Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-05-17, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFBInsider View Post
Nothing to see folks, keep moving. Let the powers to be handle their business and I'm sure they have more answers than "yappi" posters. Walnut is a good school and I'm sure they will figure it out. To be baffled by anything these days tell me you don't get out much...just sayin'
For you wasting your first post on this tells me YOU don't get out at all! So how long have you been stalking this thread before you decided to dust off the laptop and defend Squeaky Clean Walnut?
Old 04-05-17, 10:46 AM
All District

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nothing to see folks, keep moving. Let the powers to be handle their business and I'm sure they have more answers than "yappi" posters. Walnut is a good school and I'm sure they will figure it out. To be baffled by anything these days tell me you don't get out much...just sayin'
It is beyond baffling. How is it not? How is a coach who doesn't have a permit to work with kids, allowed to work with kids?!?!
Old 04-05-17, 03:55 PM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
When alumni stop cutting checks there will be swift action. This stuff brings negative attention to the school over something that isn't really essential to the school.
Old 04-05-17, 05:22 PM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
It is against state law for anyone with a declined or no pupil activity permit to coach or teach in Ohio.

So.............
Old 04-05-17, 05:53 PM
Junior Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
CPS is aware of his status according to Scott Springer's twitter post on March 15th. He stated lawyers were involved and that Lainhart's future coaching status would be evaluated following a resolution with the dept of education. Lainhart probably got the conviction expunged, but it still showed up when he applied and submitted his fingerprints.
Old 04-05-17, 06:31 PM
Freshman

CincyFBInsider is on a distinguished road
Somebody is on to something....Like I said earlier. Nothing to see here folks, move on. But I'm impressed with all the Walnut Pub!
Old 04-05-17, 07:19 PM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
It is an ODE violation to supervise any sport without credentials, period. It is also mandatory that any coach, even volunteers get pupil activity. As someone who has actually volunteered in CPS, it's all over in all of their handbooks and policies.
Old 04-05-17, 08:15 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
Lainhart probably got the conviction expunged, but it still showed up when he applied and submitted his fingerprints.
As someone noted earlier, expungement would not matter for his particular felony conviction.

Bottom line is this - Walnut Hills' AD allowed three guys without the state-required credentials(two who have been permanently banned by ODE) to coach last football season. At the very least the school faces fines from OHSAA for each coach, and depending on AD Donnelly's knowledge of their status, possibly worse. Of course, Donnelly is gone after this year anyway, so it's not his mess to clean up if any appeals by Lainhart are denied(which is likely)
Old 04-13-17, 11:22 AM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
End of the school year is rapidly approaching, guess nothing is going to happen ��
Old 04-13-17, 03:56 PM
Freshman

Refer to first few posts. It will save you on time. There is nothing to see her folks, keep moving.
Old 04-13-17, 04:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Someone needs to call Walnut or the CPS board of Education and ask why a convicted felon who has no professional license and is permanently denied from holding a license, why he is allowed to be on school property and working out his players. He was just on twitter 2 days ago talking about workouts with the team??? or maybe we are all missing something and no one is required to have a license anymore? Not a personal beef, just a mind boggling thing how this can be going on in high school sports.
Old 04-13-17, 07:59 PM
All American

Remember, it took OHSAA five months to conduct the DPS investigation. I dont think they've been on this Walnut issue more than a month or so(plus they were probably preoccupied with DPS until last week).

Patience people. Patience.
Old 04-14-17, 06:43 AM
All Region

One would think that ODE would be in on this as well. Also, it's been over a month since the Enquirer's Scott Springer tweeted about the lawyers thing which brought to light the no credentials. Where's he been on this?
Old 04-14-17, 07:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
Remember, it took OHSAA five months to conduct the DPS investigation. I dont think they've been on this Walnut issue more than a month or so(plus they were probably preoccupied with DPS until last week).

Patience people. Patience.
This should not primarily be about OHSAA, it's 100% on the Cincinnati Public Schools. I'm sure he is a great person and hard working coach, but they hired a convicted felon who KNEW he was not allowed to hold a state license, it was denied in 2013. He took a job, he knew he was not allowed to legally hold, THEN, Cincinnati Public failed to verify a valid state license. NOW, they are continuing to allow an unlicensed person to still identify himself as the head football coach and continuing to work in the building and with the student athletes. Liability nightmare and setting a precedent that the rest of their employees can't be fired and do not need valid licenses.
Old 04-14-17, 08:11 AM
All Region

Quote:
Liability nightmare and setting a precedent that the rest of their employees can't be fired and do not need valid licenses.
This is an excellent point. Maybe all of the CPS teachers that need to renew their licenses should just not do it and save themselves the $200 fee to ODE. I mean, accountability procedures, protocol, and laws clearly do not matter anymore.
Old 04-14-17, 10:39 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Wasn't he an assistant coach at St X before getting this position? Are head coaches only required to hold a certificate from the state? Seems like anyone involved with kids should hold some type of certificate stating they have a clean background to work with kids.
Old 04-14-17, 11:26 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
Wasn't he an assistant coach at St X before getting this position? Are head coaches only required to hold a certificate from the state? Seems like anyone involved with kids should hold some type of certificate stating they have a clean background to work with kids.
Not sure of the requirements or license for assistant coaches, but I would think they would be required to have Student Activity permit also. As far as catholic schools, I would think they would also be required to have a permit through the state. Catholic archdiocese requires volunteers to be fingerprinted and do a Virtus training, but not sure if St. X is considered part of the Archdiocese?

Either way now that Walnut is aware of him being unlicensed and having a conviction for a disqualifying felony (even if expunged) I would think Walnut would be required to act. They could place him on administrative leave until whatever issues his attorney is alleging is finalized. Plus I think someone earlier said the coaching contracts are year to year. Isn't he done with his contract from last year or had they already given him a new one?
Old 04-15-17, 09:04 PM
Freshman

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops42 View Post
I don't believe anything will happen at Walnut at all. Josh and Tom are honorable men. No way any rules were broken.

Proof?
Old 04-19-17, 01:48 PM
Freshman

Now there is a story... lol
Old 04-19-17, 01:52 PM
Junior Varsity

Hot off press, from Scott Springer on twitter, he is out! Love how they worded it "agreed to part way,". I would look for more to come from OHSAA
Old 04-19-17, 04:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Somebody is on to something....Like I said earlier. Nothing to see here folks, move on. But I'm impressed with all the Walnut Pub!
Looks like there is plenty to see since the latest post states that they "have agreed to part ways." What does Walnut do now, it's very late in the year and who is going to want to be the third head coach in 3 years? They really weren't competitive this past year despite what the walnut faithful will have you believe. Once they got into ECC play, they pretty much became the doormats of the conference. Yet another CPS mess.
Old 04-19-17, 07:41 PM
Junior Varsity

I love how CPS word's their press release...what a joke. "He was issued a certificate of Qualification for Employment in November 2015" I know of no such thing and this is definitely not a state issue thing. Maybe he printed off a certificate from the internet, saying he had taken coaching classes, so he was qualified to be a coach? Then it says he "refiled" If Cincinnati would have checked they would have seen he was denied in 2013, then again in 2016. CPS def dropped the ball. I feel bad for the kids, but CPS let them down from the initial hiring of someone who legally can't hold the position and Lainhart let them down by taking a coaching position HE KNEW he legally was not allowed to hold. Yes he was young and dumb in his early 20s and shouldn't have to be penalized his whole life, but somethings you do have lasting consequences....and a felony Burglary conviction is one of them.

It may be "serious" and "against the rules" for CPS that their coach was texting kids about transferring to play at Walnut, but I guess having 2 convicted felons on your coaching staff is not SERIOUS enough to act upon until OHSAA stepped in? CPS admits they were aware of issues with his license, but they allowed him to still be in the building and around the kids.

Last edited by tune89; 04-19-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 08:29 PM
All Region

Brokamp said, "Everyone has to follow the rules..." Except for Mr. Brokamp hiring a coach illegally without ODE credentials.

This smells of coverup. I say again, CPS Athletic Director Josh Hardin was Walnut's Assistant AD when this hire was made, and somehow becomes the Athletic Director for a district of over 10 high schools without ever being a school AD? Seems he skipped an important step, possibly to cover this up. Brokamp is leaving this year as well as Walnut's AD. Also, Superintendent leaving. I think this needs more digging and seems CPS has quite the issues like their DPS neighbors.
Old 04-19-17, 09:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Brokamp said, "Everyone has to follow the rules..." Except for Mr. Brokamp hiring a coach illegally without ODE credentials.

Ultimately the buck stops with Brokamp as principal, but this falls at the feet of Tom Donnelly, who was the administrator responsible for making sure Lainhart(and assistants) all had their certifications in order. I doubt Brokamp had any idea he had a problem, until he had a BIG problem.

Regarding the Qualification for Employment certificate - that is a legitimate vehicle by which those with otherwise disqualifying convictions get a chance to apply for a given job. Key word - APPLY. ODE still had to give the OK, and obviously they did not. Where Donnelly screwed up was allowing these guys to coach before their cases were settled with the ODE(and as far as I know, there hasnt been any change in status)
Old 04-19-17, 10:05 PM
Freshman

Absolutely agree that this whole thing smells of something ungodly! How does Josh Hardin get promoted to a highly visible position with more responsibility when he can't simply vet proper candidates for (1) coaching vacancy? Seems to be an easy interview...You're either "eligible " to coach or "ineligible " to hold such position? This is exactly what's wrong with CPS. Parents BEWARE, save your kids the heartbreak and send them private. CPS is a mess. Invest in your kids education!
Old 04-19-17, 10:46 PM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
Last time I checked Donnelly is the AD so the buck stops with him. In regards to Hardin, he applied interviewed and was offeres the job. Clearly the hiring g party felt differently than some of you. Finally walnut regardless of this snafu is still the best public school and possibly best school in the state. This doesn't tarnish the academic legacy of that school.
Old 04-20-17, 06:16 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Absolutely agree that this whole thing smells of something ungodly! How does Josh Hardin get promoted to a highly visible position with more responsibility when he can't simply vet proper candidates for (1) coaching vacancy? Seems to be an easy interview...You're either "eligible " to coach or "ineligible " to hold such position? This is exactly what's wrong with CPS. Parents BEWARE, save your kids the heartbreak and send them private. CPS is a mess. Invest in your kids education!
Sounds like CincyFBI has a beef with Josh or maybe his brother or friend didn't get the job Josh did? I just don't see where all the blame falls on him....some yes, but primarily Donnelly and Lainhart himself. Lainhart must have a Yuge ego that he thinks he is above the rules, first to txt other students and then to even take a job he knows he legally can't hold. He let a lot of kids down! also don't forget he coached at St X...was he required to have a licence there? I would say yes

Walnut is a great academic school, but they should probably stick to that. This really does tarnish their reputation. Basketball already has enough recruiting and shaddy stuff going on with players not even attending the school and taking online classes. I look for OSHAA to come down on Walnut and hopefully it is HARD, to show other schools, especially GCL this stuff can't happen anywhere.
Old 04-20-17, 06:27 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love how CPS word's their press release...what a joke. "He was issued a certificate of Qualification for Employment in November 2015" ............................................
Certificate for Qualification for Employment, is a state program designed to gain relief from restrictions preventing those with criminal records from being licensed.
Old 04-20-17, 06:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Certificate for Qualification for Employment, is a state program designed to gain relief from restrictions preventing those with criminal records from being licensed.
Yes, this is true, but it is not all career fields. ODE clearly states that his conviction is an unemployable offense..... that means forever, period, no exceptions.
Old 04-20-17, 07:10 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Yes, this is true, but it is not all career fields. ODE clearly states that his conviction is an unemployable offense..... that means forever, period, no exceptions.
Actually it does not mean forever, period, no exceptions. A candidate with a Certificate for Qualification for Employment must be reviewed by ODE (or any other state licensing agency) on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes ODE says yes, sometimes no. Now apparently in this case ODE said no, and had said no previously. It is one of the most important administrative jobs of an AD to make sure that all of the licensing for coaches is up to date and correct.

Which brings us to an earlier point, every coach for every sports team (even a volunteer) needs to be licensed in order to coach. That applies to St. X as well as Walnut Hills.