Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-10-17, 08:15 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Goldsberry?
Old 03-10-17, 08:54 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Goldsberry?
Robert was an assistant coach this year
Old 03-10-17, 06:40 PM
All District

gwoctalk
Is Andy Holderman still the girls coach at Tipp? If so would he have any interest? I know he was a varsity assistan at BUtler for awhile. And I believe he put in for the varsity head men's job once or twice. He was a pretty good player at WSU. I don't know how well he can coach but he is already there as a teacher and leader of the women's program.
Old 03-10-17, 09:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoctalk View Post
Is Andy Holderman still the girls coach at Tipp? If so would he have any interest? I know he was a varsity assistan at BUtler for awhile. And I believe he put in for the varsity head men's job once or twice. He was a pretty good player at WSU. I don't know how well he can coach but he is already there as a teacher and leader of the women's program.
He's a good coach but I don't think he would move over to the boys
Old 03-11-17, 10:22 PM
All District

gwoctalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
He's a good coach but I don't think he would move over to the boys
Gotcha, thanks for the reply
Old 03-21-17, 09:43 AM
Varsity

basketballdayton is on a distinguished road
Holdermann has applied for the position, or at least that is the rumor......
Old 03-21-17, 04:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdayton View Post
Holdermann has applied for the position, or at least that is the rumor......
I would be shocked if it happens but he was the freshman boys coach a couple years ago. Hard to imagine he would have anywhere near the same success as he did on the girls side.
Old 03-21-17, 07:45 PM
All District

HSsportfan is on a distinguished road
1. Ray Z would be a great choice but I think he is happy at TC. He has already had opportunities to come back to Tipp and chose to stay with TC.

2. Everyone knows that the program under Pond only had success due to Ray Z's involvement. They were average before and after Ray. Only good Pond years were with Ray calling the shots. Agree that someone needs to come in and STAY like Pond but with Ray's knowledge.

3. Holderman wanted the boys job two years ago. Doesn't surprise me that he wants it now. His son will be coming through the system. Won't have the success he did in girls, but his preference has always been to coach boys. May solve a couple issues - a. no teaching job to offer new coach and he wouldn't need one and b. Porto wants to be head coach of girls.

4. It is too early to judge ability of new AD. Honeymoon phase now. Wait a couple years, watch his first couple major decisions. Previous AD was loved in first several years. BTW, the recruiting seminar he just held, previous AD held three with the same company and one with a panel of college coaches. New AD is doing NOTHING that the previous AD didn't do. Although new AD has spent a significant amount of money on backdrops, carpets for under chairs, signs, window decals, etc.. Very nice curb appeal purchases but money that could have been used to buy the new FB jerseys instead of robbing the FB fundraising account to buy them!!! Not sure what your personal vendetta is with previous AD, but he was no were near as bad as you continually portay him to be on Yappi.

5. New AD had nothing to do with new stadium project. Parents were finally frustrated enough with Board and Super to force the issue. Last bond issue that new super tried to pass without the stadium failed miserably, just like she was told would happen without stadium attached. She had no intent in her building plans to include the stadium. Then she bought the land next to HS to move stadium there and the parents finally had enough and forced the issue and location. City council helped force location. She has spent her career at Tipp undermining athletics - not allowing staff to coach as elementary principal, not hiring teachers that also coach as asst super (until directed by super to hire coaches). By allowing parents to work on stadium she is attempting to cover up her hatred of athletics.

5. It doesn't matter what position of authority you hold in Tipp. After a few years of making decisions, disciplining students (especially when it's admin and board member kids), making cuts, determining playing time, etc., even the loved fall out of favor. Just be careful, Tipp people will do whatever it takes to get rid of people no longer in favor. Maybe that is why coaches don't think Tipp is a good place to coach???

6. For the students, I hope Tipp finds a great person who has knowledge of the game, is a good role model, and is willing to stay for ten plus years!!!!
Old 03-22-17, 02:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSsportfan View Post
1. Ray Z would be a great choice but I think he is happy at TC. He has already had opportunities to come back to Tipp and chose to stay with TC.

2. Everyone knows that the program under Pond only had success due to Ray Z's involvement. They were average before and after Ray. Only good Pond years were with Ray calling the shots. Agree that someone needs to come in and STAY like Pond but with Ray's knowledge.

3. Holderman wanted the boys job two years ago. Doesn't surprise me that he wants it now. His son will be coming through the system. Won't have the success he did in girls, but his preference has always been to coach boys. May solve a couple issues - a. no teaching job to offer new coach and he wouldn't need one and b. Porto wants to be head coach of girls.

