Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-17, 11:30 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
USWNT - SheBelieves Cup

Who would have thought that the USWNT would be last in the table behind France, Germany, and England? A few opinions from what I was able to observe.

- Ellis is not the answer. She is underwhelming as a tactician. She under utilizes players and plays them out of position. Pia was a better option, IMHO.

- The 3 back system didn't work and the defenders were exposed. There was no organization whatsoever. Why Ellis remained committed to the 3-5-2 is, indeed, puzzling. The 4-3-3 of France simply overwhelmed.

- None of our defenders could hang with France's Elodie Thomis. She presented a match-up problem that the US couldn't answer.

- Casey Short often looked lost and left French attackers unattended all too often.

- I'm unimpressed with Allie Long. She doesn't handle pressure well and was continually torched last night. Why was she playing as a central defender? It's Ellis playing players out of position.

- Rose Lavelle did well but she's another case of Ellis playing players out of position. I feel she is a lot better as a #10. Her talent isn't being fully utilized on the outside. Rose played much better vs England but who knows how she would have played vs France had she been in the correct position?

- Carli Lloyd needs to retire. If she stays she should play as a forward. She made too many errant passes last night. Rose would be a lot more effective in Lloyd's position.

- Tobin Heath is a lot of fun to watch. She is very skilled and technical. Sometimes, though, she tries to do too much and loses the ball.

- There were too many passes into pressure last night and against England. Morgan Brian and Carli Lloyd were two of the biggest culprits and, again, the errant passes by both.

- France's Amandine Henry is one of the best, if not the best, defensive midfielders playing women's soccer today.

- Sam Mewis was a bright spot and is impressive. She's someone to watch in the future.

- Take the early PK out and the score ends at 2-0 and the US was still thoroughly outplayed by France.

- Perhaps a bright spot for the future of the USWNT is that the U23s had a 2-0 victory against a very talented Japan side in La Manga, Spain last week.

Last edited by Rohbino; 03-08-17 at 12:34 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-17, 01:11 PM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
Press looked awful last night against France. I understand they are experimenting with new players, but finishing 4th is embarassing. They will definitely drop out of the Top spot in the world. It was certainly a matter of time before European countries caught up in the Female soccer world.

Playing 3 in the back, and Long as CB, she is so slow.... Not an ideal spot for a slow CB.

I was not overly impressed with Lavelle last night, like most were. She obviously looked better vs England. I really like Dunn! Wish she would get more playing time. Heath is definitely fun to watch. Pugh is a special player!
Old 03-08-17, 01:11 PM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Short looked awful both last night and against England. Long as well. Short has no business as an outside back. Her awareness is just not acceptable for the position.

Long is out of position as a center back especially in a 3 back scheme with Short as her outside support. My daughter watched that cross for the 3rd goal in slow motion and Long had a line on the ball but slowed and looked over her shoulder rather than play the ball. You could tell she knew she screwed up right away.

Mewis, Dunn and Pugh looked the best through the tournament. Williams had moments of solidness and at other times looked confused.

Need to take advantage of Press's speed more often, she can fly.

Ellis has been out coached more times in the last year than I can count.

And agreed on Henry, she fun to watch and nice to look at too
Old 03-08-17, 01:17 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
With the Kick and Run game gone after AW retired, it is apparent that we do not have a way to deal with high pressure. The passing skills just aren't there. we can't play in the middle so we are forced out wide and the crosses just aren't there often enough. It's not just 3 in the back which we obviously couldn't handle, it's the fact the extra attacker garnered no noticeable increase in offensive threat. Our headstart is gone. Europe is along side us now.
Old 03-08-17, 01:17 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Rose Lavelle did well but she's another case of Ellis playing players out of position. I feel she is a lot better as a #10. Her talent isn't being fully utilized on the outside. Rose played much better vs England but who knows how she would have played vs France had she been in the correct position?

