Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: What do the Browns do with the first pick?
Myles Garrett 24 57.14%
DeShaun Watson 4 9.52%
Mitch Trubisky 4 9.52%
Jonathan Allen 2 4.76%
Pick another player not listed 2 4.76%
Trade the pick 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 03-09-17, 03:42 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Wow. Osweiler, 2017 6th and a 2018 2nd for a 2017 4th? I don't care how bad he is, that's a great deal. Ya'll can cut him loose after next year for a small cap it, I believe.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 03-09-17, 03:46 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Agreed. Not bad. He sucks, but he's young and has showed signs of being decent at times.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-09-17, 03:52 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,645
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Apparently they're still looking to move Osweiler
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-09-17, 04:03 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Not sure who would want him or how they would get in a net positive post 2nd trade. If anyone else actually wanted him, they would have offered the same thing to the Texans. They're gonna have to offer a decent pick to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-09-17, 04:06 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,388
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
The Texans gave up a second[2018] and a 6th[2017] for a 2017 4th rd pick to get rid of him.
Cleveland is on the hook this year, but can cut him with no cap hit next year.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03-09-17, 04:08 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Ian Rappaport reporting Browns considering cutting Osweiler.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 03-09-17, 04:17 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,388
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
No, I don't think that, hence my entire post.
Reading comprehension was never my strong suit, deleted it.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 03-09-17, 04:21 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Hey, at least you can admit your short comings.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-09-17, 04:27 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,738
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Pretty sweet deal for the Browns
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-09-17, 08:04 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,283
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Reading comprehension was never my strong suit, deleted it.
At least you don't blame your short comings on "typos"
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-09-17, 10:09 PM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,291
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Pretty sweet deal for the Browns
Baseless optimism here, but I'm hoping the Osweiler trade for essentially a 2nd round draft pick next year is insurance for the 2nd round pick they would need to complete a trade with New England for Garrapolo. I'm not giving up hope on that. As a Browns fan, I can't.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-09-17, 11:37 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,645
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
What has Garoppolo shown that makes him worth a number of high picks?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-10-17, 03:44 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,037
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Pretty sweet deal for the Browns
A football team with a baseball front office made a basketball trade. Pretty odd.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-10-17, 03:48 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,037
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
What has Garoppolo shown that makes him worth a number of high picks?
In games ? Very little. He gets the ball out quickly and pretty accurately. My big gripe with the move is that he's one year away from huge money, with no guarantee of resigning after 1 year.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-10-17, 05:16 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,283
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
In games ? Very little. He gets the ball out quickly and pretty accurately. My big gripe with the move is that he's one year away from huge money, with no guarantee of resigning after 1 year.
I agree ... I liked Garoppolo coming out of college ... He has the look, good arm, good footwork, the game does not seem to be too big or fast for him. But, the last year of his contract bothers me, as well as BB seems to be upping the price everyother day ... I would give NE a fair offer, if they take it great, if not move on ... I would not give up the 1st pick for him, my offer would be conditional, one pick this year and one next year. The second pick, would be 4th rounder that could move up if he played well and re-signs.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-10-17, 07:50 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,279
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Pretty sweet deal for the Browns
Basically bought a 2nd rd pick for $16m.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-10-17, 08:05 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
At least you don't blame your short comings on "typos"
Still can't provide anything to back your claim that 13 players weren't/aren't difference makers. How pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-10-17, 08:14 AM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,291
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
What has Garoppolo shown that makes him worth a number of high picks?
It's more a matter of muted desperation after so many swings and misses at the position. Garappolo has very limited game experience in the NFL, but it's NFL experience. More so, he has four years learning under Belichick and Brady, he is more game ready than any of the quarterbacks in this draft, and the Browns don't have the luxury of developing a quarterback. Is he a slam dunk? Hell, no. But he is the better option, I believe, than any of the quarterbacks on which the Browns might spend a first round pick in this year's draft. Past first round picks of Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel have left Browns fans scarred for life. Garappolo brings no guarantees, but there's more to like than anything this year's draft offers. I hope they can get it done.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-10-17, 09:33 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,283
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Still can't provide anything to back your claim that 13 players weren't/aren't difference makers. How pathetic.
So you proved they were ???????

