Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-16-17, 06:56 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Does climate really matter? Of Ohio State's 12 regular season games in 2016, only 1 started with a temperature below 40 degrees (Michigan State). The average temperature at game time for all 12 games was 60 degrees. There were just as many games (3) with temperatures above 70 as below 50. It's actually some what of a myth that B1G games are played on frozen fields amid blizzard-like conditions.
No which is the reason I posted what I did.
Old 01-16-17, 09:12 PM
All District

FB4EVer is on a distinguished road
The recruiting game is all based on what combine, camp and showcase you are willing to pay to go display yourself. The gurus at ESPN, Scouts and Rivals are influenced by the money coming from Nike and Under Armour. The study that needs to be done to show the value of Ohio players involves transfers. It would be interesting to see the transfer rate of southern players and "multi star prima donnas" compared to the team oriented and quality work ethic kids from Ohio. Our kids,seem to more grounded than Florida, Louisiana, California, Las Vegas and Texas kids.
Old 01-17-17, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I don't think it's an Ohio thing. Between inner-city football numbers dwindling and suburban mommies and daddies being reluctant to let their little boys play due to concussion and injury concerns, the game is increasingly losing top notch athletes. Unfortunately, it is only going to get worse.
Old 01-17-17, 09:33 AM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I generally think Ohio is about where we've been the last couple decades in terms of talent being produced.

The change is in how OSU operates under Urban with it being a truly national program.

IMO, this actually decreases my interest in Ohio State. The part I liked about watching OSU is that 60-80% of the kids were Ohio kids. I probably got to watch a certain number of them play in high school, know the schools they went, etc. That's what creates the connection for me to OSU despite not being an alum. It's why I prefer the college game to the pros.
Old 01-17-17, 09:37 AM
All American

I don't think this is limited to just cold/snow in terms of winter-like conditions. It's more the blowing rain cold that you do see on a regular basis in B1G country. And that trickles down to November high school playoff games as well.

Quote:
Does climate really matter? Of Ohio State's 12 regular season games in 2016, only 1 started with a temperature below 40 degrees (Michigan State). The average temperature at game time for all 12 games was 60 degrees. There were just as many games (3) with temperatures above 70 as below 50. It's actually some what of a myth that B1G games are played on frozen fields amid blizzard-like conditions.
Old 01-17-17, 11:19 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
I believe that spring football would help. IMO look at how dominant southern ohio has been lately (Cincy and Dayton area). Those kids play in Kentucky during the spring. There is a huge difference between the kids from Winton Woods that travel all year round vs the kids from NEO that only travel in the fall. They are usually more developed by the time high school rolls around. Recruiting is steadily evolving and has become a big business. I do believe that spring football would help in OH but i also don't think its doable for the smaller division schools. That would hinder track and baseball. Imagine a kid missing the league championship because a D1 scout was at spring practice
Old 01-17-17, 12:41 PM
All American

I honestly have no frame of reference to determine if any of this is true. Wouldn't have been my first thought.

And can college coaches stop with the "we want guys who play multiple sports" schtick. If spring ball is your goal for Ohio, you obviously don't support multi-sport athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
I believe that spring football would help. IMO look at how dominant southern ohio has been lately (Cincy and Dayton area). Those kids play in Kentucky during the spring. There is a huge difference between the kids from Winton Woods that travel all year round vs the kids from NEO that only travel in the fall. They are usually more developed by the time high school rolls around. Recruiting is steadily evolving and has become a big business. I do believe that spring football would help in OH but i also don't think its doable for the smaller division schools. That would hinder track and baseball. Imagine a kid missing the league championship because a D1 scout was at spring practice
Old 01-17-17, 01:50 PM
All American

Stizostedion
Spring football does not mean a thing for high school kids. Ohio State has always been a national program when it comes to recruiting but Urban is taking it a degree further. I think in his zeal to get the top kids in the country he might be bypassing some real good talent in Ohio but you can not argue with his results. The same thing is going on at other major powers. They all recruit Florida and Texas and California. They also recruit Ohio. There are Ohio kids on the rosters of practically every top program in America. The kids that are bypassed at Ohio State are going to other Big Ten schools or they are going to MAC schools. Now look for them to end up at second tier SEC schools too. Kentucky is the first to figure out they can recruit high caliber talent out of Ohio that will help them win seven or eight games a season and get to a bowl. They could care less about beating Alabama or LSU. They just want to be competitive. Look for Vanderbilt and South Carolina and other schools like that to jump on the band wagon. No there is no drop off in the talent of Ohio high school football players.
Old 01-18-17, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
All 50 states ranked based on elite recruits. Ohio is 5th
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...xas-california
Old 01-18-17, 01:26 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
A lot of schools in the south who have spring football have 10 days of practice after the spring seasons are over. Many of the college coaches visit their high schools campus and watch the practices. I feel you have a better chance of Bing seen or found if there is a spring practice.
Old 01-19-17, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyap View Post
A lot of schools in the south who have spring football have 10 days of practice after the spring seasons are over. Many of the college coaches visit their high schools campus and watch the practices. I feel you have a better chance of Bing seen or found if there is a spring practice.
Exactly and sense the games don't count a lot of teams play against schools in the spring that they are reluctant to face in the season. But what really caught my eye was wathching the show Friday Night Tykes. The jr high kids play for the middle school and the local pee wee/pop warner team. Thats a lot of mileage but it seems to work for them
Old 01-19-17, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
I can't speak for the rest of the state, but interest is definitely declining in Southwest Ohio. The crowds have absolutely plummeted even at the GCL schools. They no longer play Division 1 playoff games at big venues like UC. Plus the games are now on Friday's as opposed to Saturday's. They don't even pack Mason HS for the big playoff matchups like Elder-Colerain or Colerain-St X.
Old 01-23-17, 10:31 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
How much does specialization in other sports hurt football talent? Definitely some basketball players That look like they could have drawn some football recruiting interest.
Old 04-18-17, 06:33 PM
Freshman

drew2732 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I don't think this is limited to just cold/snow in terms of winter-like conditions. It's more the blowing rain cold that you do see on a regular basis in B1G country. And that trickles down to November high school playoff games as well.
It rains in the south too. I remember watching Baylor vs. TCU a couple of years ago. It was in the upper 30s and pouring down rain. That's hellish for everyone, being from the north isn't really going to give you an advantage.

I remember listening to Wayne vs. St. Edward on the radio back in 2010. The game was being played at Fawcet Stadium and the Wayne commentators couldn't get over the fact that Fawcet stadium was closer to Lake Erie, colder, and therefore, of course, St. Ed had a HUGE advantage That couldn't be any further from the truth. At kickoff it was 28 degrees in Canton and 28 Dayton. Both locations received light snow that night- They made it sound like Huber Heights (Dayton) Wayne was from Florida or something. It was pretty frustrating to listen to.

Last edited by drew2732; 04-18-17 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 12:15 PM
All American

I think it's a bigger deal than you admit. I was at that Wayne-Eds game.
It wasn't "light snow". But I get your point that Dayton to Cleveland isn't a huge difference. I do think that style of play is an issue related to weather. There are plenty of spread pass heavy teams that struggle come playoff time when they have to deal with regular 20-30 mph winds.

In general, the ACC and SEC play the majority of their games in ideal conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2732 View Post
It rains in the south too. I remember watching Baylor vs. TCU a couple of years ago. It was in the upper 30s and pouring down rain. That's hellish for everyone, being from the north isn't really going to give you an advantage.

I remember listening to Wayne vs. St. Edward on the radio back in 2010. The game was being played at Fawcet Stadium and the Wayne commentators couldn't get over the fact that Fawcet stadium was closer to Lake Erie, colder, and therefore, of course, St. Ed had a HUGE advantage That couldn't be any further from the truth. At kickoff it was 28 degrees in Canton and 28 Dayton. Both locations received light snow that night- They made it sound like Huber Heights (Dayton) Wayne was from Florida or something. It was pretty frustrating to listen to.

Old 04-19-17, 04:05 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I think it's a bigger deal than you admit. I was at that Wayne-Eds game.
It wasn't "light snow". But I get your point that Dayton to Cleveland isn't a huge difference. I do think that style of play is an issue related to weather. There are plenty of spread pass heavy teams that struggle come playoff time when they have to deal with regular 20-30 mph winds
Yeah true, it's not really a north-south thing. I have no doubt in my mind that Alabama could come up to Columbus in November on a regular basis and be very competitive...especially with the style of offense they run.

St. Eds could have been from Georgia and they still would of had the advantage over Wayne in that game.
Old 04-19-17, 04:29 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for there to be some sort of spring football scrimmages in Ohio, at least for the kids that don't play a spring sport.
Old 04-19-17, 05:52 PM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Modern recruiting rankings, if you buy into them, certainly reflect declining talent in the state of Ohio (blue-chip talent at least). Population shift, spring football, and the accelerated evaluation periods have all played a role in the decline (or perceived decline) of Ohio football talent. USAToday used to have a pretty cool interactive map that tracked where every NFL player drafted since 1988 came from. I think they quit updating it a few years back. There are several other studies you can find out there on the web which track FBS signees per year by state. Basically what they show is that Ohio has been replaced by Georgia in the top 4 along with the big three of Cali, Texas, and Florida. Ohio has held pretty steady at the 5 spot in terms of FBS signees and players drafted into the NFL, with slight variations year to year.
This is of course all true, and of course the average fan really cannot know this simply by watching high school football in the state.
Old 04-20-17, 01:35 PM
All American

SVillegrad
This is something that has been discussed for more than a decade. At least by one metric (number of players drafted to the NFL), it's hard to say that there has been any noticeable decline. And in fact, recently, the state is consistently producing more draft picks now than it was 15-20 years ago.

I went back and looked at each draft since 1998. (I went back to 98 because A) wiki bio pages aren't as thorough before then; and B) going back further was starting to get to where I was recognizing less and less of where players were from without clicking.)

I may have missed a couple players here or there, but I'm confident that this is accurate to within 95 percent.

Here is the number of Ohio prep players drafted each year:
97: 7 ... (1 1st; 3 2nd; 3 3rd; 1 sixth)
98: 11 ... (2 1st; 2 2nd; 1 3rd; 1 4th; 2 5th; 3 7th)
99: 6 ... (2 1st; 1 2nd; 1 4th; 1 6th; 1 7th)
00: 7 ... (2 1st; 1 4th; 4 7th)
01: 7 ... (1 1st; 2 2nd; 3 6th; 1 7th)
02: 10 ... (1 2nd; 6 4th; 1 5th; 1 6th; 1 7th)
03: 9 ... (1 2nd; 5 3rd; 2 4th; 1 5th)
04: 14 ... (2 1st; 1 2nd; 3 3rd; 2 4th; 1 5th; 1 6th; 4 7th)
05: 8 ... (1 2nd; 3 3rd; 2 5th; 2 7th)
06: 13 ... (4 1st; 2 3rd; 5 4th; 1 5th; 1 7th)
07: 14 ... (3 1st; 1 3rd; 2 4th; 4 5th; 2 6th; 2 7th)
08: 12 ... (1 2nd; 4 3rd; 3 4th; 2 6th; 2 7th)
09: 16 ... (2 1st; 2 2nd; 2 3rd; 2 4th; 5 5th; 1 6th; 2 7th)
10: 11 ... (1 2nd; 1 3rd; 1 4th; 3 5th; 1 6th; 4 7th)
11: 10 ... (1 2nd; 2 4th; 2 5th; 4 6th; 1 7th)
12: 15 ... (2 1st; 4 2nd; 2 3rd; 2 5th; 3 6th; 2 7th)
13: 11 ... (2 2nd; 3 3rd; 2 4th; 1 5th; 1 6th; 2 7th)
14: 10 ... (2 2nd; 2 3rd; 1 4th; 2 5th; 3 7th)
15: 8 ... (2 2nd; 3 4th; 1 5th; 1 6th; 1 7th)
16: 11 ... (3 1st; 3 3rd; 4 4th; 1 7th)

So between 97-05, the state reached double digits three times in nine drafts; since 05, the state has reached double figures 10 times in 11 years.

Then, if you look at this year's draft projections, this could be the state's best crop in the past 20 years. nfldraftscout (CBS) lists 22 players it believes has a chance at being drafted, and 17 players ranked within the top 225 (there are 253 draft picks).

The top end talent will be as high as 2006 as three players (Marshon Lattimore, Mitch Trubisky and Taco Charlton) seem like top 15 locks. Then Gareon Conley and DeShone Kizer still look like they have great chances to go in the first. After that, Jake Butt was also a first-round lock before his injury. There are several more guys who could go in the 2nd round.

It's hard to put too much stock into this, but I looked at draftscout's early position rankings for 2018 and 2019 and a ton of Ohio kids ranked highly. So, doesn't seem like the talent is going to fall off within the next couple of years.

While that shows the talent hasn't dropped off in the last 20 years, it doesn't compare it to say 30-40-50 years ago. So, I went back to 1990, 1980 and 1970 drafts and looked at the top of those (no way I was trying to go past the first two rounds in those years)

Anyway, in those three years, you have:

1990: 2 (1 first; 1 second)
1980: 4 (2 first; 2 second)
1970: 3 (1 first; 2 second)

Those are three random drafts, so it's hard to draw too much conclusion, but at the top end, none of them seem noticeably different than any of the recent drafts.
Old 04-20-17, 02:02 PM
Varsity

Impalaman
The city school districts of Youngstown, Canton, and Warren once had 12 high schools that had football teams. Now there are 3. How much more talent would those cities be producing if the steel mills were still open.
Old 04-20-17, 02:20 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaman View Post
The city school districts of Youngstown, Canton, and Warren once had 12 high schools that had football teams. Now there are 3. How much more talent would those cities be producing if the steel mills were still open.
I think that area is why there is a perception that the state is producing less talent. If you would go back 30 to 40 years ago, Stark County and the Mahoning Valley were both probably right behind Cleveland and Cincinnati ... and above Columbus, Dayton and Akron. Now, those areas have fallen to the Nos. 6 or 7 spots at best (Toledo may actually be above them now).

I'll have to break down the draft numbers per area, but just from going back and looking, it seems like Cleveland and Cincinnati area still producing the same number of players they historically have. Then Columbus and Dayton seem to be on the upswing, while Stark County/Mahoning Valley seem to be producing less.
Old 04-22-17, 03:44 PM
All American

SVillegrad
I've been doing a lot of looking at different mock drafts and prospect rankings (I'm a Browns fan ... so the draft is a big deal, until the team ultimately blows it).

Anyway, here is the list of Ohio prospects that could hear their names called.

The Locks (These guys have been mocked or ranked within the top 250 on every site)

1. Marshon Lattimore (Glenville): Consensus top 10 pick

2. Mitch Trubisky (Mentor): Consensus first round pick

3. Gareon Conley (Massillon): Most now have him in the first; looks like early second at worst.

4. Taco Charlton (Pickerington Central): Near consensus first round; along with Conley looks like early 2nd is the lowest.

5. DeShone Kizer (Toledo Central Catholic): He's a bit polarizing. Could go top 10 or may slide to the second; but I'm guessing he goes in the first.

6. Chris Wormley (Toledo Whitmer): Seems like he is consistently getting mocked/ranked in the second round ... though Walterfootball has his draft range rounds 1-2. Doubt he goes in the first, but second seems likely.

7. Jake Butt (Pickerington North): He was a first round lock (probably top TE in the draft) if not for the ACL injury. But it seems like he is a consensus second rounder.

8. Dawuane Smoot (Groveport-Madison): He's fallen off a bit (a couple months ago, was in a lot of first round mocks). Now, looks like he's sitting in the second to early third round range.

9. Pat Elflein (Pickerington North): Another guy who is falling a bit. But some still have him ranked/mocked in early to mid second; but others have him as low as the fourth.

10. Adam Shaheen (Sunbury Big Walnut): Looks like he will go early. Some rankings/mocks have him in the 3rd or 4th ... others have him going in the the second round.

11. Kareem Hunt (Willoughby South): Looks like Hunt's stock is rising. Pro Football Focus seems to really like him, having him ranked as the No. 58 prospect (second round); but most have him in the third-fourth round range.

12. Tyler Orlosky (Lakewood St. Edward): Fox Sports has him going higher than Elflein, but all the others have Elflein above him. But looks like he's going to get taken in rounds 3-5.

13. Michael Roberts (Cle. Benedictine): He's slotted in the 150-175 range by just about everybody; so looking at rounds 4-5.

14. Ben Gedeon (Hudson): Doesn't look like he will go higher than maybe fifth round, but all the sites have him being taken.

More than likely:

15. Shelton Gibson (Cleveland Heights): A couple sites only went out to top 200 and he wasn't ranked, so won't put him in as a lock. Though, he's ranked as high as the No. 10 WR (walterfootball, which grades him in rounds 2-3). He probably made a mistake leaving early, but should get taken somewhere in the mid to late rounds.

16. Kyle Kalis (Lakewood St. Edward): I've seen him mocked as high as the fourth; then, like Gibson, he missed the top 200 in a couple rankings. But I've seen him listed on every actual 7-round mock, so I'm guessing he ends up a late-round pick.

50-50:

17. Pharaoh Brown (Lyndhurst Brush): He's similar to Kalis in the rankings, but I haven't seen him mocked higher than the 6th round.

18. De'Veon Smith (Waren Howland): He's been in most mocks/top 250s, but likely a 6th-7th rounder if he's drafted.

There's a chance:

19. Jalen Robinette (Bexley): He's popped up on one mock draft and pro football focus (PFF) has him as their 180th prospect, so he could end up getting picked late.

20. Najee Murray (Steubenville): PFF has him ranked No. 181 and I've seen him on another mock, so like Robinette could be a late pick.

21. Ifeadi Odenigbo (Centerville): He showed up late on one mock I saw.

22. Storm Norton (Tol. Whitmer): Haven't seen him on any mocks, but CBS has him ranked as the No. 213 prospect, which is in the 7th round range.

23. Jerome Lane (Akron Firestone): Haven't seen him in any mocks, but walterfootball has him graded in rounds 4-6. Another guy who made a mistake leaving early.

Would've been drafted:

*Jake Replogle (Centerville): He was on every early mock, but he decided to not pursue an NFL career.

--------

Overall, I think it's a near lock 16 players are drafted (which would tie with 2009 for the most the state has produced in the past 20 years). More than likely, that list goes to 18 and potentially 20-plus.

Just an educated guess that Ohio will come in at the No. 5 spot behind Florida, California, Texas and Georgia, but it will be enough ahead of whichever state comes in at the six spot to make it a "Big Five" and then the rest, since those five will probably account for well over 50 percent of players drafted.

Also, interesting to look at where this year's draft class talent is coming from. This is an extremely down year for SWO (which has had at least one player drafted every year since 1997). Columbus looks extremely strong, along with NEO (which has produced almost exactly 50 percent of the state's draftees over the past 20 years).

Of the players listed by region in Ohio:

NEO: 12
Central: 6
NWO: 3
SWO: 2 (Counting Replogle)
SEO: 1

Last edited by SVillegrad; 04-22-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 04:19 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Very good write-up!

Just one small correction: Jalen Robinette went to Bexley, not DeSales.
Old 04-22-17, 04:21 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Very good write-up!

Just one small correction: Jalen Robinette went to Bexley, not DeSales.
Thanks. Fixed it.
Old 04-22-17, 05:05 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
Where are you getting this southern Ohio dominance talk from?

Since 2010, Northeast Ohio schools have won 17 state titles. Southwest Ohio teams have won 10.

This past year, there were 33 players from NEO listed on NFL rosters. There were 26 from SWO.

This past year, there were 274 players from NEO on Division I college football rosters. There were 224 from SWO.

Since 2010, 36 players from NEO have been drafted to the NFL, compared to 24 from SWO.

Don't get me wrong, SWO has been holding its own, but these hypothetical spring trips to Kentucky elevating the region to dominating the rest of the state is simply not factual, and the above captures pretty much any metric you want to use.
Old 04-23-17, 02:48 PM
All District

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaman View Post
You are right on the money. California and Texas populations continue to grow. Folsom, in No. California was once Div.5, now they are a big school powerhouse. In Ohio's hey day, half of the Big 10 rosters as well as ND's were from Ohio. The entire Big 12, is loaded with Texas kids, likewise the Pac 12, and most western conferences are made up of Californians. It's not a question of less talent in Ohio, it's all about the numbers.
Old 04-23-17, 06:15 PM
All Ohio

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
All 50 states ranked based on elite recruits. Ohio is 5th
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...xas-california
I believe Ohio is the only state in the top 10 that does not have spring football.
Old 04-24-17, 08:15 AM
All Region

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh heck yes it does. That MSU game is a great example, it was incredibly windy and spitting rain as are most fall games. At the HS level we've seen this numerous times, team that runs the spread has a game in terrible weather, struggles to run the offense, and gets upset.

Let's not forget OSU nearly lost to a 4 win team who runs almost exclusively a power set in that game
Old 04-24-17, 11:33 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyeah19 View Post
Oh heck yes it does. That MSU game is a great example, it was incredibly windy and spitting rain as are most fall games. At the HS level we've seen this numerous times, team that runs the spread has a game in terrible weather, struggles to run the offense, and gets upset.

Let's not forget OSU nearly lost to a 4 win team who runs almost exclusively a power set in that game
Yes, but it's more about the offensive scheme and not really about climate.

A team from the south that possesses a power run style offense is still going to have the advantage over a Midwest team that runs the spread in those kinds of conditions.

Either way, I still think people are over-exaggerating how bad things get during November. The majority of the time the weather is still relatively decent. And it does get rainy, windy and cold in the south too.
Old 04-25-17, 06:21 AM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
How is football talent in Ohio declining?

Urban Meyer has taken Ohio State to a whole different level. He recruits the best in the country as well as Harbaugh. The best current college Ohio QB is at Ohio State (Joe Burrow).

The Big 10 and D1A is loaded with Ohio talent. Even Alabama had an Ohio starter.
There are just so many things wrong with this post. What does Ohio State or Michigan have to do with this? Ohio State's class of 2017 had 6 Ohio signees. They had a class of 21. 9/24 in 2016. 12/26 in 2015. Notice the downward trend?

Also, the best current college Ohio QB is a guy who hasn't started in college once and has only seen mop up duty against garbage teams? Are you sure it isn't the guy who's about to be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft in 2 days?

Are you talking about DePriest or Kelly? Either way both of those guys enrolled in college 6 years ago. Not much relevance on Ohio High School football talent today.