Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-17-17, 07:55 PM
Varsity

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklincats02 View Post
I disagree, Wilhite was runner up last go around. Why wouldn't he apply this time? Also what about that guy over in Miamisburg? Wish Rodney nothing but the best!
Rodney was moving the program in the right direction. It is hard to criticize someone who chooses family over a demanding & sometimes thankless job. Wilhite would be a strong choice if he is interested again. I doubt anyone on current staff gets HC job.
Old 03-17-17, 08:07 PM
All Region

Franklincats02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideRef View Post
You're wrong. Wilhite was the first choice. They couldn't agree on terms. Roberts was then chosen.
Don't care, Rodney was who they hired. If true, you just proved my point. Don't see why he wouldn't apply again, springboro was peaking last time applied. For those on the Ullery Meat, I can't believe you haven't personally called Steve Channel yet!
Old 03-17-17, 10:25 PM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Hire Nate Moore
Old 03-17-17, 10:36 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.whio.com/sports/high-scho..._whioradio_sfp
Old 03-18-17, 12:40 AM
All Region

meNotu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideRef View Post
You're wrong. Wilhite was the first choice. They couldn't agree on terms. Roberts was then chosen.
SIDE REF IS CORRECT. It was a question of $. Wilhite and Fisher are the two best coaches in the GWOC.
Old 03-18-17, 08:16 AM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see them get Steve Channel.
Old 03-18-17, 08:39 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
Interesting comment by Dement - “We have some outstanding internal candidates,” Dement said.
Old 03-18-17, 08:51 AM
All District

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK Solna View Post
I'd like to see them get Steve Channel.
Old 03-18-17, 03:33 PM
Varsity

RUKidding is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeCoach View Post
How about Brian Castner? He could bring thugville to Centerville.
Old 03-19-17, 01:54 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
I would do more of a regional/National hiring process. I believe that is how Wayne got Minton. Centerville needs a coach that has a proven record from a similar demographic/size closed enrollment high school. Don't hire a coach with success form a school used to open enrollment or Private school(same Diff) and fall in love with his record/winning. Go with a proven D1 coach and you have to look at how the coach you hire won at their current school. In closed enrollment you can only be worried about developing the kids in your program.(Why Ullery was successful). There is no help coming from the outside to fill gaps and holes.

Our HS hired a coach once in a different sport from an EXTREEMLY successful program thinking he could do the same for us. It was a bad fit as he was always talking about kids who didn't live in our district/state! He was used to an open enrollment enviornment for his success. He stayed for 2 seasons and went to a nice private school and is "building" a great program with a lot of success.
Old 03-19-17, 08:53 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
I forgot about Geron Stokes. That would be an absolutely brilliant hire at Centerville. What he has done at Minster is very impressive. If Centerville could pry him away that would be a good hire. The numbers and development being shown at Minster fit what Centerville needs again.

And for the record, everything I have ever heard about Rodney Roberts and my limited dealings with him he seems like a very good, genuine person. I hope he is able to find that family balance and eventually get back into coaching or AD position. The best of luck to he and his family.
Old 03-20-17, 08:34 AM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
I forgot about Geron Stokes. That would be an absolutely brilliant hire at Centerville. What he has done at Minster is very impressive. If Centerville could pry him away that would be a good hire. The numbers and development being shown at Minster fit what Centerville needs again.

And for the record, everything I have ever heard about Rodney Roberts and my limited dealings with him he seems like a very good, genuine person. I hope he is able to find that family balance and eventually get back into coaching or AD position. The best of luck to he and his family.
Anyone who gets the jobs needs talk with the basketball coach and follow his guidelines in terms of discipline, control of the younger programs and overall player development. Cupps has a good thing going and it would only benefit both programs if all the coaches were on the same page.
Old 03-20-17, 09:10 AM
Varsity

Xfactor99 is on a distinguished road
Does not Steve Channel run the Wing T? How would that go over in Centerville?
Old 03-20-17, 09:32 AM
All District

Bengal WhoDey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot about Geron Stokes. That would be an absolutely brilliant hire at Centerville. What he has done at Minster is very impressive. If Centerville could pry him away that would be a good hire. The numbers and development being shown at Minster fit what Centerville needs again. .
I don't think it would take much prying to get Stokes from Minster. There are A LOT of disgruntled fans, even with all the winning.
Old 03-20-17, 10:34 AM
All District

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Joel Derge is not a good choice.
Old 03-20-17, 10:49 AM
All District

Quote:
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Old 03-20-17, 10:51 AM
All District

[QUOTE=Xfactor99;6731805]Does not Steve Channel run the Wing T? How would that go over

He has to much bagged that go with him.
Old 03-20-17, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal WhoDey View Post
I don't think it would take much prying to get Stokes from Minster. There are A LOT of disgruntled fans, even with all the winning.
Not from the area and not as familiar with issues that go on in Minster so can you elaborate a little more on the issues? I mean this guy has started winning and he's sent 2 kids to an SEC school, right?. I know that's not the definition of success but why would the community be upset?
Old 03-20-17, 11:26 AM
All District

I think it started when Minster won the title a few years back and Stokes didn't travel back to Minster with the team because his friends and him went out on the town in Columbus like they do every year. He is a great football coach. Off the field, there are some maturity issues. I am not from Minster, but that is how a lot of people from Minster I know feel about the situation.
Old 03-20-17, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think it started when Minster won the title a few years back and Stokes didn't travel back to Minster with the team because his friends and him went out on the town in Columbus like they do every year. He is a great football coach. Off the field, there are some maturity issues. I am not from Minster, but that is how a lot of people from Minster I know feel about the situation.
Personally, I think that's a silly issue. I think the majority of coaches, kids and parents have stayed in Canton/Columbus after their game. I think the experiences I have were that way. Oh well... I don't think that's a very valid reason to dislike a coach that has brought such success but then again it's not my town/team
Old 03-20-17, 12:11 PM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher 2.0 View Post
You are not the first person to say this. I do not understand. From the outside he has won in the CBC, then won in the GWOC year one when we all expected Tippecanoe to be in for a severe wake up call. So he overachieved this year and won. What is it?

Don't all coaches have some form of baggage? not playing Jimmy enough, not getting Jimmy a D1 scholarship, etc
Old 03-20-17, 12:15 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Off the field, there are some maturity issues.
That's a pretty serious charge to be making without any evidence to back it up. Not sure why you would throw that out there.
Old 03-20-17, 01:27 PM
Freshman

maccoaching is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
Geron Stokes from Minster will go after this hard. He and Cupps are old friends.
Assuming he thinks this job is better than the one he has now. Go to Cville and have to beat x, col, moe just to win 1 playoff game. Stay and Minster and go to state championship games.
Old 03-20-17, 02:46 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Minster had a 4-4 MAC record last year in D7. Where is the pick-up here?
2011-2013 - MAC record of 17-7 (before Stokes)
2014-2016 - MAC record of 15-9 (with Stokes)
Old 03-20-17, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are not the first person to say this. I do not understand. From the outside he has won in the CBC, then won in the GWOC year one when we all expected Tippecanoe to be in for a severe wake up call. So he overachieved this year and won. What is it?

Don't all coaches have some form of baggage? not playing Jimmy enough, not getting Jimmy a D1 scholarship, etc
The reason is because of the offense he runs, do you really see Centerville running any version of the Wing-T? No, and the adjustment would be huge on both sides, that Joel would need a few years to really implement his system. I don't think he would get a few years at Centerville. Like someone said before, he walked into a great situation at Tipp, and should have continued success here for the years to come.
Old 03-20-17, 03:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
That's a pretty serious charge to be making without any evidence to back it up. Not sure why you would throw that out there.
Yeah, probably a poor choice of words on my part. I know a few Minster fans who have been going for a long time(even when they were 0-10 a few years) and they haven't been exactly happy with everything off the field. On the field, it is hard to argue with his success, as they are one of the smaller schools in the conference.
Old 03-20-17, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I'd think Geron Stokes would be a good guess here outside of the usual big Dayton area names. If I remember correctly, at one point long ago he was on Cupps' basketball staff at Graham. Very successful run as the head football coach at Minster and Urbana.
Old 03-20-17, 04:58 PM
Varsity

nelmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
It's not exactly a new charge. Plenty of Urbana folks will tell you the same thing. Great football mind, lots of maturity questions off of the field. Sad to hear the same things are coming out about his time at Minster. But maybe being around Cupps everyday again would help. Cupps is a pretty straight laced guy.

Stokes probably ends up as a guy who ends up with a great overall career but doesn't stay at any school for more than five or six years because he wears out his welcome.
Old 03-20-17, 08:12 PM
Varsity

HSFootballFan1972 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Rodney was moving the program in the right direction. It is hard to criticize someone who chooses family over a demanding & sometimes thankless job. Wilhite would be a strong choice if he is interested again. I doubt anyone on current staff gets HC job.
Agree about Rodney - Respect his decision, just really, really poor timing. It would be a shame for the players this late in the season to make wholesale changes. I think there are quite a few assistants who could continue the program in the right direction. It would be unfortunate if one of them didn't get the job because of his last name, but I really wouldn't put anything past Dumbent.

This hire should be the determining factor if he gets booted.
Old 03-20-17, 09:36 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFootballFan1972 View Post
Agree about Rodney - Respect his decision, just really, really poor timing. It would be a shame for the players this late in the season to make wholesale changes. I think there are quite a few assistants who could continue the program in the right direction. It would be unfortunate if one of them didn't get the job because of his last name, but I really wouldn't put anything past Dumbent.

This hire should be the determining factor if he gets booted.
The only assistants with head coaching experience are Aracri and Thobe. Ullery and Puckett don't have any HC experience...do they? I would guess that Dement goes after a proven HC at a D1 or D2 program. Hiring an assistant seems like a big risk regardless of last name.