Quote:
I can do the same thing. You used zero evidence or stats to back your claims up.

Revis - one year. Top 3 CB. Difference maker
Seymour - Difference maker
Wilfork - Top 5 DT for most of his time with the Pats. Difference maker
Bruschi - Great player on some great teams. Difference maker
Harrison - 2003 and 2004, one of the best CBs in the league. Difference maker
Samuel - Difference maker. 10 interceptions and 24 passes knocked down in 2006.
Talib - 4 INT, 14 passes knocked down. Sealed the win in Atlanta with a knocked down pass. Differnece maker
Hightower - great. Difference maker. Just like the rest.

What about Ty Law? Jerod Mayo? Albert Haynesworth? Chandler Jones? Jamie Collins? Malcolm Butler?
That is your proof??? Or is this just one big typo?????

I just guess my idea of a difference maker is much different than yours ...

knocked down pass vs Atlanta to me does not make someone a difference maker ... to me Von Miller, JJ Watt, Richard Jefferson, Ray Lewis, Dion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor are difference makers ... Revis and Seymour are differences makers from your list ... the rest to me, are good players, some really good players, but not consistently great players, who controlled a game. To me you don't need stats to prove any of the above are difference makers, that is what makes them difference makers.

The best example is Tedy Bruschi ... a really good football player, but no one game planned for him ... yea, he helped make NE defense really good, but because he played good solid defense, not because he was so outstanding that you couldn't do anything.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-10-17, 09:56 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
I provided the same level of proof you did. It's common sense all of those players listed were highly talented and made a significant impact to the Patriots team. To say otherwise is just plain ignorance. It's not my fault you have a God awful definition of difference maker, aka "sure fire HOFer who has been on a team for 10+ years."

However you are right about one thing. I don't need stats to show that Ty Law, Revis Island, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Asante Samuel, Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones, Aqib Talib, Jamie Collins, Malcolm Butler all made a difference for the Patriots. The stats just back that claim.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-10-17, 10:21 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,669
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
What has Garoppolo shown that makes him worth a number of high picks?
What has any college QB shown?
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-10-17, 10:35 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
It's more a matter of muted desperation after so many swings and misses at the position. Garappolo has very limited game experience in the NFL, but it's NFL experience. More so, he has four years learning under Belichick and Brady, he is more game ready than any of the quarterbacks in this draft, and the Browns don't have the luxury of developing a quarterback. Is he a slam dunk? Hell, no. But he is the better option, I believe, than any of the quarterbacks on which the Browns might spend a first round pick in this year's draft. Past first round picks of Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel have left Browns fans scarred for life. Garappolo brings no guarantees, but there's more to like than anything this year's draft offers. I hope they can get it done.
Garoppollo certainly has a higher floor than the rookies. A little less uncertainty, but maybe not as high of a ceiling. He's certainly more ready to step in quickly.

Assuming the reports are true that the Pats won't deal him (which I believe is a smoke screen by the Pats to drive up his value), the last week has played out to make it more likely the Browns can get one of the top QB prospects at 12 as Buffalo and Chicago are now out of the mix for a QB. With any luck, SF can trade for Cousins, taking them out of the mix. On the other hand, that may all also be an indicator that the experts are not impressed by this year's QB class.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-10-17, 10:48 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
FWIW, I've read that the Bears won't necessarily abandon drafting a QB just because they have Glennon. He is only signed to a one year deal.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-10-17, 10:59 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
FWIW, I've read that the Bears won't necessarily abandon drafting a QB just because they have Glennon. He is only signed to a one year deal.
Big money for a bridge QB. I wasn't aware it was only a one year deal.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-10-17, 11:01 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Huh, apparently it is 3 years. Could have sworn I read one year yesterday. But this article still says he will likely be a bridge QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-chicago-bears

Quote:
The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback is joining the Bears on a three-year deal that includes $18.5 million in guarantees, sources informed of the deal told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Rapoport reported he expects the Bears to still select a quarterback as well, making Glennon a bridge quarterback in an ideal world.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-10-17, 11:05 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Huh, apparently it is 3 years. Could have sworn I read one year yesterday. But this article still says he will likely be a bridge QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-chicago-bears
I thought I'd heard 3 years. The Bears are taking some crap from fans who thought they should have saved the money and played down for the 1st pick next year to be first in line for USC's Darnold. That's a heck of a risk though as QB's can go the other way in a season, e.g. Watson, Connor Cook, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-10-17, 11:21 AM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,291
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Garoppollo certainly has a higher floor than the rookies. A little less uncertainty, but maybe not as high of a ceiling. He's certainly more ready to step in quickly.