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! Rose laid an egg.
Old 03-08-17, 01:18 PM
All American

I told you people. Rose has great work ethic. She does not know how to win. Never has.
Old 03-08-17, 01:28 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Rose Lavelle did well but she's another case of Ellis playing players out of position. I feel she is a lot better as a #10. Her talent isn't being fully utilized on the outside. Rose played much better vs England but who knows how she would have played vs France had she been in the correct position?

That's harsh. She had a rough start, looked great in the 2nd half against England, and struggled against France. A lot of pressure to dump her in against some of the best teams in the world out of the gate. She doesn't have the advantage of a pulisic that plays in the champions league and bundesliga. Tough to go from college straight into playing against the very best in the world and make an impact. Give her time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-17, 04:13 PM
All American

Quote:

She did play much better vs England. But, as I mentioned, Ellis is playing Rose out of position. She should be playing in the 10 position and would show better there. She's not a wide mid.
Old 03-08-17, 05:32 PM
All American

I do have to agree That Jill Ellis has to GO!
She is way past her time here, She lost in the Olympics and now Embarrassed our country this last week, by playing SUB par players.

What a joke !

The point I don't get is this equality deal that has been imposed on the USWNT.
PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS END OF STORY !
I won't mention any names to stay polictical correct , but cmon !

You want to test all your young players do it in friendly games, no need to do it on an International stage ! Jill Ellis and the Federation Look like FOOLS !

Rose Lavelle - Maserati Body ! flys all over the place , Problem is she has a two dollar computer chip for a Brain.
Old 03-08-17, 05:34 PM
All American

FACT of the matter is both Games Rose Played in the USA LOST !
Old 03-08-17, 06:26 PM
All Ohio

Soccer Toe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
FACT of the matter is both Games Rose Played in the USA LOST !
The fact is that Rose did not play ECNL and the fact is she is better than any player that you coached.
Old 03-08-17, 07:02 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Why wasn't Klingenberg playing?
Old 03-08-17, 07:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Why wasn't Klingenberg playing?
She has been having lingering back problems/pain. She would have been key in staving off those attacks and runs by Thomis.
Old 03-08-17, 07:37 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
She has been having lingering back problems/pain. She would have been key in staving off those attacks and runs by Thomis.
Thanks. Klingenberg doesn't get the credit she deserves, IMO. She's a very important piece on the back line.
Old 03-08-17, 08:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucknut3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Toe View Post
The fact is that Rose did not play ECNL and the fact is she is better than any player that you coached.
She was a discovery player for OE. She did play ECNL but continued to be carded with CUP.
Old 03-10-17, 11:54 AM
All American

More post-SBC analysis -

The USWNT has a lot of questions to answer after finishing last in the SheBelieves Cup

The video in the article, showing Eugenie Le Sommer torch Becky Sauerbrunn, Allie Long, and Alyssa Naeher, was pretty indicative of the organizational problems shown by the defense throughout the match. Again, why was Allie long playing as a central defender?

More lack of organization shown here. What was Casey Short thinking? Eve Perisset is probably licking her chops in anticipation of schooling the defense.

Near the end of the article are a few quotes by Ellis and one from Carli Lloyd that are a bit confusing.

Ellis had this to say about Lavelle - “What's her best role? I mean she's still kind of new with us so I think tonight in a game where I thought she did very well wide — and she's a natural lefty so we like her out there ... I think she did great. So we'll see in terms of where she ends up."

Playing her on the left because she's a lefty??? If that was her faulty logic, and she stuck to it, why mover Rose to the right vs France? Why have her playing wide to begin with? Did Ellis play soccer? I'm just not a fan of Ellis. Tony Gustavsson should be the head coach. As one of the assistants he needs to start wielding more influence.

Ellis also said that Short and Naeher "took steps forward" against France! Steps forward and toward what? Both played bad. Short is a good player but don't play her wide as a back in a 3-5-2. She needs to get up the field.