4. It is too early to judge ability of new AD. Honeymoon phase now. Wait a couple years, watch his first couple major decisions. Previous AD was loved in first several years. BTW, the recruiting seminar he just held, previous AD held three with the same company and one with a panel of college coaches. New AD is doing NOTHING that the previous AD didn't do. Although new AD has spent a significant amount of money on backdrops, carpets for under chairs, signs, window decals, etc.. Very nice curb appeal purchases but money that could have been used to buy the new FB jerseys instead of robbing the FB fundraising account to buy them!!! Not sure what your personal vendetta is with previous AD, but he was no were near as bad as you continually portay him to be on Yappi.

5. New AD had nothing to do with new stadium project. Parents were finally frustrated enough with Board and Super to force the issue. Last bond issue that new super tried to pass without the stadium failed miserably, just like she was told would happen without stadium attached. She had no intent in her building plans to include the stadium. Then she bought the land next to HS to move stadium there and the parents finally had enough and forced the issue and location. City council helped force location. She has spent her career at Tipp undermining athletics - not allowing staff to coach as elementary principal, not hiring teachers that also coach as asst super (until directed by super to hire coaches). By allowing parents to work on stadium she is attempting to cover up her hatred of athletics.

5. It doesn't matter what position of authority you hold in Tipp. After a few years of making decisions, disciplining students (especially when it's admin and board member kids), making cuts, determining playing time, etc., even the loved fall out of favor. Just be careful, Tipp people will do whatever it takes to get rid of people no longer in favor. Maybe that is why coaches don't think Tipp is a good place to coach???

6. For the students, I hope Tipp finds a great person who has knowledge of the game, is a good role model, and is willing to stay for ten plus years!!!!
Shomper by all accounts was a horrible AD, nobody liked him. When your accused of stealing thousands of dollars I typically don't trust or like you. I'm not sure what you think a football fundraising account is for, but I would assume purchasing jersey's would be on that list. Curb appeal or not, it's the little things this AD is doing like the backstop, that make our athletics even better.
Old 03-22-17, 06:54 PM
All District

Like I said, Tipp people will do anything to get rid of a person. Even ruin a good man by making things up. Anyone who takes this job needs to be very careful!!

Really curious of your connection to Tipp. You run in much different circles than most as your account of previous AD is way off. Almost slanderous!!!
Old 03-22-17, 06:59 PM
All District

Fundraising accounts should assist with purchases but not the entire amount. Football brings in the most ticket revenue and deserves something out of ticket revenue for uniforms. Shouldn't have to pay 100% out of fundraising and without discussing with the football coach.

Previous AD just got football uniforms 4-5 years ago. ZERO came from football fundraising. Ticket revenue and boosters shared the expense.

Agree that fundraising is there but should not have to pay for all of it.
Old 03-23-17, 05:53 AM
All District

powerpost is on a distinguished road
It is well known that tipp is a tough place to coach because of parents. Their talent is very good. Their kids have strong fundamentals and have invested a lot of time in their sport.

but winning is not enough over there, you have to win the way the parents want and with certain kids playing and certain style of play.
Old 03-23-17, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Like I said, Tipp people will do anything to get rid of a person. Even ruin a good man by making things up. Anyone who takes this job needs to be very careful!!

Really curious of your connection to Tipp. You run in much different circles than most as your account of previous AD is way off. Almost slanderous!!!
What I have read in the newspaper, the previous AD had a major legal issue. Is that not true?
Old 03-23-17, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
What I have read in the newspaper, the previous AD had a major legal issue. Is that not true?
Yes
Old 03-25-17, 12:27 AM
All District

in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Newspapers painted an ugly picture to sell papers but what has he been charged with???? Started investigation in August 2015 if not earlier. Searched his home and office February 2016. It's almost April 2017 and I have not heard of any charges??? Like I said, they will do anything to get rid of people.
Old 03-27-17, 08:09 AM
All District

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
HSsportfan, I for the most part agree with you. But I would hate to think that a small group has caused Tipp to be seen as a tough place to coach. I think the Stahley experiment was a failure as he was there when the worst of the parents were going through and his ego and their bad attitudes clashed. Overall, I think Tipp is pretty normal. Heck, in the mid-00's Ray Z was the most demanding parent, but fortunately he had coaching skills and it all worked out. But looking at history, Burbacher coached football there for 20-some years. Pond coached boys basketball until his dream job at home in Covington came open. Tom Rettig was mad that Todd Varvel stole the girls job from him, and then found out Varvel loved money more than coaching. Cahill has coached baseball 15 years beyond what he should have...and I know parents that tried to get rid of him and couldn't. So history would say, it isn't so bad. And I don't know who TippisGreat runs with but to say nobody liked him is quite an overreach. Plenty of people liked him, mostly because he was an improvement over Sakal and Farkaski and brought tournament games to the new gym. Would love to see Goldsberry take over, but since he isn't an educator, he would be at risk of building a program and having it taken out from under him, ala Rettig/Varvel. Go Tipp!!
Old 03-27-17, 08:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Newspapers painted an ugly picture to sell papers but what has he been charged with???? Started investigation in August 2015 if not earlier. Searched his home and office February 2016. It's almost April 2017 and I have not heard of any charges??? Like I said, they will do anything to get rid of people.
I am not sure of the facts, but I thought a plea deal was reached between the AD and the board.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...fbqPeRInL0d3H/

From above your paragraph, it sounds like this could have been some type of setup/witch hunt. Since the authorities got involved, that would even be a more interesting story than the original. I believe no other chargers were brought due to the plea deal as the board dropped the charges.

Was this man innocent and another Tipp City shake down? That would even be more interesting than the original story.
Old 03-27-17, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCoolDevil View Post
HSsportfan, I for the most part agree with you. But I would hate to think that a small group has caused Tipp to be seen as a tough place to coach. I think the Stahley experiment was a failure as he was there when the worst of the parents were going through and his ego and their bad attitudes clashed. Overall, I think Tipp is pretty normal. Heck, in the mid-00's Ray Z was the most demanding parent, but fortunately he had coaching skills and it all worked out. But looking at history, Burbacher coached football there for 20-some years. Pond coached boys basketball until his dream job at home in Covington came open. Tom Rettig was mad that Todd Varvel stole the girls job from him, and then found out Varvel loved money more than coaching. Cahill has coached baseball 15 years beyond what he should have...and I know parents that tried to get rid of him and couldn't. So history would say, it isn't so bad. And I don't know who TippisGreat runs with but to say nobody liked him is quite an overreach. Plenty of people liked him, mostly because he was an improvement over Sakal and Farkaski and brought tournament games to the new gym. Would love to see Goldsberry take over, but since he isn't an educator, he would be at risk of building a program and having it taken out from under him, ala Rettig/Varvel. Go Tipp!!
Geesh, you lumped in about 4 personal attacks there. If you are involved in the Tipp city community, the above paragraph is telling about the rumor mill your town may gravitate to. Calling out someone for a love of money on a public board? Harsh.
Old 03-27-17, 10:22 AM
All District

The resignation agreement was forced on previous AD. All that did was officially get him off school payroll and protect school district from lawsuit from previous AD. Why would they need protection from a lawsuit???? Investigation continued and to my knowledge has not been closed.
Old 03-27-17, 10:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The resignation agreement was forced on previous AD. All that did was officially get him off school payroll and protect school district from lawsuit from previous AD. Why would they need protection from a lawsuit???? Investigation continued and to my knowledge has not been closed.
If I am an innocent, love my community and my job and have support of my peers, I am lawyering up and fighting adminstration. Something does not add up to me.

I am not close to the situation as some seem to be though.
Old 03-27-17, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

wrestlingdad33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I will have to back TippIsGreat on this one. Old AD was D ouche Flute and I would not have urinated on him if he was on fire!
Old 03-27-17, 12:03 PM
All District

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Geesh, you lumped in about 4 personal attacks there. If you are involved in the Tipp city community, the above paragraph is telling about the rumor mill your town may gravitate to. Calling out someone for a love of money on a public board? Harsh.
If you think there are 4 attacks, then I have not written this well. There is but one and I was a backer, because the rules are the rules and if a system says, we prefer to having a coach that teaches in another district than a non-educator, then that's what should happen regardless how much the non-educator is loved, or how loud they holler. But that backing wavered when wins were choked away and girls were not put in the proper position to win and was totally turned sour when he walked away with five games to go in the season to grow his drug company. And don't get me wrong, some of my favorite people are in his pyramid and I wish them well, but to walk away mid-season is telling of someone's character to me. So I will accept your term...harsh. And hopefully you didn't misread my Ray Z statement because he has fewer fans larger than me. He did things totally right, given his skills. He made sure that Kellen was surrounded with a cast of characters that would help him elevate to the highest level. Compare that to fathers that tout their kid alone and I will take the Ray Z way everyday....mostly because 10 to 15 other boys benefitted.
Old 03-27-17, 12:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCoolDevil View Post
If you think there are 4 attacks, then I have not written this well. There is but one and I was a backer, because the rules are the rules and if a system says, we prefer to having a coach that teaches in another district than a non-educator, then that's what should happen regardless how much the non-educator is loved, or how loud they holler. But that backing wavered when wins were choked away and girls were not put in the proper position to win and was totally turned sour when he walked away with five games to go in the season to grow his drug company. And don't get me wrong, some of my favorite people are in his pyramid and I wish them well, but to walk away mid-season is telling of someone's character to me. So I will accept your term...harsh. And hopefully you didn't misread my Ray Z statement because he has fewer fans larger than me. He did things totally right, given his skills. He made sure that Kellen was surrounded with a cast of characters that would help him elevate to the highest level. Compare that to fathers that tout their kid alone and I will take the Ray Z way everyday....mostly because 10 to 15 other boys benefitted.
Here was the four I read (paraphrased)

... Ray Z over controlling parent
... Varvel loved money more than coaching.
... Cahill has coached baseball 15 years beyond what he should have...
... Sakal and Farkaski stuggles in their job

You put those four on blast as the kids would say. My point is, that seems what Tipp is about these days. Everyone has an opinion on another persons profession, and will discuss it open and free.

The community should not wonder why a system that should have everything a coach would want, may/is/could struggle finding the right candidates to coach a program with proud tradition in a strong conference.
Old 03-27-17, 03:41 PM
All Ohio

The notion that Cahill should have stopped 15 years ago is absurd. He is a hall of fame coach and will be top 10 all time in wins before he is done, that is one man that has ran a clean, respectable program.
Old 03-30-17, 11:57 AM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Shomper by all accounts was a horrible AD, nobody liked him. When your accused of stealing thousands of dollars I typically don't trust or like you. I'm not sure what you think a football fundraising account is for, but I would assume purchasing jersey's would be on that list. Curb appeal or not, it's the little things this AD is doing like the backstop, that make our athletics even better.
Where charges filed?
Old 03-30-17, 12:02 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If I am an innocent, love my community and my job and have support of my peers, I am lawyering up and fighting adminstration. Something does not add up to me.

I am not close to the situation as some seem to be though.
If true, would you be accused? I have heard the accusation was dismissed once the guy walked away and his career was ruined. Makes someone wonder why the administration would not keep going if it was true.
Old 03-30-17, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
the AD at tipp (JD) is a great guy and will hire the right guy for the job. sucks to see turn over like that though , I commend the kids for sticking with it!
Old 03-31-17, 09:05 AM
All District

Charges have not been filed against previous AD. Investigation continued AFTER separation agreement was signed. Agreement just set terms to ending his employment at Tipp. Had nothing to do with investigation. It is not closed to my knowledge. Shame that he has no closure after 18 months.

I'm sure AD will have a limited say in the hire of a new coach, just like previous AD. Super loves committees and will follow their input more than AD input. Super's involvement is pretty scary. Her athletic knowledge is limited and she chased away candidates in previous coaching interviews.

Curious what previous AD did to you guys??? For years you've called him names and said he's awful but you've never cited one reason.
Old 03-31-17, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

wrestlingdad33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Charges have not been filed against previous AD. Investigation continued AFTER separation agreement was signed. Agreement just set terms to ending his employment at Tipp. Had nothing to do with investigation. It is not closed to my knowledge. Shame that he has no closure after 18 months.

I'm sure AD will have a limited say in the hire of a new coach, just like previous AD. Super loves committees and will follow their input more than AD input. Super's involvement is pretty scary. Her athletic knowledge is limited and she chased away candidates in previous coaching interviews.

Curious what previous AD did to you guys??? For years you've called him names and said he's awful but you've never cited one reason.
If you ever had the chance to have a conversation with him for more than 30 seconds you would fully understand our stance on the former AD
Old 04-03-17, 09:31 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
Quote:

In my experience with uniforms at multiple schools over the years no funds have ever come from specific sport account. Uniforms came from Athletic Department funds for every sport. Specific fundraising accounts went to teams to buy drill equipment, summer tournaments entry fees, t shirts for kids, etc. May not be every school but this was my experience.