Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-17, 07:04 AM
Falcon93 Falcon93 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-29-13
Posts: 256
Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Centerville Head Coach Steps Down

I just heard that Coach Roberts resigned this morning. Wow! The AD there is not having much luck keeping coachs. Maybe we can get one from West Carrollton
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-17-17, 07:33 AM
cincifbfan cincifbfan is online now
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-15
Posts: 337
cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
No surprise there. I mean they ran off a long time coach who was nothing but successful. This is a public school, it's hard to duplicate the long term success of public powerhouse like Colerain. Centerville took a huge step backwards with this coach, but it's what the community wanted. It is time that schools & community members get realistic with their expectations of their programs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-17, 08:32 AM
celks116 celks116 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-06-07
Location: NYC
Posts: 177
celks116 is on a distinguished road
Who are realistic candidates for the job? Does Centerville hire from within?

And when do we start pointing the finger at Dement? Should he be making the decision for the next coach? The program is on the verge of losing relevancy quickly. Needs a slam dunk hire.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-17, 08:43 AM
DButkis60 DButkis60 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-13-12
Location: Centerville 19-Wayne 14
Posts: 339
DButkis60 is on a distinguished road
You guy's are jerks! Couldn't wait for this could you! The reason he stepped down has nothing to do with football! The guy is a great football coach and mentor to the players who played for him. Yes, just like Coach Ullery was! Don't jump to conclusions on why he stepped down until you know the whole story! If he wants to let that out it's up to him - but his players know the reason. Life is more important then football!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-17, 09:03 AM
cincifbfan cincifbfan is online now
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-15
Posts: 337
cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DButkis60 View Post
You guy's are jerks! Couldn't wait for this could you! The reason he stepped down has nothing to do with football! The guy is a great football coach and mentor to the players who played for him. Yes, just like Coach Ullery was! Don't jump to conclusions on why he stepped down until you know the whole story! If he wants to let that out it's up to him - but his players know the reason. Life is more important then football!
I 100% agree that life is WAY more important than football. I have seen too many football coaches lose their families because they don't get that until it's too late.

Now, I am trying to figure out how what I said before makes me a jerk? All I said was that it was no surprise & that the Centerville community is ridiculous in its expectations from a D1 public football program in the toughest region in the state.

Who is jumping to conclusions here??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-17, 09:17 AM
celks116 celks116 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-06-07
Location: NYC
Posts: 177
celks116 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DButkis60 View Post
You guy's are jerks! Couldn't wait for this could you! The reason he stepped down has nothing to do with football! The guy is a great football coach and mentor to the players who played for him. Yes, just like Coach Ullery was! Don't jump to conclusions on why he stepped down until you know the whole story! If he wants to let that out it's up to him - but his players know the reason. Life is more important then football!
Literally in no way did I jump to a conclusion about why he stepped down. I think Rodney was a breath of fresh air for the program and a great motivator and mentor to the players.

I'm simply wondering who the next coach will be.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-17, 09:24 AM
HistoryTeacher HistoryTeacher is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-13-14
Location: Clark County
Posts: 329
HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-17, 09:55 AM
unbiased1 unbiased1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-03
Location: dayton
Posts: 1,353
unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dbutkis, your a Di** and he resigned to take an administrative job in a different district. There's no conclusions, just facts. All the post's above are fair and accurate! You and all the dadddy's club know the program has taken 25 steps backwards since Ron and 90% of the staff were let go. It's very easy, bring in A Centerville guy, or watch it struggle to win 4-5 games a year.

You guys got exactly what you deserved.......Centerville Football is not relevant anymore.

I'm sure this is all part you & Dements plan!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-17, 11:18 AM
fangwoc fangwoc is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-30-12
Posts: 167
fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Wilhite- maybe

Derge- would end his coaching career pretty quickly

Miller- Just got to fairmont, he's not going anywhere.

Ullery- What relevance?

Mo- you would see the demographics of centerville shift because of his recruiting abilities, if you want a dirty program then hire him

Brown and Childers- one good year qualifies them to take over centerville?

Mahon and Page- Who are they? Never heard of them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-17, 11:23 AM
Use2ball Use2ball is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-05-14
Posts: 496
Use2ball is on a distinguished road
Ok. I like Rodney and Will not make any assumptions because I don't want to get anybody triggered. This is a pretty safe to say he took a job at a historical power in the state of Ohio, without a doubt a step up. He left what was a great situation at the biggest school ( or 2nd) in their conference where they are almost certain a winning record year in and out. He just finished arguably the worst season in elk history in a community who just got rid of a ledgers. Do you think maybe If football was going great and everything was smiles and pats on the back he might just stick it out? I don't know the situation, just putting my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-17, 11:23 AM
America America is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-20-15
Posts: 1,472
America is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL. If only Dave waited one more year. He's always wanted that Centerville job.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-17, 11:47 AM
HistoryTeacher HistoryTeacher is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-13-14
Location: Clark County
Posts: 329
HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
Wilhite- maybe

Derge- would end his coaching career pretty quickly

Miller- Just got to fairmont, he's not going anywhere.

Ullery- What relevance?

Mo- you would see the demographics of centerville shift because of his recruiting abilities, if you want a dirty program then hire him

Brown and Childers- one good year qualifies them to take over centerville?

Mahon and Page- Who are they? Never heard of them.
How would this end Tipp coach career? Curious why you say this.

Ullery teaches in building and is already on staff as OC, he is the easy hire.

Demographics of Centerville are already becoming more diverse over the last 5-10 years. I doubt Mo would put in, just interesting thought what he could do there.

Childers has proven to be a decent coach in smaller division (21-11, 1 playoff I believe). Brown has won at 2 different schools now in smaller divisions (48-21 career, 6/6 playoffs I believe).

If you don't know Mahon and Page, both are younger coaches. Mahon was HC at Northwest and led them on some good seasons before accepting job at Little Miami with Administration tied in. Page was DC at Centerville and OC at Springboro for winning teams and has done fairly decent in HC ranks in IN and OH so far.

Again these are my thoughts, pure speculation. In the coaching community this is a high paying job, not necessarily an elite job anymore. Who are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-17, 12:17 PM
fangwoc fangwoc is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-30-12
Posts: 167
fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
How would this end Tipp coach career? Curious why you say this.

Ullery teaches in building and is already on staff as OC, he is the easy hire.

Demographics of Centerville are already becoming more diverse over the last 5-10 years. I doubt Mo would put in, just interesting thought what he could do there.

Childers has proven to be a decent coach in smaller division (21-11, 1 playoff I believe). Brown has won at 2 different schools now in smaller divisions (48-21 career, 6/6 playoffs I believe).

If you don't know Mahon and Page, both are younger coaches. Mahon was HC at Northwest and led them on some good seasons before accepting job at Little Miami with Administration tied in. Page was DC at Centerville and OC at Springboro for winning teams and has done fairly decent in HC ranks in IN and OH so far.

Again these are my thoughts, pure speculation. In the coaching community this is a high paying job, not necessarily an elite job anymore. Who are your thoughts?
Derge walked into a great situation at Tipp. i think this year he found out the GWOC is not the CBC. Just my opinion- don't think he can sustain Tipp city precedence in the GWOC. He probably needs more experience to take a job in the big boy side of the GWOC.

My thoughts are
1. Ryan Wilhite (Springboro HC)
2. Roy Thobe (already on staff, former Fairborn HC)
3. Arvie Crouch (Mt. Healthy HC)
4. Neal Kasner (Greenview HC, former Harrison HC)

I don't think with the timing of the resignation that they can hire a coordinator from somewhere that has no head coaching experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-17, 12:19 PM
JetSweepAudible22 JetSweepAudible22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-19-15
Posts: 248
JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Ullery is the safe hire. Childers will definitely apply, but I think he loves being at Franklin because he is winning, and will continue to win, which will boost his ego. Miller, Derge and Wilhite aren't going anywhere.

Mahon has to ride out his running back before he jumps ship again, once he graduates, he will bolt for another job. It's just what he does, but he won't look into this now.

Page is an interesting name as well, but what about Puckett? I bet Vandalia wishes they hired him over Hyatt!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-17, 12:23 PM
playball playball is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-30-04
Posts: 393
playball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
How would this end Tipp coach career? Curious why you say this.

Ullery teaches in building and is already on staff as OC, he is the easy hire.

Demographics of Centerville are already becoming more diverse over the last 5-10 years. I doubt Mo would put in, just interesting thought what he could do there.

Childers has proven to be a decent coach in smaller division (21-11, 1 playoff I believe). Brown has won at 2 different schools now in smaller divisions (48-21 career, 6/6 playoffs I believe).

If you don't know Mahon and Page, both are younger coaches. Mahon was HC at Northwest and led them on some good seasons before accepting job at Little Miami with Administration tied in. Page was DC at Centerville and OC at Springboro for winning teams and has done fairly decent in HC ranks in IN and OH so far.

Again these are my thoughts, pure speculation. In the coaching community this is a high paying job, not necessarily an elite job anymore. Who are your thoughts?
Page was never the OC or DC at either schools you mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-17, 12:35 PM
HistoryTeacher HistoryTeacher is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-13-14
Location: Clark County
Posts: 329
HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball View Post
Page was never the OC or DC at either schools you mentioned.
"At the high school level, he was the special teams and defensive coordinator at Centerville and the run game and offensive coordinator at Springboro."-article from wcpo.com when Reading hired him. I will have to double check but I thought he was. Maybe I am wrong, my wife says I am always wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-17-17, 12:41 PM
AHM AHM is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-03-10
Posts: 442
AHM is on a distinguished road
Geron Stokes of Minster. You heard it here first.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-17-17, 12:43 PM
playball playball is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-30-04
Posts: 393
playball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
"At the high school level, he was the special teams and defensive coordinator at Centerville and the run game and offensive coordinator at Springboro."-article from wcpo.com when Reading hired him. I will have to double check but I thought he was. Maybe I am wrong, my wife says I am always wrong!
Fisher has been the OC since he and Wilhite arrived in Springboro. When he was at Centerville i could be wrong, but I know I'm right about Boro.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-17-17, 12:51 PM
Pigskin Pigskin is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-27-04
Posts: 59
Pigskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Geron Stokes of Minster. You heard it here first.
Yup. I could see this happening. He is great friends with Brook Cupps. Might help him somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-17-17, 01:05 PM
1995 1995 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-30-08
Posts: 224
1995 is on a distinguished road
First of all, Rodney Roberts is a good football coach and a good man! He has had success at every stop, including Centerville! Who's next?? Not Ullery!! They already got rid of one Ullery. They certainly are not going to hire another. And...he has never been OC. Adams was OC thru Roberts entire tenure; Ullery was NAMED OC when Rodney let Adams go. Hasn't called a single game at OC. Only qualified guy inside is Puckett! He has been on staff for several years, except one in S.C., and had been D.C. for most. However, don't expect Dement to give him a shot!

As far a you detractors who think Rodney sunk the ship, and bring back a "Centerville guy", seriously?. How about if we keep the football program in the 21st century? Or...maybe go back to the 19th century and eliminate the forward pass and run the single wing? If the defense wasn't a sieve the last 2 years, I think things would have been much different. I know, let's see if Bob will come out of retirement! I think Stokes or Castner would be good choices. What about Springboro OC Mike Fischer? Childers won't leave Franklin and would be a moron to do so!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-17-17, 01:35 PM
Falcon93 Falcon93 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-29-13
Posts: 256
Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Best bet is to hire existing assistant coach as interim head coach. It's a little to late to make drastic changes and panic like they did during the AD search. Coach Roberts will be missed for sure. Just hope those in power don't panic and feel they need to go outside the current group of assistants.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-17-17, 02:38 PM
Off_Tackle08 Off_Tackle08 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-01-14
Posts: 940
Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
What about a guy like Dan McSurley from Massie or his former DC and current Wilmington HC Scott Killen? Both live within driving distance and both are very good.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-17-17, 02:54 PM
Warpath Warpath is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-20-13
Posts: 74
Warpath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball View Post
Fisher has been the OC since he and Wilhite arrived in Springboro. When he was at Centerville i could be wrong, but I know I'm right about Boro.


Fisher came with Wilhite from Wayne to Springboro. Fisher is also a Wayne Alum.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-17-17, 03:11 PM
SideRef SideRef is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-30-15
Posts: 249
SideRef is on a distinguished road
Stepping down was the right thing to do. Centerville has become irrelevant. Change is needed. Best option is to hire a Centerville guy. Now if only Dumbment will do what is right and leave.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-17-17, 04:34 PM
hoser hoser is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 7,457
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
Realistic candidates in my eyes.

GWOC currently:
Ryan Wilhite- Springboro
Joel Derge- Tippecanoe
Dave Miller- Fairmont
Brent Ullery- Centerville Assistant (believe new OC and teaches in building)

(Would Mo Douglass inquire?)

Outside of GWOC:
Mike Brown- Carlisle
Brad Childers- Franklin

Outside of Greater Dayton:
Nate Mahon- Little Miami
Rob Page- Reading
Uh, Mo Douglas at Centerville is beyond laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-17-17, 05:29 PM
Franklincats02 Franklincats02 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-20-12
Posts: 505
Franklincats02 is on a distinguished road
I disagree, Wilhite was runner up last go around. Why wouldn't he apply this time? Also what about that guy over in Miamisburg? Wish Rodney nothing but the best!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-17-17, 05:41 PM
SideRef SideRef is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-30-15
Posts: 249
SideRef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklincats02 View Post
I disagree, Wilhite was runner up last go around. Why wouldn't he apply this time? Also what about that guy over in Miamisburg? Wish Rodney nothing but the best!
You're wrong. Wilhite was the first choice. They couldn't agree on terms. Roberts was then chosen.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-17-17, 05:48 PM
nelmo nelmo is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-29-12
Posts: 73
nelmo is on a distinguished road
Geron Stokes from Minster will go after this hard. He and Cupps are old friends.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-17-17, 07:10 PM
SideRef SideRef is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-30-15
Posts: 249
SideRef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
Geron Stokes from Minster will go after this hard. He and Cupps are old friends.
So the basketball coach is influential in the process? That's odd. What about the baseball, tennis, or soccer coaches, etc.? Are they involved? Minster? They are in what division? Uh yea, lets bring in another outsider. That worked out well.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-17-17, 07:32 PM
Pigskin Pigskin is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-27-04
Posts: 59
Pigskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideRef View Post
So the basketball coach is influential in the process? That's odd. What about the baseball, tennis, or soccer coaches, etc.? Are they involved? Minster? They are in what division? Uh yea, lets bring in another outsider. That worked out well.
Not so much as a basketball coach influencing a football decision, but the man Brook Cupps having some in-house pull with AD. Many coaching jobs are filled because "so and so knew so and so....". Happens all the time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
Former Toledo Central Catholic head coach and assistant Tom Santoro has passed away. dougp66 Football 3 05-29-16 08:01 PM
Chad Long to be named Fremont Ross head coach FremontKeith Football 3 02-22-16 06:16 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 56 Centerville 17 vamp2syd Football 44 11-01-15 03:17 PM
North Canton Hoover Coaching search unclebob Football 165 03-06-15 11:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz