Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-20-17, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
SJA president is a top-notch person and business leader and likely a big reason for growth at the school.

Her brothers coached football at Ignatius and I used to run into her at various Ignatius athletic events back in the day, prior to her taking over at SJA after a successful business career. Perhaps those experiences have shown her the value in athletics as a method of stirring up alumni involvement.
There is no sports master plan at SJA...just some things have come together. A few motivated parents pushed SJA into rowing just as the crest of the wave was happening in that sport...and SJA very fortunately landed a young, excellent rowing coach...Ignatius alum, he just sort of fell into their lap. MAC Davis (pres) isn't pushing sports...I'd just say she's open to it and happy to have some driven people in certain sports...rather than just caretakers.

SJA has two major challenges...finding some sugar mommas and daddies...not really happening up to this point...women are funny about parting with their money; and, the seeming indifference toward the school from the nuns across the driveway.

P.S. Academics have improved significantly at SJA in the last decade, but the national merit numbers are fairly paltry, though generally a little more than Mag's in recent years.

Last edited by CatAlum; 01-20-17 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 07:02 AM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
I would add that Saint Joseph Academy made a nice basketball hire a few years ago. That program has been on the upswing since she arrived.

Additionally, the nuns across the driveway are far from indifferent. They are regulars in the school building and the young ladies who attend SJA are welcome to spend their lunch period at the nuns' residence each day.
Old 01-21-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
Additionally, the nuns across the driveway are far from indifferent. They are regulars in the school building and the young ladies who attend SJA are welcome to spend their lunch period at the nuns' residence each day.
I disagree with of some of this. A PM would be a better venue.
Old 01-23-17, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Kind of an interesting discussions on SJA as it kind of parallels Benny in many aspects, (Primarily middle class student body, Cleveland neighborhood location not very close to a freeway, conservative views on catholic doctrine, etc...). They seem to be thriving and it would be in Benedictine's best interest to take a look at what they are doing right and use some of those ideas in its admissions.

One thing that I found out that is different is SJA has never won a state title in OHSAA sanctioned tournament and sports where never high on the priority list but it seems that is changing. The volleyball team made the final four and have a strong core returning; their hoops program is also trending up. The non-OHSAA sanctioned rugby team is a powerhouse but in some circles that is considered a negative and reinforces a "butchy" stereotype of the school.
Old 01-23-17, 10:38 AM
Freshman

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Kind of an interesting discussions on SJA as it kind of parallels Benny in many aspects, (Primarily middle class student body, Cleveland neighborhood location not very close to a freeway, conservative views on catholic doctrine, etc...). They seem to be thriving and it would be in Benedictine's best interest to take a look at what they are doing right and use some of those ideas in its admissions.

One thing that I found out that is different is SJA has never won a state title in OHSAA sanctioned tournament and sports where never high on the priority list but it seems that is changing. The volleyball team made the final four and have a strong core returning; their hoops program is also trending up. The non-OHSAA sanctioned rugby team is a powerhouse but in some circles that is considered a negative and reinforces a "butchy" stereotype of the school.
Auggie, you are usually spot on in your research, but you better do more as it relates to SJA and Catholic doctrine. SJA and the Sisters of St. Joseph (SJA owners) are the most liberal of all Orders in the Diocese. They make the Jesuits look like members of the Opus Dei.

Let's get back to Bennie football.
Old 01-23-17, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbengal View Post
Auggie, you are usually spot on in your research, but you better do more as it relates to SJA and Catholic doctrine. SJA and the Sisters of St. Joseph (SJA owners) are the most liberal of all Orders in the Diocese. They make the Jesuits look like members of the Opus Dei.

Let's get back to Bennie football.
You don't know this topic that well. True, the CSJ order is very liberal, but they don't participate in the day to day delivery of theological instruction. Generally, my experience with SJA (as well as Mag's) is that they teach a very bland version of "love your neighbor". Catholic-focused doctrine isn't pushed too hard.

As for the Jesuits...I appreciate the general stereotype about Jesuits, but the midwestern Jesuits are pretty conservative and I doubt any Catholic high school in NEO is teaching more straight up Catholic doctrine than Ignatius.

As for Auggie's thoughts about Benny learning from SJA...in the city yes, but SJA resides in a solidly middle class neighborhood with lots of users within a mile of the school. Benny will be challenged to duplicate that.
Old 01-27-17, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

A lot of chatter that Mike Roberts is looking solid at the Senior Bowl, it will be interesting to see where he gets drafted.
Old 01-28-17, 09:06 AM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A lot of chatter that Mike Roberts is looking solid at the Senior Bowl, it will be interesting to see where he gets drafted.
Mike is training out in San Diego, has hired an agent from the Klutch Sports Group (Rich Paul's agency), and has been invited to the NFL combine in Indianapolis. A number of draft geeks have him going in the 3rd - 4th round.
Old 02-06-17, 09:01 AM
Varsity

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lots of coaching vacancies from my understanding.
Any word on replacements? Will freshman coaches get promoted or will Carter bring in new guys? Going to be some very important hirings.

Hoping that this year is our return to glory.
Old 02-06-17, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
Lots of coaching vacancies from my understanding.
Any word on replacements? Will freshman coaches get promoted or will Carter bring in new guys? Going to be some very important hirings.

More like a return to a string of sub .500 seasons. Welo is not the guy. He can't or more likely won't delegate. Not only is the head coach, he wants to be the O.C., and run the weightlifting program. He also is not a recruiter. He went to Ignatius and expects kids to come to him. This is Benedictine, where coaches have to go out and talk to kids. He has to work the halls of the school. He won't, too arrogant. Thus I see another black hole in Benedictine football.

As far as the freshman team goes, I hear that Coach Koby is moving down to run it. Great move, great person. That whole freshman staff should have been replaced years ago. Hopefully, they are grooming him to be the new head coach after the Welo experiment backfires.
Old 02-06-17, 10:50 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
"return to glory"? 14-1 state champs in 2014. 12-1 with tough double OT loss in playoffs in 2015. One 3-7 season and fans are talking "return to glory". Spoiled by all that success over the years!
Old 02-06-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
"return to glory"? 14-1 state champs in 2014. 12-1 with tough double OT loss in playoffs in 2015. One 3-7 season and fans are talking "return to glory". Spoiled by all that success over the years!
Benny seems to be a feast or famine type program with no middle ground. Part of this is the tough schedules they have had to play in the past but a big part is the inability to hold down a high level coach for any amount of time. Now the business has changed and many of these better coaches don't last very long at a catholic school, (who is the dean of the NCL at this time?) but there is no chain of succession set up so when a Joe Schaeffer moves on to a NCAA gig there is no young guy ready to step up and take his place.
Old 02-06-17, 07:37 PM
Freshman

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
More like a return to a string of sub .500 seasons. Welo is not the guy. He can't or more likely won't delegate. Not only is the head coach, he wants to be the O.C., and run the weightlifting program. He also is not a recruiter. He went to Ignatius and expects kids to come to him. This is Benedictine, where coaches have to go out and talk to kids. He has to work the halls of the school. He won't, too arrogant. Thus I see another black hole in Benedictine football.

As far as the freshman team goes, I hear that Coach Koby is moving down to run it. Great move, great person. That whole freshman staff should have been replaced years ago. Hopefully, they are grooming him to be the new head coach after the Welo experiment backfires.
Coach C was running the lifting program and retired.

The other Coach C who took over the lifting program took a more permanent position in Florida and left.

Thus there was no lifting coach and since he is in the building Coach W took over the lifting program for now. Oh the drama and dictatorial power he is wielding. Give me a break!

I have a feeling that if he wasn't involved you get on here and say, "oh see he can't connect with these kids and just delegates." He takes a hands on approach and you say he thinks that he has to run everything.

Coach W isn't a recruiter? That one made me laugh. He was a recruiter for a small college program for several years so to say he doesn't have experience with it is completely false. No it wasn't for Alabama or Ohio State but he has recruiting experience.

My gut tells me you don't like the guy and pretty much no matter what he does you'll put him down.

Admittedly whether it was his fault or not the fact that they went 3-7 last year means that he didn't do himself any favors this offseason. Everything he does will be questioned. The only way to overcome this is to win next year.

The Bengals won't be sub .500 next season. Mark it down. I'm not predicting a state championship by any stretch but the upcoming senior and junior class has much better talent and leadership than last year's senior class did. Does that mean that the coaches have to do their jobs well too? Of course it does.

I completely agree with you that Coach Koby running the freshman program is a great move

Last edited by TheRule; 02-06-17 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 08:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Benny seems to be a feast or famine type program with no middle ground. Part of this is the tough schedules they have had to play in the past but a big part is the inability to hold down a high level coach for any amount of time. Now the business has changed and many of these better coaches don't last very long at a catholic school, (who is the dean of the NCL at this time?) but there is no chain of succession set up so when a Joe Schaeffer moves on to a NCAA gig there is no young guy ready to step up and take his place.
Coach Polo wasn't a young guy ready to step up? What was the requirement? Go 3-7? I'm sure polo could have pulled that off. And would not have lost to Padua.
Old 02-06-17, 08:16 PM
Freshman

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coach Polo wasn't a young guy ready to step up? What was the requirement? Go 3-7? I'm sure polo could have pulled that off. And would not have lost to Padua.
But Polo wouldn't have beat NDCL like Welo did.

See I can play this make believe game too!

ps I really don't believe that but it is fun to just write hypotheticals as facts that can't be proven or unproven
Old 02-06-17, 09:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
Coach C was running the lifting program and retired.

The other Coach C who took over the lifting program took a more permanent position in Florida and left.

Thus there was no lifting coach and since he is in the building Coach W took over the lifting program for now. Oh the drama and dictatorial power he is wielding. Give me a break!

I have a feeling that if he wasn't involved you get on here and say, "oh see he can't connect with these kids and just delegates." He takes a hands on approach and you say he thinks that he has to run everything.

Coach W isn't a recruiter? That one made me laugh. He was a recruiter for a small college program for several years so to say he doesn't have experience with it is completely false. No it wasn't for Alabama or Ohio State but he has recruiting experience.

My gut tells me you don't like the guy and pretty much no matter what he does you'll put him down.

Admittedly whether it was his fault or not the fact that they went 3-7 last year means that he didn't do himself any favors this offseason. Everything he does will be questioned. The only way to overcome this is to win next year.

The Bengals won't be sub .500 next season. Mark it down. I'm not predicting a state championship by any stretch but the upcoming senior and junior class has much better talent and leadership than last year's senior class did. Does that mean that the coaches have to do their jobs well too? Of course it does.

I completely agree with you that Coach Koby running the freshman program is a great move
Wow, your first post and you know the inner workings down on MLK. Here are some things you don't know.
1. Coach Conohan did not retire, he was forced out by Welo and Lorber because they wanted someone younger.
2. John Berdysz offered to help and run the lifting program over the summer. He was told his services would not be needed.
3. Several football players have already abandoned Welo's lifting program and are turning to others for guidance.
If you think Welos the guy, good for you. For me, I've been down this road before. I've seen kids quit on a coach before. Welo tenure will be short, trust me.
Old 02-07-17, 10:35 AM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Wow, your first post and you know the inner workings down on MLK. Here are some things you don't know.
1. Coach Conohan did not retire, he was forced out by Welo and Lorber because they wanted someone younger.
2. John Berdysz offered to help and run the lifting program over the summer. He was told his services would not be needed.
3. Several football players have already abandoned Welo's lifting program and are turning to others for guidance.
If you think Welos the guy, good for you. For me, I've been down this road before. I've seen kids quit on a coach before. Welo tenure will be short, trust me.
Troll Status.
Old 02-07-17, 12:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ene456 View Post
Troll Status.
No sir, my posts are based or reality. It's amazing when you walk down the athletic wing or sit in the stands, keeping your pie hole shut and your eyes and ears open, what information you can gather. The funny thing is, the vast majority of it comes straight from the horse's mouths.
Old 02-07-17, 09:26 PM
Varsity

Go bengals

Last edited by fac974; 02-07-17 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Bad info
Old 02-07-17, 10:33 PM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
Welo is Lorbers puppet that's the only reason he got the job. Hopefully they will both get canned and we can get back to Benedictine Football. Welo isn't the right guy for the job. I know you guys will say this trolling but it isn't its the truth. Lorber is part of the problem not the solution.
Old 02-08-17, 05:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfever123 View Post
Welo is Lorbers puppet that's the only reason he got the job. Hopefully they will both get canned and we can get back to Benedictine Football. Welo isn't the right guy for the job. I know you guys will say this trolling but it isn't its the truth. Lorber is part of the problem not the solution.
Lorber is married to Abbot Gary's niece. He's not going anywhere.
Old 02-08-17, 08:51 AM
All American

Bengal Nation is on a distinguished road
This thread since 2-6-17 has turned into a sewer pit of personal grievances and gossip not unlike the tabloids. Get a life gents or better yet, get a job!
Old 02-08-17, 10:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Nation View Post
This thread since 2-6-17 has turned into a sewer pit of personal grievances and gossip not unlike the tabloids. Get a life gents or better yet, get a job!
Do you mean, like what you said after Welo was hired? Quote "Old St. Greg's connection with Lorber..." (gossip) or when Benedictine went for two against TCC: "It's a shame the coaches let emotions rule and take the end result out of the hands of the kids. Kick the PAT and if you believe you're the better team, it usually works itself out. You handed the game over to TCC on a silver platter. Merry Christmas Irish!" (personal grievances)
Remember those without sin cast the first stone.
Old 02-08-17, 12:41 PM
Varsity

It's a shame D Reese transfered out and choose not to get his diploma from Benedictine.
Old 02-08-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

Matt Wilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is my first post, and this is my real name. If you are going to spread hearsay and bold face lies, then post your real name so we can all see where it comes from and talk directly to you. I am very visible at Benedictine, you can find me almost anytime. Since I am no longer a contracted coach, I feel the need to set things straight. If I was a contracted coach, I would have thought a little longer and probably done the same at the end of the day, for the betterment of the place that has given my family and I so much.

1. Coach Conochan was not forced out. That man was like a second father to those who played for him, especially myself, Chris, Joe...etc. That did not happen and would not happen, so stop that nonsense.

Benedictine is a special place, one that most won't understand, but the very few that have been through it and received its message, will undoubtedly understand. It takes a special person to come together with all walks of life, from every corner of this great city, and to make it 4 years, transforming from a boy to a man. I did, and I would never attack a fellow M.O.B. the way you are trying to. For what, why? Why would you do this? Why would you, who dons the nickname "ora et labora", for those following at home it means pray and work, openly bash a fellow M.O.B.?

Chris has done absolutely everything the right way, tirelessly searching for people to put in place to keep our rich tradition going. Chris Lorber conducts himself in a manner that people twice his age wish they could, and for a father, wishes his son would grow up to be one day. He comes from a hard working, blue collar family, with deep catholic roots. And he leads the athletics of one of the most tradition rich programs in the country. He is the first one there and the last one to leave everyday. I cannot stress to you how he holds himself to the highest standards. He is a perfectionist in every way possible, if it is not right, it will be before long. This is how we were taught, by the fine people at Benedictine and our families, this is how Chris carries himself everyday. This is leadership from the top, and the trickle down effect follows. Chris Lorber is truly a man of Benedictine.

I would like to see how anybody would have done, losing your basketball, football, and baseball coaches within a little over a year of each other.
You do know, it takes a certain type of coach to come to Benedictine, and I'm not only talking mindset, how about salary, but I won't get into that. Give it some time my man, let the process work.

Carter Welo is a leader, has been his whole life, nothing has changed. The man has an unbelievable work ethic, knowledge of the game and incredible passion for coaching. He is a winner in all walks of life, someone these boys should be proud to call there coach. He will turn things around very shortly.

So, we have a down year in the first year of a new coaching staff, that has to be the second outcome that you discussed in the off-season last year. #1 should have been, man we could make it back to the regional finals with this group if everyone is healthy and its a seamless transition with the new guy. #2 had to be, new coaching staff, new system...might be a rough year, but alot of young guys will get looks. It's guys like you, who infiltrate the kids minds and start the negative spew with the impressionable alumni after a couple weeks. I form my own opinions and will never be swayed by others opinions. I'm a see for my self kind of guy. But when you come on here and bash Carter for doing all he can, being accountable for his program, that's garbage in my book. Also, you get all the kids wondering if what you are saying is true...Oh, you didn't know? Yes, the majority, if not all of the kids come on here and look what you guys say.

As a former student, former player, alumni, former coach and advocate for Benedictine High School, I take great offense when you bash guys who are there for the kids. Both of these guys care tremendously for Benedictine High school and the players and students. Why start trouble from behind a computer?

Matt Wilson
M.O.B. '02
Old 02-08-17, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

Welcome Matt.

While it is admirable that you jumped in feet 1st and you may be correct and want to set the record straight the better way to engage in this type of debate would be to post something broad and then get specific through a private message. You would be surprised at how folks will come forward themselves, outside of our good buddy RedBlue, via a private message as they too tend to be supporters of the school but see things through a different lens.
Old 02-08-17, 04:55 PM
Freshman

Matt Wilson is on a distinguished road
You may be right, I probably shouldn't even said anything at all. But when a former player who is still at that school reaches out to me and says they're bashing our boys, I had to take a look. Frankly, if I have a problem with the way something is going and I feel my opinion needs to be heard, I go to the source and we talk like men. That's how I was taught by people like Coach Bossu , Russ, Bortnick and Coach Conochan. I don't come to a website, use an alias, and Stir up a bunch of unneeded trouble. I was man would tell you to your face, not go on a website where everybody in the world could see your biased feelings. And please don't say, this is what this website is for.
Old 02-08-17, 08:45 PM
Moderated User

RedBlue has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Matt nice to hear you actually say something positive about Coach Bortnick. If you didn't know he has been at Sandusky as the defensive coordinator/ assistant head coach. From what I see he has had a very positive impact there. There is a lot of Bossu in Bortnick and he may be coaching until he is 90. Unfortunate that Bene could not benefit since he no longer teaches and just focuses his effort on coaching .
Old 02-28-17, 02:53 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
All has been quiet on the Benedictine Football Yappi front lines. Matt threw down the gauntlet. It was just what the doctor ordered. Although, I miss reading all of the masses likes and dislikes about the current football situation at Benedictine. Matt was just defending his friends. He didn't mean to scare you all away. I'm sure of it. You too are alumni of the school. Many have lived through years of Benedictine football and are fully aware of what has happened in the past. Some of it is currently mirroring the past.
Old 03-01-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

The hoops team is playing well, say what you will about Stricula but the one thing the guy does is know how to win.