The last quote in the article, from Lloyd, shows her blaming the young players somewhat. From all footage that I saw of the tournament, Lloyd looked bad. She should not be deflecting the spotlight from her performance. She is as much to blame as anyone. And her comment of "The real focus is 2019" is laughable. She should not be on the team in 2019. We don't need another Abby that doesn't know when it's time to go.
Old 03-10-17, 12:24 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More post-SBC analysis -

The USWNT has a lot of questions to answer after finishing last in the SheBelieves Cup

The video in the article, showing Eugenie Le Sommer torch Becky Sauerbrunn, Allie Long, and Alyssa Naeher, was pretty indicative of the organizational problems shown by the defense throughout the match. Again, why was Allie long playing as a central defender?

More lack of organization shown here. What was Casey Short thinking? Eve Perisset is probably licking her chops in anticipation of schooling the defense.

Near the end of the article are a few quotes by Ellis and one from Carli Lloyd that are a bit confusing.

Ellis had this to say about Lavelle - “What's her best role? I mean she's still kind of new with us so I think tonight in a game where I thought she did very well wide — and she's a natural lefty so we like her out there ... I think she did great. So we'll see in terms of where she ends up."

Playing her on the left because she's a lefty??? If that was her faulty logic, and she stuck to it, why mover Rose to the right vs France? Why have her playing wide to begin with? Did Ellis play soccer? I'm just not a fan of Ellis. Tony Gustavsson should be the head coach. As one of the assistants he needs to start wielding more influence.

Ellis also said that Short and Naeher "took steps forward" against France! Steps forward and toward what? Both played bad. Short is a good player but don't play her wide as a back in a 3-5-2. She needs to get up the field.

The last quote in the article, from Lloyd, shows her blaming the young players somewhat. From all footage that I saw of the tournament, Lloyd looked bad. She should not be deflecting the spotlight from her performance. She is as much to blame as anyone. And her comment of "The real focus is 2019" is laughable. She should not be on the team in 2019. We don't need another Abby that doesn't know when it's time to go.

That up, back, and through movement by France was beautiful. Pull the defenders to you, play it back, find the free man (woman). Agreed was really poor defending. Can tell that a couple of them have not played in the back much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-17, 02:57 PM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More post-SBC analysis -

Lloyd kinda insinuated that during the post game as well. She can do some good things, she always could but she makes so many bad decisions in between them I'd have to agree she's got to go.

That picture explains some of the issues long had , the biggest issue is Short. Long is concerned with 3 girls and one the outside girl is so open it's comical. That was right before she received the ball, beat short (who had to dead sprint in a failed attempt to recover,) to the end line and crossed it for a goal. Long was hung out to dry and Short did that near same thing 4-5 other times. I can't imagine what Ellis was doing running a 3 back system with Short on the outside, other than making more bad decisions for the world to see.

I thought Lavelle started poorly vs. England and settled in nicely. Honestly doing better as an outside than when she was switched to the center. I thought she was wholly ineffective vs. France. The only players that made me feel like something was going to happen were Pugh and Dunn and both of them had mistakes (who doesn't honestly), but they were stuck chasing because the D could not hold and the outside backs could not push up enough to be options.

3 back set against France who is fast and dynamic with Long and Short on D...Man it's honestly like she did it on purpose.
Old 03-10-17, 08:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut3 View Post
She was a discovery player for OE. She did play ECNL but continued to be carded with CUP.
That is an interesting term for Rose and OE's relationship. It sure implies a difference than what is reality … gotta love those alternative facts. My daughter never played on the same team with Rose, just against her. I'm just glad to see another player from the Cincinnati area doing well.
Old 03-11-17, 05:58 PM
Junior Varsity

She is listed as an OE player on ECNL official website since she played in an ECNL event under OE. I will get you the link.
Old 03-11-17, 05:59 PM
Junior Varsity

