Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-29-17, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I doubt the separation will happen. Too many Ohio judges and state reps went to private schools. This competitive balance will help.
The fact that the rank and file will never vote for it is probably a factor too.
Old 03-29-17, 09:57 PM
Freshman

Basketball123! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
Another reason that AAU sucks.
Again, another Yappi Poster that knows ZERO about hoops. AAU is where kids going to college get their scholarship offers. Most if not ALL kids offered a scholarship play for Shoe Companies whose players get to play in front of college coaches from grades 10-12 in every tournament they participate in from April-July in all the open periods.

AAU is where players are being seen - not during their HS games.

"AAU Sucks" statement shows you are 100% clueless about the impact aau has. AAU experience is all about who your coach is, regardless of the club. Sure AAU can be ball chasing layup making events, on the other hand College Coaches want to see what a player can do versus top talent in the country.

The more some of you talk, the more you prove you know nothing about the game!
Old 03-29-17, 10:32 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neohiohoops View Post
You know "NOTHING" about basketball!!

You don't win HS basketball games by rolling out the ball.

If you don't have spacing (harder than said), a press breaker, ways to create TO's, team D playing on a string, shut down leading scorers, force players 3-5 to beat you, team discipline.....doesn't matter how much talent you have. ie. Lorain 2015, Cleveland Hts. 2016-2017

Go act like you know a lot about basketball at your suburban league game
Didn't Lorain 2015 and Heights 2016-2017 "win (a lot) of HS basketball games?" What were their records?
Old 03-29-17, 10:50 PM
Freshman

neohiohoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Didn't Lorain 2015 and Heights 2016-2017 "win (a lot) of HS basketball games?" What were their records?
Lol, winning a lot of games in your conference means zilch. Lorain lost in the the Regionals to Eds and Cleveland Hts. never made it out of Districts.

No teams were more loaded than these 2 teams with talent, size, speed - and they sputtered out well before Columbus.

Coaching matters regardless of talent!!!!! That was the point
Old 03-30-17, 07:56 AM
Varsity

tmajic is on a distinguished road
neohiohoops "I have news for you, a Coach doesn't develop a player! It's the player who is driven to relentlessly get better and more than likely, his Dad knew what it took to make him a player. It's almost NEVER the HS coach!"

Amen! The coach may develop a program where the kids want to relentlessly get better, but your statement in my opinion is absolutely correct. Coaches win with talent. They can make decisions during games that will win them an extra game or two during the year but realistically the players' talent determines the outcome. Again, my opinion.
Old 03-30-17, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
.... Who else has been to CBUS 4 times in the last 20 years from NE Ohio? Mentor comes 2nd closest is my guess.

FYI

Final-4... NEO... D-1... 20 years... 1998...
S = State Champions
R = State Runner-up

Lakewood St.Edward (8) Final-4s
~ 1998(S), 2002, 2007, 2008(R), 2012, 2014(S), 2015, 2017

Canton McKinley (5) Final-4s
~ 1998, 2002, 2004, 2005(S), 2006(S) <==== Note last D-1 Back-to-Back State Champion

Mas.Jackson (3) Final-4s
~ 2001, 2010(S), 2017(S)

Garfield Hgts. (3) Final-4s
~ 2011, 2015, 2016

Mentor (2) Final-4s
~ 2010, 2013(S)

Warren Harding (2) Final-4s
~ 2007, 2009

Clv. St.Ignatius (2) Final-4s
~ 1998(R), 2001(S)

Cleveland Hgts. (1) Final-4
~ 2003

Clv. East Tech (1) Final-4
~ 2014

Boardman (1) Final-4
~ 2006

Bedford (1) Final-4
~ 2000(R)

Shaker Hgts. (1) Final-4
~ 1999(R)

:>---

Working on D-2, D-3, D-4

Disclaimer: I hope I didn't miss any.
Old 03-30-17, 10:03 PM
Junior Varsity

EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
FYI

Final-4... NEO... D-1... 20 years... 1998...
S = State Champions
R = State Runner-up

Lakewood St.Edward (8) Final-4s
~ 1998(S), 2002, 2007, 2008(R), 2012, 2014(S), 2015, 2017

Canton McKinley (5) Final-4s
~ 1998, 2002, 2004, 2005(S), 2006(S) <==== Note last D-1 Back-to-Back State Champion

Mas.Jackson (3) Final-4s
~ 2001, 2010(S), 2017(S)

Garfield Hgts. (3) Final-4s
~ 2011, 2015, 2016

Mentor (2) Final-4s
~ 2010, 2013(S)

Warren Harding (2) Final-4s
~ 2007, 2009

Clv. St.Ignatius (2) Final-4s
~ 1998(R), 2001(S)

Cleveland Hgts. (1) Final-4
~ 2003

Clv. East Tech (1) Final-4
~ 2014

Boardman (1) Final-4
~ 2006

Bedford (1) Final-4
~ 2000(R)

Shaker Hgts. (1) Final-4
~ 1999(R)

:>---

Working on D-2, D-3, D-4

Disclaimer: I hope I didn't miss any.
Flannery has had Ed's there 10 times, not sure if that was in last 20 years but it was 10 times.
Old 03-31-17, 08:37 AM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
no matter what side of the argument you're on, or eve if you're on neither, a team with 6 transfers and kids from both sides of Cleveland winning in d4 is making an absolute mockery of the system and rules.
Old 03-31-17, 04:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Lol, winning a lot of games in your conference means zilch. Lorain lost in the the Regionals to Eds and Cleveland Hts. never made it out of Districts.

No teams were more loaded than these 2 teams with talent, size, speed - and they sputtered out well before Columbus.

Coaching matters regardless of talent!!!!! That was the point
You said "you don't win basketball games" with talent alone. You said nothing of post season, you just said "win basketball games." One of the two teams you lambast went to the Sweet 16; the other posted a winning season against darn good competition.

And I'd highly doubt that either Lorain or Heighte was "more loaded" than any other team in Ohio. Garfield Heights? Westerville South? The list could go on. I mean, if they were so "loaded," how many D-1 offers went to their kids?

Settle down your emotions when you post and clearly enunciate and communicate what is on your mind, son. You are quickly becoming a laughingstock on this website.
Old 04-01-17, 10:39 AM
Varsity

sportsauthority101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
You said "you don't win basketball games" with talent alone. You said nothing of post season, you just said "win basketball games." One of the two teams you lambast went to the Sweet 16; the other posted a winning season against darn good competition.

And I'd highly doubt that either Lorain or Heighte was "more loaded" than any other team in Ohio. Garfield Heights? Westerville South? The list could go on. I mean, if they were so "loaded," how many D-1 offers went to their kids?

Settle down your emotions when you post and clearly enunciate and communicate what is on your mind, son. You are quickly becoming a laughingstock on this website.
You should heed your own advice sonny boy and read his post correctly before you spout off incorrectly. He referenced 2015 Lorain who had Andrews (?) brothers, Bohannan, and other big. Thats 2 D1 players and other brother would of been D1 if he had his head on right. You're the laughing stock

Getting to the Sweet 16 is not a huge accomplishment if your District is weak. Lorain 2015 had NO challenge in District. I think that's what NEOHoops meant.

Westerville South proves talent doesn't win, they were a mess. Their Coach couldn't get them to play together and they had no cohesiveness.
Old 04-02-17, 07:34 AM
All American

Minimize a D-1 Sweet 16 appearance?? I'm sure, then, that NEOHoops has several District Championship medals hanging from his basement wall. I know I speak on behalf of the entire Yappi Cyberworld that we all appreciate learning from the two of you (same person??) these past few weeks about how to build a winning basketball program.

Where are the Andrews brothers and Bohannon playing basketball in college?

How'd South do in 2015-16?

Last edited by Myron; 04-02-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 11:09 AM
Freshman

neohiohoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Andrews were D1 recruits and oldest got ride to Kent. Because they're not playing now as a result of their transgressions doesn't quite prove they weren't D1 talent then. Bohannan has a D1 offer.

I'm my own person "MYRON". Stick to your crying over public versus private as you lack indepth knowledge to be telling anyone about basketball. I'm finished with you now
Old 04-02-17, 01:09 PM
Junior Varsity

Chongo
Devon Andrews spent a redshirt year at Kent due to academics, then had to go the community college route at Pratt CC in Kansas, where he put up good numbers. His brother is said to be joining him there next year. Bohannon will be D1, and also has academic offers from ivy league schools.

http://gobeaversports.com/general/20...20170316i4k8p1
Old 04-03-17, 07:35 AM
Varsity

tmajic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You know "NOTHING" about basketball!!

You don't win HS basketball games by rolling out the ball.

If you don't have spacing (harder than said), a press breaker, ways to create TO's, team D playing on a string, shut down leading scorers, force players 3-5 to beat you, team discipline.....doesn't matter how much talent you have. ie. Lorain 2015, Cleveland Hts. 2016-2017

Go act like you know a lot about basketball at your suburban league game

Well, I am not going to get worked up about your comments. I have coached basketball for 30 years, and in various other sports for 25, so I am not offended. I stand by my comments that coaches win a vast majority of their games with talent. They will affect a game or 2 or 3 during the course of a season but talent wins. Again, that is my opinion. A system will only go so far (i.e. Gene Ford at Cambridge and Bob Von Kaenel at TV and Dover. Both great coaches that won a lot of games but their most talented teams made it to the state tourney.)
Old 04-03-17, 12:17 PM
All Ohio

dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajic View Post
Well, I am not going to get worked up about your comments. I have coached basketball for 30 years, and in various other sports for 25, so I am not offended. I stand by my comments that coaches win a vast majority of their games with talent. They will affect a game or 2 or 3 during the course of a season but talent wins. Again, that is my opinion. A system will only go so far (i.e. Gene Ford at Cambridge and Bob Von Kaenel at TV and Dover. Both great coaches that won a lot of games but their most talented teams made it to the state tourney.)
tmagic, its always jimmys and joes over Xs and Os in high school. Anybody who thinks differently needs to spend time with a coach that is trying to put a game plan together against a team who has far superior talent...but the only real way to win is for the opposing team to lay an egg, and that has nothing to do with coach of the inferior team...that's on the coach of the superior team not having his team ready.

This guy should take your word as the truth. Not many have been around as many high school wins as you...and as a winning coach, nobody would know more than you that talent and health will pay the bills a lot more often than good coaching.

The real problem is some people confuse a good coach with a good recruiter.
Old 04-03-17, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
no matter what side of the argument you're on, or eve if you're on neither, a team with 6 transfers and kids from both sides of Cleveland winning in d4 is making an absolute mockery of the system and rules.
This!
Old 04-04-17, 10:30 PM
All American

Excuse my intervening here, as I lack the in depth knowledge to be telling anyone about basketball. That said, Well put, guys, over these last three postings.

And I still see no specifics about the Lorain trio having yet played a D-1 college game. Bohannon might be going D-1. For football...
Old 04-05-17, 05:20 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzSportsFan View Post
Flannery has had Ed's there 10 times, not sure if that was in last 20 years but it was 10 times.
The 8 was correct for his 20 year time-frame.

9 for Flannery as head coach. He was not head coach yet in 1996, though I seem to remember him doing much of the instruction during the semi-final game.
Old 04-06-17, 07:20 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball123! View Post
Again, another Yappi Poster that knows ZERO about hoops. AAU is where kids going to college get their scholarship offers. Most if not ALL kids offered a scholarship play for Shoe Companies whose players get to play in front of college coaches from grades 10-12 in every tournament they participate in from April-July in all the open periods.

AAU is where players are being seen - not during their HS games.

"AAU Sucks" statement shows you are 100% clueless about the impact aau has. AAU experience is all about who your coach is, regardless of the club. Sure AAU can be ball chasing layup making events, on the other hand College Coaches want to see what a player can do versus top talent in the country.

The more some of you talk, the more you prove you know nothing about the game!
AAU does have value and does help get exposure but it also does suck in many ways. Shoe companies only sponsor the elite of the elite. There are very few teams that get shoe money in each state but there are a ton of teams that have kids that earn scholarships. In Ohio, only OBC (Adidas), All Ohio (Nike) and C2K Elite (Under Armour) are sponsored by shoe companies. There are plenty of good programs in Ohio that don't get shoe money (too many to try to name them all) and still help their kids earn scholarships. Now the teams with shoe money will have more scholarship players per team getting offers but most years 50-100 kids from Ohio get basketball scholarships. Most of those kids don't play for teams that get shoe money. Also, I know many college coaches that share my opinion on how bad AAU sucks. In most college coaches eyes, AAU is a necessary evil.
Old 04-06-17, 09:05 PM
All District

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
Yep, complete joke.
Old 04-06-17, 11:44 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
No offense LE was not that good. It was not like they ran roughshod over the whole tournament and blew teams out. In fact Malvern had them beat. They missed a baseline layup and two or three tip ins at the buzzer in regulation that would have knocked off LE. They ended up losing in OT.
Old 04-07-17, 07:26 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
No offense LE was not that good. It was not like they ran roughshod over the whole tournament and blew teams out. In fact Malvern had them beat. They missed a baseline layup and two or three tip ins at the buzzer in regulation that would have knocked off LE. They ended up losing in OT.
Irrelevant whether they were good or not. The way the team was put together, again, was a mockery of the system. Period. This practice can continue into the future to create all star teams that will dominate. Sad.
Old 04-13-17, 07:04 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 Acacia Ave View Post
Irrelevant whether they were good or not. The way the team was put together, again, was a mockery of the system. Period. This practice can continue into the future to create all star teams that will dominate. Sad.
It's completely relevant. Had they not made the tourney run, you wouldn't be this mad about it.
Old 04-13-17, 11:24 AM
All District

trojandave is on a distinguished road
AAU definitely has a huge impact on kids getting their foot in the college scholarship door. I do know for a fact, though, that Kyre Allison of Portsmouth is playing at Marshall University not only for his AAU affiliation, but also because there were MU coaches who came to a good number of Portsmouth home games. I don't really know which carries more weight, but coaches do go to HS games as part of their evaluation process.
Old 04-13-17, 01:17 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
I think AAU is simultaneously corrupt and serves a good purpose.

You have to separate the top of the AAU food chain from what is below it. Below it is some really good people who are trying to get kids into DII and III situations that will help them get an education. On the top of it, I am really uncomfortable with what AAU does. It is about the individual player getting a major DI scholarship to a major program, and there are all kinds of seedy aspects to how that gets done. I have sensed a "meat market" and a "me-first" mentality in it, and I think some of the seedier aspects of it affect HS programs that attract/recruit those players onto their teams.

You get players with a ton of talent accumulating on a particular HS team, and that talent can help them be very successful in HS where they usually have a talent advantage, but when they get to big time college ball, they may experience problems with not having their off-the-court-issues ignored and realizing that the playing field gets evened out in terms of talent.

Top 10-20 HS AAU talent usually do pretty well in college, and many of them make an appearance at least in the pros, but a handful don't make it at either level, and those kids just outside of that elite group are given the impression that they can make it big through their AAU experiences and through playing with other high level AAU players on a HS team, but many of them don't, and are victims of false impressions.

To the degree that AAU prepares top level kids to go to college for at least a year and then to the NBA, that has to be considered a success. To the degree that AAU allows kids an opportunity to earn a degree, then that also has to be considered a success. But to the degree that AAU encourages kids to think they are going to be able to make a great living at playing basketball without a degree, then that is a major failure. I think there are many more kids in the failure category than the success category, but the successes are pretty spectacular.

But my gut tells me that AAU is a net negative in HS sports because of the attitudes it tends to create, and the competitive imbalance it causes, when summer teammates want to be winter teammates.
Old 04-13-17, 03:27 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I think AAU is simultaneously corrupt and serves a good purpose.

You have to separate the top of the AAU food chain from what is below it. Below it is some really good people who are trying to get kids into DII and III situations that will help them get an education. On the top of it, I am really uncomfortable with what AAU does. It is about the individual player getting a major DI scholarship to a major program, and there are all kinds of seedy aspects to how that gets done. I have sensed a "meat market" and a "me-first" mentality in it, and I think some of the seedier aspects of it affect HS programs that attract/recruit those players onto their teams.

You get players with a ton of talent accumulating on a particular HS team, and that talent can help them be very successful in HS where they usually have a talent advantage, but when they get to big time college ball, they may experience problems with not having their off-the-court-issues ignored and realizing that the playing field gets evened out in terms of talent.

Top 10-20 HS AAU talent usually do pretty well in college, and many of them make an appearance at least in the pros, but a handful don't make it at either level, and those kids just outside of that elite group are given the impression that they can make it big through their AAU experiences and through playing with other high level AAU players on a HS team, but many of them don't, and are victims of false impressions.

To the degree that AAU prepares top level kids to go to college for at least a year and then to the NBA, that has to be considered a success. To the degree that AAU allows kids an opportunity to earn a degree, then that also has to be considered a success. But to the degree that AAU encourages kids to think they are going to be able to make a great living at playing basketball without a degree, then that is a major failure. I think there are many more kids in the failure category than the success category, but the successes are pretty spectacular.

But my gut tells me that AAU is a net negative in HS sports because of the attitudes it tends to create, and the competitive imbalance it causes, when summer teammates want to be winter teammates.
We have made where summer teammates (kids) wanting to become winter teammates (those same kids) and we want to limit that for whatever reasons that are constantly named & that isn't great either. I said it before, this is a time where families have more options than ever educationally, why limit that in sports? It's usually a divide not between country vs urban/suburban.... not public vs private. It often becomes seasonal athletes vs mostly year round guys.
Old 04-20-17, 12:49 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
We have made where summer teammates (kids) wanting to become winter teammates (those same kids) and we want to limit that for whatever reasons that are constantly named & that isn't great either. I said it before, this is a time where families have more options than ever educationally, why limit that in sports? It's usually a divide not between country vs urban/suburban.... not public vs private. It often becomes seasonal athletes vs mostly year round guys.
I agree with you that it is more of a rural/urban situation.

Where you went wrong is that I'm not for keeping summer teammates from being winter teammates. Heck, if 10 players from the same elite AAU team want to enroll at St. Weball, then God bless them. I want them to be able to do that. However, I just want St Weball to play for a Division I championship, not a Division III or IV championship. That's the part of this you missed.
Old 04-20-17, 09:10 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I agree with you that it is more of a rural/urban situation.

Where you went wrong is that I'm not for keeping summer teammates from being winter teammates. Heck, if 10 players from the same elite AAU team want to enroll at St. Weball, then God bless them. I want them to be able to do that. However, I just want St Weball to play for a Division I championship, not a Division III or IV championship. That's the part of this you missed.
The greatest basketball player walking the earth right now took this approach, and it wasn't that the division 3 tournament field appeared favorable to run rough shod, but that the group would play early.... other members of the state championship team would've been held to sub-varsity teams. It's fine the way it is, and really in the St V situation 1999-2003 what would've moved them up? They enrolled as freshman (except Travis) stayed all 4 years, all lived within a section of a city, so you'd want them moved up because they are talented group?

This is an ugly scent for the OHSAA and the people that make up member schools. I think eligibility should mirror that of the NCAA it cannot and is not established until day 1 of the 9th grade. As long as coaching staffs or schools aren't arranging good players to team with other good players (& it's left to families) I'm ok with it. This ordeal has HEAVY racial undertones. What I respect about the best basketball program in your league, they play or have played during championship yrs, any and all comers & were fairly successful. You'll point to 1 kid, who wasn't happy with the commitment level of his original school, so went to a place that took the game as seriously as he did. I don't think that there's a wide gap a lot of times but it's level of commitment which could mean a lot of things that often separates.
Old 04-21-17, 09:58 AM
All District

Quote:
The greatest basketball player walking the earth right now took this approach, and it wasn't that the division 3 tournament field appeared favorable to run rough shod, but that the group would play early.... other members of the state championship team would've been held to sub-varsity teams. It's fine the way it is, and really in the St V situation 1999-2003 what would've moved them up? They enrolled as freshman (except Travis) stayed all 4 years, all lived within a section of a city, so you'd want them moved up because they are talented group?
Is this how team transfer, Lutheran East did it?

Quote:
This is an ugly scent for the OHSAA and the people that make up member schools.
Well, you are obviously completely biased.

Quote:
This ordeal has HEAVY racial undertones.
Strawman!

Quote:
I don't think that there's a wide gap a lot of times but it's level of commitment which could mean a lot of things that often separates.
Right. It's about athletes, not commitment in most cases. Stop while you're behind.
Old 04-24-17, 10:17 AM
All District

Quote:

This is an ugly scent for the OHSAA and the people that make up member schools. I think eligibility should mirror that of the NCAA it cannot and is not established until day 1 of the 9th grade. As long as coaching staffs or schools aren't arranging good players to team with other good players (& it's left to families) I'm ok with it. This ordeal has HEAVY racial undertones. What I respect about the best basketball program in your league, they play or have played during championship yrs, any and all comers & were fairly successful. You'll point to 1 kid, who wasn't happy with the commitment level of his original school, so went to a place that took the game as seriously as he did. I don't think that there's a wide gap a lot of times but it's level of commitment which could mean a lot of things that often separates.
Well, the SVSM situation with Lebron, if you are accurate (I don't know, and don't really care; I'll assume you are right) wouldn't affect the competitive balance approach the OHSAA is taking. When that team congregated wouldn't have been a factor, but where they came from (in relation to the public school boundaries SVSM is in) is what would have mattered.

And this is why I say that it doesn't matter how MANY transfers you get, only the quality of those transfers and the quality of the team they are transferring to. Lebron could have transferred to the worst team in the state, and they would have become final four contenders. Lol.

I agree with the idea that as long as HS coaches/admins aren't orchestrating who plays where, offering incentives, etc. that it's fine for players and parents to be behind it. IOW, if the 5 best players in Cle decide they want to play for VASJ, then more power to them. However, I want VASJ to play for a DI state championship in that case, not a DIII or IV championship. That's all I'm saying.

"Heavy racial overtones" is a loaded phrase, but I understand why you think that. The best players in an urban area tend to be black kids, and so a lot of these competitive balance problems people cite tend to involve those kinds of kids. However, this is why I have cited the transfer of a 6-7 white kid to a roster of already talented and big white kids at my rural local public school 6 years ago as a clear example of how the quality of one player transferring affects competitive balance. That school won 2 DIV state championships with that one transfer. And so, this is why I would assert that this isn't racial, with me at least, even tho I see how one could assume that.

I would suggest we take urban vs. rural, race, private vs. public, and all of that out of the discussion - and asked one simple question. What is the cause of competitive imbalance? The answer is very talented transfers who go to a smaller enrollment school, and create a situation where the talent level of that team is much higher than the division the school is assigned based on enrollment. If I am correct on that, then the solution to competitive imbalance has to be directed at each major aspect of the problem. Anything that introduces any other factor into it is just a distraction.