Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Which of these most closely describes your religious practice currently
Mainline Protestant regular church-goer (Episc., Mehthodist, etc.) 5 7.94%
Mainline Protestant by background, infrequent church-goer 9 14.29%
Evangelical regular church-goer 3 4.76%
Evangelical by background, infrequent church-goer 2 3.17%
Catholic regular church-goer 22 34.92%
Catholic by background, infrequent church-goer 15 23.81%
Jewish 2 3.17%
Muslim 3 4.76%
Other Religion 2 3.17%
Agnostic (who knows?) 13 20.63%
Atheist (there is no God/Supreme being) 3 4.76%
Other 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-17, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
My wife and I are raising our children to be good people first and foremost. Like others have said, we don't look down on anyone for their religious beliefs and we accept anyone who is a good person regardless of faith. Once our children are old enough, they can decide for themselves what they want to be. For now, they are non religious. There are so many great aspects of all different religions both culturally and religiously. We just don't believe in anything. Or in other words are unsure, hence being agnostic.
All due respect, I don't think religion works that way for most people. I don't think it's likely that people raised in a non-faith environment are going to choose it as adults.

Last edited by CatAlum; 03-14-17 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 09:55 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
All do respect, I don't think religion works that way for most people. I don't think it's likely that people raised in a non-faith environment are going to choose it as adults.
I had the same thought. On the other hand, I think it's likely that people raised in a faith environment are going to choose to be religious as adults. That said, I imagine, it is up to the parents to decide which way to go.
Old 03-15-17, 03:57 AM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Born into a strict "Amish" home, so had to learn to appreciate all you English out there. After a period of many years of being uncertain about God , decided if I was going to believe in God I should believe in the literal book written about Him.

Think I am rather unique here as I believe in a six day creation. Attend Evangelical church and attend a small group (Bible study) twice a month.

Look forward to heaven but do not want to die to get there, life is good!
Old 03-15-17, 04:09 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
How old do you believe the Earth to be?
Old 03-15-17, 05:00 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
I had the same thought. On the other hand, I think it's likely that people raised in a faith environment are going to choose to be religious as adults. That said, I imagine, it is up to the parents to decide which way to go.
If you're a Christian the Bible says it's your duty to instruct your children in the Word of God if memory serves.
Old 03-15-17, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You could check "other".
I don't think so.

I took that to mean I believe in something, it's just not on your list.
Old 03-15-17, 07:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
How old do you believe the Earth to be?
Ronnie, not sure other posters want this to devolve into a debate on evolution vs creation.

I believe the earth is around six thousand years old.

To answer your next question, I believe when God created the universe, He did it in a way that had everything in motion as if it had been around for billions of years. Example, light from distant stars would need to be created along with the star itself so that man could see the star immediately upon creation.

At times I struggle with such a young age for Earth. My primary "evidence" for it being older though is not science, but rather recorded history of ancient Asian and other people's that date back more than the six thousand years. So, it may be a few thousand older.
Old 03-15-17, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Same here. Sticking with one religion is limiting yourself, IMO.
Agreed. The current priest at my parish is without a doubt the best I've ever spent time listening to. He's talked about his past study of other religions and incorporates other teachings in his homilies regularly.
Old 03-15-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
1 Jew and 1 Muslim seems about right, I know of 1 Jewish person here but he doesn't come over to this board too often. Surprised at the relatively low numbers of Evangelicals so far, their numbers are growing and there are different flavors emerging to capture a variety of converts.
Old 03-15-17, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I don't think so.

I took that to mean I believe in something, it's just not on your list.
Well, I have a category called "other religion" and one called "other". I actually contemplated "other" as something that would include your situation.
Old 03-15-17, 08:58 AM
All American

Adds on these sites have really gotten good at predicting their audience. I had never seen a particular add aimed at me until I clicked on this religion section. The add is from Cedarville University and is for a master's degree in ministry. Anyone else get hit by religious adds after visiting this page?
Old 03-15-17, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All due respect, I don't think religion works that way for most people. I don't think it's likely that people raised in a non-faith environment are going to choose it as adults.
My wife was raised non faith but chose Catholicism before I had met her when she was about 20. She is probably the exception and not the rule.

And she is a scientist. Granted she and I don't believe in Adam and eve populating the earth, Moses living so long, parting the red sea, Noah and his ark. If anything we try to take away the bigger message.
Old 03-15-17, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Well, I have a category called "other religion" and one called "other". I actually contemplated "other" as something that would include your situation.
None would have been easy
Old 03-15-17, 09:07 AM
All American

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
My wife was raised non faith but chose Catholicism before I had met her when she was about 20. She is probably the exception and not the rule.

And she is a scientist. Granted she and I don't believe in Adam and eve populating the earth, Moses living so long, parting the red sea, Noah and his ark. If anything we try to take away the bigger message.
Well done. I think you and your wife have got it just about right, from my personnal point of view.
Old 03-15-17, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Catholicism does not preach a "literal" interpretation of the Bible in a way that Fundamentalists view the Bible. It's an inspired, holy collection of writings of people. Plenty of stuff out here explaining the Church's position, but here's an article from the Pope Benedict years...

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news...-its-totality/
Old 03-15-17, 09:14 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Well done. I think you and your wife have got it just about right, from my personnal point of view.
Deuteronomy 4:2 and also in Revelations explicitly forbids adding or taking away from the Word of God. Some argue it means that specific book or chapter of the Bible, but many others say it means the entire Bible. If God says he flooded the earth or if Moses lived for 900 yrs... then it I guess I believe it.
Old 03-15-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
My wife was raised non faith but choseriously Catholicism before I had met her when she was about 20. She is probably the exception and not the rule
Interesting, I have a daughter in college and she has a roomate who is currently church shopping as she feels more spiritual now that she left her Agnostic parents and forming her own belief patterns. She is leaning Catholic primarily because of the "Full Monty" thought that if go you might as well go all the way and she likes the idea of weekly communion done the Catholic way. But also she likes the various rituals and the mainline protestant churches come across as sterile and nothing more than Bible study with music or folks that look to brainwash you to either a liberal path, (UCC or Unitarians) or conservative path (Baptists or Evangelicals). The other categories come across as too hippy dippy too, especially Buddhism.
Old 03-15-17, 09:29 AM
All Ohio

On another note I am shocked that people join the Catholic Church later on on life. The amount of work you have to do to join is pretty remarkable. If they want new followers it may be in their best interest to change some of that. I'm not saying you should just be able to join willy nilly
Old 03-15-17, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Interesting, I have a daughter in college and she has a roomate who is currently church shopping as she feels more spiritual now that she left her Agnostic parents and forming her own belief patterns. She is leaning Catholic primarily because of the "Full Monty" thought that if go you might as well go all the way and she likes the idea of weekly communion done the Catholic way. But also she likes the various rituals and the mainline protestant churches come across as sterile and nothing more than Bible study with music or folks that look to brainwash you to either a liberal path, (UCC or Unitarians) or conservative path (Baptists or Evangelicals). The other categories come across as too hippy dippy too, especially Buddhism.
I learned a long time ago that you don't have to go to church or subscribe to any religion to be spiritual.

the idea of church shopping sounds kind of sad and desperate
Old 03-15-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
On another note I am shocked that people join the Catholic Church later on on life. The amount of work you have to do to join is pretty remarkable. If they want new followers it may be in their best interest to change some of that. I'm not saying you should just be able to join willy nilly
Typically, you start just after Christmas and it culminates at the Easter Vigil Mass (Saturday night before Easter). 20-30 hours roughly?
Old 03-15-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I learned a long time ago that you don't have to go to church or subscribe to any religion to be spiritual.

I think it sounds inspiring.

In organized religion, you have the aspect of communal pursuit of goodness, justice, morality...we're all God's children. It's a moving experience to attend Mass in another country and have this sense of oneness.
Old 03-15-17, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I disagree, church shopping is actually quite common in college these days and many of these students are drawn to the concept. The sense of community has really changed since the advent of the smart phone and many born in the mid '90s and on have lost live human interaction with people of a similar belief pattern and organized religion fills that void. Simple things like actually rolling out of the rack and getting to church on Sunday and then grabbing brunch at with your church friends has a lot of appeal to it, especially for a girl that has a quiet personality.
Old 03-15-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
So a Catholic, a Muslim and an agnostic walk into a Yappi forum...
Old 03-15-17, 09:56 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
I've always been Catholic but recently remarried someone who is not only not Catholic but is divorced. She's not keen at all on getting an annulment, and as such I'm not able to receive Communion, which distresses me greatly. My wife is also not crazy about going to Mass considering she can't share in Communion with my family. She feels excluded, especially considering at her Methodist church they give out Communion to anyone. If I'm being honest with myself, the Church's hard and fast rules seem to be slowly pulling me away, and I don't like that one bit.

This inter-faith marriage has given rise to more difficulties than any of us anticipated.
Old 03-15-17, 10:03 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Born and raised in the Catholic church, now go to a methodist church.

We unfortunately live in a time now where we can both believe what ever we want, and be criticized for it at the same time, especially by the left.

While I live my life being as fair to all as possible, at some point I do think you have to stand for something.
Old 03-15-17, 10:05 AM
All Ohio

Wait why can't you get communion? Because your wife is divorced?
Old 03-15-17, 10:09 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I've always been Catholic but recently remarried someone who is not only not Catholic but is divorced. She's not keen at all on getting an annulment, and as such I'm not able to receive Communion, which distresses me greatly. My wife is also not crazy about going to Mass considering she can't share in Communion with my family. She feels excluded, especially considering at her Methodist church they give out Communion to anyone. If I'm being honest with myself, the Church's hard and fast rules seem to be slowly pulling me away, and I don't like that one bit.

This inter-faith marriage has given rise to more difficulties than any of us anticipated.
I've never seen anyone turned away from communion at a Catholic Church.
Old 03-15-17, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
We unfortunately live in a time now where we can both believe what ever we want, and be criticized for it at the same time, especially by the left.
Umm, isn't this(freedom of speech/religion) what makes this country so great?
Old 03-15-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Umm, isn't this(freedom of speech) what makes this country so great?
Yeah his comment made no sense.
Old 03-15-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post

Could be worse. My college roomie and his wife decided she would be a stay-at-home mom until their youngest was in school. A knock on the door one day led to her becoming full-blown a Jehovah's Witness. She went overboard to point of even taking the kids with her door-to-door. Both sets of grandparents melted due to no birthday celebrations, Easter, Christmas, etc. Somehow he hung in there and they're still married. I still don't understand how he did it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: