Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-23-17, 05:46 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Offense has NOT been the problem that last 2 years...it was defense! Whether it is the spread or option, the best solution is a 50/50 run/pass mix AND adapting to your athletes each year. One style does not fit all and coaches have to adjust to your talent & playmakers.
Bravo!

Finally someone who understands that moving away from the 3yardcloudofdust past was not simply to create a sexier offense, was not an indictment against the Gregg/Ullery eras, and certainly was not intended to move away from the tough Elk Pride tradition. However it was indeed necessary to make it past the first rounds of the playoffs.

I for one would be willing to take a few years of adjustment to compete with the Cincinnati and Cleveland schools.
Old 03-23-17, 06:38 PM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
First few rounds of playoffs is way better than no playoffs. Centerville will NOT compete with the schools you are thinking of nor get past round one with a spread offense...... If they even make the playoffs. Tons of other schools have tons of post season success with your 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Also remember few means 3 and there are only 5 playoff rounds, so to make it into week 4 means state semifinals, Centerville will NEVER make it out of the region, no matter coach or offense or defense, period. The quicker Elk nation realises that just making the playoffs in region 4 is an incredible accomplishment, the better the programme will be.

Last edited by cincifbfan; 03-23-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 09:37 PM
Freshman

GapDownBacker is on a distinguished road
I was very confused by that post as well.
Old 03-23-17, 09:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFootballFan1972 View Post
Clearly a Cincinnati school product. No grammar, no spelling, no punctuation. Also doesn't know anything about football.
Wow I know nothing because I speak logical truths. I am sorry about spelling and grammar, damn auto correct does all kinds of things you don't want.

By the way you are missing the word "and" before no punctuation. Also, you are missing a comma after the word "also." Could you also point out your verb in that same second "sentence" because it is a fragment as written and does not use any conventions of proper grammar.

Anytime you want to discuss some of the intricacies of any aspect of football scheme wise, I'll be here.

Yes, I'm a Cincy school product and proud of it, at least I am not dillusional about the realities of the programs that I follow.

Man, our northern neighbors sure are sensitive.

Once again, fact is Roberts did worse each of his 3 seasons... Now the program is set back years. 3 head coaches in 5 seasons is NOT good and what the Elks have is a mess..... No other way to put it.
Old 03-23-17, 10:28 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
Agreed. I would seriously doubt Woody would want it anyway.
I don't think he would ever leave to be honest. Unless he gets forced out which I don't see happening either.
Old 03-24-17, 05:17 AM
All American

bigkat is on a distinguished road
question to Elk fans, what kind of talent do you have coming back for next year? Also what is the search plan for a new coach?
Old 03-24-17, 06:51 AM
All District

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
question to Elk fans, what kind of talent do you have coming back for next year? Also what is the search plan for a new coach?
Good core of Seniors - Grandin (QB), Spiewak (WR), Shelton (SB), Henderson, Haller, & Vance (DL). If stay healthy, Elks can finish 7-3 or 8-2. Depth is a concern.

Coach search - heard ACs on current staff applied, but only rumors about outside candidates. Decision expected mid-April.
Old 03-24-17, 11:47 AM
All Region

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Elks should have a strong core group of players with at least 16-18 starters back who have played the last 1-2 years. The Harmon kid was hurt most of last year but the game he was in he looked impressive as the tailback. Someone mentioned it earlier that depth will be a problem but that's the case with most schools. First 3 games are critical: Fairfield, Lakota West and Pick North. I'll see you in week 4.

As far as who gets the job, I haven't a clue. If the AD doesn't get it right this time, I'm guessing he will be the next one on the chopping block.

PS How's the grammar?
Old 03-24-17, 03:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
True - Harmon was killing Northmont at the last home game of the season before the injury. A powerful & quick runner.

Grammar? Much better than the SH*tbird from Cincy that had the nerve to come up with the moniker Center-Illegal vs Centerville (recently edited), and trolls by saying Centerville will never make it out of the region.
Wow again sensitive. I apologize for how my auto correct on my phone did that, so I edited it. It is never my intention to degrade high school team names, and again I am sorry. Centerville is a fine school and community, unfortunately they haven't a clue with what their expectations Vs reality with your Elks. Get over yourselves.... Again come prove me wrong when you make it out of the region. It's not personal just reality with Wayne, GMC and GCL schools. No trolling, just fact telling.
Old 03-26-17, 08:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Your apology is accepted - auto correct will recommend things that you have typed in the past so we all know the excuse doesn't hold water. Having said that, your jealousy is flattery. Good luck to your team. Let's just hope Dumbent doesn't fall in the trap of hiring Stokes.
I agree...lets hope not....
Old 03-26-17, 05:59 PM
Varsity

PantherTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PantherTown
It is amazing how little 99% of you know about the decline of Centerville Football in the last 2 years. Last year I read about how they would go 7-3, or 8-2 with Debord. Kid can play and proved it when they beat us, but he was one kid on a team with one Div 1 Player. And that was the worst offensive line in the history of Centerville.

Roberts first year (10-1) 8 kids signed
Roberts second year (6-4) 5 kids signed
Roberts third year (5-5) 2 kids signed (only 1 was True Div 1)

You can speculate and talk about philosophy all you want. The talent is not there. The demographics at Centerville has changed and kids are not playing football in the same numbers.

Now I hear about that they have all these juniors that will take them to 8-2. Well once again they have 1 kid that is a Div 1 recruit. Henderson.

Then behind this class, there may be only 1 Div recruit again.

If they play in the same league as us, sure they go 8-2. In the GWOC with Wayne, Sfield and playing tough teams out of conference, they will be lucky to be 5-5 again

Roberts was smart for leaving. That program is going to be mediocre for a long time.
Old 03-26-17, 08:01 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTown View Post
It is amazing how little 99% of you know about the decline of Centerville Football in the last 2 years. Last year I read about how they would go 7-3, or 8-2 with Debord. Kid can play and proved it when they beat us, but he was one kid on a team with one Div 1 Player. And that was the worst offensive line in the history of Centerville.

You can speculate and talk about philosophy all you want. The talent is not there. The demographics at Centerville has changed and kids are not playing football in the same numbers.

Now I hear about that they have all these juniors that will take them to 8-2. Well once again they have 1 kid that is a Div 1 recruit. Henderson.

If they play in the same league as us, sure they go 8-2. In the GWOC with Wayne, Sfield and playing tough teams out of conference, they will be lucky to be 5-5 again

Roberts was smart for leaving. That program is going to be mediocre for a long time.
All that and Centerville still beat your self proclaimed studly passing game and D1 (kicker, lol). Boro talking sh*t but all I smell is gas. Good luck to your team as well.
Old 03-27-17, 12:21 AM
Varsity

PantherTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PantherTown
Quote:
All that and Centerville still beat your self proclaimed studly passing game and D1 (kicker, lol). Boro talking sh*t but all I smell is gas. Good luck to your team as well.
Nobody is talking gas. Lack of D1 talent is a fact. There was no self proclaimed passing game after Cunningham. We were similar to you. We had Kovaks, you had Debord. Kicker does not count. You had one big time player, so did we. Hence we were evenly matched. Neither of us is a match for Wayne or the Ohio big programs.
Old 03-27-17, 07:21 AM
All District

Quote:

Lack of D1 talent is real, but not sure who the 8 signed kids are (counting 5 from Elk FB site). The difference to me is that we don't have the 6'5" 280 lbs. OL/DL when we dominated the LOS. Skill positions are great, but OL/DL is where you win the game. Elks need 2+ OL/DL & 2+ Skill guys at the D1 level to have a chance.

2013 - (4) - Lisle (Ohio St), Replogle (Purdue), Gressel (Iowa), Gantz (Cincinnati)
2014 - (3) - Jared Weyler (Minnesota), Odenigbo (Illinois), Osterhage (Wake Forest)
2015 - (5) - Coeling (Toledo), Garrison (Harvard), Schmerber (EKU), Dabbelt (Army), Disser (Butler)
2016 - (4) - Motleys (Ohio), Hensley (WV), Harrison (Navy)
2017 - (2) - Debord (BG), Purcell (Elon)
Old 03-27-17, 09:37 AM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lack of D1 talent is real, but not sure who the 8 signed kids are (counting 5 from Elk FB site). The difference to me is that we don't have the 6'5" 280 lbs. OL/DL when we dominated the LOS. Skill positions are great, but OL/DL is where you win the game. Elks need 2+ OL/DL & 2+ Skill guys at the D1 level to have a chance.

2013 - (4) - Lisle (Ohio St), Replogle (Purdue), Gressel (Iowa), Gantz (Cincinnati)
2014 - (3) - Jared Weyler (Minnesota), Odenigbo (Illinois), Osterhage (Wake Forest)
2015 - (5) - Coeling (Toledo), Garrison (Harvard), Schmerber (EKU), Dabbelt (Army), Disser (Butler)
2016 - (4) - Motleys (Ohio), Hensley (WV), Harrison (Navy)
2017 - (2) - Debord (BG), Purcell (Elon)
Line play, on both sides of the ball was where the Elks excelled during Gregg/Ullery years. Undervalued: When Ullery was let go, they also lost their line coach. I believe they have had a new OL coach every year since.
Old 03-27-17, 10:32 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan View Post
Line play, on both sides of the ball was where the Elks excelled during Gregg/Ullery years. Undervalued: When Ullery was let go, they also lost their line coach. I believe they have had a new OL coach every year since.
Agree, but not sure this is Roberts' fault. I hear there are some bigger kids coming up, but the new coach will need to keep them in the program and get them big & strong! Every program goes thru a down-cycle on occasion, but believe the Elks will be back soon. This year will be better than many expect.
Old 03-27-17, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

IUDOGS is on a distinguished road
Cool 2017 Centerville Football

It's March 27, 2017

Is there any candidates for the Centerville Head Football Coaching JOB??????

