Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-26-17, 12:10 AM
All World

jwuerth is on a distinguished road
Moe gets bit by coach ordered intentional foul

So Moeller trails 37-36 with under a minute to play and Massillon Jackson has the ball and is trying to hold on for the win. What usually happens in this situation is the trailing team goes for a steal and if they canít get one they have to foul and send the other team to the line and hope they miss their free throws.

So what does Moeller Head Coach Carl Kremer do? Tries to pull one of his crap moves and foul the other teamís bad free throw shooter off the ball. The clock is running down under a minute and the Jackson guard has the ball out near mid-court. Kremer and one of his assistants are both standing up near the top of the coaching box frantically signaling for one of his players to foul No. 41. The only problem is No. 41, Jacksonís Logan Hill, is way down in the corner baseline in front of Jacksonís bench just standing there. Moellerís Jaxson Hayes starts pushing his chest up against Hill and rides him all the way out of bounds right into the Jackson bench. Kremer gets what he wants, a foul, a BIG FAT INTENTIONAL FOUL with 49 seconds left. His little trick that he has done before and the GCL refs never call, backfires right in his face. Hill makes one free throw and after a nice defensive play by Moe, they get the ball back down two. Moe ties it with two free throws with 23 seconds left. Jacksonís Kyle Young gets fouled going to the basket and hits a free throw with 3 seconds left for a one point lead. He misses the second and Moe calls a timeout. A desperation three at the buzzer misses and Jackson wins by one point. Where did that one point come from, THE INTENTIONAL FOUL.

I love it. It was absolutely the right call and he has gotten away with this tactic before. This time the ref made the right call. Maybe the ref wouldnít have called it if Kremer hadnít been complaining and whining to the refs all game. Who knows, maybe they still would have as it was the right call. Just coach the game right and foul the guy with the ball. This time it backfired and I am glad it did. Congrats Jackson on a well-deserved win and state title.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 12:25 AM
Junior Varsity

cincyfootball7 is on a distinguished road
Says jwuerth, the biggest Moeller basketball hater on this forum and close friend/relative of recently fired St. Xavier head basketball coach Scott Martin. I'm sure that horrible intentional foul call to cost Moeller a state championship made your weekend didn't it?
Old 03-26-17, 12:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfootball7 View Post
Says jwuerth, the biggest Moeller basketball hater on this forum and close friend/relative of recently fired St. Xavier head basketball coach Scott Martin. I'm sure that horrible intentional foul call to cost Moeller a state championship made your weekend didn't it?
Damn shame the coach ordered his player to make that intentional foul. Saw it in person with my own two eyes.
Old 03-26-17, 12:55 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
I would think that by the book, its an intentional foul. What you didn't mention is that the ref STANDING RIGHT THERE where the foul took place actually stepped towards the two and said something before he made the call ... some kind of warning, I assume. And then a couple seconds later, called the intentional foul.
Old 03-26-17, 12:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
Damn shame the coach ordered his player to make that intentional foul. Saw it in person with my own two eyes.
Damn shame your hatred for Moeller is so strong that you came to the game tonight just to cheer against them. To top it off, you hurry home and post on Yappi about how the Moeller coaching staff, who got your buddy Scott Martin fired because he couldn't beat them, is to blame for what was a pathetic intentional foul call by a pathetic officiating crew.
Old 03-26-17, 01:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Damn shame your hatred for Moeller is so strong that you came to the game tonight just to cheer against them. To top it off, you hurry home and post on Yappi about how the Moeller coaching staff, who got your buddy Scott Martin fired because he couldn't beat them, is to blame for what was a pathetic intentional foul call by a pathetic officiating crew.
Posting nothing but facts fella.
Old 03-26-17, 01:11 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Posting nothing but facts fella.

You're posting nothing but your typical anti-Moeller rhetoric. You should be using your time more productively...maybe by trying to find a job for you and your boy Scott?
Old 03-26-17, 05:02 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe the ref wouldnít have called it if Kremer hadnít been complaining and whining to the refs all game.
Per WHBC and Q92 broadcasts, Kremer ran up to the refs right after this and they wouldn't even speak to him. Whatever he wanted, the refs had no interest in talking to him at all. Maybe he spent his capital. They were pissed about something, that's for sure!

Still laughing about the "cost Moeller a championship" crap in here. How does a team that never led after the first quarter get robbed? Best case scenario for Moeller is if you take away the Young foul, you get to go to OT. 2.8 seconds left? C'mon. Jackson could have easily won it in the overtime period too. Fact is, a township school with a talent pool of 40,000 beat a private school with a talent pool of over a million. Too bad!
Old 03-26-17, 07:26 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Jwuerth, what a worthless post.
Old 03-26-17, 07:30 AM
All Region

The pool on the roof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Made my weekend!
Old 03-26-17, 07:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Per WHBC and Q92 broadcasts, Kremer ran up to the refs right after this and they wouldn't even speak to him. Whatever he wanted, the refs had no interest in talking to him at all. Maybe he spent his capital. They were pissed about something, that's for sure!

Still laughing about the "cost Moeller a championship" crap in here. How does a team that never led after the first quarter get robbed? Best case scenario for Moeller is if you take away the Young foul, you get to go to OT. 2.8 seconds left? C'mon. Jackson could have easily won it in the overtime period too. Fact is, a township school with a talent pool of 40,000 beat a private school with a talent pool of over a million. Too bad!
Yep, they had listened to him and moan all game and probably had zero interest in listening to it anymore. And you are right, it sure didn't "cost" them the game but I'm glad they made the correct call.
Old 03-26-17, 08:21 AM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
On the play above it was very clear the baseline ref spoke to Canter when he first made contact on Hill. The assumption would be he was warned but did not stop so he was called for the intentional foul as he pushed him off the court. I also saw Moeller's coach talking with officials after the call. BY the rule, the correct call in my opinion.
Old 03-26-17, 08:42 AM
Freshman

Carolina Blue is on a distinguished road
You can't stick your chest out and drive another player right out of bounds like you're on a blocking sled. You can't do that. That's a foul !!! I was there. The official warned the kid from Moeller. I agree with the strategy to foul Hill but you just can't push a guy out of bounds like that.

I said this in another post... Moeller shot more foul shots than Jackson. Moeller was out rebounded. Jackson turned the ball over more times than Moeller. Moeller only hit 2 3's last night. Not to mention the game was played at Moellers pace. Yet SOME Moeller fans want to blame it on officiating. It was a great game. Nerve wracking game. Jackson beat Moeller at their own game. Give them credit.
Old 03-26-17, 08:56 AM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com...ntional-fouls/

Correct interpretation of rule!
Old 03-26-17, 08:58 AM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You can't stick your chest out and drive another player right out of bounds like you're on a blocking sled. You can't do that. That's a foul !!! I was there. The official warned the kid from Moeller. I agree with the strategy to foul Hill but you just can't push a guy out of bounds like that.

I said this in another post... Moeller shot more foul shots than Jackson. Moeller was out rebounded. Jackson turned the ball over more times than Moeller. Moeller only hit 2 3's last night. Not to mention the game was played at Moellers pace. Yet SOME Moeller fans want to blame it on officiating. It was a great game. Nerve wracking game. Jackson beat Moeller at their own game. Give them credit.
^^^THIS!^^^^
Truth bomb
Old 03-26-17, 10:08 AM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Didn't know the rule interpretation (would they call that intentional at another part of the game?), but I agree with how it was called. NBA is a farce with what they allow.

Interestingly, Moeller-LaSalle had a similar situation where LaSalle cut the lead to 3 in the final minute and got called for an intentional/technical before a ball was inbounded.
Old 03-26-17, 10:53 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Apparently it was a call that could have gone either way depending on your view or emotions. Tough way to lose.
Old 03-26-17, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
The charging call earlier complain about that.
Old 03-26-17, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Apparently it was a call that could have gone either way depending on your view or emotions. ..............
Yep; them's the breaks, not a conspiracy , not ref bias.
Old 03-26-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Didn't see the play, but I don't like the tactic (not necessarily criticizing the coach..you do what you can get away with). I would prefer an interpretation of the rule that highly discourages fouling someone, late in the game, who doesn't have the ball.
Old 03-26-17, 11:44 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Apparently it was a call that could have gone either way depending on your view or emotions. Tough way to lose.
Had zero to do with a view or an emotion. Had everything to do with the rule. Black and white, intentional foul.
Old 03-26-17, 11:48 AM
All World

tucker
moe dude, it could only go one way once the ref warned him. gcl schools r spoiled by their referees who call their games different than they do other leagues. if they don't they won't get gcl games.
Old 03-26-17, 11:52 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStanley View Post
Didn't know the rule interpretation (would they call that intentional at another part of the game?), but I agree with how it was called. NBA is a farce with what they allow.

Interestingly, Moeller-LaSalle had a similar situation where LaSalle cut the lead to 3 in the final minute and got called for an intentional/technical before a ball was inbounded.
I've seen in the NBA where they would literally jump on Deandre Jordan's back to put him on the line. In a way, I don't which is the better view; to allow the foul to be a regular foul and be done with it (This makes sense, because the coach of the team that is in front could always put his best FT shooters on the floor); or to make it intentional (This makes sense, too. But in a way you are allowing the team in the lead to not to have to make adjustments). IMO, it would probably be best to just treat it as a foul. If you can foul the guy who has the ball and not have that be intentional (even though it is!), then why can't you foul any other person on the floor as well and have it treated the same way. If you are a fan of strategy, then let it be a regular foul. The team's head coach has the chance to switch out offense for defense (or in this case, rotate in FT shooters). If a guy can't shoot free throws and is on the floor at crunch time, should the rules protect him?
Old 03-26-17, 11:55 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Jackson was the better team. Like someone posted, even with their crap, slow it down nonsense, they still could not beat Jackson.
Old 03-26-17, 12:03 PM
Freshman

maravich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker View Post
moe dude, it could only go one way once the ref warned him. gcl schools r spoiled by their referees who call their games different than they do other leagues. if they don't they won't get gcl games.
Bingo! No doubt about it.
Old 03-26-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker View Post
What directives are given to GCL refs?
Old 03-26-17, 12:36 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
One could argue if Moeller had made 2 of their missed FTs, they wouldn't have needed to foul at all. Free throws win ballgames as they did in this one.
Old 03-26-17, 01:03 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Late game fouls that are on purpose usually masquerade as a reach for the ball, a hand check, or whatever else that is at least within the scope of a basketball play. The radio broadcast I was listening to was puzzled, but thanks to this post I know, they got it right. Nobody would try and accumulate fouls in 1st Qtr to do this.... but a guy 1+ pass removed would be textbook intentional foul
Old 03-26-17, 01:07 PM
All Region

dadXgtm is on a distinguished road
If I was the Ref and Kremer comes on the floor starts flapping his lip after the intentional foul call, I tell him to be quiet and return to the bench. If he doesn't shut up right then and there and leave the floor immediately, I give him a big 'T'.
Old 03-26-17, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
WoW!

:>---

Scrambled eggs: Slang The gold braid worn on the bill of the cap of a field-
grade officer in the armed services.