Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-21-17, 02:12 PM
Freshman

Pele is on a distinguished road
Best High School Player Ohio

Who is the Best High School player from Ohio that you ever saw play?

Not in any particular order:

Michelle Neff-Strongsville
Sandra Yu-Walsh
Heather Mitts-St. Ursula
Amber Silvis-Western Brown
Victoria Huster-St. Ursula
Katie Markesberry-Injun Hill
Liz Burchanal-St.Ursula
Rose Lavelle-Mount Notre Dame
Rose Augustin-Walsh
Malia Berkely-Badin
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 03:29 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
A very subjective topic though I would proffer a few more for consideration:

Ashley Meier - Strongsville

Keri Sarver - Mass Jackson
Old 03-21-17, 06:40 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
A very subjective topic though I would proffer a few more for consideration:

Ashley Meier - Strongsville

Keri Sarver - Mass Jackson
Great articles! Where did these ladies go to High School. Were you able to see them play? How did they do?
Old 03-22-17, 08:56 AM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post

Sandra Yu-Walsh
Heather Mitts-St. Ursula
Liz Burchanal-St.Ursula
Rose Augustin-Walsh
Malia Berkely-Badin
How far back do you want to go? This list is woefully incomplete if you are talking all-time in Ohio. I can think of kids all over Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus that are missing from the list, but I am guessing most following this list haven't been around long enough to remember some of the great teams from St. Ursula (Heather Mitts wasn't the only great player from there), McAuley (Danielle Borgman?), Glen Este (Tara Riffle?), Milford (Carri Sellers?), Lakota (Carrie Staber?)Fairfield(Sheri Bueter?), Badin (there were a lot of great players prior to Malia, Megan McKnight?), Centerville, Alter (Missy Gregg?)

I am missing a TON on this list and probably doing a disservice to some really great players.
Old 03-22-17, 10:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Great articles! Where did these ladies go to High School. Were you able to see them play? How did they do?
Ashley Meier attended Strongsville HS & Keri Sarver attended Massillon Jackson.

In keeping to your thread constraints, I limited myself to those that I saw play in high school. Keri played quite awhile ago having graduated from Jackson in 1995 (and as evidenced by the funny looking uniforms when she played at Maryland that can be seen in the article that I linked to). When I was a senior in high school I believe she was a freshman. I saw her play in her later years and I would say that, yes, she was one of the better high school players I had seen play. She made a huge impact at Maryland as well. I saw her play more in college than in high school and her game continued to grow a lot. What sets Keri apart in her adult life is how much she has given back to the game. That article that I linked to gives a sense of that.

I saw Ashley play more in high school, and after high school, than I did Keri. She played at a different level in high school and, I don't intend to insult the ladies here, she plays like a guy. That isn't surprising given that she played club soccer, with the Cleveland Whitecaps, with the guys. When she was a senior at Strongsville she was the NSCAA National HS POY. Danielle Hubka, another player that I probably could have included here and another Maryland standout, was teammates with Meier at Strongsville for a season. If Ashley were a few years older one could only imagine the state championships those two could have won. In Meier's freshman year they played against Cinci SUA for the state title and dominated the game but just couldn't finish. SUA won 1-0 with what I believe was the only SOG that they had the entire game. The Mustangs did put one in but a controversial offside call took it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
How far back do you want to go? This list is woefully incomplete if you are talking all-time in Ohio.

I am missing a TON on this list and probably doing a disservice to some really great players.
I'm pretty sure Pele just intended the list to be players that were seen playing soccer. As he stated: Who is the best high school player from Ohio that you ever saw play?"
Old 03-22-17, 11:01 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Ashley Meier attended Strongsville HS & Keri Sarver attended Massillon Jackson.

In keeping to your thread constraints, I limited myself to those that I saw play in high school. Keri played quite awhile ago having graduated from Jackson in 1995 (and as evidenced by the funny looking uniforms when she played at Maryland that can be seen in the article that I linked to). When I was a senior in high school I believe she was a freshman. I saw her play in her later years and I would say that, yes, she was one of the better high school players I had seen play. She made a huge impact at Maryland as well. I saw her play more in college than in high school and her game continued to grow a lot. What sets Keri apart in her adult life is how much she has given back to the game. That article that I linked to gives a sense of that.

I saw Ashley play more in high school, and after high school, than I did Keri. She played at a different level in high school and, I don't intend to insult the ladies here, she plays like a guy. That isn't surprising given that she played club soccer, with the Cleveland Whitecaps, with the guys. When she was a senior at Strongsville she was the NSCAA National HS POY. Danielle Hubka, another player that I probably could have included here and another Maryland standout, was teammates with Meier at Strongsville for a season. If Ashley were a few years older one could only imagine the state championships those two could have won. In Meier's freshman year they played against Cinci SUA for the state title and dominated the game but just couldn't finish. SUA won 1-0 with what I believe was the only SOG that they had the entire game. The Mustangs did put one in but a controversial offside call took it away.

I'm pretty sure Pele just intended the list to be players that were seen playing soccer. As he stated: Who is the best high school player from Ohio that you ever saw play?"

I saw every one of those players mentioned play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-17, 11:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
I saw every one of those players mentioned play.

I don't doubt that you did see them play. I commented because you said that Pele's list is woefully incomplete. For Pele it might not be incomplete because those may have been the best Ohio high school players that he saw play.
Old 03-22-17, 12:39 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I don't doubt that you did see them play. I commented because you said that Pele's list is woefully incomplete. For Pele it might not be incomplete because those may have been the best Ohio high school players that he saw play.
Gotcha. True.
Old 03-23-17, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Lisa Nouanesengsy - Wayne
Old 03-23-17, 06:32 PM
Freshman

Rohbino,
Your'e right!
My list is of players that I saw play in High School. So I considered them the Best Players compared to other High School players at their time. Some still play today in College or Pro but I don't get to see them often.
Ashley was a Great Player for the Hokies! Was able to see her play a few years ago in Charlottesville. And Danielle Borgman won a couple National Championships with UNC.
Over the last 30-40 years there have been a wide range of excellent women soccer players from Ohio and its only gotten better. I'm not sure if High School will last with all the new leagues and club commitments.
I would have liked to seen some of the players Gr8tsoccer mentioned!
Old 03-24-17, 08:18 AM
Varsity

Fleeced is on a distinguished road
Unless a player being discussed was at one time considered to be the best in her state, this thread is useless.
Old 03-24-17, 08:29 AM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeced View Post
Unless a player being discussed was at one time considered to be the best in her state, this thread is useless.
Somewhere around here there is a quaint little bridge, literally covered in Billy goats.
Old 03-25-17, 04:32 PM
Varsity

soccer21stcentury is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sandra Yu-Walsh
Heather Mitts-St. Ursula
Liz Burchanal-St.Ursula
Rose Augustin-Walsh
Malia Berkely-Badin

Wow! St. Ursula use to have some really good players!
Old 03-26-17, 01:26 PM
All District

fluffernut is on a distinguished road
Top notch list of players. I, too, would add Missy Gregg, as well as Reba Sedlacek (Badin), Kristen Weiss (Walsh), Kayla Lockaby (Ross), Parissa Eyorokon (Lakota East?)...... I'm sure I'll think of others, but what a great group!
Old 03-27-17, 03:42 PM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Best Walsh player I ever saw was Christen Westphal (2012 grad), who went on to play for Florida - http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx...18&path=soccer
Old 03-27-17, 04:15 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
The sad thing in all of this?

The CUP/KHA players who have been brained washed into thinking they will make the USWNT are going to miss out on some of the best memories of High school.

What a cruel way to treat a kid.

High school soccer is a very valuable part of the development of young ladies in every aspect of life.

It will also define certain players and even though the soccer at times is not that great will push them with confidence to the next level.

Old 03-27-17, 05:13 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post

The CUP/KHA players who have been brained washed into thinking they will make the USWNT are going to miss out on some of the best memories of High school.

High school soccer is a very valuable part of the development of young ladies in every aspect of life.

It will also define certain players and even though the soccer at times is not that great will push them with confidence to the next level.

1000% agree

Old 03-27-17, 08:34 PM
All District

Red Red is on a distinguished road
Best player would be Alyssa Rich, anyone that saw her play would agree. OE brass even put her on their sign. Milford coach had issues with her missing HS games to play with the National Team. Not a smart guy.

http://www.ohioelite.com/imgs/Facilities/IMG_0114.JPG
Old 03-28-17, 06:41 AM
Varsity

As long as that kid was considered the best in the state, then you can make an argument. So sick of parents thinking their kid is good, however the kid never achieves anything.
Old 03-28-17, 06:52 AM
All American

PantherDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As long as that kid was considered the best in the state, then you can make an argument. So sick of parents thinking their kid is good, however the kid never achieves anything.
You always talk about yourself?
Old 03-28-17, 07:39 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:

BucktoothedOne- Wake up. Kids are making decisions along with the parents. No brain washing at all. If so then how do you explain all the ones that you and others point out every tryout season that leave CUP. You guys just cant stand that there is alternative that appears to be better than the current options. Did you know that some ECNL clubs have a rule preventing their players from playing HS are you just as upset about that? While I dont like the rule but its a players choice if they want to play DA or not.
Old 03-28-17, 08:45 AM
All World

Quote:

Imagine a coach asking each player at a training session in front of the rest of the team HS or Not HS. Talk about cruel but I guess its a one way street right BuckToothedOne? https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.b3fc6f8a0563
Old 03-28-17, 09:33 AM
All World

Boca Players cant play High School nor for anyone else without written permission except the National team.

"To maintain a focus on training, Academy teams do not play in any other leagues, tournaments, State Cup competitions, ODP or All-Star events without written permission from Academy staff. Full-time Academy players can only participate on their designated Academy team, with only one exception: National Team duty. For the 2013-14 season, full-time Academy players for all teams must choose to participate in the Academy full-time and forgo playing for his high school team."
Old 03-28-17, 09:51 AM
All District

Red Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yep, she was ranked #1 in the state. Thus UNC giving her a full ride.
Old 03-28-17, 10:05 AM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
HS experience can be overrated. I know a CUP Gold family who was sent an email about the honor of playing for her school's JV before tryouts(That's the way I remember the chronology). I don't think they regret their decision.

I don't think any girl is foolish to pass up her high school experience in lue of development.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the DA will bring.
Old 03-28-17, 04:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
HS experience can be overrated. I know a CUP Gold family who was sent an email about the honor of playing for her school's JV before tryouts(That's the way I remember the chronology). I don't think they regret their decision.

I don't think any girl is foolish to pass up her high school experience in lue of development.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the DA will bring.
I do think there is something to be said about wearing your communities colors and playing for your community that does help with overall development of a player and a young person mentality. Putting my jersey heading out onto the lit soccer field playing from my school and in front of community with my classmates, family, and community watching and cheering was a different feeling than walking onto a field for my club. I look forward to the DA and I am interested to see the changes and how it improves the game but I wonder are we in some sense robbing those that wont wear the Red, White, and Blue for our country some part of their HS School experience all to so they don't lose development over a couple of months of HS soccer and we keep "advancing" development for the US National Teams development? I guess its a choice anyone trying out for DA will have to make. I am just glad I played HS. Just curious does any other sport in America have this sort of issues with development? Are basketball players choosing to not play high school so they can play club?
Old 03-29-17, 06:25 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDad View Post
You always talk about yourself?
Yappi is full of nastiness. What we have accomplished as a soccer family rivals many on your list of greats. I will say it again, if a kid was never considered as the best in her state, she should not be in the discussion. Accomplishments define greatness.
Old 03-29-17, 08:40 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Yappi is full of nastiness. What we have accomplished as a soccer family rivals many on your list of greats. I will say it again, if a kid was never considered as the best in her state, she should not be in the discussion. Accomplishments define greatness.
I have personally known several players that played on National Teams. None of them bragged about their accomplishments. They were too focused on being the best to worry about what anyone else thought.
Old 03-29-17, 04:22 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I do think there is something to be said about wearing your communities colors and playing for your community that does help with overall development of a player and a young person mentality. Putting my jersey heading out onto the lit soccer field playing from my school and in front of community with my classmates, family, and community watching and cheering was a different feeling than walking onto a field for my club. I look forward to the DA and I am interested to see the changes and how it improves the game but I wonder are we in some sense robbing those that wont wear the Red, White, and Blue for our country some part of their HS School experience all to so they don't lose development over a couple of months of HS soccer and we keep "advancing" development for the US National Teams development? I guess its a choice anyone trying out for DA will have to make. I am just glad I played HS. Just curious does any other sport in America have this sort of issues with development? Are basketball players choosing to not play high school so they can play club?
You may be right, but I think it was much more of an experience years ago, before there was a club culture in multiple sports. Back then your high school sport was the only game in town. Now most good players realize that they're stepping back in competition. My daughter loves hearing her name on the morning announcements, but some girls yearn for better competition and development. I get that and it's fine. I'm sure they'll look back at high school with no great feeling of emptiness.
Old 03-30-17, 08:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
You may be right, but I think it was much more of an experience years ago, before there was a club culture in multiple sports. Back then your high school sport was the only game in town. Now most good players realize that they're stepping back in competition. My daughter loves hearing her name on the morning announcements, but some girls yearn for better competition and development. I get that and it's fine. I'm sure they'll look back at high school with no great feeling of emptiness.
Who will not look back at high school "with no great feeling of emptiness"? Those that are playing on their club team in lieu of their high school team? How can you state that they will not have any feelings of emptiness? How do you know what they will feel?

Don't underestimate the experience that kids get from playing for their high school. Aside from the social aspect there are a lot of life lessons from the high school experience. Those lessons and experiences will serve the kids a lot longer in life than any lesson that they'll get from playing club soccer. The playing career for the vast majority of players ends after high school. For those that move on to play in college most will end their playing days, aside from possibly playing in an adult rec league, after college. The benefit that they get from forgoing high school soccer will be negligible. I would even argue that the benefits of playing high school soccer for that small amount of time will far outweigh any benefit that playing club soccer exclusively will bring. Those benefits are not about soccer but, rather, the more important game of life.

I think that the way this entire situation is unfolding in the Cincinnati market is rather ironic. Years ago, when Bill Posey was president of Sycamore Arsenal and CUP, he made comments about the sanctity of the high school experience. There was an article published in the Cincinnati Enquirer about another club in Cincinnati that offered an alternative to high school soccer (If I can locate the article I will link to it). I don't believe that Posey was critical of the other club but I seem to remember that he was critical of the club experience being promoted over the high school experience. I appreciate that viewpoint and agree with it. The irony of this, though, is that the club Posey once led will soon, in conjunction with KHA, begin discouraging kids from participating in high school soccer. Times sure have changed.

With all of that said, I do believe that it is important for clubs to offer an alternative to high school soccer. There are many reasons that kids may not want to play for their high school and they should have an option to do that. Many of reasons are good and some of them are not so good. For a club to insist that its players give up high school soccer, though, is not one of the good reasons. For most kids it will end up being a mistake.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: