Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
Actually...Centerville "sniffed" several state titles. They were arguably one of the top 3 teams in the state in '76, '77, '83, '84, '91, '99 & '04. But unlike one-time wonders such as Fairfield, Upper Arlington & Toledo St. Francis, they either weren't invited or just didn't quite get it done...but they certainly "sniffed it."
Old 04-13-17, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Not that Dement is a good AD but he is not the problem with the Centerville job lately. On talent its the 3rd best job in that division of the GWOC. If you really look at the jobs in an unbiased manner, what is really the difference between Beavercreek, Fairmont and Centerville now? I view these as very similar now. Centerville in my mind used to be the school everyone wanted to move to in south Dayton and I dont see that anymore. It seems that everyone now would rather move to Springboro due to the low taxes, good schools and great athletic facilities. I think Centerville can possibly get back there but they need a new stadium(outdated, cracking) and new school but Centerville is just running out of room to grow like Fairmont and being replaced over the last 10 years by Springboro.
I agree with most of this, especially the realities about families moving around and community growth. Springboro seems to be the "it" place to be nowadays in south Dayton. I'd regard their basketball vacancy as being a major job in the area; the same will be true whenever there's a changing of the guard in football.

Maybe in terms of school size there's not much separating Beavercreek, Centerville and Fairmont other than Beavercreek is still growing to some extent, but Centerville is still way ahead of those two in football potential IMO. It's hard to put a value on tradition and having the expectation of winning. Great success at Beavercreek is going 6-4 or 7-3 and contending for a playoff spot; Centerville is still well above that. Anything less than 6-7 wins is an immense disappointment of a season.
Old 04-13-17, 06:38 PM
All District

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Maybe in terms of school size there's not much separating Beavercreek, Centerville and Fairmont other than Beavercreek is still growing to some extent, but Centerville is still way ahead of those two in football potential IMO. It's hard to put a value on tradition and having the expectation of winning. Great success at Beavercreek is going 6-4 or 7-3 and contending for a playoff spot; Centerville is still well above that. Anything less than 6-7 wins is an immense disappointment of a season.[/QUOTE]

Boro is still behind Cville in FB & BB, but not by much. Boro high school & stadium are much nicer than what the Elks have. I also agree the Elks expectations and better talent still separate them from Creek & Fairmont. Dement needs to make a great hire for Head Coach. Should hear next week.
Old 04-14-17, 12:10 AM
All District

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
They will have to hire within the staff ..... the want give another coach a teacher salary for the years they have been teaching but 7 max
Old 04-14-17, 08:16 AM
All District

FairmontAlum is on a distinguished road
Centerville players right now

Old 04-14-17, 09:54 AM
All District

Truthbit is on a distinguished road
Great opportunity for former Grove City coach Mike Lanza. He should be able to take this team to 0-10 in a season or two.
Old 04-14-17, 03:44 PM
Varsity

nelmo is on a distinguished road
I'm sure Stokes has been offered. The question is whether he will turn this job down like he has all of the other good opportunities offered him in the last couple of years.
Old 04-14-17, 07:16 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
I'm sure Stokes has been offered. The question is whether he will turn this job down like he has all of the other good opportunities offered him in the last couple of years.
not interested.......he has a great opportunity where he is at...
Old 04-15-17, 06:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFootballFan1972 View Post
maccoaching says he didn't apply. Which clearly means he did. Heaven help us if Dumbment fell into that trap.
and what trap is that?
Old 04-15-17, 06:52 AM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
and what trap is that?
Winning
Old 04-15-17, 07:06 AM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
I was around a bunch of coaches this weekend and overheard some interesting things. I was asking about the Pick North job but From more than one conversation there were a few coaches that either turned down the Centerville job or refused to even interview. According to coaches, Centerville is trying hard to get anyone with credibility and a lot of guys are staying far away, from what I gathered it has nothing to do with the community or players (even though many consider them to not be great athletically when compared to Wayne and Cincinnati, it's not the job locals think it is). Most think it could be a good job but not with "the way things are ran." May just be rumors but I trust the guys I talked to, sounds a lot like the people in charge are getting in the way.
Old 04-15-17, 06:46 PM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcityfball View Post
I was around a bunch of coaches this weekend and overheard some interesting things. I was asking about the Pick North job but From more than one conversation there were a few coaches that either turned down the Centerville job or refused to even interview. According to coaches, Centerville is trying hard to get anyone with credibility and a lot of guys are staying far away, from what I gathered it has nothing to do with the community or players (even though many consider them to not be great athletically when compared to Wayne and Cincinnati, it's not the job locals think it is). Most think it could be a good job but not with "the way things are ran." May just be rumors but I trust the guys I talked to, sounds a lot like the people in charge are getting in the way.
I heard something along these lines also. Another rumor I heard was that there's a GMC head coach very interested and they've been having some backdoor conversations.
Old 04-17-17, 08:14 AM
All District

FairmontAlum is on a distinguished road
Safe to assume the new coach at Centerville will be hired this week. If they hire an current head coach this will send a ripple through several programs very late into the year with camp days starting in just over a month! As some others mentioned, Centerville is a great job but not as enticing with current administration in place, so with established head coaches flat out saying no to Dement, he has likely backed himself into a corner.
Old 04-18-17, 07:54 AM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Being this late, they almost have to name a coach this week. Like others, I don't think it's the job it once was. Don't know how tough they are anymore.

Anybody have a list of candidates? It's pretty quiet in elk land...I agree with the ripple effect it could have on some programs (maybe multiple) depending on who they hire. Will they be like a Fairmont and say we don't care how much we have to pay, we want someone who will be here and turn the thing around or will dement hire some coach/inside guy who talks a good game but has HC experience?
Old 04-18-17, 10:28 AM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Being this late, they almost have to name a coach this week. Like others, I don't think it's the job it once was. Don't know how tough they are anymore.

Anybody have a list of candidates? It's pretty quiet in elk land...I agree with the ripple effect it could have on some programs (maybe multiple) depending on who they hire. Will they be like a Fairmont and say we don't care how much we have to pay, we want someone who will be here and turn the thing around or will dement hire some coach/inside guy who talks a good game but has HC experience?
It does not appear they have released a name of candidates. 2 from the current staff for sure, Puckett & Ullery (Brent). Mintor coach Geron Stokes, is likely, he's applied to about all open jobs locally. I have not heard any other names.

Dement should refer back to this article from 2013 regarding Centerville Football as a refresher as he set's to try and right the ship he steered off track http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/0...ld-mike-nugent
Old 04-18-17, 11:58 AM
Junior Varsity

Bobcatlover is on a distinguished road
Someone needs to forward that article to Dement. He has no idea.
Old 04-18-17, 12:07 PM
Freshman

maccoaching is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
Nope

#Relentless
Old 04-18-17, 12:07 PM
Freshman

[QUOTE=elkfan;6751435]It does not appear they have released a name of candidates. 2 from the current staff for sure, Puckett & Ullery (Brent). Mintor coach Geron Stokes, is likely, he's applied to about all open jobs locally. I have not heard any other names.

Nope! #Relentless
Old 04-18-17, 12:08 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFootballFan1972 View Post
maccoaching says he didn't apply. Which clearly means he did. Heaven help us if Dumbment fell into that trap.
Nope! #Relentless
Old 04-18-17, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoaching View Post
Nope! #Relentless
Thank you for your insightful contributions to this thread.
Old 04-18-17, 07:47 PM
Junior Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Not a fan of Dement, but don't put all this on him. Sometimes his bosses make him make certain decisions and he has to do it. Hard to believe that Cville can't come of with some financial package to circumvent teacher experience steps (BOE's have a lot of leeway in creating some things that do not involve the union - speaking of unions, it does amaze me they would approve contracts that LIMIT a teachers pay). Hope they get it right, a strong GWOC needs a strong Cville IMHO.
Old 04-19-17, 06:55 AM
All District

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Brent Ullery is the new coach
Old 04-19-17, 07:10 AM
Varsity

elkfbfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon93 View Post
Brent Ullery is the new coach
Good hire.
Old 04-19-17, 07:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks48 View Post
Thank you for your insightful contributions to this thread.
OK, how many LOCAL jobs did Coach Stokes from Mintor apply to? by the way it's Minster.......I would like to hear some insightful FACTS to back up what you have said.....

by the way, good luck with your new coach....
Old 04-19-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
OK, how many LOCAL jobs did Coach Stokes from Mintor apply to? by the way it's Minster.......I would like to hear some insightful FACTS to back up what you have said.....

by the way, good luck with your new coach....
You have me confused with someone else. I never said anything about anyone applying for a job. Thank you, I know how to spell Minster.
Old 04-19-17, 02:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks48 View Post
You have me confused with someone else. I never said anything about anyone applying for a job. Thank you, I know how to spell Minster.
sorry that was suppose to go to ELKFBfan......my bad....