151 days left before the beginning of the 2017 Centerville Football Season.

This is IUDOGS signing off.
Old 03-27-17, 12:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Bobcatlover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Offense has NOT been the problem that last 2 years...it was defense! Whether it is the spread or option, the best solution is a 50/50 run/pass mix AND adapting to your athletes each year. One style does not fit all and coaches have to adjust to your talent & playmakers.
I'd agree with your first sentence. Offense hasn't seemed to be the problem for a lot of years. Looking at the GWOC stats over the past 10 or so years the Elks were always in the top 1-3 in the entire conference in overall offense and points scored, and seemed to be at their best prior to the last coaching change. Defense? Whoa, another story. I'd think the next coach would want to shake up that side of the ball a lot. Sounds on here like Puckett was the DC. If he gets the job hopefully he's better at running a team than he is at running a defense. Their defensive numbers don't look like a great endorsement for him.
Old 03-27-17, 03:29 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
The ELKS will be fine! You can't win all the time and in defeat you learn the lesson of adversity. This program will continue to grow with some pain along the way. It's not an all-star team like many programs have evolved into over the years with their open enrollment policies. Perhaps the days of going undefeated in league play year after year are over; so be it! They will have good and bad years like normal programs do. The fans and players will learn to savor great times and push through the bad. GO ELKS!
Old 03-28-17, 09:55 AM
All Region

Dr. Pepper is on a distinguished road
How about...

Fire Dement and bring in Greg Minton as AD and head coach!
Old 03-28-17, 02:48 PM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
It's Jay Minton....and as most know Minton is just a CEO, not really a coach. Maybe that's what Centerville needs, they certainly would be better off without Dement.

Pretty much crickets around here in regards to a possible coach, sort of like Centerville stadium the last few years. It will be interesting to see who the parents review committee decides to go with.
Old 03-28-17, 02:51 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He'd be an awesome hire!

Old 03-28-17, 03:25 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan View Post
It's Jay Minton....and as most know Minton is just a CEO, not really a coach. Maybe that's what Centerville needs, they certainly would be better off without Dement.

Pretty much crickets around here in regards to a possible coach, sort of like Centerville stadium the last few years. It will be interesting to see who the parents review committee decides to go with.
Uh, parents review committee should go with the most likely to succeed person in the 2005 class.Uh the term "parents review committee" is a joke. This tells all about the problems at Centerville.
Old 03-29-17, 11:57 AM
Varsity

ElksDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
No surprise there. I mean they ran off a long time coach who was nothing but successful. This is a public school, it's hard to duplicate the long term success of public powerhouse like Colerain. Centerville took a huge step backwards with this coach, but it's what the community wanted. It is time that schools & community members get realistic with their expectations of their programs.
100% incorrect, the community did not want a small city coach they wanted a coach with a winning record from a powerhouse school like Elder or St X
Old 03-29-17, 12:02 PM
Varsity

Quote:

you are almost completely clueless. you have no idea the resolve in Centerville to have a winning program. Mediocre? Boro has had a decent team in the past 5 years but got owned for 25 years--Elks will be back with a vengeance--count on it.
Old 03-29-17, 12:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Agree Dement hates football and worships the band--need I say more?
Old 03-29-17, 12:25 PM
Junior Varsity

unknownFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElksDad View Post
100% incorrect, the community did not want a small city coach they wanted a coach with a winning record from a powerhouse school like Elder or St X
Why would a coach like that leave for Centerville?
Old 03-29-17, 08:40 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Only reason I can think is to pad pension prior to retirement. Coaching will be much more difficult due to closed enrollment and no way to get "HELP" from the outside.
Old 03-29-17, 10:16 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElksDad View Post
Good luck getting any coach worth his salt with a "parental board" now playing a role.

What a shame. Centerville used to be so hard nosed and tough. Now the parents are running the show. Pitiful.
Old 03-30-17, 05:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
Good luck getting any coach worth his salt with a "parental board" now playing a role.

What a shame. Centerville used to be so hard nosed and tough. Now the parents are running the show. Pitiful.
so what are the steps that Centerville has set up to hire the coach?