Assuming the reports are true that the Pats won't deal him (which I believe is a smoke screen by the Pats to drive up his value), the last week has played out to make it more likely the Browns can get one of the top QB prospects at 12 as Buffalo and Chicago are now out of the mix for a QB. With any luck, SF can trade for Cousins, taking them out of the mix. On the other hand, that may all also be an indicator that the experts are not impressed by this year's QB class.
Kyle Shanahan covets Kirk Cousins and I seriously doubt San Francisco will burn the 2nd pick in the draft on one of the quarterbacks in this year's crop or trade such a high pick for Garappolo. Cousins wants to bolt Washington and he wants to play for Shanahan. He's an unrestricted free agent after this season so he can walk into the waiting arms of the 49ers unfettered. I think Washington and Dan Snyder, in particular, are downright foolish for not trying to get value for Cousins and seem to prefer that he just walk out the door after the 2017 season. By the same token, I think the same scenario faces New England. Do they get the max value they can for Garappolo or let him walk as an UFA after this year?
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-10-17, 11:31 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,038
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
Kyle Shanahan covets Kirk Cousins and I seriously doubt San Francisco will burn the 2nd pick in the draft on one of the quarterbacks in this year's crop or trade such a high pick for Garappolo. Cousins wants to bolt Washington and he wants to play for Shanahan. He's an unrestricted free agent after this season so he can walk into the waiting arms of the 49ers unfettered. I think Washington and Dan Snyder, in particular, are downright foolish for not trying to get value for Cousins and seem to prefer that he just walk out the door after the 2017 season. By the same token, I think the same scenario faces New England. Do they get the max value they can for Garappolo or let him walk as an UFA after this year?
I hope you're not expecting Dan Snyder to be anything but foolish! Classic Snyder to start the new NFL season with their GM issues. If SF is in love with Cousins as much as it appears, Washington needs to capitalize on it. Cousins is a decent QB, but he's not a top notch talent to lead a franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-10-17, 11:52 AM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,291
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I hope you're not expecting Dan Snyder to be anything but foolish! Classic Snyder to start the new NFL season with their GM issues. If SF is in love with Cousins as much as it appears, Washington needs to capitalize on it. Cousins is a decent QB, but he's not a top notch talent to lead a franchise.
They let Jackson and Garcon leave and apparently, Pryor just left Washington without a contract. That doesn't leave Cousins many options, at least at the moment. Have there been any Ray Farmer sightings in Washington? Sounds like he's advising the owner.

I agree that Cousins' value is inflated, but if you had the chance to get him, would you take the shot? I would.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-10-17, 12:20 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I thought I'd heard 3 years. The Bears are taking some crap from fans who thought they should have saved the money and played down for the 1st pick next year to be first in line for USC's Darnold. That's a heck of a risk though as QB's can go the other way in a season, e.g. Watson, Connor Cook, etc.
Agreed, especially on a guy who: 1) isn't even 20; 2) just finished his redshirt freshman year; 3) didn't even start a full season.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva One Who Knows General Board 4100 11-23-17 04:22 PM
Summit County Viking Memorial Pick 'em- Final Results clarkgriswold Football 12 12-08-16 08:44 AM
Browns Chasing History........ Pope Francis 1 Professional Football (NFL) 18 10-27-16 12:16 PM
D3, Region7: Canfield @ St. Vincent-St. Mary Irish60 Football 113 11-07-15 12:06 PM
Ohio Kids in the MLB Draft Yankeefan33 Baseball 9 06-27-15 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz