Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 07:36 AM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
...also don't forget he coached at St X...was he required to have a licence there? I would say yes...
Absolutely... You have to have a Pupil Activity Permit to Coach Any Sport, at Any Level, Paid or Volunteer if you are sanctioned by the OHSAA
Old 04-20-17, 07:52 AM
All District

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Actually it does not mean forever, period, no exceptions. A candidate with a Certificate for Qualification for Employment must be reviewed by ODE (or any other state licensing agency) on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes ODE says yes, sometimes no. Now apparently in this case ODE said no, and had said no previously. It is one of the most important administrative jobs of an AD to make sure that all of the licensing for coaches is up to date and correct.

Which brings us to an earlier point, every coach for every sports team (even a volunteer) needs to be licensed in order to coach. That applies to St. X as well as Walnut Hills.
His credentials were permanently denied in 2013. Is there a new meaning to the word permanently that I am unaware of?
Old 04-20-17, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
All this drama over there at Walnut was about one thing:

"JUST WIN BABY, JUST WIN!!!"
Old 04-20-17, 07:55 AM
All Region

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Who will be interested in this job? I know Pflug from Aiken wants it (Alum). Any other names?
Old 04-20-17, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
All this drama over there at Walnut was about one thing:

"JUST WIN BABY, JUST WIN!!!"
And they still didn't.
Old 04-20-17, 08:20 AM
All District

icecold is on a distinguished road
Amazing how the marketing ploy of send your kids private....chooses to forget that this guy's coached at ST. X as well. So where does that fall in your marketing piece...?lol

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 08:20 AM
All District

icecold is on a distinguished road
Guy

Old 04-20-17, 08:57 AM
All Region

Onyx is on a distinguished road
A few things here:

I am actually shocked that the State did something. I agree this was apparently a no brainer from different directions, but how often have we seen the State make appropriate, timely, quality decisions
St. X should be held accountable as well for this. Do I think they should get some sort of crazy penalty? No...but please stop with the holier than thou argument. It's like college football. The program you love is as clean as a whistle, but the one you hate is a bunch of dirty cheatin SOB's! Let's take those sweet bomber blinders off and call a spade a spade. If the most basic and obvious step a coach/volunteer needs to be around H.S. was ignored, what else do they overlook?
Feel bad for the players. They bought into this dude. They're 120+ days from kickoff and are coachless. I agree Pflug is the man for this gig! Once again and adult ruins something for a kid.
Is this really a loss? This guy has players offered by Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, UC, Toledo etc., and he mustered 3 wins?!?!?!?!?!!? He must be of the Larry Cox coaching tree!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-17, 09:00 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
A few things here:

I am actually shocked that the State did something. I agree this was apparently a no brainer from different directions, but how often have we seen the State make appropriate, timely, quality decisions
St. X should be held accountable as well for this. Do I think they should get some sort of crazy penalty? No...but please stop with the holier than thou argument. It's like college football. The program you love is as clean as a whistle, but the one you hate is a bunch of dirty cheatin SOB's! Let's take those sweet bomber blinders off and call a spade a spade. If the most basic and obvious step a coach/volunteer needs to be around H.S. was ignored, what else do they overlook?
Feel bad for the players. They bought into this dude. They're 120+ days from kickoff and are coachless. I agree Pflug is the man for this gig! Once again and adult ruins something for a kid.
Is this really a loss? This guy has players offered by Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, UC, Toledo etc., and he mustered 3 wins?!?!?!?!?!!? He must be of the Larry Cox coaching tree!!!!!!!
Pflug is the man for this job! 100 percent agree!
Old 04-20-17, 09:09 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Isn't former PM head coach Brian Miller on staff? Wonder if they'll make the easy hire and go with him?

Pflug applies for every job posted, so I'm sure he will apply for this one. I'm curious as to why no one hires him?
Old 04-20-17, 09:16 AM
All American

thehawg27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Amazing how the marketing ploy of send your kids private....chooses to forget that this guy's coached at ST. X as well. So where does that fall in your marketing piece...?lol

He's a Colerain boy so lets blame them too He was merely doing it the "Colerain" way
Old 04-20-17, 09:34 AM
All Region

cinfbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeCoach View Post
Who will be interested in this job? I know Pflug from Aiken wants it (Alum). Any other names?
Yeah Pflug has applied for every other opening this offseason...but at least one article said they are going hire an interim.

Maybe Ryan Drake would be interested.

Or maybe Guy Westmoreland would be.
Old 04-20-17, 09:36 AM
All Region

Hiring Pflug leaves Aiken where at this time of year???

That would be wrong as far as those kids are concerned. This is part of the problem with that kind of hire. You don't hire a current HC in April if you want to stop disrupting programs.
Old 04-20-17, 09:40 AM
All Region

Onyx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfbfan View Post
Hiring Pflug leaves Aiken where at this time of year???

That would be wrong as far as those kids are concerned. This is part of the problem with that kind of hire. You don't hire a current HC in April if you want to stop disrupting programs.
If the new CPS AD is involved I'm sure he'll work to make the best decision. His past decisions have been awesome...ha!
Old 04-20-17, 09:47 AM
All District

Yeah, like firing Drake for playing ELIGIBLE players.
Old 04-20-17, 09:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
If the new CPS AD is involved I'm sure he'll work to make the best decision. His past decisions have been awesome...ha!
You have a point!
Old 04-20-17, 10:05 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
His credentials were permanently denied in 2013. Is there a new meaning to the word permanently that I am unaware of?
I really don't want to go down this road, because the coach was not qualified by the state, but a Certificate of Qualification for Employment is something that someone who has been permanently banned applies for in order to get the ban lifted. Getting one is simply the first step. It means that a state licensing agency (in this case ODE) must examine the application (on a case by case basis) and decide whether or not to issue a license (lift the ban) to that applicant.
Old 04-20-17, 10:17 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
I really don't want to go down this road, because the coach was not qualified by the state, but a Certificate of Qualification for Employment is something that someone who has been permanently banned applies for in order to get the ban lifted. Getting one is simply the first step. It means that a state licensing agency (in this case ODE) must examine the application (on a case by case basis) and decide whether or not to issue a license (lift the ban) to that applicant.
Ok, so this is the appeals process? I didn't know that one could do that once ODE permanently denied credentials.
Old 04-20-17, 10:34 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok, so this is the appeals process? I didn't know that one could do that once ODE permanently denied credentials.
There have beeb a couple of court rulings that basically said that there cannot be a blanket, unalterable civil penalty for criminal convictions that outlasts the duration of the criminal penalty. Largely because those civil penalties are extremely unequally applied. So we have a process that allows one to petition to lift the civil sanction. It is very important for people (school administrators) to understand that getting the first certificate just means that the licensing authority has to look at the particulars of the case. In this case the fact that he was apparently working at St. X and Walnut without a license probably didn't help in getting ODE to make the decision to license him.
Old 04-20-17, 10:40 AM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
in the legal document posted here it states that one can appeal the decision
Old 04-20-17, 10:58 AM
Junior Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So I was wrong and knew nothing about a Certificate of Qualification. Looked it up and Lainhart did get one in 2015 from Butler County Court. http://www.drc.ohio.gov/Portals/0/CQ...-01-095943-687

However, he then reapplied to ODE in 2016 after being hired and was denied again. It looks like the Certificate has nothing to do with the dept of education. It was a state law that was passed in 2012 and found under Ohio dept of rehabilitation website. The certificate alone was not enough to allow him to coach, as in 2013 the state PERMANENTLY denied him. His conviction, even if expunged must be something that would make him permanently unable to work in the dept of education. Walnut should have checked to see if he had a student permit and when they found out he did not, they should of acted to remove him and others
Old 04-20-17, 11:31 AM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
Walnut should have checked to see if he had a student permit and when they found out he did not, they should of acted to remove him and others

He should have never been hired until AFTER he had his credentials. Same with Mixon and Wollet. Why Donnelly hired them without certification already in hand is a question that needs to be answered(and makes one wonder how many other Walnut Hills coaches have been allowed to skirt that rule during Donnelly's tenure there).
Old 04-20-17, 12:02 PM
All District

ndatrenches2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeCoach View Post

Would be very surprised if Pflug takes it! He has things rolling up on the Hill! BUT home is home!
Old 04-20-17, 12:04 PM
All District

I find it funny that this has 4 pages of responses! He did what he did and I am surprised that people are surprised! These things happen more than people want to know!
Old 04-20-17, 12:36 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndatrenches2 View Post
I find it funny that this has 4 pages of responses! He did what he did and I am surprised that people are surprised! These things happen more than people want to know!
I find it hard to believe that any other program:

A. Actively recruits players from other teams

B. Allows students-athletes from other schools to attend their workouts

C. Allows their HC to coach without a Pupil Activity Certificate

Old 04-20-17, 01:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
I find it hard to believe that any other program:

A. Actively recruits players from other teams

B. Allows students-athletes from other schools to attend their workouts

C. Allows their HC to coach without a Pupil Activity Certificate

I just meant the conversational recruiting that was happening where coaches "suggest" they should come to their school.

The other items YES they are absurd! Plus should have never happened.
Old 04-20-17, 05:07 PM
All District

whizzel is on a distinguished road
and, here's some food for thought......does Walnut wait until the new A. D. takes over July 1 to hire the new head coach or does the Donnelly, the current A. D. who created this mess hire the new coach
Old 04-20-17, 05:54 PM
Freshman

AlwaysAnEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
Isn't former PM head coach Brian Miller on staff? Wonder if they'll make the easy hire and go with him?

Pflug applies for every job posted, so I'm sure he will apply for this one. I'm curious as to why no one hires him?
Pflug just won the District Coach of the Year Award and turned a job no one wanted into a playoff team... wouldn't you go after bigger fish too? As for why not him - he's been linked to Badin, Purcell and Princeton. Lost out to a guy from Badin, a guy from Princeton and a former GCL guy.

He's young. His time will come... could even be now. As an alum of Walnut, I'm sure he's on their list.
Old 04-20-17, 07:04 PM
Freshman

GapDownBacker is on a distinguished road
Is Coach Pflug a teacher?
Old 04-20-17, 07:10 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzel View Post
and, here's some food for thought......does Walnut wait until the new A. D. takes over July 1 to hire the new head coach or does the Donnelly, the current A. D. who created this mess hire the new coach

I'd say the safest bet you can make is that Donnelly will have no input whatsoever on Lainhart's replacement.