Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-26-17, 09:47 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Ak.Ellet coaching search?...

Posting closed the 24th. Unconfirmed word that they were 17 applicants with at least two of those coming from Yost's staff.
Any word on who some of the outsiders may be?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-17, 08:01 AM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it is an appealing job. The new coach will have community support, a new school in a year or so, new field turf going in either this year or next, and the bingo to support the program financially. Now if they could latch on with Sam's Club to provide the world famous Sam's Club hot dogs for the concession stand, it will be a top-notch facility.

I would look for the job to definitely be in 1 man's favor, and yes, he has been on Yost's staff. I would think it is his job if he wants it.
Old 03-28-17, 11:58 AM
All Region

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
I would think that there would be a few people from Ellet's staff that may be interested. I wonder how many of the applicants have any prior head coaching experience? I'm sure there were some good applicants.
Old 03-28-17, 12:16 PM
All Region

Spike9 is on a distinguished road
Scott Pollock would look good in Orange!
Old 03-28-17, 08:40 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Not to get off topic, but does anyone have a complete schedule for next year?
Old 03-29-17, 03:30 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvhsmgr View Post
Not to get off topic, but does anyone have a complete schedule for next year?
I'm not sure it is complete yet. Probably job #1 of the new guy and AD.
Old 03-29-17, 08:32 AM
All Region

What weeks are they open and what schools have common openings?
Old 03-29-17, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike9 View Post
Scott Pollock would look good in Orange!
Only if it's deer season in Ellet.
Old 03-29-17, 11:28 PM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
TRUST AND BELIEVE

Coach Shuman will get the job and Coach Yost will be an assistant. Heard that today.
Old 03-30-17, 06:41 AM
All District

Who claimed it would be someone on Yost's staff if they wanted it? That person I believe applied for it, and he will more than likely get the job. I believe that Coach Yost may indeed join his staff, so in all reality, there will be no change of guard, except that Coach Yost will not be the guy being interviewed by the paper. So people of Ellet, while many have claimed they want change, it doesn't appear it will happen with this move. But hey, come on down to the Sam's Club Saturday afternoon...yours truly will be there doing my weekly shopping and putting on a clinic of how to eat the Sam's Club hot dog combo meal.
Old 03-30-17, 09:06 AM
All Region

Collusion at it's BEST lol! Funny how people can jump to these conclusions without interviews even held yet. Assuming they have not done interviews yet. In fact, no one even knows who all the applicants are. Maybe Shuman hasn't even applied for it?

FYI - Orangemen, according to the article below, Shuman is 4 years older than Yost. Looks like he is 67 or 68 right now. Sounds like a perfect age for a new HC lol.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/varsity-le...-bios-1.424654
Old 03-30-17, 06:38 PM
All District

Prediction will stand.
Old 03-30-17, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

If it is Shuman's job, the process is a farce. Ellet and APS has a chance to really move forward with this hire. God bless Yost for his dedication and hard work, but even the most zealous Ellet fan will admit that Yost and his staff have cost the team wins over the years. Ellet appears to have gone as far as it can under the Yost regime. It's time to combine Ellet's boosters, youth program, athletes and strong community support with a head coach with a new vision, not the same old thing Shuman would bring.
Old 03-30-17, 07:50 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish02 View Post
Collusion at it's BEST lol! Funny how people can jump to these conclusions without interviews even held yet. Assuming they have not done interviews yet. In fact, no one even knows who all the applicants are. Maybe Shuman hasn't even applied for it?

FYI - Orangemen, according to the article below, Shuman is 4 years older than Yost. Looks like he is 67 or 68 right now. Sounds like a perfect age for a new HC lol.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/varsity-le...-bios-1.424654
That's gotta be one of the oldest (in years) coaching staff in Ohio.
Old 03-31-17, 07:29 AM
All District

Not saying I agree, fellas, but I think it will come to fruition, much like me enjoying a Sam's Club Hot Dog Combo for lunch today!

Coach Yost is a respected man in the community as well as his assistant coaches. If there is someone who is qualified that is on the staff, a staff that has enjoyed some great success in the past, why not give them a shot? Ellet has had some of its best years in the past 10 when everyone has claimed that Yost is washed up and they need a change. They have benefitted by the APS changing district lines and from some other things, but all in all, Ellet still has one of the smallest teams (in terms of the payers' size) and not always the fastest kids, but they win consistently and are always competitive. You cannot teach size and speed, but you can teach heart and determination and desire, which I believe they have done over there for a number of years on end.

Why should they turn the job over to someone who may have not ever been a head coach just because he is young? I can state inexperience, unknown to the community and what it expects as reasons to be cautious of that type of hiring.

And another thing, show me a coach who has not made the right decision a few times and possibly cost their team a game, and I will show you a person who has never coached before. All coaches, when they lose and even when they win a big game, feel like there is something else they could have done a little differently that could have made a difference one way or the other. Show me a coach who is hasn't felt that way and I will show you an unemployed one.

I don't know about much other than Sam's Hot Dog Combo being an awesome deal, but it sure seems like the only thing you guys seem to be holding against Coach Shuman is his age... Heck, so much of coaching is delegating and leading, age should not be the factor.
Old 03-31-17, 07:42 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
Not saying I agree, fellas, but I think it will come to fruition, much like me enjoying a Sam's Club Hot Dog Combo for lunch today!

Coach Yost is a respected man in the community as well as his assistant coaches. If there is someone who is qualified that is on the staff, a staff that has enjoyed some great success in the past, why not give them a shot? Ellet has had some of its best years in the past 10 when everyone has claimed that Yost is washed up and they need a change. They have benefitted by the APS changing district lines and from some other things, but all in all, Ellet still has one of the smallest teams (in terms of the payers' size) and not always the fastest kids, but they win consistently and are always competitive. You cannot teach size and speed, but you can teach heart and determination and desire, which I believe they have done over there for a number of years on end.

Why should they turn the job over to someone who may have not ever been a head coach just because he is young? I can state inexperience, unknown to the community and what it expects as reasons to be cautious of that type of hiring.

And another thing, show me a coach who has not made the right decision a few times and possibly cost their team a game, and I will show you a person who has never coached before. All coaches, when they lose and even when they win a big game, feel like there is something else they could have done a little differently that could have made a difference one way or the other. Show me a coach who is hasn't felt that way and I will show you an unemployed one.

I don't know about much other than Sam's Hot Dog Combo being an awesome deal, but it sure seems like the only thing you guys seem to be holding against Coach Shuman is his age... Heck, so much of coaching is delegating and leading, age should not be the factor.

You clearly have no clue. What has their great success been? They are small by coach decisions not because there arent big kids in the school. They have had a lot of team speed and have been the most athletic team in the city for the most of the past 5 or 6 years. They have had better years because talent has outweighed poor in game coaching but still have underachieved.
Old 03-31-17, 08:09 AM
All District

Every school has big kids walking the hallways, getting them out on the field and away from the Xbox and PS4s is the problem. A big reason they have had better years is the APS redistricting. Team speed? Come on, dude, other than Bridges for the past 3 years, who else? They are not a slow team, but you must be comparing them to some of the farmer-boy teams like Field or Rootstown to say they have a lot of team speed. What they have is a lot of kids that play hard, play until the whistle blows and they play with heart, grit, determination and desire. THAT is why Coach Yost had success and why Shuman very likely will get the job.

Now, if you really want to discuss things I know a little about, it is Hot Dog Combo meals at Sam's Club and their Spring Food Tasting which should be coming up here in the next week or 2. I will be there tasting it all!
Old 03-31-17, 08:12 AM
All District

Quote:
Every school has big kids walking the hallways, getting them out on the field and away from the Xbox and PS4s is the problem. A big reason they have had better years is the APS redistricting. Team speed? Come on, dude, other than Bridges for the past 3 years, who else? They are not a slow team, but you must be comparing them to some of the farmer-boy teams like Field or Rootstown to say they have a lot of team speed. What they have is a lot of kids that play hard, play until the whistle blows and they play with heart, grit, determination and desire. THAT is why Coach Yost had success and why Shuman very likely will get the job.

Now, if you really want to discuss things I know a little about, it is Hot Dog Combo meals at Sam's Club and their Spring Food Tasting which should be coming up here in the next week or 2. I will be there tasting it all!
Okay the hot dog talk is played and very dooshy I watched them run away from my Buchtel Griffins a few times. They have been a lot better than us the last few years but they make critical errors coaching during the games that ultimately allow us to beat them
Old 03-31-17, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

I think the reputation of Ellet football as slow and unathletic is a bit outdated. Well deserved back in the day, but in recent years they're plenty fast and athletic. Unfortuantely, their vanilla offense reputation from years ago still rings true and that falls back on Shuman.
Old 03-31-17, 12:15 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think the reputation of Ellet football as slow and unathletic is a bit outdated. Well deserved back in the day, but in recent years they're plenty fast and athletic. Unfortuantely, their vanilla offense reputation from years ago still rings true and that falls back on Shuman.
Old 03-31-17, 12:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I second that. Especially the vanilla offense comment
Old 03-31-17, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
If Shuman gets the job my kid is going to Hoban.
Now there's the input I was waiting for. When I referenced "even the most zealous Ellet fan" above, Orangeman89 is who I meant.
Old 03-31-17, 04:39 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Laktash makes the most sense for this job....
Old 03-31-17, 06:04 PM
All American

Orangeman89
I'm still a little surprised none of the "outsider" names have surfaced. Interviews have to start soon.
Old 04-01-17, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Quote:
I would appreciate if everyone off the current staff other than Laktash, Canavan and Brey rode off into the sunset with Joe.

No reason for Joe or the others to even assist if,say...Laktash gets the job. Mike has done it before, he doesnt need Yost there casting a shadow. Its the new guy's show whoever that may be.

I don't think folks would stay quiet if they gave to Shuman. I also trust the Ellet principal is smarter than that. Michelle Marquess Kearns was an athlete herself and seems to value the importance of athletics. This will be a telling hire for her.
Isn't one of the Ursetti boys on staff? He can stay too, but yeah I think I agree with you. This would be a good time for the old guys to pass the torch. Maybe they can go down the street and play some bingo! lol
Old 04-02-17, 01:59 PM
All Region

There definitely needs to be a passing of the torch. Not sure why someone that has been an OC his entire life wants to be a HC now. No clue how long Shuman has been coaching but what has stopped him from trying to become a HC before now? Hopefully the new coach will finally schedule us at STVM.
Old 04-03-17, 06:47 AM
All District

He has tried before at his alma mater and they hired someone else back in the 80s.

89, you better start calling your friends in the admission office at Hoban and start saving every penny you find. A sure way to do that is the Hot Dog Combo at Sam's Club, quality Nathan's dogs and a super-sized drink for only $1.79, baby! Cannot get better than that!

I also have heard that there could be someone coming out of retirement to take over the reigns at Ellet. Could be that he is primed and rejuvenated...no names...YET!
Old 04-03-17, 08:50 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:

I also have heard that there could be someone coming out of retirement to take over the reigns at Ellet. Could be that he is primed and rejuvenated...no names...YET!
Vassalotti
Old 04-03-17, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Vassalotti
Ellet can only hope.
Old 04-04-17, 07:35 AM
All Region

Still no word of applicants or interviews. APS doing a really good job lol