Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-23-16, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Yes. Out of the slums. It's rough.

Here's to hoping they stay!!

They'd lose games because scheduling games would remain difficult and they would still probably have to schedule a game or 2 a year that are very difficult challenges.

The move might have solved some issues for the school, but probably would have presented others.

I was all for a move, but it's a non-issue now
Old 12-23-16, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

goldentornado is an unknown quantity at this point
it seems the mooney faithful have a problem with hubbard. maybe they feel hubbard is dipping into their talent pool? Or a case of how dare they do what good ol' mooney has been doing for years , dont they know that recruiting is a birthright only bestowed upon the private schools.
Old 12-23-16, 02:29 PM
All Ohio

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Yes it is a shame what trashy people will do to an area!!! Good honest people want to get out of bad situations with all the drugs and violence to make better lives for the kids...We will take them with open arms.
Old 12-23-16, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Give Hubbard 5 years and the schools will start to look like Liberty. Only then will the people of Hubbard do something. Liberty didn't act and lost their schools.
Old 12-23-16, 06:44 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Give Hubbard 5 years and the schools will start to look like Liberty. Only then will the people of Hubbard do something. Liberty didn't act and lost their schools.
I'm hearing only 50 students for the entire school system are open enrollment. Hubbard is well aware of the Youngstown Liberty situation from what I'm hearing.
Old 12-23-16, 06:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARING-EAGLE View Post
Yes it is a shame what trashy people will do to an area!!! Good honest people want to get out of bad situations with all the drugs and violence to make better lives for the kids...We will take them with open arms.
Not all of them, only 50. The waiting list is very long and the buildings only hold so many students.
Old 12-23-16, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It sounds like to me that Mooney should have moved out of ghetto side of Youngstown to compensate for their mediocre coaching staff!!!Which explains why Hubbard has been getting a lot of decent transfers.....Who the hell wants to send their kids to school in a bad area of town!!!!
.....plus the parents pay a very high tuition to send their children to that school in the ghetto. Well at least some do that's not on vouchers.

I don't know how long they can maintain two private high schools in Youngstown. The logical move would be to sell Ursuline because their property value would be so much higher being right next door to Youngstown State's neighborhood, compared to Mooney's being right in the middle of a ghetto. I have many Ursuline alum in my neighborhood that would not be very happy consolidating with Mooney. They have a high degree of hatred for that school in the ghetto, it's kind of comical to hear them talk about it.
Old 12-23-16, 07:27 PM
Varsity

Point1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapper View Post
Not all of them, only 50. The waiting list is very long and the buildings only hold so many students.
50...not even close. There are 256 open enrollment students in Hubbard out of a total of 1990 students. So 13% of Hubbard enrollment if from outside their district. The Hubbard Schools have been given away. The Liberty analogy is very accurate.

The open enrollment data is listed on the schools own levy website.

http://www.hubbardlevy2016.com/copy-of-our-school
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub enrollment.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1407  
Old 12-23-16, 07:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm hearing only 50 students for the entire school system are open enrollment. Hubbard is well aware of the Youngstown Liberty situation from what I'm hearing.
I know they are. That's why I said it here. Figured you guy may of heard that too. Hubbard is just as close to it as Liberty is and Liberty is like a city school now days.
Old 12-23-16, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentornado View Post
it seems the mooney faithful have a problem with hubbard. maybe they feel hubbard is dipping into their talent pool? Or a case of how dare they do what good ol' mooney has been doing for years , dont they know that recruiting is a birthright only bestowed upon the private schools.
If you compare the environment goldentornado of both schools, they're light years apart. Hubbard selling itself against Mooney is really no competition anymore. The comparisons are astonishing.

I'm only talking about Hubbard since it's on a Hubbard thread, other suburban public schools will tell you the same thing about their schools vs. Mooney as well.
Old 12-23-16, 09:29 PM
All Ohio

Yes and with the school levy not passing....
Old 12-23-16, 11:13 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have not lived in Hubbard some years now, but it sounds like nothing has changed. Maybe people are tapped out?
Old 12-24-16, 12:16 AM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Lol no. That school levy was doomed from the start. It would have failed in any district in our area. Costs went over on a few projects. Instead of asking for a standard chunk the levy was going to require around $400 from each city household. The standard levys will still pass in Hubbard with ease. 1900 students? I'm assuming that's enrollment k-12. So 50 students grades 9-12 makes sense. I know for a fact hubbard cherry picks it's OE lists. It's not like it's a revolving door like the Liberty school district became. The amount of money alone put into hubbard schools, city buildings, and the police dept will keep the city thriving for years to come. Hubbard also has the advantage of having its own Township with some pricey housing. This is all good for the community. Even the city median home value is astronomically higher than the surrounding districts.
Old 12-24-16, 12:46 AM
All Yappi

Liberty had all that too!! Once upon a time.
Old 12-24-16, 09:51 AM
All American

And man were they good. 2005 squad had about 6 guys who could hit a homerun from anywhere on the field.
Old 12-24-16, 10:56 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
Look at all the data provided by the state report card...comparing liberty schools with Hubbard schools is ludicrous. Liberty has opened the flood gates to keep money coming in and when you "need" open enrollment kids to keep doors open then you are in trouble. Hubbard selectively chooses kids who bring something to the table...not sure exactly what that might be but the situations aren't comparable in my opinion. I am willing to bet that 13% open enrollment isn't a huge number either...1 out of 10??
Old 12-24-16, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

I'm talking Liberty 2003 not now. Liberty already lost their schools forever
Old 12-24-16, 11:30 AM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
I understand your point but there are alot of factors that went into the decline that aren't present in Hubbard right now. I get what your saying and its possible for a school system to be negatively affected by open enrollment but I very much doubt that is currently happening in Hubbard after looking at report card data. There is a difference when you need open enrollment and when you use it as a weapon. Western reserve doesn't need it but they use it, Hubbard is the same way in my opinion.
Old 12-24-16, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It didn't pass because of the size of the levy 7.3 mills I believe, and how vague the levy committee was on why they needed that much. Already they're talking about reducing the millage by almost half the next time they put it on the ballot.

I voted against it just on the size of the millage alone. I will rethink on how I vote next time on how well they present their case to the Hubbard community.

I'm already paying over $260 a month on property taxes and I don't mind paying, but please show me why and where you need this money. If your case is valid it will pass, I have no doubt, but don't take it for granted that it was automatically going to pass without more details.
Old 12-24-16, 12:37 PM
All American

Ditto^^^
Old 12-24-16, 01:36 PM
Varsity

Point1 is on a distinguished road
Actual ratio of open enrollment students is 1 per 7.69...not 1 per 10. Much too high if I was paying the taxes. I lived in Hubbard when Buchenic rolled out open enrollment. The taxpayers were promised that OE students would be capped at 12 per grade. Its an average of 21 per grade now. The board kept accepting more(selling the school district) when they couldn't balance the budget over the last decade.

Outside of truck stops, dollar stores and drug stores what new businesses do you see? The community is not exactly thriving. Lots of great people still in Hubbard but the community does remind me of Campbell and Liberty from 20 years ago.
Old 12-24-16, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

As a Hubbard tax payer I was never gonna vote that levy in. Nope.
Old 12-24-16, 09:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point1 View Post
Actual ratio of open enrollment students is 1 per 7.69...not 1 per 10. Much too high if I was paying the taxes. I lived in Hubbard when Buchenic rolled out open enrollment. The taxpayers were promised that OE students would be capped at 12 per grade. Its an average of 21 per grade now. The board kept accepting more(selling the school district) when they couldn't balance the budget over the last decade.

Outside of truck stops, dollar stores and drug stores what new businesses do you see? The community is not exactly thriving. Lots of great people still in Hubbard but the community does remind me of Campbell and Liberty from 20 years ago.
Yea not like there's not a brand new multi million dollar assisted living facility, state of the art schools and athletic facilities, new police and administration buildings... no offense but outside of 1 maybe 2 districts are exactly thriving in the area? Lol I'll wait......

The Mahoning Valley in general is about on par with each other minus poland and canfield.
Old 12-25-16, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point1 View Post
...and that's the perfect case why we need a Sonic down by Interstate 80 to make Hubbard thrive. Forget Point1, we all know how he feels about Hubbard, I want the Sonic for me!!!

Maybe that would actually help Point1 with his extremely low opinion of Hubbard. On second thought, I could care less what Point1 thinks about Hubbard.....

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-26-16, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

Don't put Poland and Canfield on a platform. They don't deserve it.
Old 12-26-16, 10:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yes you are true in saying that!!! When the school was built it was built on the number of the amount of kids that went to school in the Hubbard school system the year before it was built. But from what I was told they could still expand on to the build if had to be. Not sure where the funds would come from though.......
Old 12-27-16, 02:28 PM
All Ohio

The only reason I stated 50 was because that number has been thrown around by people within the school system as recently as 3 weeks ago to me.
Old 12-27-16, 03:14 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
What are Struthers open enrollment t figures?
Old 12-27-16, 04:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
What are Struthers open enrollment t figures?
I don't know.

You'll have to go onto a Struthers thread and ask them, this is a Hubbard thread so chances are no one on here would have an answer to your question.
Old 12-27-16, 11:00 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Anyone know which all-time Eagle coaches were the most successful and which were the least successful? And, why?

Maybe Roberto can help with these questions?