe and his staff for years. Yost stepped down, it should be over, time for everyone to move on. Don't pander for a nearly 70 year old asst. to get the job just so you can stick around the program. Not fair to the kids, school or community.
If Shuman gets the gig, nothing changes. Same terrible coaching and playcalling while making excuses at the parent meeting that "Ellet has small kids, it's the best we can do".
It's a mediocrity or bust mindset that has been ingrained in Ellet for 38 years. Beat the pasties of the City Series, get lucky and beat the top dogs on occassion and call it a season. Time for a wake-up call but it doesn't appear to be coming.
Shame on Yost for thinking his 38 years and the Bingo Hall are irreplaceable. How about a single playoff win, a play book with more than 6 plays, terminology that hasn't changed in 30 plus years and coaches that can push a kid to the next level.
How about some of that without excuses?
If that's good enough for you and the rest of Ellet then shame on you all. Ellet gets what they deserve and I hope the kids that are any good at all find a home elsewhere where they'll be utilized properly.

And guess what?...in 2-5 years we can do it all again. Will you be awake then Ellet? I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-11-17, 10:30 AM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Got that wallet opened up, yet, Orange?? Talent alone won't get admission into one of the privates anymore. Just open it up!

You are figuring out that this must be as good as done as the Hot Dogs at Sam's Club are! Sweeter than Yoo-Hoo!
Old 04-12-17, 09:34 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Shuman
Old 04-13-17, 03:55 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Word from Akron's southeast border of trade is that they are moving forward with a second round of interviews...hmmm...could it be we have some dissension on the panel?
Who's got the power?
Old 04-13-17, 08:47 PM
All World

Shuman
Old 04-15-17, 01:34 PM
All District

Formality, Orange, mere formality. Similar to when I go to Sam's Club, is there any doubt I am going to get a Hot Dog Combo Meal Deal??!! NOPE! I may contemplate a sausage sandwich once in a while, but I AM getting a Hot Dog. Shuman...
Old 04-15-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Yost is going to sit in the stands and approve all of the plays called by Shuman.
Old 04-16-17, 09:11 AM
All District

clark- that is where you are wrong. Yost will probably still be coaching, and Shuman called all of the plays anyway. Coach Yost signaled them in like a BOSS, but it was Shuman pulling the strings. Now, Coach Yost may be in the stands shaking hands and trying out one of the Ellet dogs, though.
Old 04-16-17, 03:25 PM
All District

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
In a different thread, Moneyball preaches that APS needs to have ethical standards. If Shuman gets the Ellet job, what ethical standards are APS following by hiring a 67-68 year old man as HC? Just curious what ethical standards you are speaking of...
Old 04-16-17, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

The principal likes the idea of Shuman because Ellet will be able to get a senior discount on all of the football equipment they purchase.
Old 04-16-17, 03:49 PM
All District

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The principal likes the idea of Shuman because Ellet will be able to get a senior discount on all of the football equipment they purchase.
Lol. I almost spit out my adult beverage!
Old 04-17-17, 04:30 PM
All District

The APS does not care what happens in sports and they treat the people who have done so much like crap. The way the APS handled the Garfield job was handled was a punch below the belt. The Super can't tell the truth to anyone. He is not a leader, he is a politician. THAT is what I am talking about when I say the APS has no ethical standards. They will say one thing to one group of people, and even to those people's face while shaking their hand, and then say the exact opposite the next week to another group. Tell them what they want to hear, Mr. Superintendent!

THAT is what I mean by having ethical standards.

Coach Shuman is very qualified, is very well respected and has the experience. There is nothing unethical about hiring from within if there is someone who is qualified and has put in his time. They have had success, a lot as of late, so why, if the principal and the committee likes him ,not hire him and give him a chance? As long as he doesn't wear the marble-huggers, don't know how anyone can claim he isn't prepared or ready for the position.
Old 04-17-17, 05:07 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
The APS does not care what happens in sports and they treat the people who have done so much like crap. The way the APS handled the Garfield job was handled was a punch below the belt. The Super can't tell the truth to anyone. He is not a leader, he is a politician. THAT is what I am talking about when I say the APS has no ethical standards. They will say one thing to one group of people, and even to those people's face while shaking their hand, and then say the exact opposite the next week to another group. Tell them what they want to hear, Mr. Superintendent!

THAT is what I mean by having ethical standards.

Coach Shuman is very qualified, is very well respected and has the experience. There is nothing unethical about hiring from within if there is someone who is qualified and has put in his time. They have had success, a lot as of late, so why, if the principal and the committee likes him ,not hire him and give him a chance? As long as he doesn't wear the marble-huggers, don't know how anyone can claim he isn't prepared or ready for the position.
He (Shuman) has experience as an assistant. Aside from that he hasn't been successful as a coach and neither was Yost in terms of meaningful wins.
If status quo is the goal then Shuman it is. If you want to try and get to the next level you have to look elsewhere. The only way Shuman makes any sense is if perhaps he were 30 years younger and more ambitious.
Old 04-20-17, 11:04 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Round 2 of interviews set for Monday. Possibly 3 candidates left. Don't be fooled, Shuman far from a done deal.
Old 04-20-17, 08:05 PM
All District

Shuman hasn't been successful as a coach?? You really have a grudge. Did they not let you to on the field when you played? The man has been one of the most successful head coaches in softball in the area. He knows how to lead kids. Not being fooled, but I will guarantee Shuman is one of the finalists. I believe he will be the next HC at Ellet. A little birdie told me so.

BTW, I always hear this saying, "Go to the next level..." We are talking about the Ellet Community, which is part of the APS. Nothing will go to the next level in the APS anymore. The BOE doesn't care about sports, which hI heave heard on here, but I believe it even more as time goes on.
Old 04-21-17, 08:44 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Shuman hasn't been successful as a coach?? You really have a grudge. Did they not let you to on the field when you played? The man has been one of the most successful head coaches in softball in the area. He knows how to lead kids. Not being fooled, but I will guarantee Shuman is one of the finalists. I believe he will be the next HC at Ellet. A little birdie told me so.

BTW, I always hear this saying, "Go to the next level..." We are talking about the Ellet Community, which is part of the APS. Nothing will go to the next level in the APS anymore. The BOE doesn't care about sports, which hI heave heard on here, but I believe it even more as time goes on.
I have no grudge and respect Shuman.
The difference here is, unlike most of Ellet, mediocrity doesn't sit well with me.
Girls softball and football are very different . Shuman getting the job is about two things, pumping up the retirement plan and allowing Yost to keep his fingers on things without the responsibility.
It will be interesting to see if the Ellet parents sit on their hands if Shuman gets ithe job or if they show some balls and demand a viable candidate.
Old 04-21-17, 09:49 AM
All Region

PRICELESS is on a distinguished road
Priceless Takes

You are right the new coach is a OC, just not from Ellet.

UR
Old 04-22-17, 10:18 AM
All District

So now you call Shuman not a viable candidate? I can see how much you respect him.
Old 04-22-17, 06:59 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
So now you call Shuman not a viable candidate? I can see how much you respect him.
No way he his, not at his age and no prior head coaching experience in that time.
If anybody thinks it makes sense to hire a 68 year old guy who will be there less than 5 years, they need their head examined. Especially when you have a couple young guys with better resumes sitting there.
What's sad is this is all about Yost. I know for a fact he went downtown and told them to hire Shuman and he would stay on and coach LB'ers. That's selfish and frankly a little arrogant. Joe Yost is NOT bigger than Ellet football.
Old 04-23-17, 09:28 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure if your just trying to stir the pot or what, but I agree with Orangeman.

Why is Shuman a viable candidate for you?
Old 04-23-17, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

They are going to have a new school before long. It would be a great time to use the energy of a new school to make transitions in some other areas, like football. Sarver's time as baseball coach has to be winding down too, I would think. That's not a criticism of the "old guard", they have served Ellet well, but sometimes change is healthy.
Old 04-24-17, 11:58 AM
All World

Time for a new regime
Old 04-24-17, 12:00 PM
All World

Quote:

This could not be any further from the truth. The city and sports admin care more about sports than it ever has.
Old 04-24-17, 12:03 PM
All World

Quote:
They are going to have a new school before long. It would be a great time to use the energy of a new school to make transitions in some other areas, like football. Sarver's time as baseball coach has to be winding down too, I would think. That's not a criticism of the "old guard", they have served Ellet well, but sometimes change is healthy.
Sarver is just as bad. Their baseball program is an embarrassment. The kids, who are good players, are taught nothing.n Shockingly it is a football coach who is also the head baseball coach
Old 04-24-17, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Sarver is just as bad. Their baseball program is an embarrassment. The kids, who are good players, are taught nothing.n Shockingly it is a football coach who is also the head baseball coach
Naaaaah, Sarver's been great. I just know his wife retired a couple of years ago and he has to be close.
Old 04-24-17, 01:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Naaaaah, Sarver's been great. I just know his wife retired a couple of years ago and he has to be close.
If anyone cared about baseball you could make the argument that he is the worse coach around.
Old 04-24-17, 05:08 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
If anyone cared about baseball you could make the argument that he is the worse coach around.
Orange baseball was suppose to have one of their better teams and they're barely .500.
How many times you heard that in the fall!?
Old 04-24-17, 05:11 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Interviews are done, now we wait. Should know this week.
Hopefully the Shuman interview was out of respect and it really comes down to the two thirty-somethings vying for the job.
Old 04-25-17, 11:13 AM
All Region

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Interviews are done, now we wait. Should know this week.
Hopefully the Shuman interview was out of respect and it really comes down to the two thirty-somethings vying for the job.
Laktash and who is the other one?