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
U20 US Women's National Team Roster:
(1) *Katelyn Rowland - San Juan SC
(2) *Christina Gibbons - CASL
(3) *Cari Roccaro - Albertson Fury
(4) *Brittany Basinger - FC Virginia
(5) *Rose Lavelle - Ohio Elite
(6) *Taylor Racioppi - PDA
(7) *Savannah Jordan - Concorde Fire
(8) *Summer Green - Michigan Hawks
(9) *Makenzy Doniak - Slammers FC
(10) *Lindsey Horan - Colorado Rush
(11) Rachel Hill - Seacoast United
(12) *Mallory Pugh - Real Colorado
(13) Carlyn Baldwin - BRYC
(14) *Nickolette Driesse - PDA
(15) *Margaret Purce - Maryland United
(16) *Stephanie Amack - Mustang SC
(17) *Andi Sullivan - Bethesda SC
(18) *Jane Campbell - Concorde Fire
(19) Kaleigh Riehl - BRYC
(20) *Katie Naughton - Sockers FC
(21) *Rose Chandler - Concorde Fire
*denotes ECNL Alum
Old 03-11-17, 08:51 PM
All Ohio

Bucknut3,
You didn't tell me anything that I did not know. It is intriguing that someone would say ECNL Discovery Player or that OE or the ECNL would take any credit in her development. You are entitled to your opinion.
Old 03-12-17, 11:10 AM
Junior Varsity

The term discovery player is used for those type of players who play in showcases but are carded with another team. Wasn't presenting anything "new" just a response to your curious comment regarding her status. I have no dog in the fight either way was just presenting info.
Old 03-12-17, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut3 View Post
The term discovery player is used for those type of players who play in showcases but are carded with another team. Wasn't presenting anything "new" just a response to your curious comment regarding her status. I have no dog in the fight either way was just presenting info.
soccer toe is probably just responding as such due to ecnl/ohio elite claiming Lavelle as one of their own in the past.

How many games did rose play with ohio elite as a guest payer? 2 or 3? I guess in their eyes that was enough to take credit for her development. Why shouldn't they? Players magically develop into super studs after being exposed to Doug's transcendental coaching methods for only a few days. He probably did a lot more for Lavelle's development than Neil Bradford or Brian Page ever did!

Last edited by Juan Pelota; 03-12-17 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-12-17, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
the bitter heart eats its owner
Old 03-12-17, 05:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Juan your sarcasm is appreciated sir! LOL!
Old 03-13-17, 01:33 PM
All American

Soccer Joe

First no one said anything about Rose Playing ECNL ?

You brought that up ? Why? start more crap ?

One thing I know for sure, this city got a whole lot better when you stopped coaching, Thanks for being a good sport and knowing when to hang it up !
Old 03-13-17, 01:40 PM
All American

The above is spot on !

These players are the best we have to offer ?

What a joke !

Can someone please teach proper defense , it is not that hard, first off why try to play 3 in the back against great teams ?

Does Jill Ellis think we are such studs we only need to defend with three ?

Poor decisions all over the field, goes back to teaching the game , not routines Athletic players don't overcome poor decisions.

Might want to find some smarter players, leave the BBAll players on the court ?
Just a thought
Old 03-13-17, 05:32 PM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The above is spot on !

These players are the best we have to offer ?

What a joke !

Can someone please teach proper defense , it is not that hard, first off why try to play 3 in the back against great teams ?

Does Jill Ellis think we are such studs we only need to defend with three ?

Poor decisions all over the field, goes back to teaching the game , not routines Athletic players don't overcome poor decisions.

Might want to find some smarter players, leave the BBAll players on the court ?
Just a thought
I think a 3 back system is actually a more conservative defensive formation. The 4 back system has to Center backs and the Outside Backs tend to push and join the attack. This puts more pressure on the two remaining Center Backs. A 3 back system guarantees that there will be 3 Center Backs, and typically, there are two Swing Backs that can come back, providing up to 5 Backs.

I heard a coach say that a 3 back system is often deployed when there is less confidence in the team's ability to build from the back and respond to counter attacks
Old 03-14-17, 06:36 AM
All American

Jill is confused between a soccer player and an athlete.
There is a difference.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: