Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Which of these most closely describes your religious practice currently
Mainline Protestant regular church-goer (Episc., Mehthodist, etc.) 5 7.94%
Mainline Protestant by background, infrequent church-goer 9 14.29%
Evangelical regular church-goer 3 4.76%
Evangelical by background, infrequent church-goer 2 3.17%
Catholic regular church-goer 22 34.92%
Catholic by background, infrequent church-goer 15 23.81%
Jewish 2 3.17%
Muslim 3 4.76%
Other Religion 2 3.17%
Agnostic (who knows?) 13 20.63%
Atheist (there is no God/Supreme being) 3 4.76%
Other 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 03-15-17, 12:41 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,513
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
There's no doubt Jesus existed. The documentation is clear on that. Not sure there any many people who don't believe in him and his teachings. You don't have to believe in miracles to believe his teachings should be heeded and modeled.
In the context of Christianity. Not a single Christian believes in Jesus as "just a man".

Talk about straw men. It's cool.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-15-17, 12:41 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,418
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
I think it sounds inspiring.

In organized religion, you have the aspect of communal pursuit of goodness, justice, morality...we're all God's children. It's a moving experience to attend Mass in another country and have this sense of oneness.
You don't need organized religion to be a good person or make good choices.

Propaganda
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-15-17, 12:43 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,513
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
King of the strawman strikes again. It's 100% possible to separate the idea of a resurrection and the idea that there actually did exist a man that fit the description of Jesus.
You think anyone who believes in miracles is "dumb". If you are a follower of Christianity in any form you believe in the Resurrection. It's the entire basis of forgiveness. But you just keep building that straw man of your own.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-15-17, 12:44 PM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,734
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
You don't need organized religion to be a good person or make good choices.

Propaganda
Did I say otherwise?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-15-17, 12:45 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,418
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Here's another thing Slidebi doesn't understand, there is a spectrum of things people believe in when it comes to religion. People run the range from believing the Bible and the church teachings literally to figuratively. Some people evem stay in those communities just out of tradition and comfort without believing any of it.
That is so sad. As bad as 'shopping' for a new church or religion.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-15-17, 12:45 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,513
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Not a single Christian here or Catholic will say Jesus was simply a man and they don't believe he died for their sins and was resurrected as the Son of God. One belief follows the other.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-15-17, 12:46 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,418
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Did I say otherwise?
clearly
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-15-17, 12:48 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,513
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Here's another thing Slidebi doesn't understand, there is a spectrum of things people believe in when it comes to religion. People run the range from believing the Bible and the church teachings literally to figuratively. Some people evem stay in those communities just out of tradition and comfort without believing any of it.
Please point out where I said that.

Ronnie said believing in the miracle of Moses is dumb. That means he thinks ANY miracles are dumb, and by extension insults every believer of Christ here. Hell,ANY believer of any religion since an omnipresent being would be a miracle in itself. Just keep spinning Chief.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-15-17, 12:50 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 64,827
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
In the context of Christianity. Not a single Christian believes in Jesus as "just a man".

Talk about straw men. It's cool.
How is it a straw man? I'm positive there are many people who identify as Christians and Catholics who believe Jesus was just a man.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-15-17, 12:52 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 1,894
serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Can you please tell me what you mean by this response?
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 03-15-17, 12:52 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 13,774
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Please point out where I said that.

Ronnie said believing in the miracle of Moses is dumb. That means he thinks ANY miracles are dumb, and by extension insults every believer of Christ here. Hell,ANY believer of any religion since an omnipresent being would be a miracle in itself. Just keep spinning Chief.
And that bothers you why?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-15-17, 12:52 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,203
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Christians don't believe Jesus was just a "man". You think Christians or anyone that believe in the miracle of the Resurrection is "dumb". Be a man and don't backpeddle now.
No backpedal here. I stand by my comments that believing Moses lived to be 900 years old and that Jesus turned into a zombie is complete idiocy.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-15-17, 12:52 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 64,827
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Please point out where I said that.

Ronnie said believing in the miracle of Moses is dumb. That means he thinks ANY miracles are dumb, and by extension insults every believer of Christ here. Hell,ANY believer of any religion since an omnipresent being would be a miracle in itself. Just keep spinning Chief.
You said it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Not a single Christian here or Catholic will say Jesus was simply a man and they don't believe he died for their sins and was resurrected as the Son of God.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-15-17, 01:11 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,524
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
No backpedal here. I stand by my comments that believing Moses lived to be 900 years old and that Jesus turned into a zombie is complete idiocy.
That's fine. If I'm wrong, I lose nothing. If you're wrong....
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-15-17, 01:20 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 2,467
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Few people I know deny that there was a historical Jesus. The couple I do know are Orthadox Jews who, I believe, feel threatened even by the fact that he existed. I know Reformed and even Conservative Rabbis who acknowlege that he existed and even that he was a learned rabbi himself. Buddist friends consider him a Bodhisattva or Buddist saint. Muslims too revere Jesus as a great prophet. To be a Christain, however, one must believe that he was divine, while still retaining his human nature, that he died and that he rose from the dead. Those are the tenants of all Christain religions. That is why most Christians do not believe that Mormans are Christian as they do not share the same concept of Jesus' nature and his place in the Trinity.

Can there be "secular Christain" who believes in the historic Jesus, believe in and practice his teachings but also believe he was an ordinary man? some would say yes, however, that does not fit into the generally accepted (for over 2,000 years) concept of what constitutes a "Christian".

Last edited by Purplemojo; 03-15-17 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-15-17, 01:28 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 529
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
That's fine. If I'm wrong, I lose nothing. If you're wrong....
Pascal's Wager. Relies on you being able to trick god though. If you don't actually believe, you go to hell regardless of your actions from my understanding.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-15-17, 01:30 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,203
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
That's fine. If I'm wrong, I lose nothing. If you're wrong....
Taking into account all of the religions that exist currently, there's a 0.0002% chance that you're "right". Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-15-17, 01:45 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 3,438
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Can someone state why they believe that someone who had no access to medication, health care, etc. lived to be almost like 13x the average life expectancy in 2017? Don't just say "because it's in the Bible," etc, give a solid reasoning. I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process behind this
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-15-17, 01:51 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 13,774
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Can someone state why they believe that someone who had no access to medication, health care, etc. lived to be almost like 13x the average life expectancy in 2017? Don't just say "because it's in the Bible," etc, give a solid reasoning. I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process behind this
I'm guessing the explanation would be divine intervention.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-15-17, 01:53 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 2,467
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Can someone state why they believe that someone who had no access to medication, health care, etc. lived to be almost like 13x the average life expectancy in 2017? Don't just say "because it's in the Bible," etc, give a solid reasoning. I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process behind this
BJ, most of us read it to mean just "very old". It is not a big deal. For those who believe the literal; more power to you, for those that believe in the deeper meaning; I am with you, for those who just find excuses to challenge others' beliefs; you should find another hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03-15-17, 02:05 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,418
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
This is good stuff
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03-15-17, 02:14 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,358
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Can someone state why they believe that someone who had no access to medication, health care, etc. lived to be almost like 13x the average life expectancy in 2017? Don't just say "because it's in the Bible," etc, give a solid reasoning. I'm genuinely curious as to the thought process behind this
There are many theories to explain it as literal years.

You need to read more from Ken Ham (think that's his name).

One theory is before the flood, conditions were much better than today in terms of disease and bacteria stress. You will notice a rapid decline in life span following the flood, but Abraham still lived well over 100 years.

Another rendering places not the individual themselves, but the defendants of the individual as a family spanning that time period. For example, a man named Adam has direct family that trace themselves back to Adam. Nine hundred years later the last known direct dependant of Adam dies, so it is said Adam (meaning his direct family) lived nine hundred years.

Remember, Moses was the one who wrote the first five books where we see ages listed for those who lived prior to his writing. Later we are told the days of man are three score years and ten (70) , but if by reason of strength they be four score years (80).
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03-15-17, 02:21 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,262
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Few people I know deny that there was a historical Jesus. The couple I do know are Orthadox Jews who, I believe, feel threatened even by the fact that he existed. I know Reformed and even Conservative Rabbis who acknowlege that he existed and even that he was a learned rabbi himself. Buddist friends consider him a Bodhisattva or Buddist saint. Muslims too revere Jesus as a great prophet. To be a Christain, however, one must believe that he was divine, while still retaining his human nature, that he died and that he rose from the dead. Those are the tenants of all Christain religions. That is why most Christians do not believe that Mormans are Christian as they do not share the same concept of Jesus' nature and his place in the Trinity.

Can there be "secular Christain" who believes in the historic Jesus, believe in and practice his teachings but also believe he was an ordinary man? some would say yes, however, that does not fit into the generally accepted (for over 2,000 years) concept of what constitutes a "Christian".
This is basically the idea behind Unitarianism: "Unitarianism is historically a Christian theological movement named for its belief that God is one sole individual, as opposed to the Trinity, which defines God as three persons in one being; the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Unitarians believe that Jesus was inspired by God in his moral teachings and is a Savior, but he is perceived as a human rather than a deity."

Super liberal sect these days that attract a lot of folks that like the teachings of Christianity but not necessarily some of rules and institutions. There is a large congregation in suburban CLE that goes crazy on Easter with Rainbow themed everything and has a solar paneled car port for the congregation to charge all their "green" autos.

Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-15-17, 02:24 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,524
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Pascal's Wager. Relies on you being able to trick god though. If you don't actually believe, you go to hell regardless of your actions from my understanding.
Kind of. Lots of people believe in Christ, that he is the son of God, was resurrected, etc....but they don't live Christian lives. Basically denying Him. They don't seek or have relationships with God.

Not really tricking.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-15-17, 02:30 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 529
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Kind of. Lots of people believe in Christ, that he is the son of God, was resurrected, etc....but they don't live Christian lives. Basically denying Him. They don't seek or have relationships with God.

Not really tricking.
And that gets you in to heaven?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-15-17, 02:33 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,524
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Taking into account all of the religions that exist currently, there's a 0.0002% chance that you're "right". Good luck with that.
Again....I don't have anything to lose. No matter the perceived odds.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-15-17, 02:42 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,358
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Taking into account all of the religions that exist currently, there's a 0.0002% chance that you're "right". Good luck with that.
I think many believe theirs is the "one way". It is up to each person to find that one way. If you are not religious at all, then I guess you have found your one way, .0002% chance your right.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 03-15-17, 02:49 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,524
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
And that gets you in to heaven?
I didn't say that. At least I don't think I did. But its part of it.

Just pointing out many people believe in God. In fact most people in America believe in God. But their actions don't always follow Christ's teachings. Matthew 7:21-23 comes to mind.

Conversely, lots of people live good lives that in many ways are consistent with Christ's teachings...but don't believe in Christ.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 03-15-17, 02:50 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 529
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Again....I don't have anything to lose. No matter the perceived odds.
If you're wrong, I would say living the one life you have based on nonsense would be quite a bit to lose.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 03-15-17, 02:56 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,524
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
If you're wrong, I would say living the one life you have based on nonsense would be quite a bit to lose.
How so? How exactly does living a Christian life cost me anything? What am I losing?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz