Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-30-17, 09:23 AM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Who will not look back at high school "with no great feeling of emptiness"? Those that are playing on their club team in lieu of their high school team? How can you state that they will not have any feelings of emptiness? How do you know what they will feel?

Don't underestimate the experience that kids get from playing for their high school. Aside from the social aspect there are a lot of life lessons from the high school experience. Those lessons and experiences will serve the kids a lot longer in life than any lesson that they'll get from playing club soccer. The playing career for the vast majority of players ends after high school. For those that move on to play in college most will end their playing days, aside from possibly playing in an adult rec league, after college. The benefit that they get from forgoing high school soccer will be negligible. I would even argue that the benefits of playing high school soccer for that small amount of time will far outweigh any benefit that playing club soccer exclusively will bring. Those benefits are not about soccer but, rather, the more important game of life.

I think that the way this entire situation is unfolding in the Cincinnati market is rather ironic. Years ago, when Bill Posey was president of Sycamore Arsenal and CUP, he made comments about the sanctity of the high school experience. There was an article published in the Cincinnati Enquirer about another club in Cincinnati that offered an alternative to high school soccer (If I can locate the article I will link to it). I don't believe that Posey was critical of the other club but I seem to remember that he was critical of the club experience being promoted over the high school experience. I appreciate that viewpoint and agree with it. The irony of this, though, is that the club Posey once led will soon, in conjunction with KHA, begin discouraging kids from participating in high school soccer. Times sure have changed.

With all of that said, I do believe that it is important for clubs to offer an alternative to high school soccer. There are many reasons that kids may not want to play for their high school and they should have an option to do that. Many of reasons are good and some of them are not so good. For a club to insist that its players give up high school soccer, though, is not one of the good reasons. For most kids it will end up being a mistake.
Dude, you're clearly way over-invested in the high school aspect. I've talked to some families that are comfortable with their decision. It is what it is. Move on.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-17, 10:32 AM
All Region

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
Is a team of all stars from all over the Tri State at a pricey private school really playing for your community though? I am not coming down on either side of this argument, just a question for discussion. I totally get the playing for your community, town, area etc, I would not give that up or advocate a kid to do that but that is just me. But if you are going to play for SUA, SCD, MND, etc does it really mean that much to play DA instead? They can find other players in a NY minute. A small town and most HS's can't replace the legendary player or maybe once in a lifetime group of players, etc. I don't have the answer, and have to agree with it is a family decision.
Old 03-30-17, 10:38 AM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
Dude, you're clearly way over-invested in the high school aspect. I've talked to some families that are comfortable with their decision. It is what it is. Move on.
Ya way over romanticized. Some kids don't play high school sports of any kind. There are a myriad of ways to be involved with your school and community. Are they deprived of these precious life lessons?

Of course not. I played high school sports... I use literally none of it now. There isn't a single lesson there that wasn't brought home in a more serious and poignant way by just living.

High school soccer will still exist. Some kids will choose to test themselves in soccer regardless of the future outcome. There's more than enough room for both.
Old 03-30-17, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
lets face it as moms dads aunts and uncles heck who are we to say whats over invested or over romanticized. i do agree it will all work out and these kids got some tough decisions to make for the few this will impact. monroe is a small community and school and i think there is a lot of pride involved but if you are gonna talk private schools then i guess they have pride as well. i was tryin to think of this like basketball ive never been to an aau game but ive seen a ton of hs games.
Old 03-30-17, 02:45 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, it's too bad that your Little Suzy's high school experience wasn't all that it could have been. Also, Dude, your reading comprehension must lag a bit. Did you not comprehend what I wrote? I clearly stated that kids should have an option to not play high school soccer if that is what they choose. Having an option of not playing high school soccer is different than being told that playing high school soccer is not permitted.

It's funny that when some thought one club was discouraging its players from playing high school soccer that club was bagged on. Now, when the GDA in Cincinnati has come out and clearly stated that playing high school soccer isn't permitted, those same critics became apologists. Keep drinking the koolaid.

Last edited by Rohbino; 03-30-17 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-30-17, 05:55 PM
Freshman

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
Playing HS soccer can be a very rewarding experience for many players - I would not let my kid play for the GDA for that reason. It's the social connection and school spirit thing that you can't get from club soccer. Every situation is different though so your mileage will vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-17, 08:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Dude, it's too bad that your Little Suzy's high school experience wasn't all that it could have been. Also, Dude, your reading comprehension must lag a bit. Did you not comprehend what I wrote? I clearly stated that kids should have an option to not play high school soccer if that is what they choose. Having an option of not playing high school soccer is different than being told that playing high school soccer is not permitted.

It's funny that when some thought one club was discouraging its players from playing high school soccer that club was bagged on. Now, when the GDA in Cincinnati has come out and clearly stated that playing high school soccer isn't permitted, those same critics became apologists. Keep drinking the koolaid.
Dude, slow your roll. You're so raged out your comprehension has lagged out. My daughter will play HS for the exact reasons listed. She loves that side of sports. I also know kids and families who lean the other way. And more importantly there are options. If you don't need HS ball and have the skill, go play DA. If HS is important, and you can play at that level, go play ECNL (My Suzie does).

It's great that the Cinci market has such a dearth of talent that it can support both mediums. Relax and quit freaking everytime someone mentions that not playing HS is ok.
Old 03-30-17, 09:39 PM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, slow your roll. You're so raged out your comprehension has lagged out. My daughter will play HS for the exact reasons listed. She loves that side of sports. I also know kids and families who lean the other way. And more importantly there are options. If you don't need HS ball and have the skill, go play DA. If HS is important, and you can play at that level, go play ECNL (My Suzie does).

It's great that the Cinci market has such a dearth of talent that it can support both mediums. Relax and quit freaking everytime someone mentions that not playing HS is ok.
Excellent post!
Old 03-31-17, 03:30 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It's great that the Cinci market has such a dearth of talent that it can support both mediums.
Are you sure that "dearth" was the noun that you wanted to use? Perhaps abundance or surfeit would have been better choices and conveyed what it was that you really meant to convey, Dude.

Now, isn't this thread supposed to be about the best high school player in Ohio? Is that the best high school-aged player that actually played high school soccer or are high school-aged players that chose to play club soccer instead also included?
Old 03-31-17, 05:29 AM
All District

Thank you for the correction Roh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: